Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I never inferred anything specific from their divorce. It could've been cheating. It could've been anything. Arnett deals with alcoholism. Poehler opened up about substance abuse in her memoir. I imagine it was just messy and toxic overall, especially given that both have been kind to each other in the press since.

It sounds like Arnett has made good strides based on interviews he's given for Flaked and BoJack. Those talks reveal that he was a real poo poo in the past, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It just sounds like a divorce.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I don’t know how anyone could look at Arnett’s body of work outside of AD and not just blankety assume he’s got some serious self-worth issues to work through.

But I also think Bojack Horseman is the funniest and most important TV show since Arrested Development.

Amy Poehler wrote a book about marriage and relationships and she had a passage about maintenance sex being an important tool in a married person’s repertoire and that really cemented the idea in my head that she was probably a very smart lady but with some stuff going on, and according to her neighbors she sucked to live next door to.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bust Rodd posted:

I doubt there is anything left to film since the show already wrapped for cast back in november

also it's weird to say blanketly "Cheating on your spouse makes you a bad dude" because we dont have the slightest window into their relationship. If you've ever been in a relationship with someone who emotionally abuses you or mentally abuses you, sometimes loving someone else is the only way to get any sense of self worth back into your life.

What the gently caress.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

What the gently caress.

I guess some people don't make personal judgments about the character of people they have never met and know nothing about? crazy

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sealed the deal

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Did they even sonsummate the marriage?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

People can have a bad relationship and need a divorce without necessarily having done something specifically evil to each other, and I am not comfortable with all this speculation, sans evidence, about what that evil thing could be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wandle Cax posted:

I guess some people don't make personal judgments about the character of people they have never met and know nothing about? crazy

I don’t think that actually happens no.

Hell the person wasn’t even arguing that.

But nice attempt at a burn I guess

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

Chairman Capone posted:

Did they even sonsummate the marriage?

Narrator: They hadn't.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hosed my wife!......'s friend.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Golden Bee posted:

Did they not explain the maca root/estrogen in the recut?

I dont think its actually spelled out in the original cut either.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s very explicitly stated in George Sr.’s last episode

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think that actually happens no.

Hell the person wasn’t even arguing that.

But nice attempt at a burn I guess

Then why did you reply "What the gently caress." to a reasonable post about not judging a relationship that we don't know anything about?

Bust Rodd posted:

Amy Poehler wrote a book about marriage and relationships and she had a passage about maintenance sex being an important tool in a married person’s repertoire and that really cemented the idea in my head that she was probably a very smart lady but with some stuff going on, and according to her neighbors she sucked to live next door to.

I'm curious about this now. Why did she suck to live next door to?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Then why did you reply "What the gently caress." to a reasonable post about not judging a relationship that we don't know anything about?

I'm curious about this now. Why did she suck to live next door to?

Because the content was insanely hosed up

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because the content was insanely hosed up

Baby... Who hurt you?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not sure whether to be looking forward to S5 or not, but I'm doing a mini-rewatch anyway and ... boy, this was never what you'd call a "woke" show, was it.

The very first episode is a great big gay panic joke.

All of S1 took place before anyone started talking about prison rape being a problematic subject.

I'm three episodes into S4 remix and the entire India sequence is a bunch of jokes about overpopulation.

I don't know what I expected.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember watching the first three seasons at the time, I felt like the show's tone was something like the mythical 'moderate Republican' who was against George W. Bush but not on the left. Michael in particular always came across as like a McCain/Romney type. The only 'liberal' character on the show was Lindsey and her being a liberal stereotype was her whole point.

That being said I do think the first three seasons were pretty clearly a big critique of the Bush family/admin.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember watching the first three seasons at the time, I felt like the show's tone was something like the mythical 'moderate Republican' who was against George W. Bush but not on the left. Michael in particular always came across as like a McCain/Romney type. The only 'liberal' character on the show was Lindsey and her being a liberal stereotype was her whole point.

That being said I do think the first three seasons were pretty clearly a big critique of the Bush family/admin.

Lindsay wasn't even a true liberal per se, she just adopted liberal causes for appearance's sake and then abandoned them as soon as they presented even a minor inconvenience. They should have her as the Ivanka analogue this season, instead of using her to riff on Trump.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Exactly, she was the "limousine liberal" stereotype that conservatives think all of Hollywood is made up of. Airheaded actressy bimbos who wear PETA t-shirts and who think "wetlands" are worth saving but call it a "swamp" and you can bulldoze it to build tract houses.

Though watching S4 I don't see any of that left in her. On her own and seeking personal meaning she's so tiresome. I hope S5 finds more "look I know you got a crocodile in spelling" moments, even if she's hardly in it.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 27, 2018

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This show has never been very "woke" and by today's standards it is pretty horribly offensive to many. I would imagine even more so to someone who watches for the first time who was a kid in 2003 but an adult now. A lot of the people who latched onto it as smart, funny tv in the past 15 years have changed a lot and their attitudes towards what they find acceptable in entertainment has changed. The show lost a lot of viewers just for keeping Tambor after what happened with Transparent, the interview only exacerbated it, and I imagine many more will reject it now as well as reevaluate the early seasons as being problematic.

