Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The sound of my nightmares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are you kidding me with this final Wind Waker map?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Adventure Mode is so much better with the item card shop. Being able to just buy compasses for a token fee rather than playing with gamefaqs open is nice.

honestly just that plus them changing how they rank damage taken alone was what got me to buy this game a second time

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bosses that are completely immune to Wizzro's command grab is bullshit.

I really hate how boss fights work in this musou.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tae posted:

Bosses that are completely immune to Wizzro's command grab is bullshit.

I really hate how boss fights work in this musou.

is there any musou game where giant bosses are actually fun? i hate 'em here and in dqh1 and even the singular one in pw3 was obnoxious too

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

is there any musou game where giant bosses are actually fun? i hate 'em here and in dqh1 and even the singular one in pw3 was obnoxious too

Fire Emblem barely has any, and it's just a dps race without any annoying gimmicks.

I don't remember Gundam being too annoying but I haven't played Reborn.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Tae posted:

Fire Emblem barely has any, and it's just a dps race without any annoying gimmicks.

I don't remember Gundam being too annoying but I haven't played Reborn.

yeah but unfortunately fire emblem musou was absolute garbage

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Giant bosses generally suck in this game, and actually, anything that isn’t chewing up giant swathes of soldiers isn’t that fun. I don’t know how I feel about fighting officers in this game, I feel like the combat could be better - as it is, it’s kind of a slog.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

tithin posted:

yeah but unfortunately fire emblem musou was absolute garbage

I feel like everything about it except character/moveset variety was good to great but unfortunately that is maybe the most important thing for a musou.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Bongo Bill posted:

What's the effective way to use the Baton?

Its a crowd control tool and much better in a crowd. Three lights into a heavy to make gusts, then just a heavy to bring out the tornado to hit the gusts. Hit everyone once then hit heavy to blow it up for a second solid damage hit

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel like everything about it except character/moveset variety was good to great but unfortunately that is maybe the most important thing for a musou.

Mounts were garbage and being unable to reliably control your movements made them unfun to play

Archers were great for chewing up crowds but loving garbo at officers - unfortunately FE Musou was a game predicated on chewing up officers, not crowds.

Mages felt boring and felt like they had nothing to contribute being poor at both officer destruction and crowds

The music wasn't great

Too many fates / awakening characters (and I say that as someone who only got into the series at Awakening)

History mode felt like a poor mans adventure map mode, being both shorter and less interesting.

Buying skills was extremely grating

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

tithin posted:

The music wasn't great

Okay that I'll fight you to the death, especially after hearing these hyrule remixes.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

tithin posted:

The music wasn't great

Yeah I literally don't get how you can post something so wrong here, FEW's music was better across the board by a pretty good margin.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I didn't say it was bad but I found the hyrule music better personally :shrug:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't usually mind fighting The Imprisoned, but fighting The Imprisoned while locked in a keep is the dumbest thing ever.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

tithin posted:

Mounts were garbage and being unable to reliably control your movements made them unfun to play

Archers were great for chewing up crowds but loving garbo at officers - unfortunately FE Musou was a game predicated on chewing up officers, not crowds.

Mages felt boring and felt like they had nothing to contribute being poor at both officer destruction and crowds

The music wasn't great

Too many fates / awakening characters (and I say that as someone who only got into the series at Awakening)

History mode felt like a poor mans adventure map mode, being both shorter and less interesting.

Buying skills was extremely grating

While some are bad, a decent amount of mounted characters are actually loving great, and have some of the better movesets in the game! Xander and the Pegasus Knights particularly stand out.

Archers also have one of the better movesets in the game. Same for Mages who usually does well in both officer and crowdkilling.

Music was significantly better than HW.

Bias in the first Musou installment isn't new to any Musou, particularly focusing on small subsets of certain series.

Honestly, I think the History Mode maps were perfectly designed in length and interest, with the little histories on each and not taking such a goddamn amount of time to complete.

I don't mind buying skills though, but I can see why it'd be grating. But just about every Musou has something that could be found grating.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Is there anything I'm not trying when I can't find gold skulltulas? I know to bomb the big rocks and look along the walls for any obstacles that could be taken out with items, but can't seem to find them half the time anyway.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
Sometimes they might be up on ledges you have to use the hookshot to get up on

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

AfroGunsou posted:

Sometimes they might be up on ledges you have to use the hookshot to get up on

Also, make sure you've got your sound on (and aren't listening to music or anything). The sound is the easiest way to track them down by far.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Echo Chamber posted:

Is there anything I'm not trying when I can't find gold skulltulas? I know to bomb the big rocks and look along the walls for any obstacles that could be taken out with items, but can't seem to find them half the time anyway.

