Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Were you in platoon before you entered battle or did you pick them up during battle? Cause that's the only thing I can think of that might make that poo poo happen...unless it's just an odd bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Valle posted:

2: Wtf do you even mean by "Are SPGs toxic?" I've certainly seen a lot of people become toxic due to arty.

Honestly I think SPGs are a big problem in random battles at least. They promote passive play and high level arty in a 3/5/7 game is hugely unbalancing. It's not very much fun to play a slow landship when it can be deleted by +2 tier arty the second you get spotted (which is literally the second you leave cover).

I mean, I like the theory of artillery (punish campers, force people to move, support pushes) but right now it's doing the opposite: forcing people to camp out of sight, leading to frustrating "what the gently caress was I supposed to do there?" deaths with seemingly zero counter-play opportunities and so on.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

SocketWrench posted:

Nothing like typing "Gotcha bitch!" when you can drop an arty shell on someone who thought he was safe

I hate playing artillery and only force myself into it because of the dumb personal missions/grinding every loving vehicle the game has to offer, but it does have some perks. This fool was racing along at top whack before I landed this direct hit on him, leaving whatever was left to be shredded in seconds:

I wish I could have taunted him at the time with poo poo like "speeding causes accidents" just to mine some more salt.

Der Shovel posted:

Honestly I think SPGs are a big problem in random battles at least. They promote passive play and high level arty in a 3/5/7 game is hugely unbalancing. It's not very much fun to play a slow landship when it can be deleted by +2 tier arty the second you get spotted (which is literally the second you leave cover).

I mean, I like the theory of artillery (punish campers, force people to move, support pushes) but right now it's doing the opposite: forcing people to camp out of sight, leading to frustrating "what the gently caress was I supposed to do there?" deaths with seemingly zero counter-play opportunities and so on.
Maps are often too small and/or artillery range is (generally) too great, and having 2+ of the bastards only adds to the issue. Some retard can sit right at the back hammering away at wherever he wants with impunity, while everyone else has to either directly face down the enemy guns or employ that pinnacle of active gameplay; hide in a bush/behind an obstacle. Throw ~7 TD's into the mix (this is a different but related problem) and things quickly stagnate. Anyone who moves out almost immediately loving dies. Meanwhile the retard at the back still clicks away mindlessly, chipping at targets regardless of how things are actually playing out. There's very little risk for artillery players for at least 50% of any given battle, which is why it's a favourite class for the sub-50% WR windowlickers.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Remove arty from the game but give light tanks the call in arty from frontlines 2ez where ma $ WG.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

How is this not grounds for completion of LT-13?

2.2k assisted damage, 7.4k combined platoon damage, and...nothing?

Literally spotting damage. Track damage (or stun I guess) doesn't count.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

:cabot:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
wg too afraid to upset arty players by removing arty but is perfectly fine with loving over people who spend money buying premium tanks

:thunk:

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Instead of taking damage when hit by arta, you receive an all chat message from the opposing player. Boom problem solved

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

All chat should be a premium feature tied to having a premium account imo.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
All chat costs 1 gold per line!

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I'd pay. That's 1 gold a game minimum to inform everyone of my sexuality.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BadLlama posted:

I'd pay. That's 1 gold a game minimum to inform everyone of my sexuality.

This.

---------------------------------------------------------

Also, I'm not particularly upset about the proposed pref premium tank rebalance. There was a time when those vehicles were reasonably balanced, as QB mentioned in a recent video, being a little worse than tech-tree tanks but still totally playable and not game-breakingly OP. Now, they've mostly been power-creeped into ineffectiveness by newer tanks, including other premium vehicles. The IS-6 is a good example: it was playable at tier 8, and quite good against lower tiers, due to its armor and in spite of its poor gun. Now its armor is negligible in the face of vehicles like the Skorp and S1, which are highly likely to be in most matches it sees, and its gun is worthless against vehicles like the Defender or Liberte, both of which are also in most tier 8 matches. I haven't even played the IS-6 in years because there's little point in doing so.

