Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

landgrabber posted:

in a very odd and specific mood where i've been awake for 33 hours and am anxious thinking about whatever summer's cauldron of fresh hell apple is rapidly stirring for june 2

I'm picturing a number of apple employees in those garish t-shirts cackling around a cauldron, stirring a mac mini, a usb-c port, and a touchbar together to form a mac mini with Just One Port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

jokes posted:

I'm picturing a number of apple employees in those garish t-shirts cackling around a cauldron, stirring a mac mini, a usb-c port, and a touchbar together to form a mac mini with Just One Port.

And for $169 you can buy a breakout box that gives you three Thunderbolt 3 ports, FaceID notch, and an HDMI port, but no regular USB ports, headphone jack, or SD card reader. It’ll be introduced in a 2-minute Jony Ive design film where he waxes lyrical about the most beautiful dongle in the world.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

New MacBook Pros with redesigned keyboard!

It's a membrane, Atari 400 style

Also the entire top surface is now a trackpad

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm legitimately rooting for an A11X or A12 Macbook, duking it out with the premium Chromebooks in the $600-900 space.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm legitimately rooting for an A11X or A12 Macbook

Is there a site I can bet on your disappointment?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm legitimately rooting for an A11X or A12 Macbook, duking it out with the premium Chromebooks in the $600-900 space.

Hahaha a $600 MacBook

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hahaha a $600 MacBook

Running iOS :getin:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So.. an ipad with a keyboard?

:thunk:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

So.. an ipad with a keyboard?

:thunk:

Yeah, he’s describing an iPad Pro with a Smart Keyboard.

Which, to be fair, has mostly replaced my work rMBP. The only thing I still really use my 15” rMBP for is Python w/PyCharm, and even then if it’s just a quick edit I use the iOS version Textastic. The one thing that would make it complete would be an iOS version of PyCharm (since PyCharm can now work with remote interpreters), but that will likely never happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've long wanted to try to use ios to do a day of work, but the lack of an ssh client with kerberos authentication has put the kibosh on that.

I'd probably hate it anyways, I like tabs and windows and stuff.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

"Give me the tools to remote into more powerful computers" doesn't make iOS a viable platform for real work guys

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

We went over this with dumb terminals in the late 20th century, don't repeat the mistake.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My entire job is done over ssh, sorry some of us have to maintain computers that don't fit on top of a desk. :shrug:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

What a stupid comment.

I already said the Python stuff still needs the rMBP (I can’t even imagine trying to use the IDE over a VNC or RDP link).

But what part of Office, annotating project files, SfB/Slack, and email require remoting into another computer?

Also, you don’t use RDP or SSH from your laptop or desktop? Do you go into the data center whenever you need to access any systems?

This may be the part where you learn *your* workflow is not other people’s workflow.

Idiot.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yes I remote into powerful PCs in some place far away as well

For the record my PC fits UNDER my desk.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Gonna cross-post this into the networking/NAS megathread, but wanted to ask here too.

I work at an ad agency with full production capabilities. Our video team (of which I'm a part of) has a nice central storage with about 100 TBs. All 8 of our production machines just tap into it via 10GbE and we work off the drive. It's great and wonderful.

We also have an 8 person interactive team on iMacs. Right now they're connected to an older NAS that isn't quite cutting it. They all tap into the general gigabit switch and the NAS is connected to that. But when they work with large files it really chokes.

I know Macs don't have 10GbE connections (although I think there's a Thunderbolt -> 10GbE adapter?) but we'd like a similar setup. Rewiring all of their ethernet drops and then getting another 10GbE switch and other equipment to replicate our video setup is probably going to be expensive. We'd be fine with a locally placed Thunderbolt NAS (as opposed to rack mounted NAS' in our machine room like it is now). However I can't wrap my head around how you connect a lot of machines to a NAS via thunderbolt. There doesn't seem to be a Thunderbolt "switch" ... or am I just thinking about this all wrong?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BonoMan posted:

Gonna cross-post this into the networking/NAS megathread, but wanted to ask here too.

I work at an ad agency with full production capabilities. Our video team (of which I'm a part of) has a nice central storage with about 100 TBs. All 8 of our production machines just tap into it via 10GbE and we work off the drive. It's great and wonderful.

We also have an 8 person interactive team on iMacs. Right now they're connected to an older NAS that isn't quite cutting it. They all tap into the general gigabit switch and the NAS is connected to that. But when they work with large files it really chokes.

