Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

McSpanky posted:

In a thread that's significantly about recognizing that people in positions of power and authority can sexually abuse others with much greater ease, nuance and access than the stereotypical back alley violent rapist, you can't come to grips with the fact that a totalitarian dictator is de facto the biggest abuser of them all. Like, even hypothetically.

This argument gets more bizarre as it goes on. Straight up - there is no reason whatsoever to believe what a three letter agency says in a tabloid about someone they'd tried to assassinate two dozen times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Just while this thread is on this particular weird derail, can anyone recommend a book on the many attempts to kill Castro? I'm kind of curious how you mess that up that many times.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This argument gets more bizarre as it goes on. Straight up - there is no reason whatsoever to believe what a three letter agency says in a tabloid about someone they'd tried to assassinate two dozen times.

Even hypothetically.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Vegetable posted:

How many classic comedies have been tainted by the lovely people involved? Of all my favorite stuff: Arrested Development (Tambor and these jerkoffs), 30 Rock (Baldwin), Community (Harmon) and Seinfeld (Kramer). The Office is probably one of the only clean ones left.

I always feel weird when people say this. Kramer is a comedian that as far as I know did nothing wrong. Michael Richards played him in Seinfeld, but he's also a real dude.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

McSpanky posted:

Even hypothetically.

wtf does that even mean mon

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

NovemberMike posted:

I always feel weird when people say this. Kramer is a comedian that as far as I know did nothing wrong. Michael Richards played him in Seinfeld, but he's also a real dude.

What?

Seriously, what?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

What?

Seriously, what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Kramer

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I've liked Michael Richards ever since the story about him leaving a massive tip at an LA diner.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Snowman_McK posted:

What?

Seriously, what?

He was listing guys by show and irl last name and said Kramer instead of Richards when he got to Seinfeld and the other poster pretended to be confused. We all know he meant Michael Richards, though with Richards it was racism and not sexual harassment.

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches
Harvey Weinstein's been arrested.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Really thought we would have gotten a Roman Polanski scenario with Weinstein's. Wonder if he will roll on other people?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think that's what got him arrested, OP.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i love how often arguments on SA consist of one person repeating themselves over and over, while the other person kramers around the room talking about literally everything else except the thing being repeated

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Snowman_McK posted:

Just while this thread is on this particular weird derail, can anyone recommend a book on the many attempts to kill Castro? I'm kind of curious how you mess that up that many times.

I would also like to read the book about this. I’ll see if I find something myself and report back Snowman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i love how often arguments on SA consist of one person repeating themselves over and over, while the other person kramers around the room talking about literally everything else except the thing being repeated

Is "kramering around the room" a thing?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I know about Kramering into a room, maybe that's what they meant?

It was how he'd come bursting through the door and end up sliding 5 feet because of his momentum.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Talking about all kinds of random poo poo is fun though, it's basically my favourite pastime.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

it's when someone kramers in the door and just keeps kramering, sliding off around the room, bouncing against walls. he kramers against your toilet, busting it up big time. you get the feeling he's trying to say something to you but he's kramering at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. as he finally nails a window and falls out you think you hear him exclaim "Fidel Castro is the biggest rapist, that's what's so CRAZY about this" on the way down

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

McSpanky posted:

Even hypothetically.

Out of principle the hypothetical is rejected. Got em.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

And out on bail.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

I've liked Michael Richards ever since the story about him leaving a massive tip at an LA diner.

Don't worry, you're not the only "Nathan For You" fan here.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Fart City posted:

Isn’t he buds with Alex Jones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR8QIi4xTWg

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So apparently the Observer is trying to debunk the sexual assault accusations against George Takei, but they don't really make a strong case. Basically, they claim that because the victim was unclear on some details about an incident that happened a long time ago including if he was actually drugged or not, and because they couldn't find evidence that Takei was a repeat offender, Takei must be innocent. They also try to make the accuser look like a racist. Coincidentally, the author of the article was writing a book with a segment about Takei.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The author does a lot of waffling to minimize the one detail of the claim that remains consistent. He manages to take, 'A guy is just taking off another guy's pants and about to take off their underwear while they're in a state of disorientation and intoxication' and turn it into, 'Making a move.'

Does it recuperate Takei's rep somewhat by making it clear that he didn't keep proceeding when the guy felt invaded upon? Sure.

But it's also a very good example of what we see time and time again: The complete exclusion of any conception of affirmative consent, the deployment of how going back to someone's apartment for drinks is 'code' for wanting to have sex, that this incident is just a 'misunderstanding' that resulted from 'mixed' or 'misread signals,' etc.

Does Takei deserve to be treated as a monster? No, of course not. But the movement is not about alienating individual 'human monsters.' It's about ideology. Why on earth should we accept, 'Disrobing a drunk person without their consent' as normal? It's clear we already do, and apparently lots of people still fail to see how placing the bar of social normality that low only emboldens precisely the kinds of 'monstrous' poo poo that they superficially oppose.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

davidspackage posted:

The concept of the casting couch is as old as the entertainment industry.

Because it was looked at exclusively as a two way thing. Less "gently caress me and or I'll ruin you" and more "Hey there producer hotshot, I'd do anything for that part.." in perception.

