Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Bloody Pom posted:

FTB Continuum is by far the most robust mod I've played that uses quest-guided progression, but EFab can gently caress right off. Who thought making the Smeltery Controller take at least 7.5 minutes to craft was a good idea?

poo poo like that is why I leave cheats on and switch to Creative to skip the tedium.

There was someone arguing pretty passionately about how crafting that takes multiple minutes per individual thing is fine because crops take a while to grow and you don't mind waiting for those, do you?

They were, surprisingly, won over by the fact that 'put ingredients into a crafting grid, wait several minutes to pull the result out' with nothing interesting about it is thematically boring and poo poo, though.

It makes me think of Astral Sorcery. Whenever you craft stuff with the Luminous Crafting Table and its upgrades, it's this big event. There's a lightshow, it sings at you, it's all very magical and fancy and poo poo and because of that you can forgive it for taking most of a night to complete the craft. What's more, if you have the ingredients on the crafting grid to make multiple outputs it'll craft as many at once as its starlight power level allows at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Well lucky for y’all McJty literally just tweeted about how Continuum v1.1.0 changes the smeltery to take 10 minutes, reducible to 2.5 with 4 gearboxes. I haven’t played it so maybe I’m talking out of my rear end, but I think timed crafting makes sense as a source of that “I’m making progress” feeling. You invest more work in gearboxes and viola, you can make stuff faster. Not gonna argue that 30 minutes is pretty ridiculous though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Exoria Status: i have made some important discoveries

Discovery #1: Fairies can be carried with Carry On

Discovery #2: A mob slaughterhouse will extract liquid meat and pink slime from fairies, but never kill them.

Discovery #3: Trapdoors make excellent Fairy Insertion Ports.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I thought we banned the fairy torture guy

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol jesus christ

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

in my defense, fairies are noisy assholes

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

also lol if you don't feed yourself with a comically large syringe filled with liquid fairy meat

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Exoria Status: i have made some important discoveries

Discovery #1: Fairies can be carried with Carry On

Discovery #2: A mob slaughterhouse will extract liquid meat and pink slime from fairies, but never kill them.

Discovery #3: Trapdoors make excellent Fairy Insertion Ports.

Okay so maybe I'm giving Exoria another shot.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's hauntingly adorable how you can grab the fairy and carry them around looking all like LOOK AT WHAT I FOUND

and then

you know

weird slime and meat chamber

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

runchild posted:

Well lucky for y’all McJty literally just tweeted about how Continuum v1.1.0 changes the smeltery to take 10 minutes, reducible to 2.5 with 4 gearboxes. I haven’t played it so maybe I’m talking out of my rear end, but I think timed crafting makes sense as a source of that “I’m making progress” feeling. You invest more work in gearboxes and viola, you can make stuff faster. Not gonna argue that 30 minutes is pretty ridiculous though.

I feel like the one of the main issues, besides it originally being 30 minutes, is that you can't really progress on any other quests without the controller. Also getting 4 gearboxes takes a ton of iron and unless you're really lucky on finding iron odds are it would take less time to get it crafted with 1 gearbox than finding iron for 4 gearboxes and then starting the craft.

Honestly efab just feels bad to use, it is a bunch of blocks that don't require being put in any specific order, so it could really be just one block with the additional poo poo going into upgrade slots. Also when you get RF power stuff to it you can make the electronic chips, except the empowerer is still better being used. I can easily automate the empowerer with hoppers and not have to make yet another ingredient (4 wires) that the efab wants. The efabs only feature seems to be to introduce even more time based tedium.

Also gently caress people that thing the efab is the same as crops, most crops can be grown instantly with bone meal and crops don't tend to be things you need to progress. Soaryn called it FTB: Tedium for one of his stream titles and I have to agree with that.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Bloody Pom posted:

FTB Continuum is by far the most robust mod I've played that uses quest-guided progression, but EFab can gently caress right off. Who thought making the Smeltery Controller take at least 7.5 minutes to craft was a good idea?

poo poo like that is why I leave cheats on and switch to Creative to skip the tedium.

Efab doesn't even have its own recipes out of the box, so that was 100% on the fault of the FTB team that made the pack and built those recipes. Short answer: someone who thought Gregtech was the best thing ever, I guess!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
What's the difference between YABBA and Storage Drawers? In Exoria, specifically.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

What's the difference between YABBA and Storage Drawers? In Exoria, specifically.

