Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
nice four acts, buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I've been workshopping this for a while in the discord and doing a test run this weekend. I think it might need some work, and I'll probably end up not using JP scroll in actual runs, if only for no other reason than having red mage and a priest or wizard at the same time can get immensely confusing under the rules I came up with.

Not sure how I'm going to get through Miluda without a lot of grinding though.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Can Of Worms posted:

*crawls up from under the floorboards of the 2017 Fiesta thread*

Try the extra spicy randomizer, which I quickly cooked up for last year's Fiesta! Drag a GBA ROM onto the randomizer.exe program to get two randomized roms; a Mild randomized ROM and an Extra Spicy randomized ROM. The Mild randomization shuffles each job's skill tree and base skill so you can theoretically get a White Mage with !Rapid Fire, or a Beastmaster with !Call. The Extra Spicy randomization is... a bit more intense. Not only does it randomize skill trees and base skills, it randomizes them per character. You might end up with a Bartz Knight with !Flirt who learns !Chakra, while a Lenna Knight could have !Calm and learn !Summon 5. Spoiler files are provided by the program to help deal with this insanity. Source code here.

Here's an example of an extra spicy ROM I used for playtesting (party of Knight, Samurai, Berserker, Bard.)
Is that pretty much complete? Depending on my available time I might try showing it off to the LP Romhack thread before it expired again.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/999890844072136706
a slightly different hint

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Recommended: Fiesta
Forbidden: Ivalice

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

NGDBSS posted:

Is that pretty much complete? Depending on my available time I might try showing it off to the LP Romhack thread before it expired again.
It's about 95% complete; there are no game breaking bugs as far as I'm aware but there are some small tweaks I want to make for this Fiesta season. The two important ones are removing !Kick from the skill options since it's literally useless if you don't have Barehanded and reduce the AP costs in the new trees, and I'll probably add a seeding feature, but otherwise it'll be unchanged.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

agradine posted:

Posting this link again: my compilation of the changes between the Mobile/Steam port and the GBA version:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ff5fjf/comments/8l29r7/differences_between_mobile_iosandroidsteam_and/

tl;dr:
*Most glitches/exploits fixed.
*Classes hit with some version of a nerf bat: Chemist, Time Mage, Blue Mage, and especially Beastmaster
*Classes somewhat buffed: Berserker, Geomancer, Bard
*For Ninjas, Dancing Dagger/Double Lance is the new Double Lance/Chicken Knife
*Bosses are a bigger pain, mostly due to the Heavy tag causing status effects to wear off much quicker, also full-party magic damage splitting not being quite as extreme.
*Also React scripts counter commands and not actions, so good luck against Omega and Rugwizard!
*Enemy sprites look amazing, all other graphics look much worse (though I'll say in general it tends to look better in play than it does in any screenshots I've seen)

There are some other minor changes, but these are the biggest ones you'll most likely encounter

I'd like to add that Double Lance gets the Jump! double damage, putting it on par with the Chicken Knife for damage.
And the buff to magic splitting makes reflecting off your party even more effective
Thief owns because you get Dash all the time

In general, anyone ask me about mobile, I've done all 11 of my Fiesta runs on mobile like a madman. I did 7 last year and plan on topping that.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Nasgate posted:

I'd like to add that Double Lance gets the Jump! double damage, putting it on par with the Chicken Knife for damage.

As a side-bar, Holy Lance already out-damages Chicken Knife with Jump 90% of the time, and you practically get them at the same time. I think Dragoon might be the most pointless Chicken knife user.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pneub posted:

As a side-bar, Holy Lance already out-damages Chicken Knife with Jump 90% of the time, and you practically get them at the same time. I think Dragoon might be the most pointless Chicken knife user.

There are a few things you don't want to use Holy on, most notably the gargoyles guarding tablets. (Shinryu too, but if you're taking on Shinryu you're either farming Dragon Lances or berserking him and don't need strong weapons.)

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Pneub posted:

I'm Talking about thief. You can't use Twin Lance on Dragoon. Though I will say that a Dragoon with mug and CK is better for random encounters than Holy Lance just because it kills an enemy quicker than jumping. Edit: Also I just looked at my run and the other classes were White and Black mage, so Goon did the most CK damage by a large margin

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 25, 2018

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Awww yeah

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Aww poo poo, it's almost that time again...

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I was wondering where this topic was when I checked like, 2 weeks ago, I coulda sworn you usually posted them earlier than this.

Once again stoked for the fiesta, I'll try to keep my inane rambling to a minimum this year (can't guarantee it though!)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bufuman posted:

I was wondering where this topic was when I checked like, 2 weeks ago, I coulda sworn you usually posted them earlier than this.

Yeah, I've been slammed with starting a new job, and it was also to head off the usual issues of it being like a month before pre-reg when I post a topic and people just sorta "well now what"-ing. :v:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Nasgate posted:

And the buff to magic splitting makes reflecting off your party even more effective

In general, anyone ask me about mobile, I've done all 11 of my Fiesta runs on mobile like a madman. I did 7 last year and plan on topping that.

