Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

deoju posted:

But I don't think Disney will follow any 'cannon' that isn't their own if they don't want to.

Good news! It's Disney's own canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
When the big reveal happened of who the Maurader boss was, Han looks at Chewy with the same expression I had - "Hey Chewie, whose the kid and what expanded universe cartoon do I need to watch to understand why it's filmed as a big reveal?".

The whole shot is taken to be a A-HA moment, but dosn't pay off beyond "she's a girl?!!" which the movie hadn't built up for.

Then the movie does it a second time with Maul, but does build it up beforehand, but it's shot so I expected it to be Palaptine instead.

I thought the movie was ok. Walking out of the theater I was pretty meh about it, but it's parts are better than the sum of it's total. I'd watch it when it comes on TV, but we all know it's going to be exlusive to Disney's streaming channel, and don't think I'd buy the DVD of it. I thought R1 was a better movie.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Cronodoculous posted:

Darth Maul's been alive in Star Wars canon for almost as long as he's been dead, now. Stop worrying about the fact that he's alive and get down to what really matters: if his lower half is robot, how he gently caress?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Ohhh, I've got another idea for the obi-wan movie...

He gets a tip for Jimmy Smits Organa while on Tattooine that Maul is still around and he and his friends* spend most of the movie hunting the Red Dawn and Maul.

Late in the third act, Maul and Kenobi meet for a lightsaber fight that is epic as gently caress, hrooowwww, woooohrow, hoommmrooowmm. Sabers cross.... clack, clackity clack click.... Kenobi is bleeding from the shoulder... They break away, a pace and half apart for a stare down and it looks like one will die for sure...

Then you hear the sound of a pressure door sliding open and smoke fills the corridor between Maul and Kenobi. "Kohhhh-pahh, kohhh-pahhh" Bzzzthowwwmmm...

Vader makes it a three-way battle.

And they hack away for while. Maul gets the upper hand, ready to kill both in one stroke. Vader force-pushes Kenobi to safety, saving his life, but taking the blow and losing his last limb in the process. Vader, rises, kills Maul.

By now Kenobi is on his feet, ready to fight... And whatever battle station/death-star-analogue they are on begins to collapse and separates them and each feels to safety...

*his friends were tipping off the Empire so Vader knew where to find them.

OK, that's my plot. Just put me down as 'producer' in the credit roll, Katherine. Thanks.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Darth Vader kills Obi-Wan with a sawed off shotgun in the Obi-Wan movie.

Now what?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gonz posted:

Darth Vader kills Obi-Wan with a sawed off shotgun in the Obi-Wan movie.

Now what?

Dust off the Spaarti Cylinders and release Obi-Waan, obviously

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
I've been saying it for years now, but the Obi-Wan movie should have a crazy one-armed Mace Windu showing up on Obi-Wan's doorstep, initiating some offworld adventure to do whatever. Make it a buddy movie with a third act turn where Mace decides he needs to kill Luke.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hansen85 posted:

I've been saying it for years now, but the Obi-Wan movie should have a crazy one-armed Mace Windu showing up on Obi-Wan's doorstep, initiating some offworld adventure to do whatever. Make it a buddy movie with a third act turn where Mace decides he needs to kill Luke.

After Solo, why the gently caress not. You wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s clear that they do not want to get nuts.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
obi-wan's 'fight' against maul in rebels is ok but i'd have preferred him winning Old Ben Kenobi style rather than being better with a laser sword than the angry guy

like, have maul approach a cloaked silhouette and start monologuing, only to slowly realise it's just an empty cloak, before the ground collapses under him into a punji pit (or a baby sarlaac) and a bunch of tusken raiders turn up and shoot him to death

meanwhile kenobi is several miles away with a smile of grim satisfaction on his face. i should remember that empty-cloak trick for when i fight vader.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

CelticPredator posted:

It’s clear that they do not want to get nuts.

They want to get nuts but in a safe, predictable way.

I'm just aghast that you don't like the film.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Much better than I expected, but it's still probably my least favorite of the Star Wars, right after Attack of the Clones. A couple of thoughts:

The worst parts of the movie were the constant cuts to side characters to talk about how cool the thing they just saw was. It's one of my movie pet peeves. If the thing on screen really was cool, you wouldn't need the characters to tell the audience! The worst offender here was AJW robot telling us how cool Qi'Ra's kung fu skills were.

