Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Skyward Sword was good, and could have been great if they turned down Fi's advice. She's the most obnoxious of all the guide characters because she'll repeat things you just found out, and basically explain how to solve puzzles without you ever asking.

A remake with a hard mode where she provided minimal advice and direction would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ciaphas posted:

More realpost, I'm thinking of giving Xenoblade Chronicles 2 another go. Not sure whether to start over or not, probably not if there's a good story log; I think I was at about act 5 or 6.

Anyway, what'd the consensus end up being on that? Does it end up being as grindy as it started to feel for me right about then?

It's good. Especially because it seems like every other week they drop a patch making it slightly nicer to play.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I dunno how you port SS without having to significantly rework it to play without motionplus.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Motto posted:

I dunno how you port SS without having to significantly rework it to play without motionplus.

The JoyCons have that, it's just only been used for things like Gyro Aiming in Splatoon and 1-2-Switch's actions so far.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I liked SS a lot more than most people, but I also played it in like 3 or 4 sittings and had very minimal retreading of Fi's "That Is A Blue. Rupee. It is worth. Five. Rupees." explanations, and didn't have difficulty with the motion controls (why did people think they needed to wind up). I'd 100% be in on an HD remake and see if people warmed up to what I've seen as an unappreciated Zelda game.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tayter Swift posted:

So are N++'s servers already trashed

Online leaderboards and replays seem totally borked, yeah.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I'd love a SS remake since it's the only Zelda I don't own currently

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Infinitum posted:

(Yes there are seperate Console and Handheld dev teams for Zelda) comes up with for the Switch

So.....which one made botw since it’s both a console and portable?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So.....which one made botw since it’s both a console and portable?

It was a Wii U game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah the joycons are more accurate than motion plus

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
A new 2D Zelda in the vein of ALBW would be incredible

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It was a Wii U game.

Then they need to fire the handheld team. The console team is now immortal.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Friendship ended with handheld team.

Console team is new best friend

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hoping the new Switch main series Fire Emblem has a trailer at E3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8AJBlmLMZM

Hoping every game they announced last year has a trailer this year tbh

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Will this year's E3 feature self-aware gamer cringe

Stay tuned

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nephzinho posted:

I liked SS a lot more than most people, but I also played it in like 3 or 4 sittings and had very minimal retreading of Fi's "That Is A Blue. Rupee. It is worth. Five. Rupees." explanations, and didn't have difficulty with the motion controls (why did people think they needed to wind up). I'd 100% be in on an HD remake and see if people warmed up to what I've seen as an unappreciated Zelda game.

The problem with making a remaster of Skyward Sword... palatable, for lack of a better term, to the fanbase at-large is you'd have to make changes a lot more in-depth than a faster sail and lowering map-deciphering prices.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They eliminated the rupee messages in TP, and that's the level of modification (on similar messages and Fi stuff) you'd need for SS to be fine. It'd still have issues as a game, but I'm not asking for a reimagining or anything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Motto posted:

They eliminated the rupee messages in TP, and that's the level of modification (on similar messages and Fi stuff) you'd need for SS to be fine. It'd still have issues as a game, but I'm not asking for a reimagining or anything.

Those issues are exactly what I'm talking about though. You gotta get the fanbase onboard for wanting to actually play your remaster, and that doesn't fly when they've already played the original and know exactly what's wrong with it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:shrug: TP and WW are very flawed games too, and online hyperbole doesn't reflect how a game would do in reality, especially with big series like Zelda. I personally won't ever pick up TP HD since I've found that game too bloated to go back to again, but that doesn't mean it was a bad idea to make.

Motto fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 26, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Those issues are exactly what I'm talking about though. You gotta get the fanbase onboard for wanting to actually play your remaster, and that doesn't fly when they've already played the original and know exactly what's wrong with it.

Outside of weird insular internet chambers, Skyward Sword was a well reviewed and selling Zelda game

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The more you guys talk about Zelda games the more convinced I am that Breath of the Wild was the first good Zelda game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

The more you guys talk about Zelda games the more convinced I am that Breath of the Wild was the first good Zelda game

Once a franchise gets big enough every entry is the worst in the series.

Except Spirit Tracks. gently caress Spirit Tracks.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

all zelda games are good

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

holy poo poo, ALBW is five years old

Spellman
May 31, 2011

All Zelda games are Zelda games, except Zelda 2

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Soooo... Runner 3 verdict?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Strawberry Panda posted:

Soooo... Runner 3 verdict?

I like what I played, same poo poo

The music is good, and it's a comfy game

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Spellman posted:

Will this year's E3 feature self-aware gamer cringe

Stay tuned

Yeah that's why Nintendo learnt their lesson.

Release a 20-30min Direct, announce all your games using prerecorded video so you have 0 technical difficulties or bland presenters, and then do all the talking during Treehouse.
(Then randomly announce more games during Treehouse after everyone has tuned out)

Barudak posted:

Except Spirit Tracks. gently caress Spirit Tracks.

Spirit Tracks was alright... Not great, but not bad either.
I want both DS games ported to the Switch at some point because they are pretty decent all up.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Spirit Tracks was alright... Not great, but not bad either.
I want both DS games ported to the Switch at some point because they are pretty decent all up.

As long as they get rid of anything that involves blowing into my system to play a digital flute or whatever. gently caress that poo poo.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Motto posted:

:shrug: TP and WW are very flawed games too, and online hyperbole doesn't reflect how a game would do in reality, especially with big series like Zelda. I personally won't ever pick up TP HD since I've found that game too bloated to go back to again, but that doesn't mean it was a bad idea to make.

Please don't talk about God's perfect game, WW, in the same sentence as the abomination that is TP.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I can't believe we're getting two different Koopas, Dry Bones, and Dry Bowser but no mention of Shiverians and Tostarenans.

I want to be a round seal boy bouncing around the court. :(

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

Please don't talk about God's perfect game, WW, in the same sentence as the abomination that is TP.

Well that's a little much

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
The only reason I don't regret wasting my time on A Link Between Worlds is that the amount of time wasted was so small because I knocked that thing out in like an afternoon. Glad I was just borrowing it from a friend.

That's my hot Zelda take. BotW is good and real.

Edit: I haven't played skyward sword but I heard is was bad like babby's first Zelda game.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I'm glad Shy Guys are called Heyhos in Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asWQGCMngfU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

every Zelda besides maybe 2 and MM is designed to be babby's potential first videogame

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

The only reason I don't regret wasting my time on A Link Between Worlds is that the amount of time wasted was so small because I knocked that thing out in like an afternoon. Glad I was just borrowing it from a friend.

That's my hot Zelda take. BotW is good and real.

Edit: I haven't played skyward sword but I heard is was bad like babby's first Zelda game.

Link between worlds is around the same length as other top-down Zeldas

Andrast fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 26, 2018

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Spellman posted:

Well that's a little much

WW being the best 3D Zelda game is the hill I have chosen to die on (not that its a particularly hot take).

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

everybody loves links awakening!

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
BotW 2: The Minnish Cap. Tiny Link can climb on apples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I still wish we had a Zelda Maker game.

• Locked thread