Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
If you are capable of making the decision of when to trade heat early on for a fraction of the damage of what you would optimally get, then you probably don't need this infographic.

It's for the people who have no idea what falloff even is, and keep wondering why they do such little damage when their hit marker goes off so much in the game.

edit: Sometimes it seems like people don't even know what the number next to their selected weapon means. What do you mean weapons have ranges in this game?

Really though, I made it for me, so I could feel better about still playing and talking about this game how many years later.

Also also, if you always fire at less than half damage, and often trade with people who have longer range than you, you will always be on the losing end. Not saying you take it to that extreme, but it's a logical extrapolation. I really like playing fast ERLL mechs sometimes for this reason. People love to shoot me with their tickle beams, I don't even have to move or twist, just focus on putting all my damage on one target.

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Vorenus posted:

As terrible as that is, he has better e-stats than most goons (including me).

After seeing the builds linked in the OP, that's certainly no surprise.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Buff Butler posted:

After seeing the builds linked in the OP, that's certainly no surprise.

Eh? Is there a problem with any of the builds in the OP?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Speaking of which (I'm a loving scrub newb turd, please bear in mind), I followed the Madcat one and found I had 3 tons to spare. All the stats seem to line up so I'm perplexed.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hmm, engine size or heatsink count, maybe? Can you post a mechlab sceenshot?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

i post knowing there's something obvious and stupid i'm missing and prepared to suffer the embarrassment

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 25, 2018

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Neurosis posted:

i post knowing there's something obvious and stupid i'm missing and prepared to suffer the embarrassment

You're missing 3 Double Heatsinks in the engine.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yep, that. Depending on the rating, engines receive bonus critical space for heatsinks.

Edit: Don't feel bad about missing it. The mechlab is hideously esoteric.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
The mechlab has a very "it makes perfect sense to the ui designer, who's worked here for 20yrs" vibe.
Things that make sense to pgi really don't mean "usable" or even "vaguely comprehensible".

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

TjyvTompa posted:

You're missing 3 Double Heatsinks in the engine.

ohh! ty

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
FWIW Skippy, I have never been done wrong by your builds in the OP.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

I got curious as to what happens when you click a faction play popup while the quick play vote screen is up. I can't believe I expected anything but the result I got, which is that brings up the galaxy map and gets stuck there forever, forcing you to alt+f4 or kill the game in task manager.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Faction play is dead unless you have a premade group.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

The 10x small pulse Nova is interesting but extremely feast or famine for me. Sometimes you slip in behind a few enemies or run into someone mano-a-mano and chew through them in seconds. Other times the map has wide open 900m sight lines everywhere with the enemy team moving in a blob and you might as well not be in the game.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

https://mwomercs.com/tournaments?t=201805convxp

Looks like we got a double XP event, the best type of event.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rysithusiku posted:

The mechlab has a very "it makes perfect sense to the ui designer, who's worked here for 20yrs" vibe.
Things that make sense to pgi really don't mean "usable" or even "vaguely comprehensible".

It's 100000x better than it used to be. Stockholm Syndrome means I find it very usable.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i just got a free Nova for updating my email preferences

THANK YOU FACELESS EU BUREAUCRATS

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Any good builds for HGN-HM? Equipped it to take advantage of the base quirks. So 2x AC5, 3x MPL, 2x SRM6A.

I was thinking of a MRM/UAC10 build too.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The LRM100 Jenner IIC is a time honored tradition and I will not have its name sullied

terrorbeard
Sep 10, 2008
Can I get an invite to Word of Lowtax? I just got back into MWO after a long time away. I'm Terrorbeard in game.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Why do gauss rifles sound pneumatic

Hungry_Need_Brain
Aug 13, 2004

Crip Walker, Texas Ranger

TjyvTompa posted:

ON1-IIC-C (2xUAC/10, 3xSRM6-A, next-best brawler in the game)

Got a mechlab link for this one? Thanks!

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Hungry_Need_Brain posted:

Got a mechlab link for this one? Thanks!

