Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Ashford is definitely up to no good. He is Dawes' man, and Dawes cannot be trusted. Drummer told Dawes, when she rejected his advances, that she didn't trust, or like, him. I can't see him wanting her in charge of the Belt's only warship, he wants it for himself.

What Ashford was doing, was using Naomi's reputation for being an associate of 'the saviour,' and Drummer's inexperience of command to undermine her authority. She was going to space the supplier, he appealed to Naomi's morality to prevent it. Then immediately afterwards, when Drummer was off balance, interrupted her and issued his instructions using her authority. It also has the effect of recruiting/pressing the black market into his service, because he saved them from spacing and having their markets shut down.

Drummer should have sent him to clean the drive coils with a wet rag, showing him who was the boss, then beat the tar out of the dealer and supplier. Unfortunately she froze and became passive.

He really doesn't care one hoot for the rule of law, but he does know that Drummer is hot headed and will take the law into her own hands. So using rule of law as a wedge between Drummer and her closest ally is his tactic to isolate and undermine Drummer's authority. I fully expect him to try and oust her, no doubt he will use the same supplier in some nefarious scheme, perhaps to (attempt to?) assassinate her, then space him, without a trial. For the sake of irony and the look on Naomi's face.

Hopefully Drummer gets wise and spaces Ashford when he makes his move. :commissar:

:69snypa:

Collateral fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bou
Aug 3, 2006

I want Drummer to have a friendly chat with The 100's Octavia/Skyrippa/Bloodreina :black101: :allears:

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Collateral posted:

Ashford is definitely up to no good. He is Dawes' man, and Dawes cannot be trusted. Drummer told Dawes, when she rejected his advances, that she didn't trust, or like, him. I can't see him wanting her in charge of the Belt's only warship, he wants it for himself.

What Ashford was doing, was using Naomi's reputation for being an associate of 'the saviour,' and Drummer's inexperience of command to undermine her authority. She was going to space the supplier, he appealed to Naomi's morality to prevent it. Then immediately afterwards, when Drummer was off balance, interrupted her and issued his instructions using her authority. It also has the effect of recruiting/pressing the black market into his service, because he saved them from spacing and having their markets shut down.

Drummer should have sent him to clean the drive coils with a wet rag, showing him who was the boss, then beat the tar out of the dealer and supplier. Unfortunately she froze and became passive.

He really doesn't care one hoot for the rule of law, but he does know that Drummer is hot headed and will take the law into her own hands. So using rule of law as a wedge between Drummer and her closest ally is his tactic to isolate and undermine Drummer's authority. I fully expect him to try and oust her, no doubt he will use the same supplier in some nefarious scheme, perhaps to (attempt to?) assassinate her, then space him, without a trial. For the sake of irony and the look on Naomi's face.

Hopefully Drummer gets wise and spaces Ashford when he makes his move. :commissar:

:69snypa:
This is a really good break down of that scene.

Edit: I tried elaborating on this but I think you covered it really, really well.

TimWinter fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 25, 2018

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
If this does get picked up by Amazon I hope it gets a massive injection of exposure somehow like Black Mirror did with netflix, it's better than GoT at this point and Westworld has been getting shakey.

TimWinter posted:

Edit: I tried elaborating on this but I think you covered it really, really well.

For me book readers posting big effort posts of 'speculation' will never not be serious cringe.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From what I get in the show Dawes will gladly appeal to peace, disarmament, dialogue, laws, order, and a sense of civilization just as much as he will steal weapon secrets, use war, chaos, anarchy and violence to achieve his means. Often while using the first set to justify the later, or even preach against it if it suits his speech.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TimWinter posted:

The actor for Ashford is really great for how he sells the character especially the scene in which he manages to undermine Drummer in front the crew.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Violence now more than ever is something we must avoid, my friends. For even the welwala dreams of peace, for the welwala is a dreamer. When he looks at a duster or an earther he doesn't see an enemy, he sees the inner as a model for us, the belters. A way to improve his people. He sees the inner as something we must become, something better, so even the welwala, in his own way, is thinking of the good of the belt.

But. A dream... is a child's luxury. And in giving in to that dream the welwala ceases to be our beratna. Now. We must always treat others with dignity and respect, even those who are not our brothers and sisters. *Raising voice* But we must not let those childish affairs make us lose sight that the inners will hunt us and kill us. We must not let our compassion cloud the sight that to the inners we are either slaves or enemies. And if the welwala sees us not as enemies, brothers, then he sees us as slaves. And that, we must not allow, for as long as someone sees you a slave, then you can never truly be free.

It is a terrible fate, my friends, but one these people inflicted upon themselves. We do this not out of hate, but out of love.

*Dawes' vassals kill a bunch of random people

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Dawes did literally nothing wrong

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im worried we wont see much of Avassarala and Bobbie and Prax anymore :(

Any news on the show's situation? Did amazon saved it or not?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im worried we wont see much of Avassarala and Bobbie and Prax anymore :(

Any news on the show's situation? Did amazon saved it or not?

