Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
As one of my jobs I manage about five acres of mixed wood/scrubland and I'm gradually turning it into a super-low effort smallholding, and as my posts elsewhere about it went well I thought I would throw together a thread to show people what I get up to, and eventually sort a blog so I can keep track of progress better.

The land itself isn't mine, but owned by my wife's family- it was bought by my father in law around 20-25 years ago in a group buy of a much larger plot (~100 acres) that several decades before that was a farm, but after digging a pond and basic trenchwork/ fencing he abandoned it to act as a nature reserve. Not much was done with it bar occasional camping and shooting/archery for a long time, till around 4 or 5 years ago I started up cutting some pathways and it all kind of rolled on slowly from there.

The land had an apple and pear tree already, but in the harder to access northern field (almost all pics are southern field side- I should do a map) so I added my own fruit trees- two apple, two pear, two cherry, two plum so far, with more planned. There's a small walnut and a few chestnut trees too. Fruit bushes I planted are up over a dozen now- red and green gooseberry, black, white, yellow and red currants, again, with more planned- I have other bushes waiting to go in including blueberries, strawberries and raspberries. The blackberries on the brambles are incredible tasting but seedy, so very good for jam.

Working over there often requires a lot of work just to set myself up for a day's work- I don't have direct car access to the land, but I can drive down farmtrack and I have parking on neighboring land. This means everything I do still has to be carried in by hand or barrow through woodland. But mid- 2015 a friend needed rid of a caravan and with a lot of swearing and path cutting and then LOTS of swearing and drinking and ropes and hoists and planks and such for a one time pathway:

Best office ever. Was an absolute gamechanger for working down here, I can store low value tools, and if it rains or whatever I have an awesome place to chill and sort myself hot food or drinks.

The shitter is still outdoors though, but offers excellent views.

What does some work look like?

These are images from this year, but show the level of some of the growth- Once, all you see was like this. Bramble often comes up higher than my head, and various species of invasive plants and trees will take over any un-tended areas scarily fast- it's gotta be dealt with continually just to preserve the areas I have made. However:

This takes care of grass and weeds really well on the strimmer head, but with a quick switch around

This is now a death machine. It sings misery and pain. And Gwen Stefani.

Before

After.

Before I had this beautiful machine, all was misery and suffering. This patch has been cut to allow me to put in another 2 or 4 fruitbushes, then 2 olive trees will be going in where they will have some wind shelter from the north.

Tomorrow should be me putting some fencing cages around a bunch of my fruit bushes, maybe putting another 2 bushes in the ground and doing any few of the thousand small jobs. Oh, and maybe continue the hunt for Eunice, international cow of mystery. Yeah. There's a cow on the loose.

I guess the format is that I work and I take pictures and I post them and the work I did. I hope you will join me!

If you have any questions please do ask away- for now, have some wildlife!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I meant to ask this in the other thread, but what gun is that?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

DesperateDan posted:

Before

After.

How many hours of work went into clearing that patch? Also do you mind me asking what general area/region this property is in?

Looking forward to updates. Seems like a lot of work, and I do not envy someone clearing brambles.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Firos posted:

I meant to ask this in the other thread, but what gun is that?

It's a BSA Lightning II in .22, had it about 10 years, it's nicely accurate and enough to hunt mostly everything I could need to. I put a scope shroud on and a sling and it gets carried on most visits- best way to keep a gradual toll on squirrel.

Rotten Cookies posted:

How many hours of work went into clearing that patch? Also do you mind me asking what general area/region this property is in?

Looking forward to updates. Seems like a lot of work, and I do not envy someone clearing brambles.

I'm in the south east of the UK

I timed that patch from first cut at a little over 35 minutes- its reasonably flat ground and that blade will munch reasonably robust saplings once spun up, but that was going about as fast as I felt safe, and I was already set up and ready to rock.

Bramble isnt bad with the right kit and strategy- it's invasive but predictable.

Periwinkle, a pretty, mildly invasive flower bush thats no problem to cut? Well the sap it spatters you with turns to a skin dissolving chemical weapon on UV exposure. Its gotten me twice this year and I'm forming a chemical weapons company for revenge.

Field Trip!