The movie was much better when it had a upbeat and comedic tone than when it tried for serious romance or drama. Any serious moment was riddled with cliches and was acted with as little enthusiasm as possible. It just doesn't leave an impression. I know it's far too simplistic to just say "Lord and Miller did the funny parts and Ron Howard did the serious parts," but it did feel like the comedic bits were always cut short.

That leads to Alden Ehrehnreich's performance. It was pretty good! I didn't see him as doing a Ford impression, but he does capture Han's overall tone perfectly. He has great comedic timing, and he pulls off some jokes that would be awful in the hands of someone else (I'm thinking of "I have a great feeling about this!") He's great at acting in manic panic in the action scenes, in the same way that Ford would. It's in the more serious scenes that his acting shows its shortcomings. He and Clarke have zero chemistry and in the other serious scenes he's completely unutilized. For most of the mine scene, he's just pushing a mine cart by himself. In the train heist, he's forced to babysit Jon Favreau so that he can have the spotlight in Han Solo's own movie!

His lack of affect makes it difficult to see what we're meant to take away from the ending? Does shooting first mean that Han has learned to be merciless? He still trusts Qi'ra, so that doesn't seem to be it. He's also helping out the Rebellion by killing Beckett, so he's not a real loner either. Without some kind of impact that ties the movie together, the movie as a whole feels like it doesn't have any impact. That sense of impactfulness is really what I want out of a Star Wars movie, and it's why I don't see myself rewatching this movie.

The one scene of the the movie that I thought did have impact was the Kessel Run. That scene perfectly ties together the strengths of the movie. The action was genuinely thrilling, you felt each hit the Falcon took, the quips were on point, and it had a really unexpected resolution. If the whole movie had been more like this, it would have been great.

Finally, as a total aside, I loved the practical effects. The different droids in the slave uprising and the crime boss in the beginning were fun to watch, and it was surprising how much effort ILM put into this spinoff movie. Those effects went a long way to selling this movie as a worthwhile inclusion to the series, even if I don't think it measures up in quality.

Henker
May 5, 2009

The best part was the casual reveal that Chewie has definitely eaten humans before. Also the space WWI part. I want to see an entire movie about Imperial grunts now.

SeANMcBAY posted:

20 years from now people will remember Solo in the same way we remember the Ewok movies today.

Important question - are the Ewoks movies still canon?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Milky Moor posted:

They want to get nuts but in a safe, predictable way.

I'm just aghast that you don't like the film.

You’ll find I’m full of surprises.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I feel like there's not enough discussion here about that singing alien in a jar

second best scene of the new star wars movies after luke drinking the milk in last jedi

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I literally forgot the movie after the first 10 minutes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/solo-a-star-wars-story-han-shot-first-lawrence-jonathan-kasdan-1202812392/

quote:

The fascinating thing about an intellectual property as sprawling as “Star Wars” is how it can build on itself via commentary on its own internal lore. That’s unique, and only possible for a brand with generations of adulation behind it.

Case in point: Han Solo shooting first. When George Lucas altered the original “Star Wars” in 1997 to depict Harrison Ford’s scruffy-looking smuggler firing on the alien Greedo in self-defense, rather than preemptively dispensing with a threat, fans lost their minds. It was an affront, the neutering of a badass.

As recently as 2015, Lucas was still defending his decision. To him, Solo was a cowboy in the John Wayne mold, therefore honorable. The hero has to let the villain have the first shot. In a mano-a-mano, Western shoot-out sense, that tracks. But while Solo may be archetypal on one hand, on the other, he is a sui generis creation that fits no mold.

The new film, directed by Ron Howard and written by Lawrence and Jonathan Kasdan, aims to set the record straight once and for all. Throughout “Solo,” the eponymous space cowboy’s mentor Tobias Beckett (played by Woody Harrelson) warns him in no uncertain terms: Trust no one.

By film’s end — and after a particularly crushing betrayal by Beckett that underscores his own advice — that wisdom has finally found root. In an unmistakable moment, Solo blasts the traitor away mid-sentence.

“It’s pretty clear, we think,” Lawrence Kasdan says. “And it was a large motivation for both of us.”

Kasdan’s son and co-writer Jonathan adds that there was no room left on the page for interpretation.