The item barrels can hold 64 stacks of an item by default, and a drawer only 32. They're both upgradable but I don't know about YABBA's upgrades personally.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
EXORIA QUESTIONS

Is there a way to make the smelting crucible heat faster, because smelting iron is a loving awful chore.
When do I get any payoff from all this sieve automation, because apart from coal dust I'm not sure I can use any of these materials.
What quests are high priority to beat? I've got a lot of paths open now, like bees, diamonds, condensing crystals and some Roots2 stuff, and I need lots of metal for all of them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Elswyyr posted:

EXORIA QUESTIONS

Is there a way to make the smelting crucible heat faster, because smelting iron is a loving awful chore.
When do I get any payoff from all this sieve automation, because apart from coal dust I'm not sure I can use any of these materials.
What quests are high priority to beat? I've got a lot of paths open now, like bees, diamonds, condensing crystals and some Roots2 stuff, and I need lots of metal for all of them.

There's an advanced crucible that can retain a higher heat. This will melt iron moderately faster, and let you burn down stacks of other metals in no time flat.

You need to invest in your sieves and get them up to diamond tier. Have fun flaking shitloads of diamonds and getting pissed off by whatever loving rear end in a top hat decided it was a good idea to make the lower bound on flake yield be 0.

Your top priority should be getting diamonds, and then emeralds. That's the pathway to open up the next part of the quest book. (I wish that the Exoria questbook highlighted progression paths with oval/blue quest icons like sevtech.)

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You need to invest in your sieves and get them up to diamond tier. Have fun flaking shitloads of diamonds and getting pissed off by whatever loving rear end in a top hat decided it was a good idea to make the lower bound on flake yield be 0.

Assuming that’s PrimalCore’s knapping, I think there’s an option to change that in the config.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

also lol if you don't feed yourself with a comically large syringe filled with liquid fairy meat
Thats how potions are made.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/041018.jpg
URL because it can't be simply put here.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 26, 2018

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I'm not sure why you'd want more than one diamond mesh to be honest. Use iron meshes for processing ash, then use the one diamond mesh to process dust. Or other types of meshes too, considering dust gives drastically different results for each. The only thing you'd want to mass-sieve for with diamond meshes is obsidian dust, and can't you just mine obsidian once you have diamonds?

Or do you need mass diamond meshes for sieving misty world gravel?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Welp, I gave up exploring the nether for fortresses and used one of those feature finder online tools. Turns out my base is nowhere near any nether fortresses, and the closest of them is a bigass trek away.

And I loving hate the nether.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

McFrugal posted:

I'm not sure why you'd want more than one diamond mesh to be honest. Use iron meshes for processing ash, then use the one diamond mesh to process dust. Or other types of meshes too, considering dust gives drastically different results for each. The only thing you'd want to mass-sieve for with diamond meshes is obsidian dust, and can't you just mine obsidian once you have diamonds?

I waited and waited with my 1 diamond mesh for the obsidian and emerald just to progress.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Anyone have a good guide for Sky Resources poo poo? Exoria doesn't explain it very well and I have no idea how to use any of it.

Strong preference for a text guide, I hate video minecraft guides.

E: Just found the in game documentation. For anyone else who is similarly lost, the guide is bound to G but there's a bunch of key conflicts in Exoria for it.

Magres fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 26, 2018

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i legit do not understand why someone would release a modpack without tending to the key configs, but everyone seems to do it

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i legit do not understand why someone would release a modpack without tending to the key configs, but everyone seems to do it

They're probably too busy trying to balance everything around ever more tedium, you know... more important things than dealing with key-binds and other game design basics. Speaking of which it turns out that the flaking chance for diamonds is the same as flint at a 45% chance to drop something or so... except getting diamonds in the first place is less breezy than getting flint.

Also check this from the config files for Primalcore of all things:

quote:

# Cause the Grue to ignore players with Night Vision
B:GRUE_IGNORE_NIGHT_VISION=true

I'm pretty sure that's not how Grues work. I think?