Wave Hicks goodbye

Load up the car during a 7 stop shop and chore bonanza

Wave hello at the other cat who still won't fuss but stalks me till the treats are put down and she will check in on me a few times today. Good catte.

First up was hauling all this drat stuff in and then second was having a refreshment break. The rock will be going towards the reptile habitats, the lizard luxor and *insert witty name*.

Then I did my rounds and spent awhile dealing with some previously pollarded trees- I can use a knife to whip off fresh growth and stop it bushing up too much now and save work later.

Next up was putting some protection around 6 of my fruit bushes- 2 layers weed proof matting on the ground and wire fencing. Not too heavy duty but should be enough to prevent total wipeout while they get established, and let me train them better. The currants can also be affected by too much sun, and this will let me add shielding easily if needed.

Then I did the grape vine with the same process, but made the netting taller. By then it was getting late, so I packed up my wire cutters and such and grabbed some digging implements.

In sad news, during some very vigorous activity, my hoe just flew off the handle and needs repair, retirement and replacement with a sturdier than bought from lidl hoe.

Just two more today, the back pair of the 4. Probably both redcurrant but one may be white or black- lost track. No time for fancy fencing or weed proof sheets today, but soon.

Didn't have much time to chase pretty pictures but these kinda found me

Then it was even later and I needed to tidy up and sort things and pack up so things are shipshape for next time. By this point I was tired as all hell and making everything neat was a total chore but it pays off every goddamn time.

I did a terribly out of scale and proportion map for your amusement and I even used colouring pencils too.

Next trip is scheduled for thursday/friday, potentially both so I can have all the bushes done and get to work with some tree chopping or ditch clearance and continue prep for my lizard habitats.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 23, 2018

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Buzzards and Blue Spider Orbs

The broken paving slabs have small chunks of neutron star embedded in them, its the only way they can be that loving heavy

The lizards and snakes will love em though, so I'm gonna lug out rock each time till there's enough around.

These two bushes really needed to come out of the pots, blueberry and raspberry.

So in they went, with all the standard fittings of a MkII Fruit Bush Emplacement

Some lavender I put in a few weeks ago had the soil weathered down a bit so I used stone and compost to bring it up again. Going to use some broken up stone on it eventually.

Got a picture of one of the birds of prey circling overhead, it's a buzzard. Sounds like a very loud kitten mew/cry.

Working on an ID for the spider, the beautiful blue egg sac it was carrying was what I initially saw.

Not expecting much more than a few handfuls of fruit from the new bushes this year, may freeze them for jam.

Unfortunately after the lavender I got a call and the prospect of paid work had to take over, but I'm back tomorrow possibly doing another few bushes but I'm a bit bored with that and there are about a dozen trees I want attacked.

Planning to take the cats a little tunafishy too :)

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 23, 2018

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Had to do other work again so I didn't make it there today but got the time at home to tie up a few behind the scenes elements

The three strawberry plants are from runners from last years plant, and two will form part of the strawberry patch, the other will make a new mother plant. The others are 2 fig saplings and a blackberry variety with no thorns and few seeds. All were long overdue a repot.

I have a few old bits like shovel heads I would like to try restoring, and I'm trying my hand at carving some short handles for them to make them a bit handier for use while hole clearing on my knees e.t.c

Keeping tools nicely sharp and lubed makes me feel good inside

I sinned with this. It was my spare knife and I haven't used it in a year or so- apparently it got wet at some point and rusted the gently caress up, then I overdid the rust treatment and pitted it up more. It's a decade or so old, so it picked up some sentimental value too.

Pennance is found in the whetstone and some soreness

I did my other knives too and bits like this saw, where the mechanism was getting gunked up with sawdust.

Having planned days interrupted like this sucks, but the work done instead means chainsaw fund is now looking rosy, and a modest sized but beefy saw from stihl or husqvarna should be on the horizon.

Basement of the lizard luxor should be going in tomorrow, probably utilising child labour and cold beer.

Better than watching 5 hours of royal bloody wedding footage anyway!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 23, 2018

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I love this thread. Thank you.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Great stuff!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

VERTiG0 posted:

I love this thread. Thank you.

xcheopis posted:

Great stuff!

Thanks!

Kids wanted to go tomorrow so today I just put in a half day myself and left the lizard hotellin' for the kids to help with.

