Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fun background things I noticed this episode: The giant portrait of Duchess Mallory had, and the stuffed ocelot above the bar (RIP Babou, he ain't crepuscular no more...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
This episode was ok, but it was no Weir of Hermiston.

Seriously, that was great. This season has been getting waaay better the last couple of episodes. Now I am actually excited to see where they go with it. Archer and Pam's relationship is definitely the highlight.

Also, now I kinda want to read the Weir of Hermiston. It sounds pretty cool.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

tarlibone posted:

I love how Archer points out that Cracker's dislike of other bird species is racism.

You know I’m right.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Ducks are nasty buggers, it's true.

I've always thought, well. since before Archer Vice that Pam and Archer would be soo good together. Better than Archer and Lana, so that marraige thing in the quick sand was a total loving tease.

Pam agreeing her tits were pretty collosal between sobs and tears was also funny.

Also, with that Cassius and Clay show getting cancelled before it starts I'm thinking that maybe the next season is going to be a post apocalyptic dream.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

QwertySanchez posted:

Ducks are nasty buggers, it's true.

I've always thought, well. since before Archer Vice that Pam and Archer would be soo good together. Better than Archer and Lana, so that marraige thing in the quick sand was a total loving tease.

Pam agreeing her tits were pretty collosal between sobs and tears was also funny.

Also, with that Cassius and Clay show getting cancelled before it starts I'm thinking that maybe the next season is going to be a post apocalyptic dream.

They are good together. As friends. Either way, I agree they deserve to have more scenes together.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

QwertySanchez posted:

Wait what?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The Archer staff were working on a post apoc show that never made it past the pilot stage.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I thought this was very definitely confirmed to be the last season?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
The anthropologist in the trailer for the next episode sure looks, talks, and acts like the executive assistant for that group of pirates from several seasons ago.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I thought this was very definitely confirmed to be the last season?
No, there is one more after this

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

tarlibone posted:

The anthropologist in the trailer for the next episode sure looks, talks, and acts like the executive assistant for that group of pirates from several seasons ago.

Yes, that was definitely Noah. I was about ready to give up on this season, but I don't think I can resist a call-back to Heart of Archness.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

OneTruePecos posted:

Yes, that was definitely Noah. I was about ready to give up on this season, but I don't think I can resist a call-back to Heart of Archness.

MELAWAN RAJA!

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Im HUGGING YOU with my talons!

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Davros1 posted:

IT IS NOT A GOLD MONKEY.

(That gag must have been written just for me)
I'm skipping probably 3 pages of replies but the first thing I thought when I saw the first episode was "Tales of the Gold Monkey" and I wanted to hear Jack bark once for yes, and two for no. I actually have really poor DVD rips of the originals which I started to make one of my friends watch but they couldn't deal with it/couldn't see the awesomeness :black101:.

I haven't watched another episode. I liked "Vice" and then I lost interest.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

DoggPickle posted:

I'm skipping probably 3 pages of replies but the first thing I thought when I saw the first episode was "Tales of the Gold Monkey" and I wanted to hear Jack bark once for yes, and two for no. I actually have really poor DVD rips of the originals which I started to make one of my friends watch but they couldn't deal with it/couldn't see the awesomeness :black101:.

There's only 4 pages in this thread total so. Also, I appreciate your post/AV combo.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

counterfeitsaint posted:

There's only 4 pages in this thread total so. Also, I appreciate your post/AV combo.

Yeah, that was top of lazy, but I haven't been on SA in awhile and the first page was entirely "I DON'T LIKE THIS" and there was no mention of Tales of the Gold Monkey and also I had to pee.

I mean there is the frenchman, Lucky(bon Chance) Louis, the parrot, the guy in the wheelchair (goochie), the sexy visiting american star, the german priest (edited to add, wow he was "blessing" the local girls very vigorously!!), the pontoon plane, the bar looks the same, etc.

DoggPickle fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 26, 2018

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

DoggPickle posted:

I remember watching that show when it was new.

At that time, there was this brief fascination with the early days of aviation. Movies with lone pilots-for-hire getting into all kinds of derring-do.... High Road to China comes to mind....

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

tarlibone posted:

I remember watching that show when it was new.

At that time, there was this brief fascination with the early days of aviation. Movies with lone pilots-for-hire getting into all kinds of derring-do.... High Road to China comes to mind....

It's actually STILL watchable. There are only about 20 episodes. I confess, and I don't know how to make it sound less piratey because the actual downloads don't exist on any current streaming media, but I recently looked for the episodes of "Tales of the Gold Monkey" again, and what is possibly available is a lot better quality than what previously.. ahem

The episodes are bizarrely adult. There is a prison-island episode where people are tortured There's a slave episode on a boat. It's weird.
There are cannibals. The German "priest" is clearly loving the island girls and it's played for laughs.The main sidekick is a hardcore alcoholic, to the point he gets shaky and stuff, but its FUNNY! There are nazi's, Malaria, some pretty cringe Japanese episodes (the Japanese Princess is very white, but weirdly some of her dudes are real Japanese) It's a weird pre-set thing where they are doing the 1930's but in 1980. So it's relatively racist but its SO MUCH FUN!!