I know Macs don't have 10GbE connections (although I think there's a Thunderbolt -> 10GbE adapter?) but we'd like a similar setup. Rewiring all of their ethernet drops and then getting another 10GbE switch and other equipment to replicate our video setup is probably going to be expensive. We'd be fine with a locally placed Thunderbolt NAS (as opposed to rack mounted NAS' in our machine room like it is now). However I can't wrap my head around how you connect a lot of machines to a NAS via thunderbolt. There doesn't seem to be a Thunderbolt "switch" ... or am I just thinking about this all wrong?

You’ll need to figure it out via networking angle. Thunderbolt connection won’t work the way you want it to.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, he’s describing an iPad Pro with a Smart Keyboard.

Smart keyboard sucks and it doesn't need to have the fancy-rear end 120hz touchscreen of the iPad pro to shave cost. I have never found the "tablet + keyboard" to be anywhere near as solid as a plain old laptop, especially if you're trying to use it on anything other than a flat table.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You need a Storinator and a 10GigE TB3 adapter. No, it's not going to be cheap, but considering your workload, did you think it was going to be? You need a high performance NAS and you need the interface to connect to it. There's no real way around it. Anything else would be a hack.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

iMacPro now has 10GigE.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

iMacPro now has 10GigE.

Except iMac Pro does not make sense to buy for all your employees considering they start at $5k. I mean, sure, hopefully you are paying people enough that $5k on their main tool to do their job isn't a big deal, that is not the way any corporation sees it. gently caress, I save people hundreds of hours with the work that I do, and when I asked IT for 64GB of RAM, they came back with 32GB and told me "well we didn't think you need that much" My 200GB dataset would beg to differ, but eh. It's IT.

Saying "buy all your people iMac Pros" is not a viable solution. Buying a fast NAS and a TB3 adapter though can be justified as investing in the company. Spending opens up quite a bit for communal resources.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

We got the 10GigE thing in the post house I worked in for a show we worked on, it was slick as heck

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Pivo posted:

You need a Storinator and a 10GigE TB3 adapter. No, it's not going to be cheap, but considering your workload, did you think it was going to be? You need a high performance NAS and you need the interface to connect to it. There's no real way around it. Anything else would be a hack.

No, I wasn't suggesting it'd be cheap. Just that I was asked not to spend the $25-50K we did on the video system (which was still cheap honestly... but, ya know, bosses). I know I'll need a high performance NAS which is why I was saying I'd be getting a Thunderbolt equipped NAS. I just didn't know how to connect multiple Thunderbolts to 'em. But it looks like we'll just have to get the TB3 adapters like you mentioned and get another 10GbE switch.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

We got the 10GigE thing in the post house I worked in for a show we worked on, it was slick as heck

Yeah I freakin' love it. Silky smooth and all in one place. But the design department side doesn't want to spend what we spent. Oh well.

How backwards compatible are Thunderbolt ports? Can I buy the $200 Sonnet Thunderbolt 3 to 10GBE adapters and have them work on our iMacs which, I think, are just Thunderbolt 2?

Oh also, if you couldn't tell, we don't have an IT person because, you know, bosses.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 25, 2018

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

landgrabber posted:

in a very odd and specific mood where i've been awake for 33 hours and am anxious thinking about whatever summer's cauldron of fresh hell apple is rapidly stirring for june 2

I finally had to break down and pick up a mini for support reasons (albeit I do like OSX, mostly) so can't wait for the Kaby-LakeG mini to slice the resale value of my 1 week old Mac in half

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BonoMan posted:

But it looks like we'll just have to get the TB3 adapters like you mentioned and get another 10GbE switch.

Surprisingly, this is the cheapest option ... We're not trying to sell something here.

BonoMan posted:

How backwards compatible are Thunderbolt ports? Can I buy the $200 Sonnet Thunderbolt 3 to 10GBE adapters and have them work on our iMacs which, I think, are just Thunderbolt 2?

TB2 used MDP connector and TB3 uses USB-C I'm pretty sure, so while the protocol should be compatible, you really want to match the port types. They are cross compatible, TB3 devices will work on TB2 at TB2 speeds, but you might need an adapter. It's sub-optimal, to say the least. But hey, if you have the budget, buy the TB3 stuff, adapter it, and when you upgrade to TB3 clients you'll just be able to ditch the dongles.

FYI: Have not tested any of this. This is a complicated setup.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BonoMan posted:

But the design department side doesn't want to spend what we spent. Oh well.

Design / creative departments always seem to have limited budgets / major technical incompetence.