The Continuing Case of Eunice, the Mysterious Missing Cow

Checked out my plants at home and left a ferocious guardian

GODDAMN ROAD HOGS DUCKS

I give her snack. She no attack. One day we fuss, till then gain more trust.

I went for some of the larger scraps of slab today and the weight was stupid but the thermal properties should be excellent.

By then it was lunchtime

Then time to pack a combat handbag (and then go back to the caravan twice because I forgot poo poo)

4 currant bushes brought up to MkII standards, timed well/badly because it was the height of the sun and I spent a lot of time chugging water and basking in the sun.

The main entertainment was watching buzzards and crows have aerial battles, seems they really hate the poo poo out of each other. Got some lovely phonecam video that I might try and pull some gifs from, need to take a real camera.

Then I took the air rifle around and dropped two squirrel while taking pictures and basking in the sun.

Packed up and was headed out but got flagged down by one of the farmers- there's still a loose cow- Eunice, and they asked me to check out some bits over the next week or so.

Mission Accepted

Should be headed there tomorrow unless the kids drag me elsewhere but they want to do sausages on a fire so things should be set.

Otherwise, early next week I need to mow again if the weather allows and clear some fresh area again.

And more. Bloody. Heavy. Slabs.

*edit*

Kids chose to have a duvet day and I sat around reading, felt great. Tuesday I'm hunting cow, then provided weather allows me on weds/thurs I want to mow and brushcut.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 23, 2018

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Where in the World is Eunice Sandiego?

Join me down the track aways

The rock rituals were performed.

Then without delay, time to hunt down some ambulatory hamburger. Water, something to whack brambles down to stomping height, and rope. Rope. Charles Bronson's always got rope.

Spent over an hour smashing around the bits of the north field that are covered in question marks on the lovely map. It was really heavy going through pretty much all of it. No recent signs of Eunice at all, which is better than finding a swarm of flies and a sickly sweet smell.

I will be checking a few times more over the next few weeks, just in case.

Ow.

Checked in on the badger/fox sets and they have been busy excavating again

Then it was time for my roundtrip to check on the fruit

The cleared area is now sprouting much new growth, so its definitely mowing time, just have to wait and see if the weather complies.

This is Eunice, stalking me about a week or two ago. Wherever you may roam now, I hope you are mooing most happily!

Hoping to mow in the next few days, will see what the weather brings.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 23, 2018

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
This is an excellent thread.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

This is a fantastic thread and I'm jealous.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

DesperateDan posted:

GODDAMN ROAD HOGS DUCKS

We all know how this will end. You will not win this fight.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I just love that Eunice has a stealth mode. Cow ninja!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

dreesemonkey posted:

This is an excellent thread.

cakesmith handyman posted:

This is a fantastic thread and I'm jealous.

Thanks, I feel really lucky to be able to do it and wish I could do it full time.

endlessmonotony posted:

We all know how this will end. You will not win this fight.

I pick my battles carefully in accordance with sun tzu's good book and hence engaging 3 quackaz in the quattro and escaping was better than getting boxed in by more of the peckers

xcheopis posted:

I just love that Eunice has a stealth mode. Cow ninja!

I have successfully hunted her down twice now for the grazier and farmers- it was creepy as when she crouches down she doesnt present much size, but both times I got close without realising how close I was at all- then she stood and about 3/4's of a ton of cow stands quite imposing when you have seen it run so fast and the realisation you are out in the wilds with a scared and slowly going feral cow and whoa the lower parts of the brain already started up and im now clutching a tree. Fun!

Work and stuff with the family has kept me busy, but I'm down tomorrow for at very least a rock ritual and my rounds and hopefully more.

In the meantime I have done a few small bits like putting in more time carving up a handle for the shorty shovel and petting hicks lots

He's really really good at his job as a cat which involves lots of being an adorable lazy arsehole but he's also self appointed guardian and counsellor to the house and more than earns his keep.

This new hoe is a replacement planters hoe- I'm really impressed with it for the price, its beautifully weighted and sharp. Got 4 more bushes picked out on the deck for next week so it should go into action soon.

The old planters hoe head will be getting a new handle as soon as I figure out the best option. I have a few bits of oak branch that have been drying 3 years or so in the caravan and I'm hoping to carve from that.

