Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I run em till I don't think I can get another session out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Took the FiST to Waterford Hills again today. First time out, limp mode because coolant hit 250+ degrees in 5 laps. Second time out, charge pipe blew off the turbo.

I’ve got a nice sunburn on my ankle from running the heat full blast for the next few runs. Had a good time but all the working on the car and fairly high heat of the day sapped me badly. I got home and have no interest getting off the couch at all.

One of those days that is a good reminder that I have a lot of small reliability stuff to take care of in the next month. Probably should install that radiator...

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Too much heat in Waterford, Michigan??? I guess the track is slower so you don't get as much cooling, but I'm surprised the car was getting so hot.

Waterford is fun, though. I'm actually going to be moving back to the area early next year, too, so I'll be out there sometime myself.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I feel like I've heard tons of stories about FiSTs not having great cooling, so it's not too surprising.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: meh

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 25, 2018

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KillHour posted:

I feel like I've heard tons of stories about FiSTs not having great cooling, so it's not too surprising.

I got the Cobb FMIC for my FiST and even running a tune I was able to handle heat issues, other than the brakes. I couldn't run all-out for an entire 25 min session but taking a cooler lap after 7 or 8 hot laps isn't so bad.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

My car isn’t stock (so not an indictment on stock fists), but has the stock radiator at the moment. I wasn’t watching intake charge temps but I didn’t felt any heat soak power loss at all...just the car hitting limp mode on the back straight.

With the heat on full blast I was able to get 8-9 laps before the brakes got a little soft, which has been my typical experience with the stock brakes + dtc-60s.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
In addition to, or even instead of bigger, better coolers, improving airflow through them goes a long way. Like think about where the air is going after it hits the radiator. Some well placed speed holes and fabricating some ducting can go a long way, if you're willing to say, cut holes in the hood. Also a higher percentage of water:antifreeze with some water wetter added helps.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

jamal posted:

In addition to, or even instead of bigger, better coolers, improving airflow through them goes a long way. Like think about where the air is going after it hits the radiator. Some well placed speed holes and fabricating some ducting can go a long way, if you're willing to say, cut holes in the hood. Also a higher percentage of water:antifreeze with some water wetter added helps.

Good advice! I’m thinking of rigging up some “walls” to stop air from entering the grill and passing around the outside of the radiator and Fmic. Not sure what material to use though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I used HVAC foam of various types (the thick blocks and sticky backed neoprene kind) on the S2000 to seal up the front.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Good advice! I’m thinking of rigging up some “walls” to stop air from entering the grill and passing around the outside of the radiator and Fmic. Not sure what material to use though.

Aluminum sheet, rivets, and adhesive backed foam tape always worked well for me.

Cardboard mockup, trace onto aluminum adding tabs/flaps to join, then bend and rivet together.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

honda whisperer posted:

Aluminum sheet, rivets, and adhesive backed foam tape always worked well for me.

Cardboard mockup, trace onto aluminum adding tabs/flaps to join, then bend and rivet together.

This worked well for us, bonus of being quick/cheap/easy to do with scrap metal in the paddock.

If you want to get fancy Alumalite is great stuff but overkill for this application. It does work really well for splitters and under body panels.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Sheet metal is easier to bend and rivet together than alumalite.

Here's a duct a guy I know made, mockup out of cardboard

We had a pretty well vented hood but the ducting out of the coolers could have been better. The radiator was just tilted forward and then the hood vent was extended down a bit

What I would have liked to have done is built some ducting on the radiator itself and a little more on the hood so that it was mostly sealed up with the hood closed, and then possibly reduced the front opening area. The time we taped off the upper grille because it was cold out the aero balance changed pretty significantly (lots more front downforce).

The thing about a well ducted cooler is that you want your opening in the front to actually be a good amount smaller than the core of the cooler itself. Mostly because the open area of the core is much smaller than the total area, so having a big opening will just result in no additional cooling and a bunch of extra drag. So you can really improve both the cooling and aerodynamics when you spend some time building ducts. Maybe, probably. OEMs put a lot of consideration into aero these days so maybe not as much as I'd like to think.

jamal fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 26, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Some dude came over to complain to me today about cruising before the start/finish line after seeing the checkered flag thrown during a track day today. Told me that I almost collected two Miatas and his GT500 Mustang and that I shouldn't get in the way of people trying to get their last lap in (there was heavy traffic anyway). This organization doesn't do cooldown laps and the track exit is within seconds of the start / finish line. :psyduck: I'll upload the video of the last lap later.

