Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

FoldableHuman posted:

Mike Rugnetta, Crystal, Mikey, and Lindsay.

Ah, now I hear it, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

business hammocks posted:

Jamie Dornan in those movies is far less human or likable as he is in The Fall.

HOLY loving poo poo I didn't even notice that was the same actor.

Jesus that is just perfect casting isn't it?

'We need someone to play the guy from 50 shades of grey'
'...Is the psycho from 'The Fall' available?'

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

business hammocks posted:

Even though it’s a long-dead meme at this point, I’d love to hear Shaun do a few pages for a video like that to see if he can keep his composure. Then afterward he would calmly explain that even though the book is bad and silly, it’s still bad form to single out entertainment for women for that kind of ridicule.

I’d ask for hbomb too, but I can imagine his incredulous laugh too perfectly already.

Also maven should have covered it because the main guy is a capitalist and thus a vampire.

Can we make this happen? I would love it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Leal posted:

I never read Fifty Shades cause books are for nerds, but is the line "You look like the crack whore" seriously in the book? What a charmer, suggesting that women that interest him look like crack whores.

The books are terribly awful. Christian is not just a rapist/sadist but also he's just an rear end in a top hat about EVERYTHING. He fights her about travel arrangements, what to eat, any phrase she says that doesn't sit right with him, the list goes on and on, and he's just a colossal dickbag to her and it's like this is supposed to be the ideal fantasy boyfriend?

I highly recommend Jenny Trout's breakdown of them, which Dan referenced in his amazing video:

http://jennytrout.com/?p=3208

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

50 Shades of Grey is super trash for a bunch of reasons, none of them being that it's a "women's book" or anything.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Yardbomb posted:

50 Shades of Grey is super trash for a bunch of reasons, none of them being that it's a "women's book" or anything.

Yep. It’s the same poo poo with Ghostbusters or the new Star Wars movies. It’s ok to not like those things or think they’re bad, but the reality is that there’s a vocal hatedom for them because they’re viewed as for women/SJW/politically correct/whatever right-wingers are mad about this week and separating valid and invalid criticism is important.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

Yep. It’s the same poo poo with Ghostbusters or the new Star Wars movies. It’s ok to not like those things or think they’re bad, but the reality is that there’s a vocal hatedom for them because they’re viewed as for women/SJW/politically correct/whatever right-wingers are mad about this week and separating valid and invalid criticism is important.

w/r/t Star Wars and such, it's become endlessly amusing to me to just watch these angry white male nerds functionally breaking more and more of their toys out of spite and boxing themselves into increasingly reductive lives because they can't handle the progression of... [checks notes] ah yes, human history.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

nine-gear crow posted:

w/r/t Star Wars and such, it's become endlessly amusing to me to just watch these angry white male nerds functionally breaking more and more of their toys out of spite and boxing themselves into increasingly reductive lives because they can't handle the progression of... [checks notes] ah yes, human history.

Yep. I fall into the “the new trilogy is kind of lame, hollow nostalgia bait and rates as mediocre” camp but I’ll at least defend some parts of TLJ and ideas in TFA as cool and worthwhile even if I don’t think the films work in sum total. They aren’t the Star Wars movies I wanted and I don’t think they’re what the franchise deserves but they aren’t horrible either.

But some of the takes I’ve seen just weird me out. Nerds really hate the pink-haired lady and it’s funny how transparently lovely they are about it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Lightning Knight posted:

Nerds really hate the pink-haired lady and it’s funny how transparently lovely they are about it.

Every time I see a woman in a movie/game/whatever with an uncommon hair color or 'wrong' haircut, I always think to myself "Boy, bet I'm gonna see some neckbeard get mad about it" and it always comes true.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Lightning Knight posted:

Yep. I fall into the “the new trilogy is kind of lame, hollow nostalgia bait and rates as mediocre” camp but I’ll at least defend some parts of TLJ and ideas in TFA as cool and worthwhile even if I don’t think the films work in sum total. They aren’t the Star Wars movies I wanted and I don’t think they’re what the franchise deserves but they aren’t horrible either.

But some of the takes I’ve seen just weird me out. Nerds really hate the pink-haired lady and it’s funny how transparently lovely they are about it.

In a movie where a character is an 8 foot nonverbal alien dog, what really pisses people off is that this woman dyed her hair pink. UNREALISTIC.

Or she's just one of those human-ish aliens and it's natural.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Yardbomb posted:

Every time I see a woman in a movie/game/whatever with an uncommon hair color or 'wrong' haircut, I always think to myself "Boy, bet I'm gonna see some neckbeard get mad about it" and it always comes true.