Im no real expert on identifying wood (or ideology) but this old rolling pin is much more dense than the other I have been carving so its the new shovel handle, and I'm probably going to make a mace with the softer wood one. Next up on this is stripping and cleaning rust from the shovel head, removing the pin and finding a suitable paint. And lots of carving and fitting, which I'm finding very calmative.

Well its that and/or the weißbiers I just drank sitting in the sun. Meh. Whatever gets me there :)

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 23, 2018

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Oh Deery Me

He seemed somewhat interested in a field trip then went back to guarding the bed. Good lad.

On the road again. Squirrel abound, but I'm not packing the big iron today, otherwise texas grey over there might have met his match.

I'm pretty much ready to rock :black101: on lizard luxor now. The wood stake border things are going to be turned into raised veg beds and a strawberry patch when I get some more done/pick an area.

A deer!

About a dozen pixels of white tailed baby deer! My son hasn't seen one on our bit of land or close so I concentrated on getting him a good look than photos, but we saw it frolick and eat for a minute or so before mummy deer (unseen) snorted and it ran off. Shame I didn't bring a proper camera.

My son made a bug hotel so we chucked one up under an oak with good friend paracord, and we plan on making more along a similar design.

He wanted to chop trees, so after taking out a few oak saplings himself we went to town on cutting new pathway on the north field through oaks and dragging the branches off to dry- I like my paths shaded- less growth to cut back.

Its the worst time of year to cut labour wise due to the trees sucking water and being extra tough, but if he wants to cut its fine, and at this time of year the sun is nice and high in the sky for judging where shade should be.

We shifted a few more bricks too then set about knocking some old mortar off them. Gets old after awhile, but doing a few each trip isn't much of a chore.

I aim to clear the motherfuckin' poo poo out of this area of the north field the next time I cut.

Just a half day as it was hot and with child labour, but I got time to consider plans for what I'm doing with the north, and it involves a fuckload of digging ditches and ponds, and pounding fence posts and unravelling barbwire. Most is going to be kept as scrub/woodland but I really need to drain the land better and that water needs somewhere to go.

Aiming to be down a few times in the next week or so, get on with mowing or cutting or any one of the ten thousand jobs to do :)

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 23, 2018

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

DesperateDan posted:

Working on an ID for the spider, the beautiful blue egg sac it was carrying was what I initially saw.

Some variety of wolf spider per the wife, who likes such things.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_spider

You had me sold on gooseberries and farm cats; following.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

TheNothingNew posted:

Some variety of wolf spider per the wife, who likes such things.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_spider

You had me sold on gooseberries and farm cats; following.

Thanks- there's lots of them on my meadow and they seem really happy sunbathing on the loose stone I have around some of the bushes.

ain't 'alf hot mum

Sometimes he doesn't even claw the poo poo outta me on belly fusses.

Not Eunice but it was my birthday a few days back and I treated myself- been gradually losing weight for awhile by not doing crap like this but gently caress it, garlic butter soaked rare sirloin is a blissful experience. Eunice remains at large. One day...

Been around a week since I was last down here, and my planned few hours work turned into a quick check up and sit in the shade because I started late and oh gently caress its midday now and the sun exists. As a result of that, no loving rock haul today, but I have two slabs picked at home for a roof, will transport em soon.

Fruit of all varieties develops apace, and I'm looking forward to a mouthful of sunwarmed berries- another week or so.

With about 20 days to summer solstice, at midday this really isnt enough sun to keep the water healthy- some of these poplar gotta go asap.

Something dug on my lavender again. I peed all over the soil and will bring more next time. Of both.

And theres lots of flowers but bugs and such in less activity because only total idiots wander around at noon and exhaust themselves without doing much of anything. I did see a bee swarm over one of the swarm traps the apiarist has out but didn't get close for pics cause I was scaredy.

So what better than to climb into a oven hot caravan to investigate my electricals. Good voltage over the battery/top-up panel which only really gets used for occasional lighting/phone charging at the moment. Light is a custom rig made of the old style bright white but battery draining fluorescent and led's sold for brake lights- nice low draw and astronomy/night vision friendly red.

