Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Long weekend and my Saturday morning class was cancelled. Time to snuggle up with some Stardew Valley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://mimidoshima.wordpress.com/2018/05/24/from-the-people-behind-melty-blood-and-uniel/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

quote:

It is customary for example to refer to the video game not as Death Crimson but as Death-sama (デス様). For the truly religious, they may glue the CD-ROM into the Sega Saturn’s disk reader, its lid from opening, and finally the light gun controller into the console to make the console permanently play the game forever. These consoles are called Death Saturns and players who successfully made these console modifications became legends.

An artist named Sumi Takamasa went for something bigger. Known for their eccentric sculptures in their own curated museum The Wonder Museum, they have created a larger-than-life replica of the Crimson gun that points to a small TV screen playing Death Crimson.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lower undead berg dogs are doin me swede in

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
legendary kuso gay

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have too many games

I started Nep vs Seha last week cause I wanted to play it and it was on sale. Then I went on a business trip, so I got Celeste because the Switch was the only gaming I was bringing with me. And during that trip the new ffxiv patch came out so I'm being pulled out of hiatus on that

video games are too good imo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Propaganda Hour posted:

Long weekend and my Saturday morning class was cancelled. Time to snuggle up with some Stardew Valley.

brah gross. why would you ever take a saturday morning class

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The White Dragon posted:

brah gross. why would you ever take a saturday morning class

It's actually a M/W/Thur/SatAM course. 4-6 hours a session. Summer half-semester graduate courses are brain melters.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
8 hours and about 2/3 through Detroit and I've seen almost nothing truly cringe worthy.

The "press X to Sadness" picture is misleading. Markus is tasked with painting something, and you pick from four subjects, then pick from four emotions, each resulting in a different picture. So you might pick "humanity" then "empathy", or "identity" then "sadness".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

8 hours and about 2/3 through Detroit and I've seen almost nothing truly cringe worthy.

The "press X to Sadness" picture is misleading. Markus is tasked with painting something, and you pick from four subjects, then pick from four emotions, each resulting in a different picture. So you might pick "humanity" then "empathy", or "identity" then "sadness".

Should be a button for dignity then

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Share the "We have a dream" moment when you get to it, please.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I have too many games

I started Nep vs Seha last week cause I wanted to play it and it was on sale. Then I went on a business trip, so I got Celeste because the Switch was the only gaming I was bringing with me. And during that trip the new ffxiv patch came out so I'm being pulled out of hiatus on that

video games are too good imo

Yeah same here *crosses the 400 hour threshold in Splatoon*

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Propaganda Hour posted:

It's actually a M/W/Thur/SatAM course. 4-6 hours a session. Summer half-semester graduate courses are brain melters.

every single time I've taken long classes, you can feel the energy in the room plummet after hour three and it's so painfully obvious nobody is engaged or interested in being there anymore that i don't see the point

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Looper posted:

every single time I've taken long classes, you can feel the energy in the room plummet after hour three and it's so painfully obvious nobody is engaged or interested in being there anymore that i don't see the point

poo poo that happens halfway through 90 minute classes, let alone 6 hours.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Looper posted:

I took 2 hour 30 min classes last semester and preferred them to my old college schedule. I'd rather do all my poo poo for a class once a week in a big chunk then have to keep going back to the same one multiple times.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Share the "We have a dream" moment when you get to it, please.

It might be in a scene I didn't get to see because of branching because it looks like it's from earlier in the game than I'm at

Point is, yeah there's some heavy handed symbolism and all but those moments are tiny compared to most of the game.

I'm just going to shut up though because I'm 100% certain this is one of those cases where the goon echo chamber is so strong that everyone has decided long ago that the game is bad and refuse to even entertain the notion that it isn't.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
David cage is a creep so it doesn't really matter how good or bad his games are imo

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Looper posted:

We had to take a couple Saturday classes for the apprenticeship. 8 hours every Saturday for like 6 weeks or something. loving sucked, especially cuz one of them was a dude reading off PowerPoint slides for 5 hours with 3 hours of documentaries slipped in to break things up

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I took 2 hour 30 min classes last semester and preferred them to my old college schedule. I'd rather do all my poo poo for a class once a week in a big chunk then have to keep going back to the same one multiple times.

my grad school classes were so mentally exhausting that it was actually a huge relief when i got in trouble at work for doing my homework on the clock because i could justify turning my brain off for a few hours

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

precision posted:

It might be in a scene I didn't get to see because of branching because it looks like it's from earlier in the game than I'm at

Point is, yeah there's some heavy handed symbolism and all but those moments are tiny compared to most of the game.

I'm just going to shut up though because I'm 100% certain this is one of those cases where the goon echo chamber is so strong that everyone has decided long ago that the game is bad and refuse to even entertain the notion that it isn't.