I am another person who has only ever played the game (and done now 17 FJF runs over three years) on my iPhone. And yes, Thief jumps up two full tiers in the Matrix versions for dash and for being able to auto-battle Flee, which is the only good way (along with Smoke) to grind out the Chicken Knife and which will speed up your runs by a power of ten. Having a Thief or Ninja really, really helps a Matrix version run.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Nasgate posted:

My understanding is that this has always been true about the Double Lance. If memory serves me, I think the Man Eater too?

The difference in the Mobile version is that the Double Lance procs twice with attack abilities (like !Dance or !Jump)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

agradine posted:

My understanding is that this has always been true about the Double Lance. If memory serves me, I think the Man Eater too?

Yeah, both the Double Lance and the Man Eater are coded to use the Spear formula for their damage calculations, including the bonus to damage from !Jump.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

When people refer to the Thief's Dash, are you talking about auto running on the field instead of holding a button? The GBA version has that too. Not to mention that you can fast forward through your running battles to speed up CK powering way faster than the mobile version.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Yes but you cannot fast forward the mobile version, thus setting Flee (or Smoke) to auto-battle is the only reasonable way to power up the Chicken Knife. Honestly in three years I've probably fully powered up the CK maybe three times.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

OzFactor posted:

Yes but you cannot fast forward the mobile version, thus setting Flee (or Smoke) to auto-battle is the only reasonable way to power up the Chicken Knife. Honestly in three years I've probably fully powered up the CK maybe three times.

Ive been lucky to get thief pretty much all the time. Especially with getting bm/goon so i could hold a sand bear in place and steal the 4th best spear before beating w1

Similarly thief+zerk for an early gaia hammer.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Nasgate posted:

Ive been lucky to get thief pretty much all the time. Especially with getting bm/goon so i could hold a sand bear in place and steal the 4th best spear before beating w1

Similarly thief+zerk for an early gaia hammer.

And man does having a Thief make having a Dancer tolerable in W2 (tiaras in the Ruins). Thieves are great! They make everyone better!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Thief is in the same boat as White Mage and Bard, solid support character but complete crap by themselves until late game.

But that’s why you get three other jobs! Of course, now I’m picturing a Thief/WM/Bard/Geo run...

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Thief is in the same boat as White Mage and Bard, solid support character but complete crap by themselves until late game.

But that’s why you get three other jobs! Of course, now I’m picturing a Thief/WM/Bard/Geo run...

Nonsense! You have a Thief with !Mug and Chicken Knife, a Bard to make everyone a badass and... and two healers.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Powering up the Chicken Knife isn't that bad (I play on the SFC version w/translation patch), especially if you're avoiding most random encounters outside of specific grind spots. If you really want to power it up fast you can just use the goblin-in-a-box in the tutorial house.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

OzFactor posted:

I've found the auto-battle to be sufficiently fast enough to grind out the CK runs, especially if I'm watching/listening to something else at the same time.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Just lol if your chicken knife isn't already at full power by the time you pick it up.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, Thief is a great quality of life class. Immunity to back attacks, the ability to just "nope" the gently caress out of bad random encounters, plus all the useful crap you can steal way ahead of the power curve, like farming free hi-potions on the Fire Ship when they're not available in stores until you get to the second world... and worst comes to worst, !Mug lets you shank fools in the face with the Chicken Knife without worry.

If you have a good deal of familiarity with the game, Thief is legitimately one of the best jobs you can pull for the Fiesta.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mega64 posted:

That sounds like a great job roll.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Nonsense! You have a Thief with !Mug and Chicken Knife, a Bard to make everyone a badass and... and two healers.

Yeah, in World 3.

What about Soul Cannon? Or Atomos? Or hell, Adamantoise?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, in World 3.

eh, you got a white mage. you'll live.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Thieves aren't useless, but I would still put them in the bottom five easily when it comes to usefulness in combat. Dancer is way better as a Chicken Knife wielder. If it wasn't for stealing Ninja would almost be strictly better as a class.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, in World 3.

We're having dual conversations here and Discord. I'll give the same answer I gave there:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Admiral Joeslop posted:

e: NM, misread the party suggestion

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
You know your party is bad when overall things will be easier swapping a Red Mage in for a White.

e:VVVVVV In non-Matrix FFV, the Chicken Knife is fully powered up after 254 escapes, so if you require more than that they changed the formula.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 26, 2018

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Cattail Prophet posted:

Just lol if your chicken knife isn't already at full power by the time you pick it up.

You know, this isn't the first time I've seen this comment in these threads over the years, and it makes me wonder if a) the encounter rate is significantly lower in the Matrix versions, or b) the calculation for the Chicken Knife is different. Because I have never gotten to the CK with it even remotely close to full power, and I almost never fight anything unless I'm grinding.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I think the best I managed was about half power, when I had a team that wasn't conducive to random battles.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think the only time I did was last year with Thief Tri-zerker party. Other times I'm fighting what I come across with a few exceptions.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, in World 3.

Matrix Geo makes Adamantoise a joke. Bard can sleep harp Atomos iirc. Soul cannon would indeed be rather unfun.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Nasgate posted:

Bard can sleep harp Atomos iirc.

Atomos is heavy, so no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Kyrosiris posted:

Atomos is heavy, so no.

.dd
"Is Atomos fukkin heavy or something?"