The foil isn't to keep the government from spying on my thoughts (they probably just read ukmt), its radiator backing panel and keeps the heat in very well when it's cold- today it was roasting till I opened the windows. I have a 12V fan ventilation and dehumidifer setup that might get installed at some point, for now I just keep a few water traps going. Many of the thousand jobs involve repairing the caravan a bit.

Really need to mow soon, all sorts emerging in the grass like the oak and bramble pictured- hopefully next week the weather will comply, otherwise the pond blockin' poplar are getting cut to size.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jun 23, 2018

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

"Is that my cow?
It goes 'purrrrr' and bites my hand!
It is a cat! That is not my cow.

"Is that my cow?
It goes 'zzzzzzz' and stings my leg a bunch!
It is a swarm of bees! That is not my cow."

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

xcheopis posted:

"Is that my cow?

"Is that my cow?

:allears:

This is a good post.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

xcheopis posted:

"Is that my cow?

"Is that my cow?

:sparkles: that's loving amazing

home, home and deranged

I was intending on a half day, but my son apparently lost two letters home and hence we didnt know school was cancelled, so today I mainly did housework while supervising maths and english work, but I got a half hour or so for some very essential maintenance.

I went way over enthusiastic to the point of blatant abuse last time I cut with this blade- hence it got dinged up heavily. The aim isn't to really sharpen much- more to straighten up the bent parts and have the cutting edge in line with itself.

With some care (like not hitting stone repeatedly with it) over a few use/maintain cycles the blade will look a lot better.

This blade is intended for long grass and will happily take out small amounts of brush too, but lacks the weight/force of the one above for heavy jobs. I also need to maintain and possibly replace some parts of the strimmer reel, but it got left up with the brushcutter.

This elderflower will be going towards some elderflower gin and some cordial. They smell amazing, even just a few heads drying stinks up the house.

Next shot is Wednesday for hopefully a full day, and right now the weather is looking good to let me cut and mow.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 23, 2018

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

mow-town records

So this is the poundland cat, he doesnt live there but operates from there when it's open. Waits at the door with staff in the morning to enter, it's so cute :3: Local celebrity, and favours the gentle and calm supplicant with a fuss.

Then it was off to pick up the brushcutter and accessories so why not check in on the chickens too. This is at my parents in law's place, a short drive from the acres. Best tasting eggs I ever had bar none- want some of my own some day.

After lugging this down here the hashbrowns and cheap beer were nectar from the gods, and they incensed me to some glory

Then I suited up extra to take on some patches of poison periwinkle by making a ninja mask out of a t shirt.

Then I took off the mask because from sweat and breath the shirt was soaked and it was like I was waterboarding myself shittily. Horrid even so, gotta dig out my headscarf for this kinda work.

Then a lot of path maintenance too.

These 4 old bush patches badly need the MkII upgrade package, I bought more supplies for that but left em in the car cause I'm a lazy bastard.

Then as I had the strimming part about 95% done I had to call it a day so I could get back in time to do the school run. I also ran out of strimmer line- went through all my field resupply bags and finished the reel I had. That meant no time today with the metal cutting blades :bahgawd: but I brought em home with me so they can get another touch of the farmers file.

It's always unpredictable how fast I run through it, sometimes it just lasts seemingly 30 minutes of careful nurture, other times the same 6-7M will last a full tank of full octane high strength guzzoline action. The spool also needs replacement, it's seen a lot of abuse and if the ridges on the centre spoke get bad enough or chip it tends to cut the wire rather than bump/spin feed as normal. Isn't happening yet but will.

Feel happy with what I got done- spent about 2 hours total mowing with about an hours worth of break/wandering time, wish I could have finished mowing the grassier bits but it's not too much of a chore to swap heads out so it can just happen next time.

It was a glorious day for it, and I'm really looking forward to knocking back the recently cleared area again, and making a new clearing on the north field. And drinking beer quietly on my comfy bench :)

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 23, 2018

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

The Lesser Liked Parts of Sam Vime's Famous Theory

Tried to get a few hours in yesterday afternoon but my worker started feeling unwell so we had to bail early after doing the rounds. We did however get 2 bags of stones, 10 metres of plastic mesh, a roll and a bit of anti-weed fabric and a bag of soil moved over, used the soil to patch over the lavender a bit, and shifted some more bricks over.