Krakatoah fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 26, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
oh boy
https://udba.org/ac4bcc697f91f768b859b9f4ebec35bb.mp4
e: poo poo
https://i.imgur.com/L3VteWM.gifv

time to start packing together a good vr modpack I guess

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Oh god that looks horrifying, but I bet those grindy modpack authors are getting gigantic boners.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

You need diamond meshes to get tungsten dust, which you need to open up the Misty World portal. You also need it for ender pearl dust and mithril ore rocks (though I'm not sure what mithril is good for yet.)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Potsticker posted:

Oh god that looks horrifying, but I bet those grindy modpack authors are getting gigantic boners.

tbf it does appear to support stack crafting (unused redstone left on crafting table), and this is a very early build of the feature, IIRC drag to paint blocks into crafting grid is gonna be included, but I'm not sure what to think of the bucket inventories. Scrolling through that seems like a chore.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Truga posted:

tbf it does appear to support stack crafting (unused redstone left on crafting table), and this is a very early build of the feature, IIRC drag to paint blocks into crafting grid is gonna be included, but I'm not sure what to think of the bucket inventories. Scrolling through that seems like a chore.

I think I'm just imagining having to primal core style hit items in a crafting grid with a rock manually by actually swinging your arm down multiple times with enough force and like-- at that point it's way more manual labor than a video game should have.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Potsticker posted:

I think I'm just imagining having to primal core style hit items in a crafting grid with a rock manually by actually swinging your arm down multiple times with enough force and like-- at that point it's way more manual labor than a video game should have.

As if that's going to stop people from making Gregtech look tame by any comparison, the recent modpacks make me often wish we had another Blightfall-quality pack but I'm not sure if that will ever happen anytime in the near future.

Krakatoah fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 26, 2018

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Has anyone had trouble crafting a sieve in Exoria? It let me craft fiber mesh but for some reason even if I use JEI integration to put the recipe down it won't let me pull a sieve from my dang crafting table.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

I think with the sheer volume of conflicts the average modpack has, any attempt to resolve them would be futile, because every player's going to have their own personal keybind preferences.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ixjuvin posted:

Has anyone had trouble crafting a sieve in Exoria? It let me craft fiber mesh but for some reason even if I use JEI integration to put the recipe down it won't let me pull a sieve from my dang crafting table.

You probably need to use a TiCon crafting workbench. If you haven't unlocked that, do that next.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You probably need to use a TiCon crafting workbench. If you haven't unlocked that, do that next.

:psyduck:

I mean, I'm glad I have a real crafting table now, but that really could have been signposted better. Thanks.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ixjuvin posted:

:psyduck:

I mean, I'm glad I have a real crafting table now, but that really could have been signposted better. Thanks.

Yeah, agreed, but it wasn't really the modpack dev's intention for it to be gated like that. There's a bug with the immersive crafting table and the mod that stages recipes where the immersive table can't be used to craft any recipes that are gated.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of gating and extra steps, the Refined Storage dev just announced upcoming updates to the mod. In particular, nothing's being added and some things are being removed:

quote:

- Remove Solderer
- Reason: I never was very happy with this feature. It's a useless block that only allows for crafting of items you need to craft other items. It's a useless time gating mechanic, and will be replaced by a simpler tool.
Is this the first time a dev has removed an intermediary step for being pointless?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of gating and extra steps, the Refined Storage dev just announced upcoming updates to the mod. In particular, nothing's being added and some things are being removed:

Is this the first time a dev has removed an intermediary step for being pointless?

It's pretty rare. Botania is the only other mod I can think of that has removed some of the intermediate and tedium stuff, when the passive flowers were removed and making rune crafting give back input runes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Evil Mastermind posted:

That is a really good change. The solderer literally only did make crafting components that could've just as easily been crafted on a normal work table, and I always felt like it only did it that way because it was imitating AE2 with its inscriber press.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's pretty rare. Botania is the only other mod I can think of that has removed some of the intermediate and tedium stuff, when the passive flowers were removed and making rune crafting give back input runes.
I don't remember what update in Botania it was that changed it so you don't have to make a "diluted" mana pool first, and that you can make an endoflame as your first generating flower, but it was a good update.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

before i go and drill every chunk in sight - are there Immersive Engineering mineral veins in exoria? i'm finding oil and lava, but no veins yet

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

before i go and drill every chunk in sight - are there Immersive Engineering mineral veins in exoria? i'm finding oil and lava, but no veins yet

I just looked at the config, and Vein Size is set to zero for all the ores, which disables generation.

So no, no veins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

balls

well at least i don't have to go build a flippin' excavator for the Nth time