And despite recent attitudes, there were times it probably was. A lot more times it wasn't, and thus here we are.

K. Waste posted:

It's about ideology. Why on earth should we accept, 'Disrobing a drunk person without their consent' as normal? It's clear we already do

That is not clear at all.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 26, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Blazing Ownager posted:

That is not clear at all.

Could've fooled me.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

‘Bachelorette’ alum claims she was sexually assaulted during filming
https://pagesix.com/2018/05/24/bachelorette-alum-claims-she-was-sexually-assaulted-during-filming/

James Caan We're in a Strange Place Men Can't Hit on Women Anymore
http://www.tmz.com/2018/05/25/james-caan-morgan-freeman-sexual-misconduct-men-women/

Gwyneth Paltrow Says Brad Pitt Threatened To Kill Harvey Weinstein
https://www.yahoo.com/news/gwyneth-paltrow-says-brad-pitt-144217489.html

3 Mario Batali restaurants on Las Vegas Strip to close amid sexual assault allegations
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/3-mario-batali-restaurants-las-vegas-strip-close-172403552--abc-news-topstories.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Brad Pitt is awesome.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Rhyno posted:

Brad Pitt is awesome.

Let’s not get crazy here. He did an awesome thing but he’s still a bit eh.

His 8-frame cameo in Deadpool 2 was fantastic though

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah he hosed over Jen and Angelina but has he sex pested?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

The Simpsons and Futurama still seem safe from shittiness?
Yeah... you're going to want to sit down...

The short story is that the first aired episode of The Simpsons, "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire" was written by a women named Mimi Pond who was never invited to actually join the writers' room. She admits that she was very green as a screenwriter, but the darker reason for not hiring her was that Sam Simon--one of the major creative forces of the show--intentionally locked women out of the writers' room because had a rough divorce and didn't want to be women. So, yes, no actual sexual misconduct, but The Simpsons writers' room was a lovely exclusive boys club for years and is still incredibly lacking in diversity.

If you're wanting to write Sam Simon off, please remember that Simon more or less was the man to define The Simpsons. Matt conceived the show and Brooks shepherded it, but everything you love and know about The Simpsons was really rooted in Simon's leadership.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's amazing that, every time I've encountered a James Caan story recently I've thought 'wow, he really went off the deep end since last time'

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My mother used to be close friends with Scott Caan. She lived like a queen until Scott turned 18.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah... you're going to want to sit down...

The short story is that the first aired episode of The Simpsons, "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire" was written by a women named Mimi Pond who was never invited to actually join the writers' room. She admits that she was very green as a screenwriter, but the darker reason for not hiring her was that Sam Simon--one of the major creative forces of the show--intentionally locked women out of the writers' room because had a rough divorce and didn't want to be women. So, yes, no actual sexual misconduct, but The Simpsons writers' room was a lovely exclusive boys club for years and is still incredibly lacking in diversity.

If you're wanting to write Sam Simon off, please remember that Simon more or less was the man to define The Simpsons. Matt conceived the show and Brooks shepherded it, but everything you love and know about The Simpsons was really rooted in Simon's leadership.

Comedians and writers tend to run a boys club and it's been going on so long that the boys don't even bother to explain themselves when confronted directly on television about it, or pretend that it's all egalitarian until someone confronts them with data.

https://www.glamour.com/story/tina-fey-expertly-called-out-david-letterman-on-his-lack-of-female-writers

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Basebf555 posted:

Yea the whole false accusations thing is especially stupid regarding celebrities and people with power, because as much as there may be an added financial motive, there's ten times more motivation to keep quiet. There's no statement more indicative of male privilege than "If it was so bad why didn't she come forward earlier?" because it exposes the ignorance that most men have about exactly what these women go through when they go public. Especially in the age of the internet, coming forward against a powerful man is like voluntarily giving up any chance at a normal life for the next several years, and that's best case scenario.

Didn't people just rattle off a serious of false accusations against celebrities right before you made this post? Ironic.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's to apologise for, Fidel owned.

You really should move there. You can take the place I left there 20 years ago.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

dont even fink about it posted:

Comedians and writers tend to run a boys club and it's been going on so long that the boys don't even bother to explain themselves when confronted directly on television about it, or pretend that it's all egalitarian until someone confronts them with data.

https://www.glamour.com/story/tina-fey-expertly-called-out-david-letterman-on-his-lack-of-female-writers

Jon Stewart talked about this a bit in his post CK interviews. A big part of it, for the Daily Show but I can see this keep repeating, was using a headhunter service to find writers. Jon just gave the service the direction of “find me funny people.” They want to make their commission for the minimum of work so they contact people that are going to remind the head writer of them self. It was pretty interesting how incestuous it is without people actually trying to be exclusive, it’s just them being lazy and taking the path of least resistance.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Judakel posted:

You really should move there. You can take the place I left there 20 years ago.

Ahahahha.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tailored Sauce posted:

Explain please?

idiocracy is about how dumb poors outbreeding smart people is gonna gently caress up the country when in reality it's the well off suburbanites that elected the dumbest person in the world to the presidency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

You're really astonishingly dumb. I am impressed.