Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Fist choke to the corroded instead of across the trachea. You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ihop posted:

There should be a rule against teaching white belts Ezekiels, and an honest attempt ought to be made to keep them secret from blue belts.

The first time someone ezequiel me was goddamed magical. Like I didn't even see it coming.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had an intervention with one of my training partners to tell him to stop going for bullshit Ezekiels.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Seltzer posted:

So I was messing around while seated and did something that is already a thing and I'm trying to figure out more about it. Basically while seated if someone is advancing you create a wedge by crossing your legs on top of eachother and you use that V shape to catch their ankle area on their lead leg. I was able to create some nice offbalances with it and I was told one of our higher level competitors does it all the time so it's definitely a thing.

This approach has a crippling weakness to the bronco buster

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I like the Zeke as a back-pocket choke. Threaten /occupy their attention with other stuff and then hit it when they least suspect it.

Or alternatively, do a Ezequiel setup that’s ridiculously telegraphed to try and open something else up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

butros posted:

I like the Zeke as a back-pocket choke. Threaten /occupy their attention with other stuff and then hit it when they least suspect it.

Or alternatively, do a Ezequiel setup that’s ridiculously telegraphed to try and open something else up.

That's how I use it. When people are flattening me out and crushing me in half guard, I'll lock one up to make them move a bit and I'll start shrimping. I can't remember the last time I made someone actually tap to one, but that's not the goal. The problem I've seen is that some people learn about them and just hang onto them through thick and thin as they lose position.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Nestharken posted:

The receiving end of an Ezekiel choke from the top is no place to chill out and relax. If they've already grabbed their sleeve and gotten their fist to your trachea, you're in a *lot* of trouble.

Well he didn't know how to do it, didn't even have his own sleeve gripped but was just trying to force his hand under the head on one side and push with the other straight down. And that wasn't doing any choking at all, hence why I wasn't worried. Then he grabbed his wrist through awkwardly and punched down essentially.

It had literally just gotten him with one and I think he tried to imitate without understanding what I did.

CommonShore posted:

That's how I use it. When people are flattening me out and crushing me in half guard, I'll lock one up to make them move a bit and I'll start shrimping. I can't remember the last time I made someone actually tap to one, but that's not the goal. The problem I've seen is that some people learn about them and just hang onto them through thick and thin as they lose position.

90% of the time I only ezekiel someone just to distract them while I get out of their half guard or reposition myself.

Also one time me and a blue belt who refused to tap both locked up simultaneous ezekiels on each other and then we fell over and just held on for dear life. Sadly my blood failed me first. That was the first time I've ever gone out on the mats. He said after that he was maybe a couple seconds from going out too.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 23, 2018

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Hi guys I'm the no stripe white belt who tries a failed Ezekial choke for 5 minutes

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Seltzer posted:

So I was messing around while seated and did something that is already a thing and I'm trying to figure out more about it. Basically while seated if someone is advancing you create a wedge by crossing your legs on top of eachother and you use that V shape to catch their ankle area on their lead leg. I was able to create some nice offbalances with it and I was told one of our higher level competitors does it all the time so it's definitely a thing.

Mike Fowler was just in town visiting our gym for a week and he said he does that all the time. He would actually hook with his feet and then pull himself into their leg to initiate his guard.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

FreakyMetalKid posted:

Mike Fowler was just in town visiting our gym for a week and he said he does that all the time. He would actually hook with his feet and then pull himself into their leg to initiate his guard.

Yea it's a pretty cool concept and I'm gonna run it by one of my go to upper belts soon to think about it more. I've developed a pretty good game (for my level) from sitting partially because I got very good at stopping people from passing from there so I give myself a lot of time to attack. The one move I don't see people do that often is, depending on the range, I'll grab their lead leg ankle while heisting up and pushing into their hip. Once your standing you can try to keep pushing the leg up or just sweep the back leg out. I guess it's just an ankle pick variation but I hit it on some advanced guys, I think it works good if you have long arms. You can also hit that if they're standing side on to bait you.

e- Did he pull ashi from there?

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

JaySB posted:

Fist choke to the corroded instead of across the trachea. You're welcome.

This is how I was taught, works great!

