Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Milky Moor posted:

imagine if you had've said to people, hey, this is how the disney-era star wars is going to go. no one would believe you. you'd probably have been banned from any and all star wars discussions.

"Disney is going to make yearly Star Wars films including unimaginative origin stories for popular characters" wasn't exactly impossible to predict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kevin Palpatine posted:

i want to see if they find a way to bring dooku back. like maybe some clone trooper packed his head on ice and later on someone attached it to a wookie's body. and then wookie-dooku will show up in the lobot movie, coming to theatres in 2022

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the Zillo beast - and making that episode a big Godzilla homage - was Lucas's idea. What else did he come up with for the show that we know about?

That two-parter was one of the best things of the Clone Wars series. Palpatine is so very obviously indulging himself in evil for its own sake and having a great time. Forcing an ethical, kind-hearted scientist to torture a sentient being was pure Dark Side. A mashup of King Kong and Godzilla in the Star Wars universe was a good idea executed well.

I liked Solo. Not all of the fanservice or origins of parts of Han's legend worked, but most of it did. The droid rights activist (someone make this Twitter account) gave us the droids tearing up the command center scene. Glover was fantastic as Lando and had some really good scenes. Woody was also excellent; I liked his original crew, both of those were good characters. Giant space cthulhu getting sucked into a black hole was a cool sequence. The music was terrific. Vibroblade fight at the end was good. The twist from bandits to rebels for the opposition group fell a little flat; I was half expecting a very young Phasma when the leader took her helmet off, she's got some of Christie's looks. Capes, capes, capes.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
I went in with low expectations and I was still pretty bummed that it was as lazy as it was. As predicted, it hit every plot point about Han Solo's life that we knew and then told us one more, which is that his ex-girlfriend worked for Darth Maul. Cool.
The tone was all over the place, every character death was forgotten in the next scene, and the dialogue was almost never anything but lines pulled from a book of screenwriting cliches.
If they had to make a Han Solo movie, it would have been nice to see maybe a smaller film based around something like him getting the Millennium Falcon instead of him acquiring all his friends and gear he keeps for the rest of his life and then also hopping from planet to planet and saving the Rebellion. Really wish we would have seen more Lando, Han and Chewie instead of focusing on Woody Harrelson's phoned in performance and Emilia Clarke.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

Panzeh posted:

same, unexpected but cool would've been the lead marauder being saw gerrera- hell, they looked like saw's crew anyway, and the plot beat was basically that anyway, i woulda bought that

Was one of the aliens from Saw’s (later) gang or was he just same species? Looked familiar but idk if it was an intentional reference to R1.

The film was... decent? I had absolutely zero expectations besides that I expected the Solo guy to be poo poo and Emilia Clarke super lovely as always, so I guess I was a bit surprised that the Solo man wasn’t super awful. Woody did the same role he always does nowadays and Donglover was Lando as gently caress, so everything sorta evens out in the actor department. The plot was an overcomplicated heist story and could’ve been 30 mins shorter without losing anything. I rolled my eyes so loving hard at the surname reveal, which was pretty much the lowest point of a movie filled with insane amounts of dumb fanservice.

But yeah, it was entertaining in places, overall pretty well done and safe as hell, so truly the Ron Howard of Star Wars films. I wish Disney would at some point take at least some risks with the franchise and do something unexpected, but that’ll never happen.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
While I didn't really like the whole name thing, the execution of it wasn't nearly as cringy as the idea itself. Not to me anyway.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LesterGroans posted:

"Disney is going to make yearly Star Wars films including unimaginative origin stories for popular characters" wasn't exactly impossible to predict.

Yeah like this was something people were saying freely since the day Disney bought Star Wars.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

I wish Disney would at some point take at least some risks with the franchise and do something unexpected, but that’ll never happen.

Funny, I thought that's what TLJ was. Kill off the hero of the OT, kill off the Evil Big Bad like a chump, have the daring plot to save the good guys be pointless and gently caress everything up, team up the main good and bad guy and hint at joining forces only for the bad guy to say "nah, I'm still the bad guy". I mean, I thought that was why everyone hated TLJ, because it "took the series in the wrong (different) direction"

Mezzanine fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 26, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If they did anything genuinely new and different more people would probably complain that it's not what they're used to than would complain that it's the same old thing they've seen a dozen times before.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
Just realized they really missed an opportunity to start the movie with Han having long hair, then walking into a barber shop and getting his hair cut into that classic style we recognize from the original films.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Wheat Loaf posted:

If they did anything genuinely new and different more people would probably complain that it's not what they're used to than would complain that it's the same old thing they've seen a dozen times before.