You're playing with sound on, right? When you get closer to them the spider sound gets louder and the music will fade out -- pretty tough tracking them down otherwise, but the sound cues make it pretty obvious

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

tithin posted:

I didn't say it was bad but I found the hyrule music better personally :shrug:

:psyduck:

Echo Chamber posted:

I'd definitely suggest using a guide, there's too many to go after without one.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm feeling like a god after skipping straight to Sheik's 4+ Harp lol, she's such a killing machine. Glad that one of the most fun characters to play also has the easiest super weapon to get, I'd have a hard time running around with a 4+ Tingle.

edit: seriously being able to tank Redead screams with the water shield up is such a blessing, I always forget to dodge it on my other characters now . What's the best map square for farming Ruto materials for her gold badges?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

goferchan posted:

I'm feeling like a god after skipping straight to Sheik's 4+ Harp lol, she's such a killing machine. Glad that one of the most fun characters to play also has the easiest super weapon to get, I'd have a hard time running around with a 4+ Tingle.

edit: seriously being able to tank Redead screams with the water shield up is such a blessing, I always forget to dodge it on my other characters now . What's the best map square for farming Ruto materials for her gold badges?

I can't exactly tell you a specific one but keep in mind Medli also drops ruto mats so if you can find something with both of them that would be the ideal.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I know this is the Hyrule Warriors thread, but I haven't gone back to Fire Emblem Warriors after I tried to do the map that lets you recruit Ana even through I was underlevel. It was a pain to kill anything but I did manage to beat everyone and was hitting the time limit when I beat the captain at the enemy base when the map refused to end and had another boss you need to kill appear and I ran out of time fighting them. Like why did it even have a time limit to begin with.

At least HW didn't throw 'oh here is a map where you need to be level 70' on the first drat map like FEW did.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I can't exactly tell you a specific one but keep in mind Medli also drops ruto mats so if you can find something with both of them that would be the ideal.

Ahh cool thank you! That helps, I'll poke around

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Rirse posted:

I know this is the Hyrule Warriors thread, but I haven't gone back to Fire Emblem Warriors after I tried to do the map that lets you recruit Ana even through I was underlevel. It was a pain to kill anything but I did manage to beat everyone and was hitting the time limit when I beat the captain at the enemy base when the map refused to end and had another boss you need to kill appear and I ran out of time fighting them. Like why did it even have a time limit to begin with.

At least HW didn't throw 'oh here is a map where you need to be level 70' on the first drat map like FEW did.

The original totally did. The later Adventure missions on even the first map could get pretty gnarly. I don't remember if anything needed level 70 to complete without cheesing, but some of the top row missions were rough.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ElegantFugue posted:

The original totally did. The later Adventure missions on even the first map could get pretty gnarly. I don't remember if anything needed level 70 to complete without cheesing, but some of the top row missions were rough.

I do remember it being a pain to unlock Zant. While I am level 34 with Linkle and already up in that area he was at.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

goferchan posted:

I am interested in this. How did you do it? What level was Sheik when you did it?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, all of the stuff I want to do next seems like I'm underlevelled. The last Legend mode level is pretty gnarly, I can't unlock Medli until I find a shop that has whatever I need for her search, and the first Moblin in the level for the Trident was just a bit too damage spongy to really seem like a viable A-rank.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So is he called Skull Kid because that's the name of his species or because he's the forest imp who used to wear a skull mask

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Calaveron posted:

So is he called Skull Kid because that's the name of his species or because he's the forest imp who used to wear a skull mask

Name of his species. You encounter multiple skull kids in OoT and one in Twilight Princess. There's vague lore about how adults lost in the Lost Woods become Stalfos and kids become Skull Kids who help kids but hate adults. Which fits with how they provide upgrades for kid Link in OoT and attack adult Link.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

I am interested in this. How did you do it? What level was Sheik when you did it?