ON1-IIC-C
Fully skilled out with max armor skills you can strip the legs a lot to fit 1 more ton of ammo if you want.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

You can do 4 x SRM6A and 1 x LBX20 on the other orion, I think. it's really a choice of which you prefer I suppose.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Today was a bad day for my Splatcat.
Today was a bad day for my 6xAC2 KGC-000.
Today was a good day for my 6xMLAS/2xLB10x Warhammer 6R.

What does it MEAN???

Also WTF do I do with this NVA-S?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
NVA-S

Nothing too complicated.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I run dual PPCs on mine, the Nova S is squishy so I just poptart snipe.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
So, I decided to try this game out a bit, and I'm having a lot of fun with a stealth armor 140kph (with skills) double MRM10 Commando. Probably a lovely build all things considered, but it's great for spotting, landing artillery strikes and harassing heavies and assaults. I almost never get actual kills with it (It got me the SERIOUSLY!? achievement), but generally do OK damage and piss off enemy players enough for them to expose their backs to my team just to be able to land a shot on me. Surprisingly tanky, too, as long as I don't stand still. I still die to enemy lights that can keep up with me since my aim is godawful and I can't fight them off, but them's the brakes. One neat trick I noticed is syncing up my attacks with my allies' lrm barrages, that way it takes a while for the enemy to figure out that I'm shooting them too.

My other mech is an urbie with a RAC5 and 4ersmls, and that build... actually also works? I can semi-reliably take down medium brawlers (the RAC5 seems to make players panic a lot. It doesn't do all that much damage, but it certainly evokes a stronger reaction than an equivalent dps of lasers), and does a decent job moving in for the kill once the assaults soften an enemy up (I won my hat trick achievement in it).

I can't for the life of me figure out what to do with the free Nova, though, can't seem to figure out the right playstyle. At this point, I might as well embrace the triple AMS and play support.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
The Nova has no weight saving measures, but a lot of space and hardpoints. It excels by massing many small and light weight weapons. Small lasers, machine guns, maybe small pulses and the like.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

my dad posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out what to do with the free Nova, though, can't seem to figure out the right playstyle. At this point, I might as well embrace the triple AMS and play support.

Honestly triple laser ams, six cersl and six c micro pulses with as many heat sinks as you can cram is one of my favorite Nova configurations. Hang with the murderball and provide ams cover for early and midgame then clean house when the brawl opens up (remember to turn off the ams or watch em real careful in the brawl).

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Marathanes posted:

Honestly triple laser ams, six cersl and six c micro pulses with as many heat sinks as you can cram is one of my favorite Nova configurations. Hang with the murderball and provide ams cover for early and midgame then clean house when the brawl opens up (remember to turn off the ams or watch em real careful in the brawl).

Alpha Strike'd all 12 lasers. Whoops.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Sorry! Fire the ersls first, then 2 volleys of the micro pulses - rinse repeat.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Rip clandle that burned twice as bright for half as long

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Rip clandle that burned twice as bright for half as long

Welp, now I'm naming it Roy Batty.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I love ATMs. What's your favourite/best mechs for ATMs

don't tell me not to use them please!!!

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

peer posted:

There were some ATM effort posts a few weeks back in the thread. I think they were on page 60. Probably the most germane post:

Rysithusiku posted:

Okay, so ATMs (Advanced Tactical Missiles) are clan's answer to MRMs. They're meant to be used at a shorter range than lrms, but not point blank like srms.
Range brackets are as follows (can be extended with skill tree)
0-150m: 0 dmg.
150-270m: 3 dmg per missile.
270-550m: 2 dmg per missile.
550-1100m: 1 dmg per missile.
Upsides, ATMs have a low firing arc that allows you to arc them under cover, such as hpg basement or the parking garage on crimson strait. If you can stay in your optimal damage range they absolutely poo poo damage. Per ton they are incomparable. They track sharply too so they are much more useful for hitting faster mechs than lrms (especially since you're closer to begin with).
Downsides, they're still missiles. Proper cover use or just charging you makes them worthless. They have half the ammo-per-ton of lrms and only barely more than srms. If you ever fire them outside 500m you might as well just punch yourself in the dick at the same time. Did I mention theyre still missiles? AMS is a thing. Also damage spreading.

