Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They are stand alone except for Heartcatch and Kira Kira which do work into the main series. You should 100% watch at least the Heartcatch, Yes and Maho Girls movies as they are all really good. Heartcatch movie is probably the best anime Rie Matsumoto has directed and Yes does the dark clone plot the best

I assume you mean those two movies get referred back to in their respective series' then? If so, at what point in those two shows should I watch them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

None of the movies really fail to fit in with their respective series. Some of them build on what's already there, though, and Dokidoki's movie informs quite a bit of Mana's character.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

None of the movies really fail to fit in with their respective series. Some of them build on what's already there, though, and Dokidoki's movie informs quite a bit of Mana's character.

I was mostly just asking if any of them actually wind up getting referenced later in the series itself or if you could just skip them entirely if you wanted and not miss much.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Heartcatch's movie gets referenced in the final fight and Kira Kira's movie is set up by episode 37. So watch Heartcatch before the final arc and Kira after episode 37. Every other Precure movie can be watched when ever though the best time is usually after the mid-season climax episode but before the final arc.

Also if you want to see the origin of the No Precure can fight another Precure rule watch the second Futari Wa movie and see Toei screw up the Black vs White fight so bad it caused kids to cry!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Rule of thumb with Precure movies usually is you're free to watch them once the OP starts advertising them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wanna say I appreciate them lampooning some of the classic toku tropes a bit in the first episode of Pretty Cure (original). They just kind of spout the transformation phrase/role call/catchphrase instinctively and then stop for a moment and wonder what the hell they just said.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 26, 2018

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Also if you want to see the origin of the No Precure can fight another Precure rule watch the second Futari Wa movie and see Toei screw up the Black vs White fight so bad it caused kids to cry!

I went and looked this up and wow it's bad. I can see why kids in theaters would be scarred. Not quite as bad as the 80s transformers movie but getting there.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Revolver Bunker posted:

I went and looked this up and wow it's bad. I can see why kids in theaters would be scarred. Not quite as bad as the 80s transformers movie but getting there.

The funny thing is Toei has used Hero vs Hero fighting as a plot point in Sentai/Rider/Sailor Moon before and pulled it off without kids crying but they had to go with an actual MMA style fight that looked like Black and White were trying to hurt each other. The fight is probably the most pure physical magical girl fight ever too TBH

Oh well, Toei adapted and we got Dark Dream/Dark Precure/Eas instead so it worked out in the end

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

HEY HEY PRECURE STREAM AT 7 CST AGAIN!! https://cytu.be/r/synchrogazer the usual suspects plus a mystery bonus ep because i should watch the mystery show more

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Ruru-Robo vs Happy robo when Super Robot Wars!

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Ruru-Robo vs Happy robo when Super Robot Wars!

They honestly wouldn't be the weirdest thing in X-O.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Lobsterman posted:

They honestly wouldn't be the weirdest thing in X-O.

Doctor Wily thought he could beat the Megazord and the Nadeisco C parked right in front of his castle.

What a stupid son of a bitch.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Twitter has high quality scans of the new Cures so we dont just have toy footage to go on

its 99.9 likely they are Emiru and Lulu

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Emiru looks so happy to be tall.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I watched the first 5 or so episodes of the original Pretty Cure (which seems to be the only Pretty Cure on Crunchyroll), and I found it rather bland. The main characters remind me a little bit of Sakura and Tomoyo, but in heavily watered-down form. Jack King (or whatever the intended Romanization is) is the most generic Evil Overlord ever, and Piscard isn't much better (though he was apparently permanently defeated in the last episode I watched, so maybe his replacement will be better). The fights are decently choreographed, but they all end the same way. I kept finding myself wishing I was watching Cardcaptor Sakura or Flip Flappers instead.

