Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/dmofengineering/status/999732156631924736?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

spankmeister posted:

The trick is not to ask for downtime. The trick is to just tell them it's going to be down for X amount of time.

The real trick is to force them to acknowledge that they are refusing a security or bug update via email, including all the stakeholders. All of sudden, change windows magically open up.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

spankmeister posted:

The trick is not to ask for downtime. The trick is to just tell them it's going to be down for X amount of time.

"System crash"

"I don't know what happened. Sometimes Windows just does that when it's been running too long"

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

"System crash"

"I don't know what happened. Sometimes Windows just does that when it's been running too long"

This is the active node in a DB cluster no less!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

xsf421 posted:

Phsh. Stability is for suckers. Just let that poo poo run 'til it explodes.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

xsf421 posted:

If it's clustered with proper HA why would you experience downtime in a proper maintenance procedure?

If no downtime is acceptable, the system should tolerate a node reboot. If fault tolerance isn't part of the design, downtime must be acceptable.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Is anybody experiencing issues where Windows machines suddenly aren't pulling IP addresses via DHCP? It's happened to 3-4 computers over the last week and I'm not sure if it's an update that donked up the user's computers or our DHCP servers or what.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Inspector_666 posted:

Is anybody experiencing issues where Windows machines suddenly aren't pulling IP addresses via DHCP? It's happened to 3-4 computers over the last week and I'm not sure if it's an update that donked up the user's computers or our DHCP servers or what.

Are the machines actively requesting an address, or just pretending DHCP isn't even enabled?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Are the machines actively requesting an address, or just pretending DHCP isn't even enabled?

We haven't gotten any packet capturing done yet (it only just became a "pattern" enough for me to really look into it) but they're hanging at "Identifying..." so Windows at least seems to be trying to request an address.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ChubbyThePhat posted:

That would be the first place I’d look.

Are the machines sending out a DHCP request? Is anything responding? Keep following that request through the network until you find where it dies.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

We've had about 10 different machines here have that issue.

code:
netsh int ip reset c:\winreset.txt
netsh winsock reset
seem to fix the problem consistently.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Y'all, I had to disable avatars so I can continue posting at work and not worry about somebody seeing the disgusting poo poo you put on my screen. I am SHOCKED at how many of you I can remember by name alone. It's nearly everybody in these threads.

Maybe posting in sc/sh for 4 years is too much.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Only 4 years? Scrub.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I had to turn av’s off a month ago or so because I wasn’t comfortable browsing the forums at work with them on anymore.

Still not used to names.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I'm not entirely sure how many of you I would recognize by name alone. Avatars are just.... who you are.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

GreenNight posted:

Only 4 years? Scrub.

to be fair that 4 years is approx. 90% of my entire IT career.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Bigass Moth posted:

The problem is so many younger people use Apple products where troubleshooting quickly devolves into taking it to the Apple Store.

https://youtu.be/v6bigWDsOsI

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

to be fair that 4 years is approx. 90% of my entire IT career.
I was talking with a dude at my school IT department and he said his first OS was XP and I nearly cried at how old I really am to be going back to school. He worked with a core 2 duo machine one time, but it was just an old throwaway box. My first was a Pentium 66mhz. FML.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Instead of disabling avatars, I use Decreased Productivity. It ghosts all images/videos so you can mouseover to see them, but leaves them as greyed-out versions by default. You can still see the outline of an avatar, but it's pretty much invisible to someone behind you or walking by.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

486 SX 33/66 Turbo, didn't even have an FPU.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

I started with the classic Apple ][e. The monitor even had colors! Mostly used for Oregon Trail and Number/Word Munchers, to be honest. And to print out cool banners on the dot-matrix printer.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TRS-80 in middle school, and then moved up to the Tandy 1000 in high school. They were old then; I mean we also had one each of 286 and 386, and then my junior year we got some 486s.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
We had apple ]['s at school, but our first home computer was a hand-me-down Tandy from my uncle. The monitor had a whopping four colors and the whole setup was older than I was.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I started out with a Kaypro PC (8088, woo!) at home and Apple ]['s at school. The first computer I bought for myself was a Dell with a Pentium 3. I actually used the 21" Trinitron I got with it as my primary monitor for nearly a decade. The only reason I stopped was that it, being a Trinitron, weighed as much as a neutron star and was a pain in the rear end to move.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
TRS 80 Model 3, then Atari 8/16 bit till the early 90s.

Nostalgia for the good old days dies fast when you remember what 300 baud modems were like.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Apex Rogers posted:

I started with the classic Apple ][e. The monitor even had colors! Mostly used for Oregon Trail and Number/Word Munchers, to be honest. And to print out cool banners on the dot-matrix printer.

