Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It's possible he changed his mind but he wrote, shot and edited those scenes together for a reason only for the studio to tell him no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

It's possible he changed his mind but he wrote, shot and edited those scenes together for a reason only for the studio to tell him no.

Pretty sure he knew of the 2-hour (plus a bit) limit all along, and cut the movie the way he wanted within that constraint. Meanwhile, the fanedit is based on the shooting script which Lynch must have known to contain stuff that would and should never be in the final movie.

And yet, it's a terrific thing that they eventually released those extra bits as The Missing Pieces, and the fanedit is super neat, too.

edit: Here's a Lynch quote from Wikipedia:

quote:

"I had a limit on the running time of the picture. We shot many scenes that—for a regular feature—were too tangential to keep the main story progressing properly. We thought it might be good sometime to do a longer version with these other things in, because a lot of the characters that are missing in the finished movie had been filmed. They're part of the picture, they're just not necessary for the main story." According to Lynch, had the film included these scenes, it "wouldn't have been quite so dark. To me it obeyed the laws of Twin Peaks. But a little bit of the goofiness had to be removed."

Zat fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 24, 2018

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That's a great quote, and actually supports the fan edit perfectly.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I fell like the extended lodge meeting scene from the missing pieces is one of the most important scenes in the entire mythology. AHNIMAL LOIF

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zat posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't really recommend the fanedit to be your first watch either, but I still like it. It turns the movie from a horror movie into something that feels very similar in tone to the original series' best episodes. But it does change the tone and pacing dramatically, which is really not how your first experience should be.

So yes, you should rather watch the original cut and then The Missing Pieces. And then, if you fancy a rewatch sooner or later, then the Q2 fanedit is not a bad choice.
I mean yeah, it changes the pacing, but I'd disagree that it stops it from being horrific. There's still plenty of horrifying scenes in the fan edit. It's not like the creator took away crucial scenes from the theatrical version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxH3O77uXIw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogqah6gc9ww

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Gotta say, after rewatching the first 2 episodes, it's very evident that things are very wrong with this timeline from the get go. Just things that I may not have noticed on my first viewing.

Your approach to analyzing media, and please don't take this as an insult, is the approach of an idiot. I'm using "idiot" here in its traditional sense, rather than the one that you are most likely tempted to understand it by, which is, "one who is incapable of understanding essential premises of human life." Rather, here I'm using it to mean, "one who is incapable of understanding nuance in media."

Again, I think that you have a perfectly idiotic (see above) approach to understanding this show. This approach is one inculcated through approx. 10 years of LOST, which is the Puzzle Box.

The Puzzle Box is an approach that one gets primarily through commercials, which you seem to have apprehended expertly. It's a perfectly fine bougie approach to media, and TV especially.

Consumption of media becomes a way to prove one's marginal worth in a harsh capitalist society! Nice! Nice work, in figuring out the discrete series of symbols that will allow you extract tens of dollars from analyzing the show on The Onion Dot Com. I'm glad that you've finally found your niche. I'd love [audible, heartly but diseased laughter] to hear more about your "unique" approach to David Lynch's magnum opus.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m assuming we all know better than to rise to a sector_corrector post by now, right? ok good

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I mean yeah, it changes the pacing, but I'd disagree that it stops it from being horrific. There's still plenty of horrifying scenes in the fan edit. It's not like the creator took away crucial scenes from the theatrical version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxH3O77uXIw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogqah6gc9ww

Oh, no doubt. AFAIK, the fanedit doesn't remove anything, and I didn't mean to say there's not horrific stuff even in some of the added scenes. It's just that sprinkling the movie with lighter, comedic scenes throughout, it basically changes it from being a constantly distressing, difficult-to-watch pain trip into whatever Twin Peaks usually is (though still a bit more intense).

Zat fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 25, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sector_corrector posted:

Your approach to analyzing media, and please don't take this as an insult, is the approach of an idiot. I'm using "idiot" here in its traditional sense, rather than the one that you are most likely tempted to understand it by, which is, "one who is incapable of understanding essential premises of human life." Rather, here I'm using it to mean, "one who is incapable of understanding nuance in media."

Again, I think that you have a perfectly idiotic (see above) approach to understanding this show. This approach is one inculcated through approx. 10 years of LOST, which is the Puzzle Box.

The Puzzle Box is an approach that one gets primarily through commercials, which you seem to have apprehended expertly. It's a perfectly fine bougie approach to media, and TV especially.

Consumption of media becomes a way to prove one's marginal worth in a harsh capitalist society! Nice! Nice work, in figuring out the discrete series of symbols that will allow you extract tens of dollars from analyzing the show on The Onion Dot Com. I'm glad that you've finally found your niche. I'd love [audible, heartly but diseased laughter] to hear more about your "unique" approach to David Lynch's magnum opus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1zBz8mYVGg

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The fan edit is good because of the lumber scene and is worth it for that

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I really love having the whole complete Adventures of Agents Chet Desmond and Sam Stanley - he's the man who cracked the Whitman case.

