Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

Marlies continue to dominate. I'm going to the first home game of the conference finals against whoever winds up taking the Lehigh/Charlotte series

Don't they have a bunch of AAAA guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Leigh Valley/Charlotte in 4OT right now.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Going to 5OT. Alex Lyon has made 88 saves for the Phantoms.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/AHLPR/status/994442762236911617

History made!

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Phantoms win 2-1! 6:48 into 5OT. Lyon made 94 saves.

https://twitter.com/seanshapiro/status/994445199018426368

sedative fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 10, 2018

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

sedative posted:

Phantoms win 2-1! 6:48 into 5OT. Lyon made 94 saves.

https://twitter.com/seanshapiro/status/994445199018426368

https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/994446653909172224

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Hockles posted:

Now, if they could just stop doing such an unbalanced schedule and have all the teams play 76 games, we'd be in business.

Narrator: They didn't.

Schedule format came out today for the Monsters. Still unbalanced like always.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

also perfect is the Flyers AHL team getting incredible goaltending in the playoffs

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Has anyone else been watching the OHL playoffs? I'm in Hamilton and have been going to all the home games, it's been great! This whole final series with Soo has been great back and forth

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The phantoms are still injured as hell going into the conference finals

https://twitter.com/TonyAndrock/status/996426423383609345

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jesus christ

https://twitter.com/TonyAndrock/status/996840653622476800

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That explains so much about the flyers.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Game 1 was buck wild.

e: so was game 2

The Berzerker fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 21, 2018

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So uh, Phantoms goalie Alex Lyon just got a match penalty for kicking at a Marlie as he lay in the crease after being cross-checked

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Koopa Kid posted:

So uh, Phantoms goalie Alex Lyon just got a match penalty for kicking at a Marlie as he lay in the crease after being cross-checked

Man, things are not going Leigh Valley's way this series.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Koopa Kid posted:

That's probably the series for them if they don't rescind the match.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Koopa Kid posted:

Am I reading the box score right? A 10 minute powerplay off that?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Am I reading the box score right? A 10 minute powerplay off that?

yeah i think matches are automatic 10 minute majors and an ejection

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
https://mobile.twitter.com/TonyAndrock/status/999460096093687808?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

That's worth a match penalty?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i... wow, yeah i expected that to be much worse. the hell?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I wonder if it’s like spearing and there’s no discretion.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think because it's the head

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Apparently the Marlies got a too much man penalty because the ref didn’t notice they’d pulled their goalie (on a delayed penalty) so banner day all around.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

I think because it's the head

Looked to me like a stage kick to the ribs. It's a gif of one cable company access channel ripping the feed from another cable company access channel, so who knows. Later in the Twitter thread there's a gif of Ron Hextall cutting an oiler's leg off, which is surprisingly not part of a mural on Pattison Ave.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Hand Knit posted:

I wonder if it’s like spearing and there’s no discretion.

yeah, I ref and one of the big things in the rules are that even attempts to kick a guy are always a match, no ifs ands or buts.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Troy Queef posted:

yeah, I ref and one of the big things in the rules are that even attempts to kick a guy are always a match, no ifs ands or buts.

Yeah, might have been one of those type of plays, then the league will look at it and just rescind the match and call it a day. If they don't rescind the match and give Lyons a game suspension for that though...wow.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Colorado beats Fort Wayne 4-3 in overtime in an instant classic. Eagles tied it with 3 minutes remaining in the 3rd and won on a power play 10 minutes into OT. God drat they are something.

E: They will face the Florida Everblades for the Kelly Cup starting friday night :psyduck: in Colorado. Playing a 2-3-1-1 format

DJExile fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 24, 2018

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DJExile posted:

i... wow, yeah i expected that to be much worse. the hell?

It wasn’t a lot but that replay kinda downplays it compared to when I was watching. The ref was immediately on it though, and I’m kind of ok with a zero-tolerance outlook on that kind of thing specifically in hockey for what should be obvious reasons. But yeah NHL players have straight stomped on dudes and gotten less, it’s a real gutsy call.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Koopa Kid posted:

It wasn’t a lot but that replay kinda downplays it compared to when I was watching. The ref was immediately on it though, and I’m kind of ok with a zero-tolerance outlook on that kind of thing specifically in hockey for what should be obvious reasons. But yeah NHL players have straight stomped on dudes and gotten less, it’s a real gutsy call.

I think it's more an attempt to weed out that stuff before it gets to the nhl level

AHAQQ
Jul 16, 2009
So, uhh, Eeli Tolvanen was snubbed as the KHL rookie of the year. He broke the league record for most points as an 18-year-old (19+17 in 49 games). Instead, a Traktor Chelyabinsk player (4+3 in 35 games) got the award.

There were some rumours that it could only be awarded to a Russian player but Jokerit said in a tweet that KHL had confirmed to them that anyone could win it. Well done!

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Is it really that surprising? The KHL is an oligarch sandbox, like the whole country is.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
I'm watching the Marlies-Phantoms game 4, and I'm so used to high level hockey. Seeing people walk into the slot, wind up, and rip a slap shot from 10 ft out is wild. Such a different game.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

Andreas Johnsson is really good

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

sedative posted:

Andreas Johnsson is really good

Yeah he's really popped off in these playoffs since coming back from the Leafs. He's not going back to the AHL after this run.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Regina had a kick in goal last night that would have been legal in the whl, it’s gotta be tough getting used to new rules that quickly.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Vanbisbrouck was named director of hockey ops for USA hockey. This has caused some level of consternation given that he once called Trevor Daley the n word while he was the GM of the greyhouds in 2003 and allegedly never apologized to him. In addition to him not really having a superb resume relative to other candidates.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Quad Cities had their ECHL team fold, but they'll have a new SPHL team next season. They get the old Louisiana Ice Gators franchise, and are having a contest to pick their name / mascot.

The SPHL will stay at 10 teams though, the Mississippi River Kings are going dark for a year (forever).

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

inferis posted:

Regina had a kick in goal last night that would have been legal in the whl, it’s gotta be tough getting used to new rules that quickly.

I don't really get why you can't kick it in.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I don't really get why you can't kick it in.

Because you don’t want people swinging sharp knives around in a crowded area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

In the whl it’s only legal outside the crease, which seems reasonable and good

• Locked thread