Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

mischief posted:

Whoops.

NASCAR mentioned last week that they were going to crack the whip on some of the rear window shenanigans...

Oh, how will Harvick manage to get to the front in just 600 miles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
From a pure racing standpoint it used to be cool because once nighttime hit someone would check out but now it's Martin Truex leading 500 miles with everyone .5 sec behind

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm at the street stocks at concord speedway and it's hilarious because nobody knows what to do on a trioval

Cookie cutter track = bad

Itty bitty baby cookie cutter track = awesome

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

From a pure racing standpoint it used to be cool because once nighttime hit someone would check out but now it's Martin Truex leading 500 miles with everyone .5 sec behind

From a technology standpoint it used to be interesting too as the extra little dribble of mileage did really make a difference in engine and drive train longevity. Now a motor 'splodin is mostly an anomaly and the 600 is just lap after lap after lap after lap of the same poo poo. I love racing and I especially enjoy going to races. I am highly unlikely to attend another Coke 600 and the race track is about an hour away from my house.

And gently caress the All Star Race while we're at it. I've been to a bunch of those and they're almost always massive race fan blue balls. I don't think that race track ever really got it's zag back after Humpy left.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The sentimentality and nostalgia I have for attending the Coke 600 from 98-02 is all that's saving it from criticism for me at this point.

The race wasn't terribly great even then but I got so drat pumped to be there and it made up some of my favorite memories as a kid and still gives me the warm and fuzzies. :3:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It’s amazing how we have three huge races on one day and two of them are so bad.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This thing hasn't stayed green for a full five lap stretch and it's on 38 already

E: lol just had a big one in the frontstretch and the guy that was running second has completed 3 caution laps with a front wheel hanging sideways off the car, just won't admit his car exploded

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 26, 2018

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ahahaha and then he was trying to pick a fight with the race director and getting banned from the series when my buddy went to turn in his transponder A+++ WOULD PIT PASS AGAIN

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

shame on an IGA posted:

This thing hasn't stayed green for a full five lap stretch and it's on 38 already

E: lol just had a big one in the frontstretch and the guy that was running second has completed 3 caution laps with a front wheel hanging sideways off the car, just won't admit his car exploded

The funny thing is Tony Kannan did this at the Indy race in Miami in 2008. His right front was pretty much hanging on, he managed to keep the car going at pace car speed (obviously not at race pace), and kept it out as long as he could so he could avoid going more laps down than he would if he went in the pits immediately. Didn't hurt that green dropped after that accident with 3 to go.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

The Kimoa Kid posted:

It’s amazing how we have three huge races on one day and two of them are so bad.

I'll be honest, I just hope nobody gets hurt at Indy. Qualification and practice has made that car look pretty sketchy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mischief posted:

I'll be honest, I just hope nobody gets hurt at Indy. Qualification and practice has made that car look pretty sketchy.

We've had a couple crashes so far that involved significant damage. Both drivers walked away.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
So where is Marcos Ambrose? His countrymen are owning Memorial Day Weekend so far. Can anybody get him to Charlotte and convince Tony Stewart to replace Harvick with him tonight?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Didn't he have some kind of mental breakdown running V8's the year after he left NASCAR?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

mischief posted:

Didn't he have some kind of mental breakdown running V8's the year after he left NASCAR?

He couldn't really come to grips with the new V8s and said he was just kinda burnt out from racing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

RIP KYLE LARSON, THE NASCAR DRIVER

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:piss:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I just noticed something. If Kyle wins tonight and grabs the title of "having won on every track", it'll only last until the Fall because there will be another track for him to win on in the Chase.

It just so happens that it'll be the exact same facility that eluded him before in a much dumber, much worse format.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 14 days!)

and kyle sighed for there were no more tracks to conquer (wrecks 60 year old man in truck series)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:barf:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

truex's 600 curbstomping was better

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Cale Yarborough nearly ran a Cup race in 1997:
https://twitter.com/nascarman_rr/status/1000834254497107974

That would've been awesome.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Pee pee. Poo Poo.

It was a bad race.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

CBJSprague24 posted:

Cale Yarborough nearly ran a Cup race in 1997:
https://twitter.com/nascarman_rr/status/1000834254497107974

That would've been awesome.

Something tells me Cale might have done well since his car was a rocket ship that year.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i almost forgot that I watched John Andretti win his first race

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

i almost forgot that I watched John Andretti win his first race

I always forget that he won an Indycar race too.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Came fairly close to winning an NHRA national event too.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I wonder why he didn't continue in Indycar. He was a decent driver.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Meet the new title, same as the old title.

Also, no, I don't think I will.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

BMB5150 posted:

Something tells me Cale might have done well since his car was a rocket ship that year.

Something tells me that being retired for ~10 years and coming out of retirement to run Talladega is bad idea.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

I wonder why he didn't continue in Indycar. He was a decent driver.

He wasn’t getting regular rides, and it turns out he was just early to jump from Indy to NASCAR ahead of the boom times.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/NASCARONFOX/status/1002597344309858306

Meanwhile, the Youth Movement of Blaney, Larson, and Elliott have combined to win like 4.

E- LOL ARCA was having trouble getting across Turn 2 there for a while. Also, Harrison Burton makes his mom cry as much as his dad did.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 2, 2018

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

That was an Xfinity race that Happened. Decent enough racing for everyone except for Kyle Busch, who hates high-downforce/low horsepower packages but runs them anyway.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Today's race has been...inoffensive I guess?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
my best buddy used to be a big fan of NASCAR, and he's told me in the past that the sport is basically about to go extinct because of lack of interest from viewers and advertisers. That it would probably be dead in the next 10 to 20 years. is that a real thing?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Low Desert Punk posted:

my best buddy used to be a big fan of NASCAR, and he's told me in the past that the sport is basically about to go extinct because of lack of interest from viewers and advertisers. That it would probably be dead in the next 10 to 20 years. is that a real thing?

If they don't shape the gently caress up yes, it's pretty possible.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

Compared to what it was 10 years ago, NASCAR tv ratings and race attendance have both dropped considerably which has of course led to sponsorship dollars leaving the sport. The Las Vegas race this year for example had 4.7 million viewers, a 35% drop from 2016 (7.2M) and and 61% drop from a decade ago (12.1M). There are a lot of reasons for this decline, and I haven't yet heard any good solutions to regain viewers. I doubt the sport will ever completely die though, and I'm starting to think maybe the spike in popularity between 10-15 years ago was more of a temporary anomaly and it will go back to being a niche sport of more dedicated followers.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I think extinction is very unlikely (especially if American open wheel survived the last 20 years), but I imagine the books look pretty bad if the Frances are looking to sell.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

NASCAR absolutely can survive, it's just a matter of whoever's running it making the right decisions.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

NASCAR absolutely can survive, it's just a matter of whoever's running it making the right decisions.

What do you think the right decisions would be though? People like to talk about aero packages and race scheduling but I'm not convinced that would be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Sex Weirdo posted:

What do you think the right decisions would be though? People like to talk about aero packages and race scheduling but I'm not convinced that would be enough.

There are a million different things to be done and any combination may or may not work, it's impossible to say what the actual solution is. Whatever it ends up being will have to take time to transition I'm sure.