I'd seriously have watched an entire spinoff film (or TV series for that matter) starring those two.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
With a year of reflection behind me, I can now say that for as much as I adored TPs3, I don't think there ought to be a S4. As much as I want to just bask in the weird world, S3 was such a singular event that won't ever be repeated, it was pulled off close to perfectly, and it's a pretty poignant bookend to S1. Anything more would risk oversaturation I think.

Now, I would be interested in maaaaybe a 2 hr Fire Walk With Me-style closer film, especially if it gave nice send-offs to Josie, Harry Truman, Audrey, Gordon, etc... but I don't really need mere fan-service (and Lynch and Frost obviously don't mind denying fans what they want). I mean, I'm sure whatever project Lynch/Frost would commit to in the future wouldn't be something they don't believe in, I just think that there's a lot of important emotions and themes that really pop if S3 is all there is. "You can't go home again..." and all that

edit: But agreed, Chet and Pals Solve Crimes would be a fun spinoff!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok I just made sure I had enough weed to get me through a rewatch it’s time to rewatch

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m assuming we all know better than to rise to a sector_corrector post by now, right? ok good

Whats the worst that could happen? More weakass, longwinded posting?

Hey sector_corrector, gently caress YOU!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really quickly wanna go back to memories of watching the first episode of The Return when it premiered. I remember the first several minutes were cool and interesting to me but I wasn’t totally hooked yet and then that loving Muddy Magnolias remix came on over a classic Lynch headlights at night shot and it was amazing and then gently caress IT’S THE DOPPELGÄNGER OH MY GOD HE’S BEEN RUNNING AROUND FREE FOR OVER TWO DECADES OH poo poo. It was such an incredible moment of TV for me.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

kaworu posted:

It's funny it reminds me of a random Star Wars episode I was watching. Geordi walks in on Data in his quarters staring at a blank screen in silence, and asks him what he's doing. Data replies that he's reading poetry, to which Geordi retorts that there is nothing on the screen. Data explains that this is not technically true, as the blank space and silent, empty time have a distinct contextual meaning all their own. He explains that a particular culture he is studying writes poetry with such lacunae - blank and empty spacing, some lasting hours or days.

I would say that Lynch is masterful at using both deceptively 'empty' spaces absent of engaging visuals or exposition or a clear point. But it never means there is NO point. Because even within proper context, simply empty space and silent time can have significant and profound meaning, in my own estimation.

Classic scene from Attack of the Clones.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm looking to buy season 3 on blu ray shortly, but it looks like there's 2 different versions:

A 'slipcase' one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Twin-Peaks-Limited-Slipcase-Version/dp/B077SWZCWJ

and a limited edition one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Twin-Peaks-Limited-Packaging-Blu-ray/dp/B075MVHM41

I can't seem to find much in the way of a description for the difference in packaging though and all videos i've found look like people opening up a cool flip front.

The slipcase version is like half the price though, but is it just going to be the usual extra large blue hinged number that usually breaks really easily or doesn't quite fit in the case properly?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kin posted:

I'm looking to buy season 3 on blu ray shortly, but it looks like there's 2 different versions:

A 'slipcase' one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Twin-Peaks-Limited-Slipcase-Version/dp/B077SWZCWJ

and a limited edition one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Twin-Peaks-Limited-Packaging-Blu-ray/dp/B075MVHM41

I can't seem to find much in the way of a description for the difference in packaging though and all videos i've found look like people opening up a cool flip front.

The slipcase version is like half the price though, but is it just going to be the usual extra large blue hinged number that usually breaks really easily or doesn't quite fit in the case properly?
The slipcase one is the version I have, but it's not in a regular blue plastic Blu-Ray case. It's a printed case within the case that folds out with all the discs.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Hmm, so what's the differing between that and the limited edition one?

Any chance you can take a picture of it? It's hard to visualise what you mean.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kin posted:

Hmm, so what's the differing between that and the limited edition one?

Any chance you can take a picture of it? It's hard to visualise what you mean.
I'm not at home to take a picture of mine now but:

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I have a version where the jagged part between the two faces slides apart. It is neat, but not neat enough to pay extra...

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
There's only one US release, yeah?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

antidote posted:

I have a version where the jagged part between the two faces slides apart. It is neat, but not neat enough to pay extra...
That's the one I have! It wasn't any extra. In fact, I got it on sale so it was relatively cheap.

Origami Dali posted:

There's only one US release, yeah?
Only one that I know of, at least.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

That's the one I have! It wasn't any extra. In fact, I got it on sale so it was relatively cheap.

The slipcase version's jagged part doesn't slide apart but opens like a bookcover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtrtRYyeZ94&t=159s

But yeah, it certainly looks like a nice enough version without any big compromises.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i want one where the two half faces lift away to reveal a full dougie underneath

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The Walrus posted:

i want one where the two half faces lift away to reveal a full dougie underneath

That is like... basically what the initial special editions boxes do you know...