“So that the actors knew, and so everyone involved knew, it was explicitly written in the description: ‘There can be no question that Han shoots first.'”

That’s some serious re-tinkering. Fans will no doubt be delighted but what did Lucas think? He certainly didn’t make the initial alteration without giving it serious thought.

“I’m happy to report, not only did George see the movie and like it before, I walked into the premiere with him and he was in a fabulous mood and he really likes this movie,” Lawrence Kasdan says. “So I have to assume that was not some earth-shaking thing for him. Or he’s let it go.”

Adds Jonathan: “Or he feels at peace with it finally.”

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I like how Lando mocks the slave rebellion during the Kessel Run despite nearly dying to try to save L3 during it.

I like how Qi'ra does like 4 heel turns in 15 mins.

I like how Han happily murders his mentor only to rush to his side and hold him as he dies.

I like how Tobias just could not possibly pretend the death of his love mattered to him at all.

Oh wait, I didn't like these things because the characterization in this movie is hot garbage

Slave rebellion was fun, Kessel Run was kinda exciting and the first heist group was OK, but Emilia Clarke can't act for poo poo and gently caress's sake why is Darth Maul in this

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
It honestly makes me pretty sad that "Chewie was once imprisoned in a dank, muddy cell and forced to kill and devour people to survive" is now canon. That's a pretty horrible tragedy to give Chewie. I wonder if he's still haunted by that time in his life.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
George Lucas finally at peace with Han shooting first

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
The sound effects really let this film down I think, I’m surprised at how weak and anemic the audio was. I’m convinced it’s part of why people are saying they found the experience a bit bland.

The train heist had almost no ambient noise, weather effects, carriages & track creaking or ship engine sounds (think of the cool popping/bursting effects in the prequels). The mixing heavily favoured music and dialogue.

Even the Mil Falcon was absent of any humming or throbbing ambience. By far the weakest audio in any Star Wars film I would say, though the score had a great choir part that came on a few times.

Has anyone seen it in Dolby Atmos, would that be different?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

lol

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ungulateman posted:

obi-wan's 'fight' against maul in rebels is ok but i'd have preferred him winning Old Ben Kenobi style rather than being better with a laser sword than the angry guy

like, have maul approach a cloaked silhouette and start monologuing, only to slowly realise it's just an empty cloak, before the ground collapses under him into a punji pit (or a baby sarlaac) and a bunch of tusken raiders turn up and shoot him to death

meanwhile kenobi is several miles away with a smile of grim satisfaction on his face. i should remember that empty-cloak trick for when i fight vader.

I can't imagine any version of Obi-Wan passing up the chance to shittalk someone directly to their face.

I'm gonna be more powerful than you can ever imagine, punk.

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.

Blast Fantasto posted:

I feel like there's not enough discussion here about that singing alien in a jar

second best scene of the new star wars movies after luke drinking the milk in last jedi

I can agree to this. Better than Lin Manuel Miranda's take on cantina music from VII

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

:big rolleyes smiley barfing up a ton of smaller rolleyes:

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
So I'm assuming that the Maul scene was basically the after-credits Marvel-like stinger for an upcoming film, except this time they did it before the credits? A possible lead-up to an Obi-Wan film?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Vinylshadow posted:

It's really frustrating that series that should've gone on for so much longer only get a five issue mini-series dedicated to them, such as Star Wars: Anakin & Obi-Wan taking place during Anakin's padawan days, three years after TPM
From a few pages ago, but I continue to sing the praises of the three (primarily) Jude Watson "young adult" book series set in the pre-TPM, post-TPM, and post ROTS eras. The second series Jedi Quest (same name as the comic series) covers Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship between TPM and AOTC.

A summary of the books in the first two series can be found on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars%3A_Jedi_Apprentice
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_Quest

As someone who grew up with Star Wars in the 80s and devoured all manner of comic books (Marvel, Dark Horse) and most of the novels up until around the Yuusov Vong (or whatever the gently caress)era, I feel that Watson's books capture perfectly the tone of the first six movies. They add depth to the characters but at a literary level suitable for say, 12 year olds (like the movies).

A shame they haven't been blessed as in-continuity but nothing in them precludes them from being so. It would be amazing if the Obi-Wan movie had flashbacks to the era and used bits from the Jedi Apprentice storyline.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Unoriginal Name posted:

I like how Lando mocks the slave rebellion during the Kessel Run despite nearly dying to try to save L3 during it.