Watching the bees on these flowers was particularly fun- the bees outweigh the flower and stem probably by an order of magnitude so when they stop off for a feed, the whole flower bounces down then rebounds hard when the bee moves on so when you have a few bees visiting a patch it looks like all the flowers are doing a dance :)

Currant bushes doing well in spite of a few hairy weird caterpillar things that got flung into the bushes by my rapid bug relocation expert.

It was a nice afternoon and a shame to leave but better to keep the workers happy and healthy. Back on Sunday, weather permitting, with plans to upgrade bushes.

I have sad news too, something that grieves me to the core. After 11 years hard service, my beloved boots (hitec magnum elite II safety version, for the enthusiasts at home) have finally come to their natural end- the soles are coming away, there's a small hole in the leather at the heel and the stitching is starting to let up- and for the last year or two the waterproofing has gone. I'm going to attempt some repairs as the soles have a fair bit left, but they need to come off the frontlines indefinitely.

Got some shiny new ones on the way, if they protect and survive in comfort anything like the last set I will be really happy- I got really attached to the old ones.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 23, 2018

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I love this thread. It's wholesome and cute but it takes forever to load on my lovely computer.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Yay, bees!

Maybe get some face masks for dealing with the periwinkle? I get mine from a local hardware store and they are better than using a shirt or bandana.

Love the pictures, as always. :D

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Miftan posted:

I love this thread. It's wholesome and cute but it takes forever to load on my lovely computer.

It's okay, it takes forever to load on my shiny new computer too. None of the pics in the last post loaded at all until I refreshed. :sigh:

Lovely thread though. Just.. maybe fewer/smaller pics in the future, please? :shobon:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bees on Wheat posted:

It's okay, it takes forever to load on my shiny new computer too. None of the pics in the last post loaded at all until I refreshed. :sigh:

Lovely thread though. Just.. maybe fewer/smaller pics in the future, please? :shobon:

Just tag the thread with [56K No].

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

They load slow on my phone but I don't care. I can do something else until they finish loading and that's fine. The pictures are lovely!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bees on Wheat posted:

Yup, Chrome on mine just straight up won't load the whole page.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

It was just a personal complaint, please continue having loads of great pictures, Dan!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

xcheopis posted:

Maybe get some face masks for dealing with the periwinkle?

I have to cover my whole face because any spatter will cause burns, I have a headwrap that's much easier to breathe through somewhere.

xcheopis posted:

Love the pictures, as always. :D

Bees on Wheat posted:

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup, Chrome on mine just straight up won't load the whole page.

I had thought that keeping them as timg would help load times, but I could probably do with just a few less on the updates, and I did have some posts developing about kit/tools, hunting, history and a few other bits that will be a bit less picture intensive.

Today was heavy duty with both child labourers and much work and fun- will get an update chucked out tonight or tomorrow once I go through the pics. If a mod could chuck an image heavy warning that would be cool I guess

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

DesperateDan posted:

I had thought that keeping them as timg would help load times, but I could probably do with just a few less on the updates, and I did have some posts developing about kit/tools, hunting, history and a few other bits that will be a bit less picture intensive.

Today was heavy duty with both child labourers and much work and fun- will get an update chucked out tonight or tomorrow once I go through the pics. If a mod could chuck an image heavy warning that would be cool I guess

timg will load the whole image these days. This will cause massive slowdown. Linking to imgur albums seems to work best?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

endlessmonotony posted:

timg will load the whole image these days. This will cause massive slowdown. Linking to imgur albums seems to work best?

Yeah, I will probably adjust the image/text ratio a bit on here (especially for the rest of this page) but upload more pics to imgur and link the gallery- lets folks on older devices keep track while still letting people that want to see more supplied with pictures.

working for at the weekend

The workforce dragged in stone and compost, then sat around eating fries before doing the rounds- everything generally is doing well, two of the new fruit trees are really thirsty but should survive- will bring up some fresh water for them when I can.

There seems to be a run on bamboo hoops at the moment, I couldn't buy any more and my grand plan to upgrade all 4 remaining bushes turned into me getting the big fat blackcurrant done and then stopping. I have some other straight bamboo and could have made do, but I want all my emplacements to look the same as the good ol' MkII.

