Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Buy an impact (or a pulse driver if you’re doing Ryobi) and start using star-drive screws and never look back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Now that we're all kind of in agreement.. Make sure to get a set of impact rated bits in case you're ever sending a screw through metal, or anything really

I'm off to bed argue away :D

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the impact driver is a lot more convenient than I gave it credit for before I had one. Sure, a drill is technically more versatile in that it can grab anything, not just things that have a hex shaft, but between the lighter weight, shorter profile, and better power, the impact driver is a lot more pleasant to use. And there are plenty of impact-rated bits out there.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
I also have the most common drill sizes 4-6mm in hex shank, which can be quickly used with the impact for small drilling tasks. Also get a counter sunk hex shank drill bit or two for when you want to get fancy with the pre drilling.

Examples (just to show the type, not recommending the particular brand or model):
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW255...hank+drill+bits
https://www.amazon.com/Countersink-...its+countersink

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I recently just buckled and bought both, and since I'm in Europe everything is more expensive as well as harder to get hold of brands like Milwaukee, Makita and DeWalt at anything less than eye-gouging prices. I elected to go for Blue line Bosch 12v drill and impact drivers. I love the size and how they feel to hold. I'm waiting for a Bosch bit kit before I can give them a test run. I figure they'll be way above anything I'll need to do as a home owner, and the impact will serve me well for automotive use and save me so much time removing screws and bolts. I don't really care about having the power to break bigger poo poo loose since I have an air impact / breaker bars. It's the drat time it takes to manually unscrew 10 screws for the aero-panels while on my back under the car that's the biggest annoyance.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Yeah having a 12v impact driver on hand with a couple of decent bits is the tits. It really takes the hassle out of a lot of little jobs around the house. Recently I had to remove all the striker plates on the doors because they were blowing open, it would have been a pain in the rear end with a regular screwdriver. Mine has been fine for driving 100mm battens through seasoned timber too. I wouldn’t want to do it all day long by it was fine for the 8 or so screws I needed to put in.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

devicenull posted:

Impact drivers are game changers really. Definitely worth having. It's basically "oh I have this fastener I want in/out, let me grab the impact". Mine gets a ton of use, even for generic household tasks (like.. assembling Ikea crap)

It's memorial day soon, so it's tool sale time.. for $99 you can get both

I feel like a driver would completely pulverize whatever Ikea thing you're trying to assemble.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

I assembled an Ikea kitchen recently with a makita impact. No problems. Just set the power setting on low and stop driving when the screw is in. Pretty sure the low torque setting is exactly for stuff like that.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
ehhh most have pretty good variable triggers and mine has a torque limiting function or something along those lines. As long as you're not a total ham fisted oaf you should be fine.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Theres real good reason that the basic kit you see all the time is a basic drill and an impact driver. It covers all the normal homeowner basics just fine.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Rnr posted:

I assembled an Ikea kitchen recently with a makita impact. No problems. Just set the power setting on low and stop driving when the screw is in. Pretty sure the low torque setting is exactly for stuff like that.

Pretty much, you just need to be a little more aware than usual and its much easier

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
What do you guys use for depth stops on drill bits?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

blue tape

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Pretty much, you just need to be a little more aware than usual and its much easier

this but also make sure you use pozidriv bits for anything that looks like a phillips head

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Crosspost from the Home Spergin thread:

Hubis posted:

Well, I found a great use for my FlirOne thermal camera!

:smith:

Hubis posted:

The FLIR One is $200, which is expensive and I'd say the usefulness doesn't quite justify the price but is ok if you can also justify some "toy" value as well.

That being said, I got one of those and found it was definitely promising but the resolution was too low for me to find it actually useful, so I resold it and bought the $400 FLIR One Pro instead, which is basically the same sensor as their (more expensive) standalone camera. It's definitely been revealing -- I did an insulation audit this winter I might have some pictures from. I was meaning to do a little review if anyone is interested.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

There are sets you can buy with different sized circular stops. Or you can get a 1x1 chunk of wood, drill through it to the chuck, set the bit accordingly.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

blue tape is the way to go, those circular collars are a pain in the rear end imo, I hate getting out a little allen wrench and messing with them they always seem to slip

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

blue tape is the way to go, those circular collars are a pain in the rear end imo, I hate getting out a little allen wrench and messing with them they always seem to slip

They'll also mark your wood if you aren't careful. I think my set has like 3 different allen wrench sizes to make it even more annoying. For some reason I keep using them though.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Why does the colour of the tape matter?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

Why does the colour of the tape matter?

it doesnt

i dont know if anyone really buys plain masking tape any more because it's so inferior compared to blue tape

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have literally never seen blue tape for sale here in the UK.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Steakandchips posted:

Looks like you're screwed then.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Steakandchips posted:

It's painter's tape. I think I've seen it in green, but it pretty much always blue. Wide and blue masking tape.