A lot of the pref tanks, not just at tier 8, can be characterized by low penetration. The Church 3 is probably OK, but conversely the KV-220 is a perfect example of this at tier 5; at tier 8 the FCM50 and Type 59 are reasonable (especially since the former is quite similar to the CDC which has regular MM) but vehicles like the aforementioned IS-6, KV-5, 112, WZ-111, and perhaps even the Chrysler K and Mutant6 suffer against newer 8s and 9s primarily due to their lack of penetration. Improving their armament would go a long ways towards making a lot of the pref tanks competitive against higher tiers.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The IS-6 is one of the best tier 8 tanks, if you don't consider the OP tier 8 premiums and don't consider any of the tech tree tanks after the VK 100.01 which I think was first symptom of Murazor's stupidity infecting the actual tech tree tanks.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

The IS-6 is one of the best tier 8 tanks, if you don't consider the OP tier 8 premiums and don't consider any of the tech tree tanks after the VK 100.01 which I think was first symptom of Murazor's stupidity infecting the actual tech tree tanks.

So in other words, exactly what I was saying. :)

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Atomizer posted:

This.

Also, I'm not particularly upset about the proposed pref premium tank rebalance. There was a time when those vehicles were reasonably balanced, as QB mentioned in a recent video, being a little worse than tech-tree tanks but still totally playable and not game-breakingly OP. Now, they've mostly been power-creeped into ineffectiveness by newer tanks, including other premium vehicles. The IS-6 is a good example: it was playable at tier 8, and quite good against lower tiers, due to its armor and in spite of its poor gun. Now its armor is negligible in the face of vehicles like the Skorp and S1, which are highly likely to be in most matches it sees, and its gun is worthless against vehicles like the Defender or Liberte, both of which are also in most tier 8 matches. I haven't even played the IS-6 in years because there's little point in doing so.

A lot of the pref tanks, not just at tier 8, can be characterized by low penetration. The Church 3 is probably OK, but conversely the KV-220 is a perfect example of this at tier 5; at tier 8 the FCM50 and Type 59 are reasonable (especially since the former is quite similar to the CDC which has regular MM) but vehicles like the aforementioned IS-6, KV-5, 112, WZ-111, and perhaps even the Chrysler K and Mutant6 suffer against newer 8s and 9s primarily due to their lack of penetration. Improving their armament would go a long ways towards making a lot of the pref tanks competitive against higher tiers.

Comedy moment here: The mutant's pen troubles is not relegated to just the mutant. That 105 is also on the t32. So if it was given pref mm because of the gun, then the t32 got missed with the same trouble. However, I believe it got pref mm because of the armor of the sides and rear. They are paper thin and arty was able to just straight full pen you because of that large towering size you present. The front armor back when it got buffed into a pref mm was quite good (and that was before the hd remake). Good as in, I had a game where I sat at the top of north arctic region and collected a steel wall from an is7 that never could pen me. There was a maus that pushed north around (I was defending the south flank from the top of the ramp) and lived. I still outcompeted him. So I really have no idea why it got pref mm to start with and I'll be amused at anything they do to buff it such that it won't be a pref mm anymore.

That all said, the armor on that tank is junk with the other premiums around that it can see. Which is one of the things that infuriates me about the balance in the game. You used to be able to load in, look at the enemy roster and go "ok, these couple of tanks will pose trouble to me, but the others won't unless they flank." Now, just don't bother, everything either has broken armor that can't be penned expect in some special case or made of paper and cardboard. Not an in between level. Might as well play tanks that sacrifice all their armor for the biggest gun anyway.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

LRADIKAL posted:

All chat costs 1 gold per line!

i would pay that for all chat

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Comedy moment here: The mutant's pen troubles is not relegated to just the mutant. That 105 is also on the t32. So if it was given pref mm because of the gun, then the t32 got missed with the same trouble. However, I believe it got pref mm because of the armor of the sides and rear. They are paper thin and arty was able to just straight full pen you because of that large towering size you present. The front armor back when it got buffed into a pref mm was quite good (and that was before the hd remake). Good as in, I had a game where I sat at the top of north arctic region and collected a steel wall from an is7 that never could pen me. There was a maus that pushed north around (I was defending the south flank from the top of the ramp) and lived. I still outcompeted him. So I really have no idea why it got pref mm to start with and I'll be amused at anything they do to buff it such that it won't be a pref mm anymore.