Please refer to Kimmy Robertson's adorable unboxing here; you can even just see it in the thumbnail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWYaPmhQq_8

I seriously cannot believe that Kimmy Robertson was born in the 1954 and is currently 64 years old (Peggy Lipton is in her early '70s what)

Really, though. Like, I always thought my mom looks super-young for her age - and she does! But like... My mother looks like, say, a normal woman you'd guess to be about ~50, maybe a little older probably a bit younger, But Kimmy Robertson looks like she just hit about ~45 years old but you can tell looks young for her age. Like I look at her and say, "Oh, a young-looking woman in her '40s". It's crazy.

I wanted to add something more Twin Peaks related but it's all been relegated to my dreams, my thoughts on the story... Oh!

One thing though! I finally figured out the building I couldn't quite place that The Fireman's deeply reminded me of, and it's a pretty famous building that has been used in sci-fi series before, off the top of my head it was in Star Wars: TNG - one of the worse late season cliffhangers, 'Descent' I think and also at lest a few of the first seasons of Power Rangers.. Anyway. The building is called the Brandeis-Bardin institute and I believe is part of a campus,.

Here is an image of it with Vasquez Rocks overlayed in front of it - I don't know if this shot is from what TV show or film but this is not the real location of the building but it is the image I had in my head that reminded me SO MUCH of that exterior of The Fireman's place.

It just... Not a lot of buildings look that way! Made of stone with shapes like that.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 29, 2018

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ah, so both versions have the red curtain insert that folds out and the only difference is the front that either swings open or slides apart? (though presumably the slide apart version is also made of a more robust card material).

Basically, not worth an extra £30.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Hey all,

I was in Bermuda this past weekend and before we went to bed one night my girlfriend and I decided to watch Twin Peaks on Netflix. The episodes for season 3 appeared on the website, and it seemed like the episodes for seasons 1 and 2 were gone, so we started watching season 3. I'm back in the states now and it appears that seasons 1 and 2 are back and season 3 is missing from Netflix. Is this a regional thing?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Hey all,

I was in Bermuda this past weekend and before we went to bed one night my girlfriend and I decided to watch Twin Peaks on Netflix. The episodes for season 3 appeared on the website, and it seemed like the episodes for seasons 1 and 2 were gone, so we started watching season 3. I'm back in the states now and it appears that seasons 1 and 2 are back and season 3 is missing from Netflix. Is this a regional thing?

Season 3 has never been on US Netflix. Showtime and Neflix used to have a streaming deal worked out but that ended years ago. I guess they still have a deal in place for certain other countries.

AFAIK, there is no way to stream Season 3 in the states except for Showtime's site.

edit: or Hulu maybe?

wa27 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 29, 2018

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

wa27 posted:

Season 3 has never been on US Netflix. Showtime and Neflix used to have a streaming deal worked out but that ended years ago. I guess they still have a deal in place for certain other countries.

AFAIK, there is no way to stream Season 3 in the states except for Showtime's site.

edit: or Hulu maybe?

it's streaming on amazon prime video if you opt into the 9 (?) dollars a month for the showtime channel

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
One of you fine souls recommended the album Rausch by Gas in this thread and for the life of me, I can't find your post but I just wanted to say... thanks...

Gas is my new atmospheric electronic sensation and I just can't get enough. Well scouted, friend.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

mary had a little clam posted:

One of you fine souls recommended the album Rausch by Gas in this thread and for the life of me, I can't find your post but I just wanted to say... thanks...

Gas is my new atmospheric electronic sensation and I just can't get enough. Well scouted, friend.
I haven't heard Rausch yet (didn't even know he had a new album out), but Narkopop is so loving good. Thanks for letting me know I have that to listen to!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Pop and Zauberberg are straight-up masterpieces.

Fit very well with the Lynch aesthetic.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Been waiting since I saw Last Jedi in theaters to do this (I just remembered it this morning though)

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Pop and Zauberberg are straight-up masterpieces.

Fit very well with the Lynch aesthetic.

Gonna have to check out that new album. When talking about the evil that lurks in the woods, you should definitely mention Königsforst, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehNGoyMf9kU&t=1800s

While we're talking about musicians from Cologne, I always have to think of this song by Can when I watch episode 8. You can probably guess why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC---hQcPQ0&t=687s

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Flyinglemur posted:

Been waiting since I saw Last Jedi in theaters to do this (I just remembered it this morning though)

It was worth the wait.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

BigFactory posted:

It was worth the wait.

I call it "What Light Year Is It?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Only peripherally Twin Peaks related, but since we were talking about it a while ago, the Italians Do It Better store is back online, heavily redesigned so you can actually sort by products now and the MP3s and stuff are back. And they've also announced new Chromatics and Desire albums. I'm gonna wind up with everything they put out eventually just from padding out my orders so the shipping costs are worth it.

Also, lent my Twin Peaks gold box to a friend who's never seen beyond two or three episodes. I felt it was prudent to tell him in advance to stick with it throughout season 2.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 4, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Flyinglemur posted:

:allears: Goddamn, hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

For your consideration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spgHqAOVrUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHQUa7clhJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqyYnQtOqBM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vwhTHOnyB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmuH1042AFo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hqs4nokGsU