Yeah, there's no winning, a significant portion of the fanbase is going to bitch loudly no matter which choice you make.

I think it's reasonably entertaining either way, so I don't really give a poo poo which one they choose.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Yeah, there's no winning, a significant portion of the fanbase is going to bitch loudly no matter which choice you make.

Sure. TLJ wasn't really that different from any other Star Wars movies but a lot (certainly not all, of course) of the fan criticism (as opposed to more general criticism) was that it was too different.

I guess a lot of it is about expectations (without going for the edgy "Yeah, I expected it to be good. :smug:" angle) and it's the same as the prequels. I think loads of people hated the prequels because they weren't the movies they were expecting. In TLJ's case it had two years of YouTube Star Wars Experts theorising about it, which none of the previous movies ever did.

People talk about Fincher's idea of a movie where the droids rise up against organic beings to assert their equal rights. Now, I think that would be very interesting, but let's be honest, it'd probably piss even more people off and have even more people insisting that it's ruined Star Wars than TLJ did, because it is genuinely unexpected and relatively challenging.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think part of the issue with Star Wars or, realistically, any "cinematic universe" is that, in addition to the normal criteria for judging a movie: was it entertaining, was it technically well crafted, was it artistically well crafted -- you also have "did it take the characters and universe that I like in a direction I agree with?" One-off movies that don't fit into some larger universe of storytelling don't have to deal with that at all. Solo and TLJ could be the best movies in the world on their own merits (they aren't -- this is only hypothetical) and you'd still have a bunch of people pissed off that the story wasn't what they wanted, and they don't like what happened to the characters.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure. TLJ wasn't really that different from any other Star Wars movies but a lot (certainly not all, of course) of the fan criticism (as opposed to more general criticism) was that it was too different.

I guess a lot of it is about expectations (without going for the edgy "Yeah, I expected it to be good. :smug:" angle) and it's the same as the prequels. I think loads of people hated the prequels because they weren't the movies they were expecting. In TLJ's case it had two years of YouTube Star Wars Experts theorising about it, which none of the previous movies ever did.

this is deffo true, nothing in TLJ is all that out there for the kind of genre movie star wars has always been. the old broken hero gets a redemption and dies inspiring the next generation, the second part of the trilogy is the low point for the heroes, the charismatic antagonist second-in-command kills his superior to usurp his role.

TLJ was just uninterested in the mysteries TFA set up and had people speculating on for two years, which will be divisive for people depending on how much they gave a poo poo about those mysteries beforehand

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brother Entropy posted:

TLJ was just uninterested in the mysteries TFA set up and had people speculating on for two years, which will be divisive for people depending on how much they gave a poo poo about those mysteries beforehand

Sure, that's why I was so surprised that so many people turned out to be so invested in Snoke's mysterious backstory - I honestly didn't realise he was supposed to have one.

Despite being a colossal nerd I tend to dislike fandoms and never participate in them, so I don't get invested in all the fan theorising, which increasingly (and this certainly isn't exclusive to Star Wars, of course) seem to become entrenched in the fandom consciousness as being some kind of received wisdom that the movie is wrong not to confirm.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah like this was something people were saying freely since the day Disney bought Star Wars.

I'm just waiting for them to bite the bullet and have Chewbacca team up with Spiderman.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I actually thought the mysterious crime leader was going to be Snoke for a split second before he took off the hood.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

Was one of the aliens from Saw’s (later) gang or was he just same species? Looked familiar but idk if it was an intentional reference to R1.
Yeah it was this dude: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Edrio

He was in Rebels too.

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

But yeah, it was entertaining in places, overall pretty well done and safe as hell, so truly the Ron Howard of Star Wars films. I wish Disney would at some point take at least some risks with the franchise and do something unexpected, but that’ll never happen.
So did you like The Last Jedi or...?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Brother Entropy posted:

The main problem is that those mysteries were the only things in TFA that were remotely interesting.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zoran posted:

The main problem is that those mysteries were the only things in TFA that were remotely interesting.

that's kind of an interesting conundrum: should a direct sequel still feel beholden to what the previous movie set up if what the previous movie set up was pretty much crap

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The first 15 minutes were pretty good. It felt like Lord and Miller’s stuff. Weird, really silly physical comedy with some fun scenes of action.