I once had to advise some new guy who was obvs a nephew of one of the managing partners in the firm and only had one job before who got set up as Art Director and he thought he could get away with using nothing but Mac Minis and Hong Kong special 24" monitors for a four-color press driven corporate graphics enviroment.

His jaw hit the floor at relativistic speed when I told him he was going to need at least high-end iMacs or tower Mac Pros (this was quite a few years ago) and his budget needed to be at least 2x-4x higher, even more if they were going to work on video.

"BUT UNCLE NATE ONLY SAYS I CAN SPEND THIS MUCH" and I laughed at him and said tell your department to suck it up until next year, and spend that amount you showed me on a new phone for yourself.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Pivo posted:

Surprisingly, this is the cheapest option ... We're not trying to sell something here.

No, I know. I feel like we're misunderstanding each other or something!

Anyway thanks for all the input!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BonoMan posted:

No, I know. I feel like we're misunderstanding each other or something!

*sigh* No, I'm just a jerk, ask these other idiots.

You'll be fine.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Pivo posted:

TB2 used MDP connector and TB3 uses USB-C I'm pretty sure, so while the protocol should be compatible, you really want to match the port types. They are cross compatible, TB3 devices will work on TB2 at TB2 speeds, but you might need an adapter. It's sub-optimal, to say the least. But hey, if you have the budget, buy the TB3 stuff, adapter it, and when you upgrade to TB3 clients you'll just be able to ditch the dongles.

FYI: Have not tested any of this. This is a complicated setup.

I don’t think I’ve seen any male TB2-female TB3 adapters, if that’s what ends up being needed. I think I saw somewhere that the apple female TB2 - male TB3 adapter will work fine if your ports support that.

Edit: is it possible that a device might be exclusively TB3, e.g. won’t talk to a TB2 device?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

poo poo... They don't make those? That's weird. The protocol should be compatible. I'm sorry, I didn't know that wasn't a thing. Really? Are you sure? No one makes one? I just assumed ... I mean, there are TB2 hubs with USB-C ports, aren't there!? Gosh I feel like such an idiot. You really can't go backwards like that even though they're technically compatible?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does apple still replace/stock logic boards on late 2013 rMBPs? Long story short, I took a late 2013 rMBP13 into Apple for their quality program to fix a delaminating screen. They replaced the screen assembly but something got hosed with the logic board while it was in their care so....what options do they have if the logic board is bad and they are obligated to fix it?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It's JUST not obsolete or vintage, so typical Apple warranty stuff and service contracts apply. i.e if it was damaged in their care, they have to make you whole. It's very close to being obsolete though.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Pivo posted:

It's JUST not obsolete or vintage, so typical Apple warranty stuff and service contracts apply. i.e if it was damaged in their care, they have to make you whole. It's very close to being obsolete though.

That's what I'm getting at. Can(?) they replace the logic board or will they offer me a new/refurb unit of the next closest thing they have? I think refurbs go back to 2015 for MBPs?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Apart from the screen delamination, which was covered for free, my 2013 rMBP 15” is still trucking along great.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

That's what I'm getting at. Can(?) they replace the logic board or will they offer me a new/refurb unit of the next closest thing they have? I think refurbs go back to 2015 for MBPs?

I imagine they have parts in stock somewhere but it's really up to the individual store how they handle your claim. Remember this is Apple. Sometimes they'll wait for the part to come in from some warehouse, sometimes they'll put you in an equivalent new model as a 'favour'. I dunno. I just know that it's still serviceable. What the store does is up to, honestly, the individual.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Pivo posted:

I imagine they have parts in stock somewhere but it's really up to the individual store how they handle your claim. Remember this is Apple. Sometimes they'll wait for the part to come in from some warehouse, sometimes they'll put you in an equivalent new model as a 'favour'. I dunno. I just know that it's still serviceable. What the store does is up to, honestly, the individual.

Ah gotcha. Thanks.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hey Apple, start supporting my goddamn camera! It's only been out two months...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

Hey Apple, start supporting my goddamn camera! It's only been out two months...
But but. You should be doing ALL your organizing INSIDE Lightroom :smuggo: Only nerds use finder thumbnails.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I finally had to break down and pick up a mini for support reasons (albeit I do like OSX, mostly) so can't wait for the Kaby-LakeG mini to slice the resale value of my 1 week old Mac in half

do not worry, they will sell the 2014 mini for at least the next 30 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol if they don't put Hades Canyon into an aluminum chassis and call it a day.