I did at least clear up the other 3 plots a bit so they didn't get entirely overgrown before I get more hoops in. I'm aiming to add another 4 fruit bushes to this area, and I can probably squish another fruit tree in too- I'm going to slice into the bramble to do so.

I neglected to get many before and after shots of the stuff the kids did, but they went above and beyond their normal kickass standards- between them they cut down around 20 various oak and poplar saplings and hauled em off to dry, collected plenty of deadfall wood, hauled nearly all the remaining bricks into position and put in a bunch of time clearing out the mini-ditchwork (pictured) of wood and soil. And they did it all with teamwork, all I had to do was tell em what needed to be done and they just went hog wild.

They really earnt their cash, and even moreso..

Cheap sausages cooked over a ragged old firepit surrounded by undergrowth, eaten on sharpened sticks! It's my secret trick to support worker morale, and the burnt bits add character. Then there was an olive pit spitting contest in which I held my title but came under serious pressure.

I sat around in the sun after that processing some of the deadfall into some general purpose firewood while quietly having a beer and letting the kids go wander and explore. I really need a better firewood storage system, as much of the wood I have been laying down in stacks to dry a little now needs processing.

They found the foxes have been going hogwild on the pigeon population- that or this is where the cats are dragging kills, but its right in the midst of the badger/fox sets- at least 4 or 5 kills in the area.

Now I have the bricks mostly in position at the field, I'm starting the LAD (lego aided design) process to get an idea of how I want my firepit/stove/thing built. I'm gonna have to recount my brick total, because looking at the pictures I seem to have more real bricks than the 68 I thought I had, and that may require me to dig through the lego box again.

What comes next is somewhat dependent on deliveries- if my boots come today and the weather is good Tuesday I'm hoping to neaten up all the mowing (I'm now in possession of 261 metres of badass looking squarecut stihl strimmercord) then cut out some brush. If not, more bush upgrades or tree chopping till the boots of doom come.

If people want to go look at my imgur gallery that has a bunch more pictures then that's cool I guess

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 23, 2018

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

vicariously vicious venison vacated vampishly at velocity, victuals vitrified, vizier visibly vexed
or, how the deer mussed up my bushes and I looked up scrabble words for v

Late start with a lot of unrelated bullshit in the morning but fuckit, I'm fed up of these ragged beta bushes just shaming me every drat time and this place soothes so lets build and heal together.

Bloody deer ran off as I made my way down but I think this damage is a day or so old by the leaves drying out. First time they have been damaged heavily by deer so I'm glad to get in and finish up some defences today.

They left me a ripe redcurrant or three which I instantly snaffled, excellent deep taste. I don't blame the deer, this shits delicious. Damaged branch brought home to attempt rooting, despite having plenty of redcurrant already.

This blackcurrant used to be a double patch of the same size, but I tripped on a cowhole while cutting a month or two back and gave one an aggressive buzzcut. Luckily it survived, and one of the two fallen branches I stuck in the ground rooted too.

The MkII isn't rigged to prevent birds or deer eating a bunch potentially, but it should stop plants from getting wiped entirely and allows easy upgrade to some bird netting if needed.

Bit of a bare lunch but I didn't feel like much- biscuits, fruit are rather moreish and strangely filling beyond mere size.

Got em all done and did the plum tree with matting and stone for good measure. Wanted to do the same for my other recent saplings- hopefully soon- I was nearly out of time and had other stuff to do.

Finished with the bricks. 126 of them in total, which has me wondering how I was so convinced I had 68. Suits me, as it lets me build my stove thingy a bit higher.

Measured up for some replacement floor for the caravan before I left too- it's another overdue job, lets call it #776. Snappy. I like a task with a number.

On my way out I had the distinct sense I was being watched to the point the theme from "predator" was on my mind

Lo, a ferocious beast!

...over here... over here...

Well I got most of the poo poo I wanted done finished, which for a half day is a pretty drat good day. Theres some little frogs swimming in the pond now too- the whole place is teeming with life. More pictures including lots of step by step stuff and flowers and a picture of my leg for some reason are all available here.