I like how Qi'ra does like 4 heel turns in 15 mins.

I like how Han happily murders his mentor only to rush to his side and hold him as he dies.

I like how Tobias just could not possibly pretend the death of his love mattered to him at all.

Oh wait, I didn't like these things because the characterization in this movie is hot garbage

What a twist! The Kasdans would be proud.

psyman posted:

The sound effects really let this film down I think, I’m surprised at how weak and anemic the audio was. I’m convinced it’s part of why people are saying they found the experience a bit bland.

The train heist had almost no ambient noise, weather effects, carriages & track creaking or ship engine sounds (think of the cool popping/bursting effects in the prequels). The mixing heavily favoured music and dialogue.

Even the Mil Falcon was absent of any humming or throbbing ambience. By far the weakest audio in any Star Wars film I would say, though the score had a great choir part that came on a few times.

Has anyone seen it in Dolby Atmos, would that be different?

Good observation. Infinity War had a similarly bland sound mix that probably hurt that movie too. I guess big budget blockbusters don't care about sound. Maybe the IMAX screenings would have been different.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 27, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

millions of dollars spent to pat angry star wars nerds on the tummy and tell them 'no you were right all along, you know han solo better than big bad george lucas'

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sassassin posted:

I can't imagine any version of Obi-Wan passing up the chance to shittalk someone directly to their face.

I'm gonna be more powerful than you can ever imagine, punk.

Seriously, Obi-wan likes a good scrap, a good drink, and a good boast. He probably is only into celibacy because he thinks hed lose his edge otherwise.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Barudak posted:

Seriously, Obi-wan likes a good scrap, a good drink, and a good boast. He probably is only into celibacy because he thinks hed lose his edge otherwise.

in the EU obi-wan got his bone on a lot, he just kept it attachment free baby

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In the EU, the conehead jedi gets gently caress vacations back to his home planet because his species is dying out and they need all the boning they can get.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please, good people, the EU is dead and in its place is a different pile of lovely, tedious, background filling stories except they now are considered as cannon as the films.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just saw the movie. I thought it was good. Don't really have too many complaints, but I don't really have anything outstanding to say. Considering all the technical problems and behind the scenes turmoil, they still managed to pull out a decent summer blockbuster. So good for them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope the next “Story” movie continues the trend of introducing a lame unlikable droid character that gets killed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dumb question I got bc we're youtubing star war scenes before going to see the probably disappointing new one in a few hours.

Did Lucas or anyone ever actually clarify why Sheev goes from Ian McDiarmid to the melty grandma we know and love?

Some people say he got melted by Mace Windu deflecting his lightning and others say he was using dark side magic to hide his true form.

I always thought it was the former because frankly it seems like being Ian McDiarmid would still work as Emperor. Senator Sheev was not just a master manipulator but very charismatic and photogenic. The man gave a drat good speech and his wise nice grandpa look certainly helped his shtick. The Galactic Empire seems like it'd be even more stable with a publicly adored emperor who maintains the nice grandpa thing.

I guess being all melty helps garner sympathy but if he's a master dark side illusionist it seems like he'd have other ways to do that. Bodily scars, tamper with security footage, get a robo hand, I dunno. Anything but doing a 180 from what he was to being a gross cackling monster in a hooded robe.

I guess the dark side canonically turns everyone into gross cackling monsters in hooded robes so I'd buy that, but him just putting on the Ian McDiarmid face for decades and then deciding to stop seems dumb.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't think there is an official canon reason so as to let it be either one, but getting all hosed up sure as hell helps sell the whole "The Jedi just attempted a Coup, we have to kill them off" which is also what literally happened.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Alright, so, I decided to scroll back just to see what the general buzz was and I find it hilarious how many people are confused about Darth Maul.

Let me give a little rundown:

Darth Maul was established to still be alive in the season 4 finale of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. When he was cut in half by Obi-Wan Kenobi, he used the force to make himself robotic limbs. He was swept up in the garbage and sent to a garbage planet. This happened off-screen, but was implied. There, he went insane and lived off rats and had spider legs.