I've read that the series' selling points are the fight choreography (which isn't enough to keep me watching) and some kind of postmodern self-awareness (which so far mostly seems to mean acknowledging that the annoying mascot characters are annoying). Does it get better, am I missing something, or is it actually not that great?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 29, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, I'll probably get to them all eventually but what's the best overall Pretty Cure series to start with? Also am I correct in assuming that aside from the seasons that are explicitly direct sequels there's no real continuity between shows?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

futari wa is fun and goofy, i've found. it's definitely like, The First One and there's some rough stuff but like, there's a lot of heart that goes into it even if the animation doesn't compare to like, the gopri era. there's lots of meaningful stuff and some funny bits, imo, even if the fighting is kind of cookie cutter.

as for a first one to watch, it's a really hard thing to figure out. right now hugtto has been knocking it out of the park so if you wanted something that was still airing and not as many episodes you could go with it. gopri is really solid, kirakira is a bit less focused on the action aspects (the animators were poached for dragon ball) but has a lot of the same heart and soul you can find the series. lots of funny faces and gags. i haven't watched them myselves but both dokidoki and heartcatch are faves of some of the thread regulars.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
heartcatch is alright but i've been watching a bit of gopri and i feel that would be a better starting point tbh

heartcatch has a neat art style and the movie is fantastic but the filler episodes stand out pretty badly and it has a much weaker start

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Or just read a synopsis, pick whatever sounds interesting and try that for a few episodes and see if you like it. If not, then try another season. I jumped in with the latest precure at the time, Happiness Charge, which is now usually the one people consider the worst, but I still really like it a lot even if I can see its various flaws.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I've been going through the original currently and while it's a little rough around the edges obviously it seems promising so far. Nagisa is actually kind of a badass at times and, as I mentioned earlier, I love the gag in the first episode where the girls go through their whole role call and catchphrase bit before pausing and wondering what the hell they just said. I agree that villain does seem a bit dull though, does it get better as things progress?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the villains are definitely a lot weaker in futari wa, but the first one is probably the worst and the others were enjoyable

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Pissard

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kiriya was a good lad.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, when your villain has a name that's impossible to take seriously and everything else about him is generic as gently caress it doesn't really leave that great an impression. Good to know that he disappears quickly though and is more the exception rather than the rule as far as antagonists in this series go.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I dunno I respect Pissard and his generic cheap knockoff Ziggy Stardust look.
Series didn't really get decent villains to Splash Star and it didn't gets first real great villain till Yes (God Bless you Bunbee and your cheap Geese Howard/Megaman look)

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Personally I love Pissard because his idea of a disguise is not putting makeup on and keeping everything else the same, complete with the Space Kabuki hair. He's fun enough for a tutorial villain.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
My biggest issue with him is the way he's supposedly desperate to win at the end, but shifts to being sadistic and then shifts to being honorable because otherwise the protagonists wouldn't be able to win.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
From the 29 episodes I've seen, I would say the protagonists' victories over major villains don't feel earned a lot of the time.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Highres versions of the new cure artwork is out!

They planned Ruru's turn to be the week before kids mags to avoid spoilers for the arc only to have the electronic toy leak it a month in lol

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Spoilers for the ending of hugtto episode 18 :cry:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This series has broken almost all of the unwritten Precure rules and is amazing for it

Also it's super funny Yukari Tamura got an in character song in show when Nana Mizuki didn't in Heartcatch

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

We're doing a 5 episode stream tonight! Yeah!! https://cytu.be/r/synchrogazer

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hugatto Precure Episode 15, Emiru's request to Ruru to be Precure together is treated as a joke lamp shading spoilers

Hugatto Precure Episode 18, Emiru's request to Ruru to be Precure together is treated as a sad moment due to Ruru not thinking she's human enough

God drat this show

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject but out of curiosity, is the live action adaption of Sailor Moon they made a while back any good?

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Larryb posted:

Off the subject but out of curiosity, is the live action adaption of Sailor Moon they made a while back any good?

I enjoyed it. There are a few changes in the story from the anime and manga, with a couple new supporting characters thrown in. The 'special effects' can sometimes be cheesy, but for live action they're pretty good. I plan on watching it again at some point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Beato Believer posted:

I enjoyed it. There are a few changes in the story from the anime and manga, with a couple new supporting characters thrown in. The 'special effects' can sometimes be cheesy, but for live action they're pretty good. I plan on watching it again at some point.

How far into the story does it go? Just through the first season of the anime?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It loosely covers the first arc, but it has enough interesting divergences that you can see it as its own thing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

From what little I've seen I do like how the live action series actually somewhat changes the personal appearance of the Scouts when they transform. I don't remember if the orginal series gave any explanation as to why nobody can recognize them in Sailor form despite their faces being uncovered and unaltered other than I guess magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Luna in the live action is also very different in both good and bad ways