Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So is the Qi'ra/Solo thing a hook for part 2, Boba Fett the movie or Obi-wan the movie? Seems like it could fit into any of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I ended up enjoying it a lot. It was an amusing way to spend a couple of hours. It's almost a shame it'll probably flop. :v:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think my favorite detail about this is how yeah, he does make the kessel run fast enough to get them to their destination alive, but even right after the fact Chewie scoffs at him for lying about how fast they did it and he's not even saying he did it in under 12 parsecs (he admits to Chewie that it was done in 12 if you round down a bit) like he does in A New Hope and on top of that they only did it because they put LadyTron's brain into the Falcon's computer. So they managed to have him both make the kessel run in an exceptional way while still being completely full of poo poo when he's telling Luke and Obi-Wan about it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Do they even explain why he uses parsec

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

Do they even explain why he uses parsec

They are saving that one for the Solo prequel.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
it will be in the comic book miniseries leading up to the Solo prequel

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Lando had a lot of capes.

A LOT of capes.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Twenty years from now : “Solo? That’s the one with the cape closet, right?”

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

eyebeem posted:

Twenty years from now : “Solo? That’s the one with the cape closet, right?”

20 years from now people will remember Solo in the same way we remember the Ewok movies today.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

20 years from now, we’ll all be digitized into the Disney HoloNet and we will live out all our spookiest and skerriest Star Wars fantasies, like getting shitfaced with Sebulba and getting badmouthed by Captain Needa.

And taking a spin class with Boss Nass.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The movie Se7en, but with Star Wars characters.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mezzanine posted:

Vibro-(knives, axes, etc) have been a thing for a long time in SW lore, just not on film. I assumed that's what they were. Like, a step down from lightsabers but better than plain old sharp-bladed stuff because it can cut through metal or armor or whatever.

cortosis weave can block lightsabers. why does no one use this? unknown.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The thing that just donned on me, with the announcement of the Fett movie and what the Solo movie is, is that these lovely origin stories get greenlit so quickly is like - the movie is already half-written. Like in the case of Solo:

-How did he get the Falcon
-How did he meet Chewie
-How did he get his name
-How did he get his iconic blaster
-How did he meet Lando

Like that's already a handful of plot beats to thread, half the work is done for you already. The same poo poo is going to happen with Solo and it's going to be loving embarrassing.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Guaranteed a Lando movie would be centered around explaining the manuever he did at the battle of Tanaab.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

My coworker was bitching about how this movie throws away Canon, but Emilia says her hand to hand combat is Teras Kasi and the card game they play is Pazaak. So basically video games trump other EU.

That poo poo was hilarious to me because the movie gave a middle finger to EU lore fans while telling them "oh, we know. We're well aware of very subtle poo poo. We'll include obscure poo poo when convenient but gently caress your real complaints."

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

thrawn527 posted:

I think this is just going to end up being a one and done cameo, leaving most viewers really confused and put off. Such an odd decision.
I was one of those viewers until my fiancée pointed out that it was likely a backdoor setup for an Obi-Wan movie.

I liked it a lot. Covered pretty much everything I wanted but was surprised it was the first movie with no 3PO or R2. Seems like the only common thread connecting all Star Wars movies is a lightsaber.

Lost my poo poo at the reference to Teras Kasi :lol:

Hazo fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 26, 2018

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

thrawn527 posted:

I have heard a lot of bullshit complaints about TFA, but I have never heard anyone mention this one, even in passing. Who was mad about that? Is this really a thing you've seen a bunch of people bitching about?

people were like "yea 5 habitable planets in one system... sure that's possible :jerkbag:"

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

galagazombie posted:

It's also part of the whole problem with these endless origin movies where literally everything Character X related from the original happened over this one weekend. Did we need to know the exiting origin of the Falcons GPS? It also leads to a problem I have that I don't really have a word or phrase to describe, but essentially it's "everything is important". the Falcon can't just have a wonky computer like everything else on the ship is wonky, It has to be the end result of some character arc and have "significance". Han can't just be calling the Falcon "baby" like people call their cars, no it's because now the ship is literally a girl robot. It makes the movie feel, I don't know, unreal?, ungrounded?, inhuman? Every line of dialogue from the original is taken so incredibly literally it's like the writers don't understand english.
in the EU, the falcon's computer was made up of multiple droid brains, so i thought it was a nice touch

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This movie was annoying. Darth Maul grabbing a random lightsaber was too much.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Vinylshadow posted:

MAX REBO: A Star Wars Story
Coming 2035

JIZZ: A Star Wars Story

I enjoyed Solo quite a bit, which I’m happy to see considering the chaos in the production.