Overall, ATMs have a very hard niche and should never ever be carried without backup weapons. The MDD carries them pretty well. There are a few mediums that carry them well at the cost of longevity (not much ammo space). There are a couple of assaults that carry them decently due to their ability to have shitloads plus backup weapons. (Pray you never get caught at 200m by an atm48 heavy laser supernova).
If you're still a relatively new player, ATMs are a hard avoid. If you genuinely feel you're good enough AND you have a decent amount of missile experience already, they're interesting and worth trying out.

Hope this wall of text helps.

One build I've seen do well (having not played it myself) is something like this: SNV-A Remember to only fire the ATMs 24 at a time, but if you get this thing in the ATM money shot zone (120-270m, I think) you can probably one shot slow lights and mediums things by alpha-ing the ATMs. ATM48 = 144 damage at once.

I'll also quote myself with this:

Marathanes posted:

One way to get your feet wet with ATMs (and my preferred mech for them at the moment) is with the cougar. It can carry 2 ATM9s, a decent number of backup lasers, ecm, JJs, and an active probe; you have some flexibility if you want bigger backup weapons by sacrificing the JJs or probe, or you can swap in a light tag.

Standard cougar advice applies - stay with the pack, share your ecm, gather locks, and don't fire the atms until you're punching 54 damage a volley (or at least 36).

Herb suggested the SCR as a medium:

Herb Dington posted:

On the note of ATMs, one of the mechs I've had fun using them on is the SCR-D. This mech used to do great as an SRM bomber, or a light-killer with streaks. Not so much anymore, since it's hit-boxes always kinda sucked, and it's a bit of a glass cannon.

Where the speed and agility of the SCR still work is a skirmishing instead of brawling playstyle. Being able to reposition quickly with ATMs is great, and the Godhand of 6 c-ersl really does the trick, both for adding some pinpoint finishing damage at your missile optimal, and for legging lights that manage to underrun you.

Max firepower, cool run, and the rest to taste. I'm currently on max armour tree, with NARC nodes and no mobility, but speed tweak can be a good move too.

As for a heavy, several 'mechs can carry 2 ATM 12s and do well in that regard, NTG, TBR, MDD, etc. It kind of depends on what you're looking for out of the 'mech in question specifically.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

peer posted:

MDD-PRIME

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
How often do things like Camo Patterns and Colors go on sale? Does MC ever go on sale? Will there be a big summer sale? I'm getting hella cbills from being a little dick-rear end backstabber recon scout Arctic Cheetah and want to buy stuff.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

peer posted:

Ohmygod Rysith pointed me at this but the Shadowcat with ATMs and a Tag is INCREDIBLY fun. Shoot scoot poptart and wear them down. Easily 1K + a game.

MASC + JJs lets you dance out of range of most enemies, and it's pretty easy to stay in that sweet-zone where you're vomiting damage at them with little to no recourse.
I even have success playing the thing in solaris - though your biggest worry there is AC2 loaded King Crabs. Most other mechs can't handle it but the ACs are fast enough to wear you down.

Focus your skills on missiles and range - range lowers your MINIMUM range on ATMs so it's not to be scoffed at.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

DarkDobe posted:

Ohmygod Rysith pointed me at this but the Shadowcat with ATMs and a Tag is INCREDIBLY fun. Shoot scoot poptart and wear them down. Easily 1K + a game.

MASC + JJs lets you dance out of range of most enemies, and it's pretty easy to stay in that sweet-zone where you're vomiting damage at them with little to no recourse.
I even have success playing the thing in solaris - though your biggest worry there is AC2 loaded King Crabs. Most other mechs can't handle it but the ACs are fast enough to wear you down.

Focus your skills on missiles and range - range lowers your MINIMUM range on ATMs so it's not to be scoffed at.

I was just going to ask for a Shadow Cat ATM build. I picked up a SNV-A, MDD-H, and SHC-H while they were on sale and I'm planning to cram ATMs into all of them.