That all said, the armor on that tank is junk with the other premiums around that it can see. Which is one of the things that infuriates me about the balance in the game. You used to be able to load in, look at the enemy roster and go "ok, these couple of tanks will pose trouble to me, but the others won't unless they flank." Now, just don't bother, everything either has broken armor that can't be penned expect in some special case or made of paper and cardboard. Not an in between level. Might as well play tanks that sacrifice all their armor for the biggest gun anyway.

Correct, the Mutant6, T32, and Chrysler K all have the same 105 (that the T29 gets a tier lower.) That's certainly an issue for all 3 of those tier 8 tanks, and of course the T32 similarly needs a buff to be competitive. Why play the T32 once you're through it when you could play the Patriot or T34?

Generally, like I said, low pen for the most part seemed to be the rationale for justifying a tank's pref status, with the notable exceptions of perhaps the FCM50 and maybe JT88. Top that off with a little insufficient armor (say, that Mutant6) and some stock engines (SP.) Just buff those characteristics to make them as good as tech tree tanks and be done with it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I wish I could have taunted him at the time with poo poo like "speeding causes accidents" just to mine some more salt.

Red Asphalt

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Maps are often too small and/or artillery range is (generally) too great, and having 2+ of the bastards only adds to the issue. Some retard can sit right at the back hammering away at wherever he wants with impunity, while everyone else has to either directly face down the enemy guns or employ that pinnacle of active gameplay; hide in a bush/behind an obstacle. Throw ~7 TD's into the mix (this is a different but related problem) and things quickly stagnate. Anyone who moves out almost immediately loving dies. Meanwhile the retard at the back still clicks away mindlessly, chipping at targets regardless of how things are actually playing out. There's very little risk for artillery players for at least 50% of any given battle, which is why it's a favourite class for the sub-50% WR windowlickers.

The confliction is what kills me. Arty is supposed to prevent camping, but then we have armor that is specifically designed to camp because it can't stand up to actual tanks. Then we give all the camo to lights to encourage them to camp
If they came right out and said "Arty is our way of allowing people to be assholes/troll others" I'd at least have more respect for them. Hell, the only time I play arty is when I feel like being an rear end in a top hat

Atomizer posted:

This.

T26E4 is gonna suck if it meets T10. The gun doesn't have good enough pen to take on lots of T9s as is unless RNG gives you great aim for small spots

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 25, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

T26E4 is gonna suck if it meets T10. The gun doesn't have good enough pen to take on lots of T9s as is unless RNG gives you great aim for small spots

The SP basically has the same gun as the tech tree Pershing now. The main difference between them is that the former gets armor at the expense of mobility. It's a formula that works reasonably well for other tanks that have a complementary balance at a given tier (e.g. the E2 and Thunderbolt vs. the E8 and Fury, the new RAAC Cent vs. the other tier 8 Cents.) The SP, FCM50, and the Type 59 are on a short list of pref 8s that could be pretty easily buffed to function with regular MM.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
So I've been playing a lot of tier 7 tanks over the last few weeks, grinding out the P43 ter, Ikv 90B and T-34/100, along with the occasional battle in some other tier 7 tanks I have. I basically kept track of all battles in a notepad text file because that's easy enough. I went into this with the expectation that I'd be getting more or less along the spread, so in 2-tier battles I'd be top tier 33% of the time and bottom 67%, and in 3-tier spreads with its 3/5/7 it'd be 20%/33%/47% and interestingly enough, about 110-120 battles in, this was very much the case, with little deviation from it.