I want a pontoon plane where I can island hop. What a life!!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

After a weak start IMO I'm digging how the season is picking up, the whole "reverse ace" bit was brilliant and I like how Cheryl is flipping control over Mallory.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I re-watched the episodes the other day, and I've noticed something: the walls of reality are starting to noticeably break down, albeit in subtle ways.

In the first episode, in Archer's bedroom, Charlotte has a brief flashback in which she says she wants to tongue his empty eye socket. When they cut back to the bedroom, she asks what she's done, and he directly responds to that one bit of dialog from the flashback: "Hopefully, not that." I know this one is a stretch, especially seeing as how this wasn't the first flashback they've ever done. But, watch that scene--what Archer says only makes sense if he just watched the flashback, or if Charlotte only said that one thing.

There's the 4th wall break about how this is not Tales of the Gold Monkey. Again... maybe a stretch.

But then, there's Crackers, whose speech abilities, hand-waiving notwithstanding, are not realistic given the relatively grounded in reality nature of the rest of the show's setting. Even Pam thinks it's magic.

Also, Pam says something about a "catch-22," and Archer correctly tells her "I don't think that's a thing yet." This could be just a joke for the audience, though. The season is set in the 1930s, and Catch-22 didn't exist until 1961. What would make sense is Archer asking what she meant by "catch-22." What doesn't is Archer saying that that's not a thing yet.

Maybe I'm imagining this. Maybe I'm thinking about it way too hard, which is hard to imagine considering this is a cartoon--how could you possibly over-analyze something so important? But, I hope these are little bits of foreshadowing. As he starts to emerge from the coma, reality starts seeping into his dream worlds, creating some extreme weirdness.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Next season: Oz

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Milo and POTUS posted:

Next season: Oz

Special guest appearance by JK Simmons, or wizard of?

Or both

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

tarlibone posted:

Also, Pam says something about a "catch-22," and Archer correctly tells her "I don't think that's a thing yet." This could be just a joke for the audience, though. The season is set in the 1930s, and Catch-22 didn't exist until 1961. What would make sense is Archer asking what she meant by "catch-22." What doesn't is Archer saying that that's not a thing yet.

That makes as much sense as Archer making a joke out of wondering when exactly the show takes place several seasons back, because the technology is all over the place.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

tsob posted:

That makes as much sense as Archer making a joke out of wondering when exactly the show takes place several seasons back, because the technology is all over the place.

When did this happen?

The closest thing I can recall was in the episode where they're doing the paternity test. Barry says that they need one liter of blood for the DNA test, and Mallory asks what year it is. But she's not asking because she's confused about the setting of the episode--she's asking because using a DNA swab is standard procedure; taking blood (especially a large amount of it) just isn't necessary anymore.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

tarlibone posted:

When did this happen?

The closest thing I can recall was in the episode where they're doing the paternity test. Barry says that they need one liter of blood for the DNA test, and Mallory asks what year it is. But she's not asking because she's confused about the setting of the episode--she's asking because using a DNA swab is standard procedure; taking blood (especially a large amount of it) just isn't necessary anymore.

The episode with the Italian prime minister. Archer says something like “don’t they have a king” and Mallory says “what year do you think it is” and archer kind of laughs and says “yea good question” or something to that extent

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Crackers is going to turn out to be the treasure everyone's searching for, isn't he?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What? I doubt it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
It's gonna be friendship.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They’re gonna find it at the end of the season and spend the entirety of seasons 10 trying to sell it unsuccessfully, but swapping it for various increasingly illegal contraband until they end up with a literal, not figurative, ton of cocaine.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Its going to end up with Archer waking from the coma but 20 years have elapsed Dead Zone style.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They’re gonna find it at the end of the season and spend the entirety of seasons 10 trying to sell it unsuccessfully, but swapping it for various increasingly illegal contraband until they end up with a literal, not figurative, ton of cocaine.

Metric or imperial?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Trabant posted:

It's gonna be friendship.

/me looks directly at the Internet and says, "It's NOT going to be that. Got it?"

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I suspect that the series as a whole, has gone American Horror Story and each season will be a fresh new take on the man-o-action story. If/when the show is canceled the final episode will be Archer just dying in a hospital room with Mallory crying over his corpse, and Cheryl discovering her new interest in corpse-loving.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I want Mad Max Archer tbh.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

graham cracker posted:

I want Mad Max Archer tbh.

Would Pam be the Ayatollah of Rock-n-Rolla?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Azhais posted:

Would Pam be the Ayatollah of Rock-n-Rolla?

Barry

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I guess Krieger would be The Gyro Captain and Cheryl would be the Feral Kid?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

tarlibone posted:

/me looks directly at the Internet and says, "It's NOT going to be that. Got it?"

This feels familiar. Was it from an episode?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

This feels familiar. Was it from an episode?

Yeah, a few episodes back. When Archer tries to guess what the idol or whatever is, he settles on gold and possibly a monkey. But as soon as he says monkey, Pam immediately and explicitly tells him that it's not a monkey--and then looks into the camera and repeats herself.

You know, to make sure we all know that this isn't Tales of the Golden Monkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I meant friendship