Then they end the WW1 Empire stuff and Jon Favaru shows up and I was like...oh no....

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Solo is the first Star Wars movie in my life i haven’t seen on opening night which feels weird but TLJ just completely sucked any enthusiasm I had for the new Star Wars out of my body Shang Tsung style. still looking forward to seeing it but i have to imagine that’s the case for a decent amount of people if the early box office reports are accurate

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Just got back from Solo. The movie was packed with a lot of cool poo poo, but unfortunately within a very bland and dull plot. Once the movie was ending, it hit me that I didn't really give a drat about why anything was happening. Nothing had any real weight because most of the twists were so obvious "if you're paying attention." Or maybe that was some meta joke about the movie being predictable?

Either way, I didn't mind the Maul reveal. It was the only real surprise to be had.

I also loved Donglover as Lando. He really nailed it. And probably most of the rest of the galaxy.

I also like that the canonically, the Falcon actually has a conscience.

If they definitely create a sequel, I found myself much more interested in what that movie could be. Seeing this big job Jabba the Hutt is recruiting for sounds intriguing.

In the end, this is one I wouldn't be adverse to seeing it again if someone asked me to go. But I'm totally content with waiting till the Blu-ray.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
I found it really funny when Thandie Newton blew herself up not because doing so would save her comrades' lives, but so Woody could maybe complete a job and get a paycheck (and he still failed). I probably would not have blown myself up in that situation but maybe that makes me a selfish person.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
drat, I already wrote this a couple hours back but looks like Awful app didn't post it.

Mezzanine posted:

Funny, I thought that's what TLJ was. Kill off the hero of the OT, kill off the Evil Big Bad like a chump, have the daring plot to save the good guys be pointless and gently caress everything up, team up the main good and bad guy and hint at joining forces only for the bad guy to say "nah, I'm still the bad guy". I mean, I thought that was why everyone hated TLJ, because it "took the series in the wrong (different) direction"

Points to Johnson for at least trying to do something different and it was a lot better than TFA's remake/remix take, but in the end it really wasn't that much of a breakaway and hits most of the familiar story beats. For example, Mr Snookie's entire TFA & TLJ arc was just Palpatine's ESB & ROTJ arc with less significance for the overall story, Finn's fuckup adventure isn't that different from the OT heroes' Cloud City failure and so on. Kylo is good though and his arc has been the best part of the new trilogy so far. However, I don't really have very high hopes for EP IX since Abrams is coming back and the worst case scenario is that he'll just wipe all the even remotely interesting developments from TLJ and just replace them with his signature thousand mystery boxes and "unexpected" plot twists.

I think the main thing was that I hoped the actual trilogies (since there's an infinite amount coming) would be this mainstream unsurprising Star Wars thing and the Stories branch would be used for something a bit more innovative either genre- or story-wise. OK, we're just two films in, but so far it's been a bit of a letdown. Solo could've been a small-scale heist film with a bit of an origin story splashed in, since it didn't have to be tied in to the other trilogies by anything else than the main character, but instead they pushed out a bland mess that's all over the place.

Maybe the development cycle will be the same it was with the MCU, so that soon it moves to the point where we get stuff like the Star Wars equivalents of Deadpool, Ant-Man, Thor Ragnarok, Spider-Man Homecoming etc. with variations in style, genre and scope. There's insane amounts of potential for that, so it'd be a shame if they just do the same thing and a shitload of fanservice over and over and over again. (Maybe the joke's on me though since I'm going to go see all of it anyway.)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Y'all hating on the Maul stuff, but goddamn, when the slow version of Duel of the Fates plays as he talks to Qi'ra, that poo poo is rad and I don't care who loving knows it.

It was a literal "Oh gently caress OFF!" moment - characters that have been loving cut in half and gone for a short jump into a deep hole dont get magiced back suddenly without a really good explaination - and just waving *force* aint going to cut it for a character in two large pieces last seen decending at terminal velocity. The whole lightsbare thing was cringy, tacky, poorly executed attempt to show intimidation that was laughable in how poorly it was done onscreen.