But then it all went to hell. After 289 battles I'm left with the following:

Tier 6-7: 31 (50.8%)
Tier 7-8: 30 (49.2%)

Way more top tier than I should have been. Can't complain I guess but it's a bit odd. Frontline having an effect perhaps?

Tier 5-7: 46 (20.3%)
Tier 6-8: 92 (40.5%)
Tier 7-9: 89 (39.2%)

So I've basically been top tier the amount of battles I expected, but mid-tier way too often and bottom tier way too rarely. Again I'm not exactly complaining, but this is a pretty large deviation. Again I can only assume Frontline has had an effect on this, and just shy of 300 battles isn't that big a sample size, but still. A lot of the battles have been played when Frontline is in "cease-fire" as well, as I've been playing Frontline quite a bit as well, so I don't think it should've had as great an impact on the results as it seems to have had. Oh well.

In short, I guess if you've got some tier 7 tanks to get through, now's the time grind them?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I had a single battle that was all tier 7. It came in at around 250 battles. So the all-tier-7 battles exist, but are ridiculously rare!

Valle fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 25, 2018

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Correct, the Mutant6, T32, and Chrysler K all have the same 105 (that the T29 gets a tier lower.) That's certainly an issue for all 3 of those tier 8 tanks, and of course the T32 similarly needs a buff to be competitive. Why play the T32 once you're through it when you could play the Patriot or T34?

Because the T32 is a well rounded tank with bullshit turret?
The T34 is not a good comparison since it handles like poo poo, where the redeeming feature is the 400 alpha and ability to pen tier 10a.
The patriot is a T32 with worse turret and a 90?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Hellsau posted:

Literally spotting damage. Track damage (or stun I guess) doesn't count.

uuuuugh

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Oh hey the T-44-100 is up for sale again, I have passed it everytime cause $55 for a standard tier 8 medium is too much for me. Even I have standards at times for buying premiums.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BadLlama posted:

Oh hey the T-44-100 is up for sale again

Mutant Clownshoe and Somua SM over here on EU, the former sold laughably enough amidst the debacle of PMM tanks and how WG are (mis)handling them.

Speaking of which I was using the latter last night and someone called me a "Somali SM".

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Turmoilx posted:

i would pay that for all chat

Not only would I pay for that, I would pay 29 more gold so everyone else can have all chat too

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
Typical WG. gently caress something up and rather than admit you created a problem, find another reason it was hosed up and create something that will make it even worse. Frontlines has really showed me how nice single tier matches can be and anything more than +1/-1 is dumb as poo poo.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Atomizer posted:

The SP basically has the same gun as the tech tree Pershing now. The main difference between them is that the former gets armor at the expense of mobility. It's a formula that works reasonably well for other tanks that have a complementary balance at a given tier (e.g. the E2 and Thunderbolt vs. the E8 and Fury, the new RAAC Cent vs. the other tier 8 Cents.) The SP, FCM50, and the Type 59 are on a short list of pref 8s that could be pretty easily buffed to function with regular MM.

It might be, but.....

HFX posted:

Typical WG. gently caress something up and rather than admit you created a problem, find another reason it was hosed up and create something that will make it even worse. Frontlines has really showed me how nice single tier matches can be and anything more than +1/-1 is dumb as poo poo.

This is why I'm not expecting a lot

+1/-1 would really solve a lot of issues with balancing poo poo and their preferential MM issues. I understand they're worried about having enough players, but I'll bet the reason they don't have huge numbers is because people get tired of being poo poo stomped repeatedly because as bottom tier there's not a lot of impact you can have till the game is locked into a win or loss unless you are some unicum player that can carry like a motherfucker.
Giving everyone an actual chance would likely keep more people around because they aren't getting fed up with bullshit MM and lovely RNG with their M4 going against an O-Ni. I can't count the amount of times I've gone against an M4 only to have him try gold and HE in desperation while I casually run him down or derp him in the face. While it's fun as gently caress for me (and I do laugh maniacally when I do) but I'm sure most of them rage quit or go back to the garage and brace themselves for the next poo poo match

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Reminder that when Wargaming first implemented 3/5/7, there were a huge number of same-tier matches (+0/-0) because the matchmaker makes matches substantially easier and faster if it can just throw 30 same-tier vehicles into a match. Wargaming specifically reduced the chance that same-tier matches would form and increased the chance of 3/5/7, which notably increased queue times.