In other news, like a moron I hit a screw head with my round over bit :(

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Painters tape is yellowish here.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Haha, cool, will just use masking tape most like.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Steakandchips posted:

afaik the blue is a branding gimmick in the US so it's no surprise you don't see it elsewhere.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Hubis posted:

afaik the blue is a branding gimmick the best color and only available in the US so it's no surprise you don't see it elsewhere.

:maga:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

Painters tape is yellowish here.

Piss tape...is real?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Hubis posted:

afaik the blue is a branding gimmick in the US so it's no surprise you don't see it elsewhere.

Yea you dont need to buy the 3m stuff but most painters tape is blue and you definitely dont want to be using normal masking tape to paint

tangy yet delightful posted:

Piss tape...is real?

The signs are everywhere

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

rockler's got their blue bar 36inch clamps on for 25 bucks right now, plus 15 percent off everything else

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

bobua posted:

rockler's got their blue bar 36inch clamps on for 25 bucks right now, plus 15 percent off everything else

I have never used this style of clamp before. Are the Rockler branded ones worth picking up over the $11.99 version from Harbor Freight? From what I've read, the HF ones can be a bit weak, but if you insert a piece of wood inside the hollow channel, this solves that problem. Typically I snag the Bessey F-style clamps when they go on sale, but having something that I could lay on a workbench and then position the material inside the clamping area would be super nice.

That or Home Depot dropped their price on Bessey Parallel clamps, so you can snag the 50" for $39 or 24" for $35 which could be another option for my needs.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Honestly not sure, but I'm so clamp poor I grabbed 4, will report back.

I own 2 harbor freight clamps and they make me sad every time I use them.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I’ve got to drill approx 25 holes through a double course of extremely hard engineering brick, and the cheap cordless hammer drill I’ve got is doing it but extremely slowly and keeps overheating. Is it worth getting an SDS+ drill to do this job, and any recommendations? I’m UK based for what it’s worth.

I’ve looked into hiring one and locally at least its looking to cost nearly 2/3 of the cost of just buying one.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Makita, you can pick up a corded one for under a hundred quid.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
In the US, you can get a corded demolition hammer drill starting around $200. Brands don't really matter for your application as long as its a reputable brand. Besides Makita, there's Hilti, Hitachi, Bosch, dewalt, etc. The should be in an elongated or wide form factor compared to a regular drill.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Vitamins posted:

I’ve got to drill approx 25 holes through a double course of extremely hard engineering brick, and the cheap cordless hammer drill I’ve got is doing it but extremely slowly and keeps overheating. Is it worth getting an SDS+ drill to do this job, and any recommendations? I’m UK based for what it’s worth.

I’ve looked into hiring one and locally at least its looking to cost nearly 2/3 of the cost of just buying one.

You're using a liquid as lube right? Corded would definitely help. RIP that drill

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

My blue Ryobi drill with the (formerly)biggest green battery does everything I need it to, but I impulse-bought a pre-reunification Bosch corded one at a pawn shop for $20. The thing's a beast, but has a bit of a wobble, as if the shaft were bent. Is there a chance it's just the bearings, or is she totally fuckerated?

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

Here are two pages of different makita rotary hammer drills. Go to town: https://www.fastfix.co.uk/makita-cordless-tools/makita-sds-plus-drills.html?p=1

My brother gifted me the DHR243 after he had worked on boring the holes for stone fasteners for twenty road bumps in his allotment allotment association. I used it to drill the 22mm holes through the 15x15cm columns in the car port I built, to tie into the 115x333mm glulam beams carrying the roof structure.

I suggest you find a similar drill used, they can last a long time. Or if you're not exactly building a new structure, then a drill from the 10v line will probably do just fine, lots of people in the trades use those too, when the heavier stuff is just needlessly heavy.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Vitamins posted:

How old/new is the bit?
If the carbide tip is worn, a new drill won't really be much of a help.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vitamins posted:

Check your local Aldi and Lidl, they both do SDS hammer drills cheap pretty often which are orders of magnitude better than a cordless hammer drill, but not as good as a red/yellow/teal one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

OK so I've just bought 300m of cladding and I'm gonna need to cut it. So, power mitre saw, right?

If you have any specific recommendations that'd be splendid, but more practically are there any features of a mitre saw that you feel I should be looking for?

While I'll only be doing a few actual 45 degree mitres, I'm told the best way to lap the boards lengthways is with a scarf joint, and there'll be lots of those. Uncut lengths around 4m.