The place I ordered my boots from lied about stock so I had to go elsewhere- I can't safely cut till my feet are back in badass boots of merciless doom but they are on the way and I'm itching to go- I have another 5 or 6 plants/trees to go in still and a lot of places needing a rotating steel blade at 10k rpm.

Soon.

....anytime

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 23, 2018

schmug
May 20, 2007

Really interesting thread, but you really need to do something about your picture hosting. I know it's already been said, so i'm just reiterating. It also has nothing to do with "old" computers or however you put it. Trust me.

That said, get your poo poo together and keep posting!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I looked into different hosts but so far imgur is the only one with an android app that will let me easily churn out a url with the filename at the end that awful app will then recognise without a bunch of loving around for each picture.

I guess I can use my desktop with flickr or google drive from now on but it means updates will be less frequent. It's annoying but if a bunch of people can't see the pictures there's not much point in me posting them. Moreso annoying is that imgur works fine for me on every device I have tried this thread/the imgur galleries on- I guess its an isp thing.

New boots arrived, should be down there at the weekend with one or both the workers then everything is in place to cut and mow next week. Update when I can I suppose.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I see you're in the UK, looks like that rifle has a suppressor?

That's pretty sweet, I want to get silencers for my .22s; my neighbors don't care, but my tinnitus does.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I see you're in the UK, looks like that rifle has a suppressor?

That's pretty sweet, I want to get silencers for my .22s; my neighbors don't care, but my tinnitus does.

It does indeed, there's no real regulation on suppressors here at all and they are really useful. Its an air rifle with slightly less than 12ft-lbs/16 joules of energy so I don't have to bother with any licencing for it at the moment, if licensing were brought in for air rifles of that power I would consider moving up to a shotgun- but for the ranges I normally work in and for my quarry an air rifle does the job really well.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Dohe, a deer, four female deer

These are from the garden at home, but the strawbs are gonna be planted up this year in my strawb patch. When I make the strawb patch. Like the idea of some sunflowers too, they are pretty and the seeds, roasted and salted, are loving ace.

Off tae the farm again. An emotional ceremony takes place.

You. *sniff* You stand relieved. *sniff* You beautiful bastards. *blows into handkerchief* Rest easy now. Your job is done. *sobs* I will carry you into Valhalla myself!

Not much time at all today, and I didn't make it down here at the weekend, but had an hour or two between other bits. Time for the rounds.

Gooseberries. Not quite ripe, but the birds are taking a toll on them so I plucked these a bit early just to guarantee some. Bit bitter still, but full of flavour.

I wish I had kept better track of which currants were which variety, but these blackcurrants are naturally tart/sharp and more for jam, while it's neighbor has a much sweeter ripe berry, with not so much flavour.

The grape vine is loving having somewhere to latch onto- not expecting fruit this year but hopeful for next year. It will benefit from a bit more light too- more trees marked for doom.

Hopeful for at least one surviving pear and apple from my new trees this time around.

Probably gonna lose these cherries to birbs unless I get down pronto with some more netting. I swear I had 2 or 3 packs lurking, and will obviously find them as soon as new stuff is bought.

I didn't really intend on doing anything approaching actual work, but this lavender has really been hosed over hard by deer, so rather than surrender it, I padded out the soil, put down weed proof sheeting and covered it with rocks.

Dig on that, ya hoofed bastards! please don't

It's annoyingly scrappy, but it will do for now and I can tidy it up a bit later. Will add more large rocks on top to make for a small habitat for... things. Maybe.

Really nice day to pop down and wander about, wish I had more time but I always feel that way. Saw at least 4 deer, a grass snake, various frogs and found some reasonably fresh cowshit, so I guess the hunt for Eunice is back on too.

Tomorrow I'm at a vaguely work related conference/exhibition thing, mainly to grab any free swag (mugs, pens, t-shirts etc) because I'm a total cheapskate (apart from boots and tools)- will take any relevant pics. Hosting the images on flickr now, so feel free to whinge about that if it's causing issues- I don't mind finding something else hostwise or changing how I do things. Still planning on a good cut and mow next time- weather looks good towards the end of the week and so does my schedule.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I apparently have cows. As in at least 3. Wasn't planning a trip today but it seems the bovine comedy continues and I'm gonna have to pop down after work and see if they moooved on