“MARY SUE!” I continue insist as I slowly shrink and transform into an unopened ‘80s Darth Vader action figure.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

I didn't mean to imply that that was my problem with the book.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Which is ironic, because these goobers usually love the poo poo out of anime too, where natural hair colours generally the minority.

I bet an unsmall number of these folks screaming into their monitors about unrealistic SJWy pink haired Holdo are doing so in direct line of sight of infinitly more chromatic anime posters and Funko Pops.

"That woman's pink hair ruined Star Wars," I screech into my Rei Ayanami body pillow.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QUif0lj0dk

Bryan and Kyle look at Tiptoes, a film where Gary Oldman walks on his knees, Peter Dinklage plays a Marxist revolutionary, and the ending is loving weird.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

cosmically_cosmic posted:

In a movie where a character is an 8 foot nonverbal alien dog, what really pisses people off is that this woman dyed her hair pink. UNREALISTIC.

Or she's just one of those human-ish aliens and it's natural.

yea I fully agree there's nothing inherently bad about seeing the new SW and going 'eh, not my thing I'll stick to the originals' but I absolutely love loving with the "THIS ISN'T REALISTIC" or "THE PLOT IS TOO SIMPLE/CONVENIENT" crowd by just pointing at the original theory.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

sexpig by night posted:

yea I fully agree there's nothing inherently bad about seeing the new SW and going 'eh, not my thing I'll stick to the originals' but I absolutely love loving with the "THIS ISN'T REALISTIC" or "THE PLOT IS TOO SIMPLE/CONVENIENT" crowd by just pointing at the original theory.

Yeah, there are real problems with the new films (like bad comedy beats) but of all the things to complain about its a char's hair colour?

I legit think it was just because of the association of 'woman with uncommon hair colour = SJW' stereotype. Like the Jordan Peterson types see a woman with pink hair giving orders to a man and they feel like they're the victim of a misandrist conspiracy to undermine their childhoods.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That's pretty much it. dyed hair is a common aspect of negative feminist stereotypes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kim Justice posted:

The past day is pretty much the low point of this entire thread's existence and that's all I have to say.

Anyway, content. I like watching weird food things and I find My Virgin Kitchen a lot of fun. It's Barry Lewis (who you may know as part of Barshens)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3i_BaQ2zt4

It was pretty bad but I don’t blame em weird veneration and whitewashing the dead is drilled into people from an early age.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

people who are having midlife crises before they're even in their thirties think that hair dye is a symbol of misandry or something. It's real fuckin weird

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
I for one am happy that at least in this thread we can seriously discuss the rhetoric of Internet people who talk about cartoons and toys.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Augus posted:

people who are having midlife crises before they're even in their thirties think that hair dye is a symbol of misandry or something. It's real fuckin weird

The internet has utterly ruined the two generations that grew up with it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

nine-gear crow posted:

The internet has utterly ruined the two generations that grew up with it.

Counterpoint: gently caress olds.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Augus posted:

I suspect there's a little "how dare this woman style herself in a way that I personally do not find attractive" in there too. Some people have a similar reaction to women with tattoos, too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

tudabee posted:

I suspect there's a little "how dare this woman style herself in a way that I personally do not find attractive" in there too. Some people have a similar reaction to women with tattoos, too.

Tattoos especially are a sign of bodily autonomy and break the illusion that to stare at a woman is to own or control her with your vision. It sounds bananas when I type it out, but man do old men who stare at young women not want them wearing tattoos or piercings. Hair might be something similar, though this is kind of a boomer thing from what I have observed.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Pretty sure it's just "I see a lot of girls with dyed hair in Crazy Feminist videos/memes, therefore this is clearly a symptom of the Feminism."

I mean, yeah, a lot of crazy feminists do have dyed hair, because that's popular with the kids, but these dudes don't seem to be too good at observing reality, or sometimes at going outside, so they don't put two and two together.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

let me give you my theory about why Internet Weirds act the way they do

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
tell me why people write mpreg

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

boners

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

Counterpoint: gently caress olds.

As a retail employee I agree

I'll say!

E:

WampaLord posted:

The books are terribly awful. Christian is not just a rapist/sadist but also he's just an rear end in a top hat about EVERYTHING. He fights her about travel arrangements, what to eat, any phrase she says that doesn't sit right with him, the list goes on and on, and he's just a colossal dickbag to her and it's like this is supposed to be the ideal fantasy boyfriend?

I highly recommend Jenny Trout's breakdown of them, which Dan referenced in his amazing video:

http://jennytrout.com/?p=3208

This is certainly A Ride.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

my twitter handle is total_bisquick so now the joke doesn't work anymore.