Probably mid 30s? Not sure, I just know I've used her a ton since then and now she's just at 40. Abuse her water shield (do a C2 so the blue note appears below her health bar , then hit the special button) -- it creates a shield that lasts until you get hit that will absorb up to like 4 or 5 hearts of damage in a single hit and keep it up at all times so you dont fail the A-rank damage requirement because otherwise a captain will take off like half your health bar in a single hit. It's a challenge but totally doable with her as long as you have her rank 2 weapon from the campaign. The stage that gets you her weapon is pretty close to the beginning of the map, the only potentially challenging thing there is a solo Skull Kid requirement mission but I think you only need to get a C on it to progress to Sheik's weapon square so even if it's a little tedious the Skull Kid one is doable underleveled.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think the question was how did you skip to the level 4 harp?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wasted opportunity Young Link doesn’t get the razor sword or the gilded sword

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Bongo Bill posted:

I think the question was how did you skip to the level 4 harp?

It's one of the first weapon unlocks in the Koholint island map (IIRC).

It's about 6 squares from the starting block and most of the battles are fairly easy with whoever you've mained up until that point (Link with the Master sword for example).

There is one battle right before the weapon square though which requires you to use the Skull Kid and it's kinda tough. You only need a B rank to get through to the 4+ weapon square though, so it's doable with a low level SK.

While it's good, i still generally find that Link plus the master sword chews through things just as quickly.

edit: Oh, and for those thinking of trying, don't bother going for all of the myfaries. You can only keep 5 (for some reason) and you have to get rid of one if you keep collecting more. I don't even know if they contribute to your completion percentage or not.

Hell when i activate one i don't even know if it's doing its area damage thing or not so i barely use it while my overpowered link just murders everything.

Kin fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 27, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kin posted:

It's one of the first weapon unlocks in the Koholint island map (IIRC).

It's about 6 squares from the starting block and most of the battles are fairly easy with whoever you've mained up until that point (Link with the Master sword for example).

There is one battle right before the weapon square though which requires you to use the Skull Kid and it's kinda tough. You only need a B rank to get through to the 4+ weapon square though, so it's doable with a low level SK.

While it's good, i still generally find that Link plus the master sword chews through things just as quickly.

Goin for koholint immediately when I get home

quote:

edit: Oh, and for those thinking of trying, don't bother going for all of the myfaries. You can only keep 5 (for some reason) and you have to get rid of one if you keep collecting more. I don't even know if they contribute to your completion percentage or not.

Hell when i activate one i don't even know if it's doing its area damage thing or not so i barely use it while my overpowered link just murders everything.

Nooooo my fairy collection :negative: why does this game do so much stupid poo poo?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kin posted:

:psyduck: Well gently caress, does the game even tell you about this? I'm pretty sure this wasn't mentioned in the tutorial.

E: Unrelated but man I figured something that makes quizzes much more tolerable: Boomerangs. Stun that other fuckhead who keeps getting in your way while you beat on the correct guy.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Speaking of My Fairies, do they actually do anything tangible with their clothing abilities? Or is their usefulness entirely in the skills you can get by feeding them? I haven't really touched upon that aspect of the game at all because it hasn't seemed to make a difference. Maybe later in the harder maps it will but right now it sure doesn't feel like it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Your capacity of fairies goes up when you clear out the 'boss' of each Adventure Map, I'm pretty sure. I've got eleven fairies in Legends. And there is a good reason to keep collecting fairies once you've reached the cap-

If you raise a fairy to level 25 or 50, and then replace it with a new one you picked up, the fairy leaves behind a small or large 'gratitude crystal'. Gratitude Crystals are your best food source and raise all your stats by a shitton. Gratitude Crystals are probably the only way to get enough stats for the rainbow skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

goferchan posted:

Probably mid 30s? Not sure, I just know I've used her a ton since then and now she's just at 40. Abuse her water shield (do a C2 so the blue note appears below her health bar , then hit the special button) -- it creates a shield that lasts until you get hit that will absorb up to like 4 or 5 hearts of damage in a single hit and keep it up at all times so you dont fail the A-rank damage requirement because otherwise a captain will take off like half your health bar in a single hit. It's a challenge but totally doable with her as long as you have her rank 2 weapon from the campaign. The stage that gets you her weapon is pretty close to the beginning of the map, the only potentially challenging thing there is a solo Skull Kid requirement mission but I think you only need to get a C on it to progress to Sheik's weapon square so even if it's a little tedious the Skull Kid one is doable underleveled.

This is aces, thank you! Sheik is my main so I am totes trying this! I think she just hit level 30 so I can bump her up a few levels with rupees then tear poo poo APART! :black101:

I know Master Sword Link is the go to "busted af" character but I find that boring. Speaking of the Master Sword though, what are the requirements for unlocking its skills now? For the first one I would assume... Level 3 weapons for all characters? Does that include the later unlocks like Ravio, or just up to the Master Quest map?