Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It'd probably seem pretty appealing until you found out how horrible it is to work there. Just watching, you'd be like, wow I could write better than this in my sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

If they get Cornette for All In, I'd laugh and laugh and laugh.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/aiwrestling/status/996473778153680899

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

VJeff posted:

It'd probably seem pretty appealing until you found out how horrible it is to work there. Just watching, you'd be like, wow I could write better than this in my sleep.

The first wrestling buddy I ever made on the internet (much) later got a job in the WWE's web content department and wound up working in creative, which he described as exactly as difficult and unpleasant as you have heard.

Except Stephanie. Only had good experiences with her, oddly enough.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
THE OILDOME!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/JerryJarrett/status/1000077490398859264

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

I'm imagining Jerry Jarrett saying this in an interview in his boring rear end tone of voice.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CarlCX posted:

The first wrestling buddy I ever made on the internet (much) later got a job in the WWE's web content department and wound up working in creative, which he described as exactly as difficult and unpleasant as you have heard.

I had a friend who was a writer there for a while as well. I can't remember if he mentioned anything crazy happening, but I guess he (and maybe someone else) came up with the idea of doing the Regal spotlight promo. He also got to be one of the photographers during MNM's entrance and completely fell on his rear end.

I almost interviewed for a job in their web department like 6 years ago but then they restructured the department and didn't need to hire anyone. Was never sure it I would have actually taken the job over the remote, work-at-home web dev job I was at then/am still at. As much fun as it COULD be, it could also be 900 kinds of awful.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

CarlCX posted:

Let us never forget Stephanie fired Patrice O'Neal because he no-showed a writers meeting to do a stand-up gig. She fired him, he didn't seem upset about it, so she called him back three more times to fire him again and again.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Why is Jerry Jarrett drunkenly writing Jim Cornette and Hillary Clinton erotic fan fiction exactly. What universe is this

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The one thing MRT's podcast has never successfully answered: What the gently caress is wrong with you, Jerry Jarrett?

In The Bushes
Mar 4, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Why is Jerry Jarrett drunkenly writing Jim Cornette and Hillary Clinton erotic fan fiction exactly. What universe is this

Who isn’t writing HRC/Cornette (Hillorny, to the fandom)????

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

God Jerry Jarrett's picture is the most Grandpa on Facebook thing ever

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

fart blood posted:

Let us never forget Stephanie fired Patrice O'Neal because he no-showed a writers meeting to do a stand-up gig. She fired him, he didn't seem upset about it, so she called him back three more times to fire him again and again.

Whilst I know it is the accepted story, (and also the funny one), to assume Stephanie called him back to fire him again and again because he wasn't as upset as she would like.

I would posit another reason that she called him back several times. Bog standard corporate ineptitude. So he gets fired the first time, but nobody puts through the right paperwork, so then they have to fire him again, but this time the decree to fire him comes from several departments, so after each memo she gets she rings him up to fire him. Resulting in several phone calls.

"Hey Patrice, this is the WWE. Just to let you know that you are fired."
"Yeah, you have called twice already."
"Oh. I'll have a word to HR about that."

Goes to HR, they send a memo to her that says Mr. O'Neal doesn't work for them. Stephanie, being the idiot she is, rings him up again to tell him that he no longer works for the WWE. Rinse and repeat.

I know it is the WWE, a petty and horrible place, but I always try to never ascribe to malice, what can more easily be put down to incompetence.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

I know it is the WWE, a petty and horrible place, but I always try to never ascribe to malice, what can more easily be put down to incompetence.

That's a good way to live life, but I prefer to never accept an unfunny explanation when a funny explanation is available.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/jessamynduke/status/999075710076628992

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Whilst I know it is the accepted story, (and also the funny one), to assume Stephanie called him back to fire him again and again because he wasn't as upset as she would like.

I would posit another reason that she called him back several times. Bog standard corporate ineptitude. So he gets fired the first time, but nobody puts through the right paperwork, so then they have to fire him again, but this time the decree to fire him comes from several departments, so after each memo she gets she rings him up to fire him. Resulting in several phone calls.