The more I think on the whole movie, the wrose it gets - the action really isnt good, the Kessel run was badly written EU style hot garbage and that chief Maurader, are we supposed to know or care who she was? It seemed like we should have but nope I have no idea or no caring. Let alone the laughable space octopus and the Maw, which if I remeber came from one of the bad EU boos so it can also gently caress off.

Positives - the character interaction was mostly good. More of that and less cringly L3 would be nice.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I just release the droids name was a leet joke.:rolleyes:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lord and Miller joke. Not a Ron Howard joke.

Release the lord and Miller cut

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

Release the lord and Miller cut

They were still shooting when they were fired, I don't think they would have had a cut...

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

SeANMcBAY posted:

I just release the droids name was a leet joke.:rolleyes:

I literally just noticed the same thing and was coming here to post it. That couldn't have been coincidental by story group?

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Darth Maul's been alive in Star Wars canon for almost as long as he's been dead, now. Stop worrying about the fact that he's alive and get down to what really matters: if his lower half is robot, how he gently caress?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cronodoculous posted:

Darth Maul's been alive in Star Wars canon for almost as long as he's been dead, now. Stop worrying about the fact that he's alive and get down to what really matters: if his lower half is robot, how he gently caress?

Same way L3 gently caress, I assume (well, opposite, but you get what I'm saying).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

They were still shooting when they were fired, I don't think they would have had a cut...

There’s 80% of their movie on the floor of Disney somewhere. Slap that poo poo into Premiere and give me a good version that wasn’t bland as hell

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Just saw it.

Here's my two cents...

It didn't add much, but it didn't take anything away either. I was fine with it.

Ps: If Maul's alive it should be V a d e r who finally kills him in an epic show down. Maul doing flippy spinny poo poo and V a d e r has none of it and takes his head off. And then cuts it in half to say 'he's dead for real this time.'

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

In a Galaxy as large/diverse/advanced as the one Far Far Away, I'm reasonably sure there's plenty of...enhancements/substitutes/supplements for those lacking certain attributes

Darth Maul manages to carry a hate boner the size of a Super-Duper Star Destroyer against Obi-Wan and later Palpatine for...

+10-ish years after TPM...
+3-ish for Clone Wars...
+13-ish for Rebels...

A really long time

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

deoju posted:

Just saw it.

Here's my two cents...

It didn't add much, but it didn't take anything away either. I was fine with it.

Ps: If Maul's alive it should be V a d e r who finally kills him in an epic show down. Maul doing flippy spinny poo poo and V a d e r has none of it and takes his head off.

Obi-Wan kills him, finally.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

deoju posted:

Just saw it.

Here's my two cents...

Ps: If Maul's alive it should be V a d e r who finally kills him in an epic show down. Maul doing flippy spinny poo poo and V a d e r has none of it and takes his head off. And then cuts it in half to say 'he's dead for real this time.'

Maul's dead in canon anyway. He goes to find Kenobi in Rebels and they fight in an epic battle lasting...

...literally about 1.5 seconds. It was actually pretty cool.

So I think you'd approve.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
You know what’s odd? Of all the new characters introduced since Disney took over, the droids have all been the best

BB8
K2SO
L3

All are far more interesting than the actors

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I've never seen Rebels, but that sounds like a kurosawa-esque showdown, which I'd be cool with.

But I don't think Disney will follow any 'cannon' that isn't their own if they don't want to. And they shouldn't. The Expanded Universe was a nightmare of "too many cooks" that collapsed under its own weight. The MCU should be their model.

Basically this with lightsabers is how I want Maul vs V a d e r to go down...
:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLRvUhyh2ok:nws:

deoju fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What's that?

A realistic battle involving the use of laser swords and the culmination of a (one-sided) rivalry lasting almost thirty years?

Preposterous

But aye, definitely one of the better closings of a character, especially if you've seen TCW and understand the meaning behind their actions

I also like that Obi-Wan developed a counter to the move that killed his master and baited Maul into using it

Samara posted:

You know what’s odd? Of all the new characters introduced since Disney took over, the droids have all been the best

BB8
K2SO
L3

All are far more interesting than the actors

Chopper from Rebels, and Beetee and Triple-Zero from the Darth Vader/Doctor Aphra comics are delightful socio/psychopaths as well