I was definitely NOT happy to see Darth Letdown at the end. Just once can we get through a Star Wars movie without force Jedis and Sith Sabers?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This was a fan film, right down to the most nerdy obscure references to the series. I’m so glad they referenced the lovely ps1 game and the sea monsters from the phantom menace instead of giving Thandie Newton more to do.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

CelticPredator posted:

This was a fan film, right down to the most nerdy obscure references to the series. I’m so glad they referenced the lovely ps1 game and the sea monsters from the phantom menace instead of giving Thandie Newton more to do.

Every Star Wars film since The Clone Wars (2008) has been a fan film. TFA and TLJ were both directed by well known fans of the series at least. Ron Howard could loving hate Star Wars for all I know.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Clint Howard now has Star Wars and Star Trucks credits.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And also a goon baby...or goon known baby. I want the rest of that story.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Robot Style posted:

Guaranteed a Lando movie would be centered around explaining the manuever he did at the battle of Tanaab.

It's a two and a half hour clothing commercial focusing primarily on half-capes and a tour through Lando's latest pad, and at the end of the film, the Empire comes in and busts up the place, so Lando is forced to flee to some Tibanna mining platform

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
saw Solo. It was...fine? I'll probably need to watch it again/let things sink in. Darth Maul was the stupidest cameo ever, I knew he was around in some of the TV stuff but what is the point of bringing him back in the movies? He was lame as hell, has like 6 words of dialogue, and got cut in half. Note: not defending Episode I, just saying that for this movie, which already had a lot of fanservice, it was still pretty stupid, they could have used some rando and the scene's impact wouldn't have changed.

Thought DongLover was great as Lando, I was expecting a lot worse from the actor who played Han so I was pleasantly surprised there, and Emilia Clarke was about what I expected: :shrug:.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Do you think Leet screams internally every time a laser blast hits the falcon?

Was she trying to get back to Lando when she recommend going to Cloud City?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Darth Maul? Really? The gently caress was that?

That was the dumbest poo poo in an otherwise by the numbers fanservice okay movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish it was Serenity 2

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Y'all hating on the Maul stuff, but goddamn, when the slow version of Duel of the Fates plays as he talks to Qi'ra, that poo poo is rad and I don't care who loving knows it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Y'all hating on the Maul stuff, but goddamn, when the slow version of Duel of the Fates plays as he talks to Qi'ra, that poo poo is rad and I don't care who loving knows it.

It fuckin' owned and I stayed out of this thread til I saw the movie yesterday and thought it was great just because there was 100% no way in hell I was going to expect that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Disney, please commission an 8 part series by Ken Burns on the history of Jizz music

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
there's probably a good story to be told in those power converters at toschii station. what's their motivation? what side-character's obscure history are they involved in? can we make a plushy version and sell it to kids?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pretty impressive the speed at which Disney has run this franchise into the ground, but maybe people will eventually, mercifully get sick of all those star wars.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neo Rasa posted:

It fuckin' owned and I stayed out of this thread til I saw the movie yesterday and thought it was great just because there was 100% no way in hell I was going to expect that.

Real talk, the problem is the scene gets ruined when Maul has to grab a lightsaber, turn it on and pose with it. I was expecting the dude to do a flip at the end of the projection just to make sure we all know who it was.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

s.i.r.e. posted:

Real talk, the problem is the scene gets ruined when Maul has to grab a lightsaber, turn it on and pose with it. I was expecting the dude to do a flip at the end of the projection just to make sure we all know who it was.

Yeah, i mean the appearence in the first place was self-indulgent and dumb but that just made it even worse. The last 30 minutes of the movie were very.. bad and self-indulgent in the first place. The character beats made no sense and it feels like someone wanted to alter some things for another movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

Disney, please commission an 8 part series by Ken Burns on the history of Jizz music

And listen to kloo horn player Wyn'ton Marzal'iz pontificating about how everything sucked except the Max Rebo Band? No thanks.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Neo Rasa posted:

would you have liked it more then if it was kylo ren and not maul

'i liked it because it was nothing i could expect' is so dumb

exquisite tea posted:

Pretty impressive the speed at which Disney has run this franchise into the ground, but maybe people will eventually, mercifully get sick of all those star wars.

imagine if you had've said to people, hey, this is how the disney-era star wars is going to go. no one would believe you. you'd probably have been banned from any and all star wars discussions.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Milky Moor posted:

would you have liked it more then if it was kylo ren and not maul

'i liked it because it was nothing i could expect' is so dumb

same, unexpected but cool would've been the lead marauder being saw gerrera- hell, they looked like saw's crew anyway, and the plot beat was basically that anyway, i woulda bought that

probably too expensive to get him i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
i want to see if they find a way to bring dooku back. like maybe some clone trooper packed his head on ice and later on someone attached it to a wookie's body. and then wookie-dooku will show up in the lobot movie, coming to theatres in 2022