I choked the poo poo out of a new whitebelt the other night with a Ezekiel, I felt bad. Sort of.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

ihop posted:

There should be a rule against teaching white belts Ezekiels, and an honest attempt ought to be made to keep them secret from blue belts.

lol come on

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Sorry if this is the wrong spot to ask but I understand a lot of people here have meniscus injuries. I've got my MRI results back and it's a meniscus flap that tore a bit and I've been put on a waiting list to see an orthopedic surgeon. has anyone needed to get reconstruction on here that can give me an idea of how it healed and the process?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Odddzy posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong spot to ask but I understand a lot of people here have meniscus injuries. I've got my MRI results back and it's a meniscus flap that tore a bit and I've been put on a waiting list to see an orthopedic surgeon. has anyone needed to get reconstruction on here that can give me an idea of how it healed and the process?
A ton of dudes on my team have had meniscus tears repaired. Some have also just ignored it and kept training although one orthopedic surgeon told me that ignoring a meniscus tear is a good way to have a bad joint in the future. I'll reach out to some of the guys tomorrow and ask them about it.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Yuns posted:

A ton of dudes on my team have had meniscus tears repaired. Some have also just ignored it and kept training although one orthopedic surgeon told me that ignoring a meniscus tear is a good way to have a bad joint in the future. I'll reach out to some of the guys tomorrow and ask them about it.

thanks man, I appreceate it. I'm in good spirits and won't roll or anything rough on the knee so it should go fine.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

spb posted:

Hi guys I'm the no stripe white belt who tries a failed Ezekial choke for 5 minutes

Same but blue belt.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Odddzy posted:

This is me. I have ignored it for 2 years. I know a bunch of people that have had it done, they said it's roughly an 8 week healing process. I did PRP and a bunch of physical therapy/strength training exercises. It really only bugs me in a couple positions when rolling and my every day life is fine. I'll wait until they come out with a replacement meniscus before I get surgery.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Ezekiels have been my favorite submission since a small older purple belt caught me with one from the *bottom* of mount when I was a white belt. My old gym has a solid white belt -> blue belt program, but it doesn't include Ezekiel chokes, so in the final month or two before I switched gyms, I made it my personal mission to catch every single white belt there with one and then show them an escape/defense for it. Stopped back in for an open mat a few months later and some of the white belts I recognized were doing them to newer ones that I didn't recognize. It's the ciiiiiircle of liiiiiife

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

Odddzy posted:

I had 30% of mine removed a couple years back and it still bothers me. Make sure to do your PT.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

old.flv posted:

I had 30% of mine removed a couple years back and it still bothers me. Make sure to do your PT.

I imagine you mention specifically post-op PT? I did a bunch of PT before the MRI because the Physio thought it might not be necessary to get a surgery but the nagging feeling is always there.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

Odddzy posted:

I imagine you mention specifically post-op PT? I did a bunch of PT before the MRI because the Physio thought it might not be necessary to get a surgery but the nagging feeling is always there.

Yes, post. And don't so anything stupid like play soccer on a torn meniscus like yours truly.

HunterDevourer
Mar 16, 2004
The Missing

Odddzy posted:

Had a repair which lasted maybe 2 years, another bucket handle tear later on and I had the torn part removed through keyhole surgery. Recovery from the repair was nearly 6 months, removal maybe 2-3 - was also seeing the surgeon's recommended physio and cycling a lot. Don't really notice any issues now although it can sometimes lock in some situations if my knee is fully bent and I push sideways.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

HunterDevourer posted:

Had a repair which lasted maybe 2 years, another bucket handle tear later on and I had the torn part removed through keyhole surgery. Recovery from the repair was nearly 6 months, removal maybe 2-3 - was also seeing the surgeon's recommended physio and cycling a lot. Don't really notice any issues now although it can sometimes lock in some situations if my knee is fully bent and I push sideways.

Did the second incident happen because of the first?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Odddzy posted:

Had a small 'parrot beak' shaped tear on one knee that they just trimmed out, 2 weeks later had clearance to do everything. 10+ years later no issue. It wasn't cause pain only popping (subluxation) surgeon and sports doctor were very adamant that it wasn't something that could be managed with PT or any kind of surgical repair was possible. Basically was told if that I had the ideal meniscus tear, very minimal amount of material removed.

About 3 years ago completely hosed the other meniscus, turned a big area of it into fairy floss that they cut out. Surgeon literally said "there's nothing you can do, you've trashed it" - that repair and recovery would be a very long process that would not last if I continued to be active. If I was older and just looking for quality of life then he would not recommend but still would offer it.