Bezos is still staying away from the agua.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine thinking Dawes is a bad guy

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The timeskip annoys me a bit. There was some good character stuff towards the end of the second book that I was hoping to see.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

The eyeroll then spiral in on Holden is fantastic.

That whole subplot was hilarious especially the whole motivation by tits leading to that incredibility gruesome death.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

People doing dumb poo poo for understandable, yet stupid and short-sighted reasons is how the entire Expanse plot works.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm glad that in this future banana hammocks are still around.

Poor Mateo

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It was a far better "dude dies in a tin can" subplot than the clunky Epstein flashback from season 2(or 1?).

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
so I haven't seen the last season (been catching it on Netflix in Europe) but did it get picked up by Amazon or not? I can't really go through the thread to look, due to spoilers etc

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Signs are promising but it has not been picked up yet.

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.
Where the gently caress do I find the full version of Highway Star in Belta, I need that poo poo.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Fister Roboto posted:

PS mods please change the thread title to URINE - DO NOT DRINK

Officially requested.

Also the Amazon thing will come through, it just takes a while. A lot of ins, lot of outs, a lot of interested parties, etc.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

xthnru posted:

Where the gently caress do I find the full version of Highway Star in Belta, I need that poo poo.

We still haven't gotten the Lang Belta version of the Black Keys song from the first episode so who knows.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I'm not holding my breath for amazon to do the right thing, they poo poo on two good pilots/shows i wanted to see continue in the last year: Britannia and Oasis.

The current glut of marvel superhero bullshit makes me sad for the future of sci fi on TV.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hexel posted:

I'm not holding my breath for amazon to do the right thing, they poo poo on two good pilots/shows i wanted to see continue in the last year: Britannia and Oasis.

The current glut of marvel superhero bullshit makes me sad for the future of sci fi on TV.

Britannia got renewed.

I'm sad about their comedies (Sea Oak, Mozart In The Jungle, One Mississippi). Oasis looked pretty rad too.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Highway Star was a perfect choice for this, although I probably would have preferred the original.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DaveKap posted:

I don't read the books and so I'm curious about this and whether or not it's much of a spoiler to tell us who should've said what line exactly...

It's Miller. When he first reappears in the books it's the very end of Book Two and the last line of the book. Hey. We need to talk.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Drowning In Terror posted:

For me book readers posting big effort posts of 'speculation' will never not be serious cringe.
The TV and books have diverged almost completely in respect to Behemoth (so far).

Ashford is the commander already, Drummer is still serving as Fred's security officer on Tycho Station and Naomi is still on the Roci. That scene is 100% new IIRC.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
For the forty billionth time do not talk about the books in this thread

Jesus gently caress

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TimWinter posted:

Jesus gently caress

there are 9 books and like 5 novellas

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The books have many words in them, originally written in English then translated into multiple languages. Words such as "space", "Belt" and "asteroid".

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The first book in the series, and now that I think of it, probably all of them, were published

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

bloom posted:

The books have many words in them, originally written in English then translated into multiple languages. Words such as "space", "Belt" and "asteroid".

There's a book thread

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

TimWinter posted:

Jesus gently caress
gently caress whoever you want, you're not the boss of me.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

dawes is ruthless and more than a little ambitious but i think he's an actual patriot, plus he's kinda right that however well-intentioned johnson is he's still not really a belter. idk what the OPA's actual political position is now- are they recognized in any capacity by the inners?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The thing is there is no one united "OPA", there's like 40 different groups all claiming to be the real OPA and getting into sectarian bullshit with all the others. The two most visible factions to the Inners are probably the Fred Johnson/Tycho faction who are somewhat more respectable, and then the more radical Dawes faction, but they're far from the only two big names and neither is really in control of anything more than their specific cadre.

So if you ask what the OPA's positions are, you'll get a zillion different answers depending on who specifically you ask. The movement's got everything from milquetoast liberals who think a picket line will fix everything to real hardcore Belter Nationalists who'd be all for genociding the Inners to anarchists to terror cells and everything in between.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 25, 2018

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Anderson Dawes did nothing wrong.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

ATP_Power posted:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ATP_Power posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM_88FfHcIo

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

God, "you're a grimy little pimp" has to be the truest thing anyone ever said to Pete Campbell.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Crazycryodude posted:

The thing is there is no one united "OPA", there's like 40 different groups all claiming to be the real OPA and getting into sectarian bullshit with all the others. The two most visible factions to the Inners are probably the Fred Johnson/Tycho faction who are somewhat more respectable, and then the more radical Dawes faction, but they're far from the only two big names and neither is really in control of anything more than their specific cadre.

So if you ask what the OPA's positions are, you'll get a zillion different answers depending on who specifically you ask. The movement's got everything from milquetoast liberals who think a picket line will fix everything to real hardcore Belter Nationalists who'd be all for genociding the Inners to anarchists to terror cells and everything in between.

I mean their position as how does Earth recognize them- they clearly have to deal with Johnson at some level but idk if after stopping the hybrids he's managed to secure any political recongition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

tooterfish posted:

gently caress whoever you want, you're not the boss of me.

ahhh beltaloda!