Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I was somewhat incorrect, see above.

I was repeating what I remembered from a Reddit discussion where some guy that bought dozens of 1080p Movies Anywhere codes on resale was pissed that he wasn’t getting free upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

If you already own a movie in HD and want it in 4K just gift it to yourself.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Good news for UK viewers: Channel 4 is finally making a tvOS app.

https://twitter.com/4viewers/status/995273696364417025?s=21

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Apparently the new Steam Link app that's coming will run on Apple TV.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s neat. It’s like a new version of OnLive, yeah? That was a service I thought would run terribly, then was insanely surprised how good it was. Shame they mismanaged themselves into oblivion, because it should’ve been a hit.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

That’s neat. It’s like a new version of OnLive, yeah? That was a service I thought would run terribly, then was insanely surprised how good it was. Shame they mismanaged themselves into oblivion, because it should’ve been a hit.

Kinda but not exactly. It uses your PC to run the games so you don’t pay anything for the service and you can run pretty much any game that steam has.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, not really. OnLive streamed from remote servers. Steamlink just steams off your home PC.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s like RDP for games

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh, that’s not as cool but I’m sure most steam people will like it. I don’t have a gaming capable computer, so not something I’d use.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
It means your Apple TV can now work as a Steam in-home streaming client. A Steam Link box does the same thing, except it's a standalone doohickey.

Basically means you can use your Apple TV to play your Steam games that are loaded on your local PC on your TV via the in-home streaming feature. It works quite well if you're on a wired network.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kefkafloyd posted:

It means your Apple TV can now work as a Steam in-home streaming client. A Steam Link box does the same thing, except it's a standalone doohickey.

Basically means you can use your Apple TV to play your Steam games that are loaded on your local PC on your TV via the in-home streaming feature. It works quite well if you're on a wired network.

It works extremely well on an 802.11ac network as well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The best recent Apple TV app is the one for Comet, an over-the-air digital substation that exclusively airs horror and science fiction films owned by MGM. It’s great because my local Comet affiliate disappeared last week with no warning (probably not a good sign for Comet).

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Comet is great - the programming ranges from some of the best stuff available to 'the best of the worst'.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Oh poo poo. There's an ATV app for that? Yeah that's a great channel. They have a sister channel Charge! It's the same deal but for action stuff.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

kefkafloyd posted:

What's the use case for that? If it's only games I already own, on my PC... Why walk into the other room to play?
Is this it? Is this my "kids today" moment? ??

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TV plus couch experience. Lean back. Use that sound system.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

CaptainCrunch posted:

What's the use case for that? If it's only games I already own, on my PC... Why walk into the other room to play?

Play on your PC or play on the couch. The choice is yours.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If you don't like playing games on your TV then yeah there's no benefit. I find stuff like fighting games and GTA to be a lot more fun on the couch though.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

CaptainCrunch posted:

I want to play my games on my giant TV and stereo system from my living room sofa instead of in the computer room. :shrug: If you don't have that kind of setup then yeah, it's not useful, but I imagine a lot of people do.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

CaptainCrunch posted:

Some games are lean back experiences, others lean forward.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Ah, thanks guys. Makes sense. I put a lot of my "quality" gear into the gaming rig, just wasn't considering some folks have it the other way 'round.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CaptainCrunch posted:

Ah, thanks guys. Makes sense. I put a lot of my "quality" gear into the gaming rig, just wasn't considering some folks have it the other way 'round.

Well, that gear is still going to good use. As long as you have a good 802.11ac or use gigabit Ethernet it’s going to look light years better than anything the aTV can do natively (I’m basing that off of the SteamLink box). So the better your gaming box build, the better it’s going look and play through the SteamLink.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
While I'd love to not need the Steam Link I own, I bet Valve won't be able to do anything about Apple's insistence on MFi controllers (aka Steelseries or bust).

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

There's this bit from Ars, so maybe?

quote:

While Valve said the app will include support for the Steam Controller, MFi-certified iOS controllers, "and more," it's unclear whether more generic USB/bluetooth controllers and/or mouse/keyboard setups will be usable via the mobile app (Update: A Valve representative tells Ars that keyboard/mouse controls will be supported, with a fuller list of compatible controllers available before launch).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Steam Link box goes on sale for $5-10 so if you need kb/mouse you can always just get that instead.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Proteus Jones posted:

Well, that gear is still going to good use. As long as you have a good 802.11ac or use gigabit Ethernet it’s going to look light years better than anything the aTV can do natively (I’m basing that off of the SteamLink box). So the better your gaming box build, the better it’s going look and play through the SteamLink.

Oh sure, I get that. I just play mostly FPS and Diablo III, either style of game would give me hives to use a controller on my TV for. I just got scope-locked when trying to figure out SteamLink's appeal.

Just forgot that you could get console-style games on Steam, and that routing them to a "console" to play might be useful.

Even if I never use it, I'm glad it's on AppleTV to expand the appeal of the device.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Diablo 3 is awesome with a controller, unless the PC version is markedly different than the PS4 one

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

hey girl you up posted:

Diablo 3 is awesome with a controller, unless the PC version is markedly different than the PS4 one

The PC version doesn't have native controller support, unfortunately.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013
How the hell do you rename the Apple TV anymore? I can only find a setting for what HomeKit room it's in under the airplay settings now.

I have both a HomePod and an Apple TV in my living room, and both loving idiotically try to call themselves "Living Room" which results in airplay issues and name collisions and lots of Living Room (2) and Living Room (3) poo poo appearing on my network. I tried renaming the HomePod in the Home app (can't find a way to do that for the Apple TV) but that seems to have zero effect on the name it broadcasts.

Someone please tell me Apple did consider the idea that there might be more than one Apple device in a room.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Curious as well. Mine somehow renamed itself to my Sonos speaker group name. Almost positive I didn’t do it somehow

I haven’t bothered looking yet figured it was an easy fix in HomeKit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

on the atv, Settings > General > About > Name

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Yeah, pretty sure you have to name it in the settings of the device itself.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Thanks y’all

Also not sure if y’all knew this but I did notice if you hold play/pause you can easily switch between audio sources. Not sure if this is new?

Makes it real seamless to switch to headphones on the go without fussing with settings.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Apple rejected the SteamLink app. Because of course they did.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Makes it real seamless to switch to headphones on the go without fussing with settings.

Ohh nice

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I hadn’t noticed that before, might be new or just a bit hidden. I like to use headphones when the wife is sleeping in the next room, so that’s neat.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Is there any reason that my wife’s Netflix profile would have been parental controls set to like, maximum? She can watch Mama Mia! (for example) on her phone but it won’t play on our ATV. She’s even the dang account owner for our Netflix.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I hadn’t noticed that before, might be new or just a bit hidden. I like to use headphones when the wife is sleeping in the next room, so that’s neat.

I’m pretty sure it’s new or the devices have to actually be on? or at least registered to that device/iCloud.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Apple rejected the SteamLink app. Because of course they did.

Not true; they approved it, Steam announced it and then they revoked the approval lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

FCKGW posted:

Not true; they approved it, Steam announced it and then they revoked the approval lol.

I'm going to guess Apple wanted to reveal it at WWDC?