I don't think I've been swindled by meniscectomy-hungry surgeons/doctors. My wife is in the industry and went through her connections to find doctors and surgeons.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I broke a training partner's nose tonight! She was in top north south and leaned in right as I tried to get my knees between us. POP. I barely felt her nose make contact with my knee. Blood everywhere.

I just got back from the ER where I sat with her while she waited and she told me about her etsy projects :v:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I broke a training partner's nose tonight! She was in top north south and leaned in right as I tried to get my knees between us. POP. I barely felt her nose make contact with my knee. Blood everywhere.

I just got back from the ER where I sat with her while she waited and she told me about her etsy projects :v:

You tried to do what?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

You tried to do what?

She didn't have her weight down on me yet to secure north-south, so I was trying to own the space by getting my knees between us as a shield so I could roll back over to a seated position. She leaned forward at the same second.

e. kinda like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoNiqF3E5RE

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 25, 2018

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Looks like bullshit

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Looks like a really lovely escape and a great way to do exactly what you did.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

https://youtu.be/1F00_QrUwFI

Same thing but less wild.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I wasn't going for the rollover or anything. It was just the first reference i found for where I was putting my legs.

Yeah, that. Exactly. I've done it a million times as a way of keeping the space to shrimp out when someone is trying to sink north south on me. The collission was just a tiny *boop*, too, but it did damage.

I'm double :smith: about it today.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

CommonShore posted:

I wasn't going for the rollover or anything. It was just the first reference i found for where I was putting my legs.

Yeah, that. Exactly. I've done it a million times as a way of keeping the space to shrimp out when someone is trying to sink north south on me. The collission was just a tiny *boop*, too, but it did damage.

I'm double :smith: about it today.

I dunno, sounds like that defence worked to me.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Pocket Billiards posted:

Had a small 'parrot beak' shaped tear on one knee that they just trimmed out, 2 weeks later had clearance to do everything. 10+ years later no issue. It wasn't cause pain only popping (subluxation) surgeon and sports doctor were very adamant that it wasn't something that could be managed with PT or any kind of surgical repair was possible. Basically was told if that I had the ideal meniscus tear, very minimal amount of material removed.

About 3 years ago completely hosed the other meniscus, turned a big area of it into fairy floss that they cut out. Surgeon literally said "there's nothing you can do, you've trashed it" - that repair and recovery would be a very long process that would not last if I continued to be active. If I was older and just looking for quality of life then he would not recommend but still would offer it.

I don't think I've been swindled by meniscectomy-hungry surgeons/doctors. My wife is in the industry and went through her connections to find doctors and surgeons.

So how does the one that had the partial maniscectomy feel now? You can't roll anymore?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Sorry I forget are you both white belts? Could see them spazzing out and getting a knee to the nose doing that

HunterDevourer
Mar 16, 2004
The Missing

Odddzy posted:

Did the second incident happen because of the first?

Not that I'm aware of, although the scar tissue and repair probably made it more susceptible to a similar injury. As I recall, the surgeon from the repair suggested that it may tear again and need to be removed but indicated that repair was preferable.

In hindsight as the repair only lasted two years I would've probably gone for the removal at first instance. I just try and build up muscle to support the knee now.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Lost my belt yesterday. :argh: I didn't pack it back into my bag when leaving class. I think I accidentally dropped it into the laundry service bin with my gi. I'll have to wait until next week to see if it shows up.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

What do you wear at Renzo's if you lose/forget your belt?

We have the pink belt of shame :smith:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

butros posted:

What do you wear at Renzo's if you lose/forget your belt?

We have the pink belt of shame :smith:
White belt. We actually have a pink belt in the belt bin but I've never seen anyone dare put it on for class.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Odddzy posted:

So how does the one that had the partial maniscectomy feel now? You can't roll anymore?

Was able to roll 100% two weeks after the surgery and 10 years later can still do it no problem at all. All my ligaments are in great shape fortunately.

I was doing 10km runs, jogging, weight training, etc as well. Since obliterating the other one I still roll 100%, lift weights and run around the mats for warmup, but don't jog or play touch football/soccer or anything like that because of impact.

Probably will be an arthritic mess in my older years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
What's it called when you have someone in your guard, you overhook an arm and then trap it by grabbing their cross collar, then you push off their hip on the same side and turn over / extend their arm to arm bar it? I want to watch a video that goes over the details.