Goes to HR, they send a memo to her that says Mr. O'Neal doesn't work for them. Stephanie, being the idiot she is, rings him up again to tell him that he no longer works for the WWE. Rinse and repeat.

Aye, but no

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

In The Bushes posted:

Who isn’t writing HRC/Cornette (Hillorny, to the fandom)????

:eng101: Cornary

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Are you not familiar with how petty the McMahons are?

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

It is quite literally easier to ascribe this (and many instances of this type of thing in politics that people will use this platitude on) to malice than incompetence. It is more likely that Stephanie McMahon (a high powered business woman) is malicious than it is that she, as a multimillionaire who has an extremely hands on and active role at work, is a moron.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I think, mostly, that phrase is used to excuse or pardon malicious people in power by saying oh, don't worry, they're just as dumb as anyone else. but they're not. they very intentionally stack the deck to make themselves more informed and take more advantageous positions. People are petty and malicious in arbitrarily small ways, over the way others glance at them, or use shared resources, or post online, and suddenly it's ridiculous to believe that a CEO, or a judge, or the president, or whoever is malicious for selfish reasons?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Your Parents posted:

as a multimillionaire who has an extremely hands on and active role at work, is a moron.

Yes, because she accumulated that wealth through decades of hard work and clever strategy. She was born into the family business that just happened to be less dumb than all of its competitors, I don't see anything indicating she would be an in-demand "Chief Brand Officer" on the free market.

Perhaps she's incompetent *and* mean?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Except Patrice himself literally said Steph repeatedly called him because she informed him the first time and he said it wasn't that big of a deal and he'd have no issue bouncing back, and she was clearly trying to get back at him

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/tdonst/status/1000377447349669894

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Those are the dullest, least threatening fangs I've ever seen.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Phenix Rising posted:

Those are the dullest, least threatening fangs I've ever seen.

they look like pieces of macaroni stuck in his teeth

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I knew Shawn was hanging around backstage at NXT but I had no idea he was so involved.

https://twitter.com/BulletClubItal/status/1000401492157837312

Good for him.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

MrBling posted:

I knew Shawn was hanging around backstage at NXT but I had no idea he was so involved.

Good for him.

I wonder if this is basically all they had, instead of a full script like Raw and Smackdown have. If so, cool. I dig that. I like how Jim Cornette would show the format sheets from old shows and they wouldn’t even show the times or the winners just in case it got in the wrong hands.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

MrBling posted:

Good for him.

HHH helped produced the two 5-star matches on the card :c00l:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

MrBling posted:

Good for him.

Adam Cole is not to be shown in a too much weak position.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Adam Cole is not to be shown in a too much weak position.

The thing that's great about that is he will absolutely not have that directive when he's called up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

fart blood posted:

The thing that's great about that is he will absolutely not have that directive when he's called up.

*Vince sees Cole backstage*

"Oh, we're doing a midget angle with the new kid already? Hahaha, I love those!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stephanie is probably that petty, but Patrice was also a massive bullshitter so who knows.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

Stephanie is probably that petty, but Patrice was also a massive bullshitter so who knows.

I refuse to believe his Tiger Ali Singh story is bullshit good sir or madam :colbert:

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MrBling posted:

Good for him.

What was this? Deleted now.

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
It was a (fake*) running order for takeover New Orleans.

* wrong date

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

there was a small series of photos taken of various wrestlers backstage before a raw leading up to mania 30 for a dot com piece and in stephanie's office they had the royal rumble poster hanging with a blank post-it covering cm punk's face. do not doubt the pettiness of the people running this company.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaz-L posted:

*Vince sees Cole backstage*

"Oh, we're doing a midget angle with the new kid already? Hahaha, I love those!"

Vince sees Cole, assumes it's 1996 again and just gives "HBK" whatever he asks for, and gives the wrestlers freedom to express themselves creatively because he's worried about WCW running him out of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Vince sees Cole, assumes it's 1996 again and just gives "HBK" whatever he asks for, and gives the wrestlers freedom to express themselves creatively because he's worried about WCW running him out of business.

I'd love to see Adam Cole break the chain of NXT stalwarts coming up to the main shows and just sorta meandering around the upper midcard. Supposedly HHH is crazy high on him.