CelticPredator posted:

Kylo Ren is in a place called “Star Wars Launch Bay” where you can meet the characters from the film. I watched a video last night which took place earlier this week, and they showed the line waits for each of the characters and it’s kinda sad when you look into it.

Chewie has a 30 minute wait time, Vader, 10 minutes, Kylo also 10....Rey...5 minutes. :smith:

Poor Disneyland Rey. No one wants to see you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DBIkOVYqes

(i dunno why most of the time i come across a cut for time skit it's better than most of the poo poo they actually air.)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Christian Grey as the ideal boyfriend fantasy for a non-trivial number of women stops being strange when you remember that most people aren’t extremely woke or even aware of gender role propagation or that their preferences in that space are largely socially constructed rather than “natural.” If you grew up in a world that tells you as a woman that being submissive and available for men is the ideal and in return you get provided for, Grey represents a way to experience that vicariously while also being nominally “edgy” in a safe way. It’s an effective piece of reactionary fantasy in the same way Twilight is, I.e. it’s reinforcing social norms but it’s posturing as some taboo out there thing so people think they’re cool for taking part instead of just normal.

See also: “conservative is the new punk,” people who think “I will only have sex with someone in a committed relationship” is a sexual orientation, etc.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

tell me why people write mpreg

Did you ever take a poop so big you thought it was alive?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Christian Grey as the ideal boyfriend fantasy for a non-trivial number of women stops being strange when you remember that most people aren’t extremely woke or even aware of gender role propagation or that their preferences in that space are largely socially constructed rather than “natural.” If you grew up in a world that tells you as a woman that being submissive and available for men is the ideal and in return you get provided for, Grey represents a way to experience that vicariously while also being nominally “edgy” in a safe way. It’s an effective piece of reactionary fantasy in the same way Twilight is, I.e. it’s reinforcing social norms but it’s posturing as some taboo out there thing so people think they’re cool for taking part instead of just normal.

See also: “conservative is the new punk,” people who think “I will only have sex with someone in a committed relationship” is a sexual orientation, etc.

Sure, but you don't have to be woke to realize that getting into an argument with your boyfriend every 5 minutes doesn't sound like a fun and sexy fantasy time.

Like I get that certain people are into hardcore D/S stuff and being ordered around, but this isn't even that, he just loving argues with her about everything and it seems exhausting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s as close as a neglected market gets to being catered to, so plenty of people will put up with the dumb and bad aspects. Same as Twilight.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WampaLord posted:

Sure, but you don't have to be woke to realize that getting into an argument with your boyfriend every 5 minutes doesn't sound like a fun and sexy fantasy time.

Like I get that certain people are into hardcore D/S stuff and being ordered around, but this isn't even that, he just loving argues with her about everything and it seems exhausting.

I mean, lots of people have never experienced that in real life, or that’s not the draw for them, or it’s different in a fantasy.

I mean don’t get me wrong, the books are drivel that absolutely whitewash abusive relationships. I just think it’s comprehensible (but maybe not good) why so many people like it.

Edit: ^ also a good point.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Christian's incessant whining is by far the most realistic part about the entire franchise.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The thing that struck me with Dan's video was just how much creative veto control EL James managed to maintain over the 50 Shades adaptations. Like usually whenever I heard about movie adaptations of books, the author generally had little to no say in what adaptational choices the film makes made. Did she just have a drat good contract lawyer who made sure she held onto those rights, or is this a new thing in movie rights contracts?

Because I seem to recall Suzanne Collins had a lot of input and control over the adaptation of the Hunger Games series, though the key difference being she is an actually talented storyteller, didn't argue with the film makes like James did, and a lot of her suggested changes (like making Effie an active member of the rebellion) actually improved the story.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s probably partially a way to signal authenticity to the fans, though that could have been accomplished without actually giving her power that could affect the outcome.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

The thing that struck me with Dan's video was just how much creative veto control EL James managed to maintain over the 50 Shades adaptations. Like usually whenever I heard about movie adaptations of books, the author generally had little to no say in what adaptational choices the film makes made. Did she just have a drat good contract lawyer who made sure she held onto those rights, or is this a new thing in movie rights contracts?

Because I seem to recall Suzanne Collins had a lot of input and control over the adaptation of the Hunger Games series, though the key difference being she is an actually talented storyteller, didn't argue with the film makes like James did, and a lot of her suggested changes (like making Effie an active member of the rebellion) actually improved the story.

I think it was a combination of them underestimating the harm she could do in combination with needing the deal to go through quickly (5 million was a bargain price all things considered).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's still hilarious the title of the original fanfic was "master of the universe". maybe give that a quick google before you title your work.