Would you say it's as well written as Far Cry 5?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

precision posted:

I just Youtube'd the endings and I can assure you it's stilll bad

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

precision posted:

I'm willing to consider that its the best david cage game but you're right I'm not able to entertain the idea that david cage is capable of making an unironically good game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Would you say it's as well written as Far Cry 5?

Far Cry 5 is not very well written so yes.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey here's a better idea: Go throw Detroit in the trash and fire up Yakuza 0 because it's the best drama with a select group of characters that have an exciting and interesting tangle of conflicts with one another to come out in years.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've already bought and played every Yakuza game, i've paid my game tax

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean hey, if you like Detroit, like whatever. People are clowning on it because it takes all these very obvious references and homages to both fiction and actual history and treats them with little to no respect.

I still watch the part of Awano punching the wall and Majima losing his poo poo on a semi-regular basis.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Taintrunner posted:

I mean hey, if you like Detroit, like whatever. People are clowning on it because it takes all these very obvious references and homages to both fiction and actual history and treats them with little to no respect

Being in the unique position of having actually played much of the game, my point is that it really, actually doesn't have many moments that do that. Those moments exist. But they really are a few moments out of hours and hours of content. One plot line contains pretty much none of that and one plot line contains very little of it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

precision posted:

Being in the unique position of having actually played much of the game, my point is that it really, actually doesn't have many moments that do that. Those moments exist. But they really are a few moments out of hours and hours of content. One plot line contains pretty much none of that and one plot line contains very little of it.

But you have to come to terms with the fact we live in very trying times, and seeing someone like Ken Levine or David Cage play fast and loose with what is a painful reality for so many people for the sake of schlocky videogame entertainment, is incredibly upsetting. It also doesn't deal with the class politics of the universe they're setting up, at all, while better media like Altered Carbon and to some degree Westworld have acknowledged it and embraced it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I refuse to play any of those games after omikron which is the worst game I've ever played in my life

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Indigo Prophecy is the worst game I've ever played but I enjoyed Heavy Rain in the one played I did so I'm probaby willing to give Detroit a shot at some point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Taintrunner posted:

It also doesn't deal with the class politics of the universe they're setting up, at all

Except that it does.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

detroit actually looks fun to me and like a game i would enjoy, i just hate david cage because he's a creep completely divorced from his talent (or lack thereof) as a game dev

i want to play the game but i super don't want to give him any money

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

detroit actually looks fun to me and like a game i would enjoy, i just hate david cage because he's a creep completely divorced from his talent (or lack thereof) as a game dev

i want to play the game but i super don't want to give him any money

Just watch a playthrough on YouTube there's no gameplay anyway, and you'd probably have more emotional response to somebody picking a choice you wouldn't than actually playing the game

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Detroit looks bad and I fully support making fun of it but if you actually want to have more in depth discussions of how it's a bad game and what it does badly, I think you actually have to play it unfortunately. Like you can't just write off games journalist most of the time but take their word as law when you don't want to play a game but want to keep discussing it with someone that has for some reason.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

glam rock hamhock posted:

Detroit looks bad and I fully support making fun of it but if you actually want to have more in depth discussions of how it's a bad game and what it does badly, I think you actually have to play it unfortunately. Like you can't just write off games journalist most of the time but take their word as law when you don't want to play a game but want to keep discussing it with someone that has for some reason.

thank you

In Training posted:

Just watch a playthrough on YouTube there's no gameplay anyway, and you'd probably have more emotional response to somebody picking a choice you wouldn't than actually playing the game

there is gameplay in that there is significant branching so watching a playthrough you will not see like fully 50% of the scenes

anyway Cage probably is a creep so i'm done, I'm happy with the game even if it ends badly (of course it will), I've already had a lot of fun and want to replay it and do things differently.

and all the "he's a creep so i'm not giving him money" brings me back to the "well then i can only assume you never listened to David Bowie"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

I can do whatever i want you don't control me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

thank you

there is gameplay in that there is significant branching so watching a playthrough you will not see like fully 50% of the scenes

anyway Cage probably is a creep so i'm done, I'm happy with the game even if it ends badly (of course it will), I've already had a lot of fun and want to replay it and do things differently.

and all the "he's a creep so i'm not giving him money" brings me back to the "well then i can only assume you never listened to David Bowie"

But if there's branching and you play it you would see a different 50%

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I played an hour and had fun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

I played an hour and had fun.

Illegal!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

But if there's branching and you play it you would see a different 50%

One can play a game more than once. This one even lets you start not just in any chapter, but at specific checkpoints in that chapter, to see things differently.

edit: if you want to poo poo on the game for being heavy-handed, the most heavy-handed messages in the game have to do with Parental Issues and that All Men Who Aren't Androids Are Pieces Of poo poo

precision fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the other hand, Detroit:BC is a white guy ripping off a line from the world’s most well-known black social justice leader (MLK) with no mention of him and there is no reference or acknowledgement of black slavery besides one throwaway line from a Harriet Tubman knockoff.

Press X to graffiti “I HAVE A DREAM,” but robots

• Locked thread