I think it is time to stick to NASA for Arizona events. I keep saying that but I should probably commit to it.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 27, 2018

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I never understood the "serious business track day" crowd. Why ride someone's rear end so hard a lift could wreck you? Close enough for a point by, if they don't see you or care just pit for 30 seconds and enjoy an open track again.

(Not saying track days aren't serious, just that there's no win condition)

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
"Oh man, I'm sorry I messed up your championship by lifting, that must have cost you so much sponsorship money by spoiling your fast lap"

Lol if someone lifting screws you up that badly, find a different sport. Screw that guy.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Eh, basically what happened was that I split a pack of four Miatas off the main straight, with an additional ZL1 Camaro getting by me, then parking it through the long sweeper that follows. It was basically your usual traffic lap cruise, actually most of the session was since it got black flagged for a Camaro going sideways into the wall and catching the edge. Once I saw that it was waving checkers I lifted / hand out and cruised through the straight that includes the start/finish line, which is directly followed by pit in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQYfObU_GAM
Maybe I did gently caress up, I can't say for 100% sure without being in the other dude's shoes. I am assuming he was frustrated with traffic or he ignored the checkers and blitzed down the start/finish straight without realizing how slow everyone was going and I got the blame.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 27, 2018

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Well I don't know about track day etiquette but in W2W if someone lifts after the checker or in any other circumstance you either pass them if safe or suck it up.

Think of it this way - from what I'm hearing the guy implying he was close to collecting you... so what if you had a fuel starvation hiccup? Or overheating?

Unless you're turning into him, most of the responsibility to be safe lies on the people behind, so gently caress that clown, if he can't figure out what to do he doesn't belong on track.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
wait, someone was complaining about the 4 seconds you lifted and the camaro put 20 car lengths between him and you? :psyduck:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

You didn’t do anything wrong. But that’s some real bad planning or organization that pit in is after the start finish. Definitely leads to more dangerous situations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Thanks, now I know I'm not completely crazy. I was just so confused when he walked up to me like I should have known that I did something retarded.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
If you're going to lift on line on a straight you should give a wave.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
How are the new Dunlop Star Spec 3s?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
It's not even like you got up to speed and then lifted, which can be dangerous, you just never hit the gas coming on to the straight. That may have seemed odd to the people behind you but it also wasn't unsafe in any way.

Edit: I also don't like the proximity of the checker to pit out either, there needs to be time for everyone to cool their cars down and slow down in a safe way.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I attended a Track Night in America event at Pacific raceways last Friday. Two of my friends were driving in it and I was just checking out how much of a poo poo show it was. There were a few crashes, all in the novice group. The lack of instruction seems crazy to me. My friend that showed up early said there was barely a drivers meeting too. The posted event hours are also pretty misleading, the website said 3-9pm but it's more like 5-7pm according to the schedule printout at the track. Luckily no one was hurt, even the kid that got out of his car to check his wheels on track.

This one happened right in front of me. The wall was straight before he hit it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
gently caress, that's an STI? I can't even tell from the body or the... lack of headlights.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
was

past tense.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
on the plus side one less ugly blobeye wrx in the world

i'm surprised the crash was there instead of the back straight which definitely the hairier part of the course

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Pacific Raceways does in fact eat cars: last I talked to the event director that runs SCCA Track Night there they've started mentioning the repaved section that ate a Camaro in the advanced group on my first day there last year. There's a pavement transition just past the apex at the entry to the dragstrip, note the twitch at 2:27 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpC0xtMVDvg&t=147s. You can avoid it by staying away from the apex, but that's bad for your lap time!