Classic Apple ][+.

Magnus Praeda posted:

I started out with a Kaypro PC (8088, woo!) at home and Apple ]['s at school. The first computer I bought for myself was a Dell with a Pentium 3. I actually used the 21" Trinitron I got with it as my primary monitor for nearly a decade. The only reason I stopped was that it, being a Trinitron, weighed as much as a neutron star and was a pain in the rear end to move.

I didn't get to use a Kaypro until high school.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

the first computer that was ever *MY* computer was a TI 99/4A. the first computer I ever played with was at my grandfathers house, and I dunno what it was just that it had paddles for games and you had to load programs from a tape deck.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Apex Rogers posted:

Instead of disabling avatars, I use Decreased Productivity. It ghosts all images/videos so you can mouseover to see them, but leaves them as greyed-out versions by default. You can still see the outline of an avatar, but it's pretty much invisible to someone behind you or walking by.

this is pretty cool and seeing avs is trippy after like 6 months without them but man it does not play nice with salr

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Texas Instruments with an external Maxell tape recorder for a “hard drive”.

code:
OLD CS1
4lyfe

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

The Iron Rose posted:

this is pretty cool and seeing avs is trippy after like 6 months without them but man it does not play nice with salr

oh my god the forums are more beautiful than ever

this is truly the way to live

e; best thing about this extension is now I can see avs on my phone again. I wish there was a separate option for mobile avs.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

nexxai posted:

We've had about 10 different machines here have that issue.

code:
netsh int ip reset c:\winreset.txt
netsh winsock reset
seem to fix the problem consistently.

Ok we tried this to no avail, but we also then isolated the issue to the switch (in this office, at least. There are a couple of people who had the issue in AZ and I can't test wires there.)

We shut/no shut the port, no all of the settings, nothing. Finally we go back and test the patch cable, three wires are crossed over. This cable is over a year old, we made it ourselves, and tested at the time of "manufacture." It's also worked fine for a month.

How in the gently caress. I'm going to call Mulder and Scully.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Inspector_666 posted:

Ok we tried this to no avail, but we also then isolated the issue to the switch (in this office, at least. There are a couple of people who had the issue in AZ and I can't test wires there.)

We shut/no shut the port, no all of the settings, nothing. Finally we go back and test the patch cable, three wires are crossed over. This cable is over a year old, we made it ourselves, and tested at the time of "manufacture." It's also worked fine for a month.

One thing I learned years ago is when you hit a dead end with troubleshooting an issue, start at the bottom of the osi model and work up. I can't count the number of times weird issues have been a loose or bad cable or a locked up switch.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

blackswordca posted:

One thing I learned years ago is when you hit a dead end with troubleshooting an issue, start at the bottom of the osi model and work up. I can't count the number of times weird issues have been a loose or bad cable or a locked up switch.

Yeah, we probably should have checked the cable earlier but it's been in use for weeks without issue. Also if it was just broken I would understand but I don't get how three wires in a cable suddenly rearrange themselves.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Inspector_666 posted:

Did it spontaneously convert into a crossover cable? Or were the wires that crossed over different from that?

If your switch's eth port supports mdi-x, maybe it went haywire
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-dependent_interface

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Apex Rogers posted:

Did it spontaneously convert into a crossover cable? Or were the wires that crossed over different from that?

If your switch's eth port supports mdi-x, maybe it went haywire
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-dependent_interface

Nope, it was just the 1 2 3 wires that were out of order, no involvement on 6.

Also when we made these we tested every one to make sure it was properly punched.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

the first computer that was ever *MY* computer was a TI 99/4A. the first computer I ever played with was at my grandfathers house, and I dunno what it was just that it had paddles for games and you had to load programs from a tape deck.

Agrikk posted:

Texas Instruments with an external Maxell tape recorder for a “hard drive”.

code:
OLD CS1
4lyfe

Had the expanded basic cartridge for that bad boy. Users manual with scribbles in the margins of TI basic code. Good times.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Nope, it was just the 1 2 3 wires that were out of order, no involvement on 6.

Also when we made these we tested every one to make sure it was properly punched.

Wires being in the wrong order can result in the weirdest network issues.

The time that I misordered my pairs on a Cat5 cable that I terminated for a home network run, I found that I could connect on chat programs (including AOL instant messenger and IRC) but not get to websites...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

chin up everything sucks posted:

Wires being in the wrong order can result in the weirdest network issues.

The time that I misordered my pairs on a Cat5 cable that I terminated for a home network run, I found that I could connect on chat programs (including AOL instant messenger and IRC) but not get to websites...

:stare:

But that...

Why would that matter? HOW would that matter?