I can't see it garnering many new viewers among younger people, so the question will be who will remain that was a fan who will stay on for the ride? I think with all the negative press, and probably some outright appeals to boycott, there won't be a Season 6.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Not sure there will be a season 6 either, but the show always thrived on being slightly offensive and boundary-pushing wrt sexuality. Jokes like that exist, but largely (of course, not always), the show doesn't punch down or make other groups out to be inferior or anything like that - the main cast being the most offensive people by far.

I just started watching Always Sunny from the beginning a while back and that show is arguably way more offensive than AD at its worst, especially with regards to transgendered people. Later on they lean more into it and it becomes part of the shows makeup, but in the early seasons it gets pretty rough with a lot of offensive jokes that are neither smart nor funny.

Obviously many things about AD haven't aged well, but I think retroactively trying to position it as a worse show than it is just because the cast is stupid is maybe not fair. Generally speaking it's not that big a victim in my opinion, especially considering it was way ahead of its time in many other respects.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 27, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hakkesshu posted:

Not sure there will be a season 6 either, but the show always thrived on being slightly offensive and boundary-pushing. Jokes like that exist, but largely (of course, not always), the show doesn't punch down or make other groups out to be inferior or anything like that - the main cast being the most offensive people by far.

I guess, but that's what people said about South Park, and for similar reasons South Park is not the paragon of comedy it once was, even retrospectively.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Data Graham posted:

I guess, but that's what people said about South Park, and for similar reasons South Park is not the paragon of comedy it once was, even retrospectively.

I wouldn't say that about South Park at all. That show often tried to play the "I hate everyone equally" card which for drat sure has not aged well.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

South Park had always been a oval office show made by cunts for cunts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Netflix has canceled all further press and promotional interviews for Season 5.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
"I've made a huge mistake"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The racism has always be firmly grounded in making the Bluth’s look bad and ignorant, but the homophobic themes and trans-jokes have always been somewhat mean-spirited in a very sit-comy way.

That’s why the Loophole joke is so weird. It just a stereotype gag performed by 3 Asian people for seemingly no comedic value.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timby posted:

Netflix has canceled all further press and promotional interviews for Season 5.

I'd say it's DOA now. They won't promote it, but it's already made and ratings aren't a concern so they might as well have it available to consume. But they won't count on it to bring in more subscribers.

It won't matter much anyway, since it's being released at he same time as Kimmy Schmidt so they're just as much like to gain and retain subs for that with smart comedy fans.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's funny that the actors have talked about the wall jokes in season 4 aging badly, because that's actually prescient. That makes the writers look savvy, for summing up American racism in a way that would come to be exactly reflected by a real politician.

The jokes that have aged horrendously are the cracks at LGBT people. There's something very 2000s about that aspect of the show, wherein the writers were ostensibly not anti-gay on a political level, but hadn't yet learned to cut the poo poo with the insults and stereotypes. See also: Jon Stewart.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Supercar Gautier posted:

The jokes that have aged horrendously are the cracks at LGBT people. There's something very 2000s about that aspect of the show, wherein the writers were ostensibly not anti-gay on a political level, but hadn't yet learned to cut the poo poo with the insults and stereotypes. See also: Jon Stewart.

Back in 1996-2000 I was partly responsible for a niche gay comic series that was just jam-packed full of various stereotypes straight out of central casting. The rationale at the time, even as someone from the "target audience" as it were, was that we had to "poke fun at ourselves" in order to appear less serious and humorless and thus avoid putting potentially unsympathetic audiences on their guard. Like, trying to defuse inbound mockery and insults by heading them off, flouncing and lisping and all the like—because if we didn't "own" that behavior it would just be used against us, whether as parody or outright defamation.

Looking back at it recently it was shocking to see how out-of-place it would look if it had been published new today, and how horribly it would have gone over, not only with the target audience but by the larger populace who might run into it. Patronizing, reductive, pandering... sort of a minstrel show.

It's interesting seeing those same patterns happening in other genres. I like to think that it means this kind of evolution is sort of a social inevitability, and that other similar evolutions can tell us where to expect it to go.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Even ignoring all of the underlying homophobia, transphobia and able-ism in the show, it's weird how they pick certain characters to act as punching bags - almost always women. Just in season 4 Ann and DeBrie come across as particularly mean spirited.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Even ignoring all of the underlying homophobia, transphobia and able-ism in the show, it's weird how they pick certain characters to act as punching bags - almost always women. Just in season 4 Ann and DeBrie come across as particularly mean spirited.

Gob is a punching bag too, though a much more deserving one.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol I like how everyone became pussies since 2004. It’s a comedy show not a documentary.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
What time does new content usually drop?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Midnight pacific time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Empress Brosephine posted:

Lol I like how everyone became pussies since 2004. It’s a comedy show not a documentary.
\|

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's after midnight on the East Coast. Where's the show about the terrible people played by mostly terrible people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

It's after midnight on the East Coast. Where's the show about the terrible people played by mostly terrible people?

Netflix and Hulu shows typically upload at 3 AM EST, midnight Pacific.

• Locked thread