To explain the next part, I need to go earlier in the season. When Dooku had to get rid of his apprentice Ventress to appease Palpatine, he sought out a new apprentice from Dathomir. He received the Night Brother Savage Oppress (pronounced "Sa--Vag--O--press") and began training him. This was a plow, however, by Ventress and the Night Sisters to kill Dooku in revenge for trying to kill Ventress. When Ventress activated her sleeper agent, he instead turned on them both and ran away. He began seeking out his lost brother, guided by Talzin, leader of the Night Sisters, and a magical artifact. He eventually found Maul and brought Maul to the Night Sisters to be restored.

This resulted in him having normal robot legs.

He then went on to be a major antagonist in the show. He became deeply engrained into the criminal underworld, especially when he killed the leadership of the Black Suns in a power move. His most notable achievement being his successful conquering of the Mandalorians by challenging their leader into battle and winning. He would rule them until the end of the Clone Wars, until he was routed by a strike force led by Ashoka Tano.

Years past, and he becomes an antagonist on Rebels. He was seeking out an ancient Sith weapon to lead against the Empire. But this ultimately failed. Instead, he began focusing on training Erza Bridgers into his legacy and seeking out Obi-Wan Kenobi for a final duel.

Erza Bridger, while initially tempted by the Dark Side and training it, rejected Maul and the Dark Side. However, Erza's search for "the key to destroying the Sith" led him to Tatootine, no doubt led there because of Luke. Before anyone asks how he found Luke without finding him considering the lengths taken to hide Luke, Erza did this through a ritual that could only be performed when a Dark Sider user and a Light Side user combine their powers to see the entirety of the force: something he performed with Darth Maul's help. Moving along, Darth Maul followed him and they were both found by Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Obi-Wan told Erza that this was not his place and to focus on aiding the rebels instead. Many take this a meta-textual statement about the separation of the movies and cartoons. Don't get me wrong, though. It wasn't done with a wink-and-a-nudge, it was played very straight in a conversation and belonging and purpose and how Erza had, essentially, almost jeopardized everything by getting involved.. It's just that many fans take that discussion that way.

Maul and Obi-Wan then fought.

As you can see, the battle is done in a Kurosawa style. There is actually a lot going on which is kind of cool. Darth Maul starts off threatening with one-blade. Obi-Wan moves to form 3, the style he used mostly in the Clone Wars. Darth Maul moves to using two blades. Obi-Wan then moves to using Form 5, the style of his dead Master Qui-Gon Jin. They then go to blows and Obi-Wan very cleverly defeats Maul. Maul goes for the same head-butt-and-turn strike he used to kill Qui-Gon Jin. Go back and check the The Phantom Menace, if you don't believe me. But, Obi-Wan both anticipated and tricked Maul into making that move because he remembered seeing him use it to defeat Form 5 previously. Obi-Wan ducks and then kills Maul while he's open.

The whole thing is actually very symbolic. Obi-Wan has grown and changed and moved past himself to attain greater knowledge and wisdom. Whereas Maul has stayed the same, trapped by his past and his hate. Never growing stronger.

Maul then dies in Obi-Wan's arms. He asks if the man Obi-Wan protects is the chosen one, to which Obi-Wan confirms it. But, even in death, Maul holds on to his hate and looks forward to his revenge against the Sith through the chosen one, causing Obi-Wan to pity Maul for being consumed with anger his entire life.

And that's the end of Maul. He was buried/burned off screen. And was never mentioned again. Forgotten as a failure and a side-distraction by the heroes on their path to bigger villains such as the Emperor (for the movie cast) or Thrawn (for the cast of Rebels).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Dumb question I got bc we're youtubing star war scenes before going to see the probably disappointing new one in a few hours.

Did Lucas or anyone ever actually clarify why Sheev goes from Ian McDiarmid to the melty grandma we know and love?

Some people say he got melted by Mace Windu deflecting his lightning and others say he was using dark side magic to hide his true form.

Let me explain this confusion. Basically, it's pretty much the case the former is what they were going for in the film. But, the Old EU decided to make a whole story about Sith Alchemy and how this is how Darth Sidious always looked but he used Sith Alchemy to hide it so he could run for office and that's just how the dark side corrupted him because the Dark Side makes everyone looked hosed up and sick when you use it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Darth Maul died, that's just another member of his species in similar makeup. Y'all are racist.