The Ridge is a much better track if you're interested in keeping your car. Also, that's a good reminder that RLI/Hagerty track day insurance is about 30% cheaper at SCCA Track Night events than others- I pay about $150 for SCCA on insuring $42k at a 15% deductible, and it's $225ish otherwise. I'm glad insurance exists to make it feasible to put a car on track that you can't afford to write off, but I also guess a lot of young & invincible types just assume they'll never screw up.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

heffray posted:

Pacific Raceways does in fact eat cars: last I talked to the event director that runs SCCA Track Night there they've started mentioning the repaved section that ate a Camaro in the advanced group on my first day there last year. There's a pavement transition just past the apex at the entry to the dragstrip, note the twitch at 2:27 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpC0xtMVDvg&t=147s. You can avoid it by staying away from the apex, but that's bad for your lap time!

The Ridge is a much better track if you're interested in keeping your car. Also, that's a good reminder that RLI/Hagerty track day insurance is about 30% cheaper at SCCA Track Night events than others- I pay about $150 for SCCA on insuring $42k at a 15% deductible, and it's $225ish otherwise. I'm glad insurance exists to make it feasible to put a car on track that you can't afford to write off, but I also guess a lot of young & invincible types just assume they'll never screw up.

How is the Seattle (more like Tacoma) area in terms of track stuff, anyway? Within a 3-4hr driving range.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

BlackMK4 posted:

How is the Seattle (more like Tacoma) area in terms of track stuff, anyway? Within a 3-4hr driving range.

The Seattle area (PNW?) is pretty good for tracks. Pacific raceways is about 30mins away, The Ridge is 1.5hrs, and Portland is about 3hrs. Further out is Mission in BC, Spokane raceway, and Oregon raceway park. There's various circle tracks around too. Evergreen speedway is 30-40mins away to see Formula D and I think they had global rally cross last year.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NinjaTech posted:

The Seattle area (PNW?) is pretty good for tracks. Pacific raceways is about 30mins away, The Ridge is 1.5hrs, and Portland is about 3hrs. Further out is Mission in BC, Spokane raceway, and Oregon raceway park. There's various circle tracks around too. Evergreen speedway is 30-40mins away to see Formula D and I think they had global rally cross last year.

Excellent. :) Maybe this won't be so bad then.

I have a weird question, is there a head and neck restraint that places less force on your collar bones when strapped in? I have a Schroth Evo right now and I broke a collar bone in the past which is now a fat lump of bone, it would be nice if there was something that didn't push so fuckin hard on it. Very liveable right now, but if there is an alternative...

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

You could get the Simpson Hybrid, which doesn't really go over your clavicle at all.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Track day tomorrow, at Calabogie. I can't sleep.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SlapActionJackson posted:

You could get the Simpson Hybrid, which doesn't really go over your clavicle at all.

Thank you, I'll walk around the pits and see if I can find one to test for a session :)

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

BlackMK4 posted:

Excellent. :) Maybe this won't be so bad then.

I have a weird question, is there a head and neck restraint that places less force on your collar bones when strapped in? I have a Schroth Evo right now and I broke a collar bone in the past which is now a fat lump of bone, it would be nice if there was something that didn't push so fuckin hard on it. Very liveable right now, but if there is an alternative...

I use a Necksgen, Lemons was having discount on them when I got it. I could switch between my formula car and a production car easily. The HANS device that was adjustable would have been 3x the price and is more bulky. I've been pretty happy with it and it just sits on top of your shoulders.
https://www.necksgen.com/

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Autobahn country club north is really fun!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Took the Miata down to a track for an autocross event near Galveston. First corner of the first run I lost a swaybar endlink on the front and spun out. This run is the fastest I managed that day and put me in 9th place in novice. It finally clicked how to look ahead on a course to find the next cone during this event. Hopefully I can keep the swaybars connected on the next even and be able to carry more speed through the slaloms. Still need to work on smoothing my inputs and looking ahead. I guess I can't figure it all out at once.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JROcTYairlM

bonus wet lap a month ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kijeZnZGrcc

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 4, 2018

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The guys from Powerstop got a beautiful pic of my car at Autobahn. God drat.
https://www.powerstop.com/gridlife-pics-autobahn-country-club/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Niiiiice