+0/-0 is the optimal matchmaking for players, and apparently the worst possible matchmaking for Wargaming.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Really the thing I hate about the MM is it still will toss a platoon of 3 mauses against say a platoon of 3 amx50b and it thinks everything is cool.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Reminder that when Wargaming first implemented 3/5/7, there were a huge number of same-tier matches (+0/-0) because the matchmaker makes matches substantially easier and faster if it can just throw 30 same-tier vehicles into a match. Wargaming specifically reduced the chance that same-tier matches would form and increased the chance of 3/5/7, which notably increased queue times.

+0/-0 is the optimal matchmaking for players, and apparently the worst possible matchmaking for Wargaming.

I don’t know about.
Ever since the patch games with only tier 10s have been a thing for me.
Probably helps that I play on off hours.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cardiac posted:

I don’t know about.
Ever since the patch games with only tier 10s have been a thing for me.
Probably helps that I play on off hours.

Yeah the last time I actually played was at the start of the Italian Challenge, where I timed out of a queue in the 183 after turning off Grand Battles. Maybe Frontline has helped the matchmaker, maybe they changed something, I dunno.

BadLlama posted:

Really the thing I hate about the MM is it still will toss a platoon of 3 mauses against say a platoon of 3 amx50b and it thinks everything is cool.

Can you imagine the damage a platoon of 50Bs could farm when the enemy top tiers are 3 Mausen? The 50B carries a million shells too, they could kill all 12 lower tier peons and then just farm a Maus at a time...

e: also obviously the mauses would have 45% winrate tops

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah if they were good, but with this games player base those 3 50B's would probably do a combined 1,200 damage to a tier 8 before dying.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Hellsau posted:

where I timed out of a queue in the 183 after turning off Grand Battles

not putting the 183 into a battle is a matchmaker success story

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

the final solution to the arty question is to replace them with some kind of command tank that can launch frontline style arty strikes / smoke screens / recon flights

or :gas:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

There is absolutely no purpose to an indirect fire class in World of Tanks given the current maps.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

oh come on, think of the chaos

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Cardiac posted:

Because the T32 is a well rounded tank with bullshit turret?
The T34 is not a good comparison since it handles like poo poo, where the redeeming feature is the 400 alpha and ability to pen tier 10a.
The patriot is a T32 with worse turret and a 90?

My comment that you quoted was recognizing that the T32 has suffered from power creep as well. It might've been well-balanced years ago, but it's certainly not well-rounded; it has a good turret, that's it. Hull armor, mobility, gun, nothing else is notable. The T34 at least has a big, fuckoff gun, albeit with poor handling; the Patriot has better penetration, DPM, handling, and mobility. All 3 tanks have good frontal turret armor which is where it's most needed.

Like I said, there's little desire to play the T32 after it's elite if you have any of the other US premium HTs. There's a reason you never see anyone driving the T32 for fun in random battles....

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZUu26aF3Rw

The new Tier 10 Russian heavie has a 55kph top speed and 17 horse power per tonne. Better than every tier 10 russian medium.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Obj 277 is that absurd UFO looking tank that SerB at one point said couldn't be added to the game since it couldn't possibly get nerfed down from its real life stats enough to fit, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hellsau posted:

There is absolutely no purpose to an indirect fire class in World of Tanks given the current maps.

Did you not pay attention? Arty prevents camping. WG said so.

Hellsau posted:

The Obj 277 is that absurd UFO looking tank that SerB at one point said couldn't be added to the game since it couldn't possibly get nerfed down from its real life stats enough to fit, right?

Well, when is the US line going to have a Chrysler TV-8?
Of course if you manage to ammo rack it or something it should wipe out both teams

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 26, 2018