Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

somekindofguy posted:

I can't find good content to post at the moment, so can anyone recommend any good Reality TV podcasts or recap series? I'm kind of stunned the genre really hasn't been touched upon a lot by "angry review" types, given the wealth of terrible content.

I think the kind of folks most likely to be into the angry reviewer thing are also the kind of folks who consider reality TV beneath them. Also, reality TV tends to be kind of bland and samey, so not great for a regular series.

The only examples I can think of are Jenny Nicholson's Opposite Worlds video, Ralph Sepe's Mystery Diners and ghost shows videos, and ChaosD1's Paranormal State video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

This is hella hypocritical after my last post, but man I hate that one dude's hair from Florida Georgia Line. You ain't Willie, get your half rear end braids outta here.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The Wolfe Pit is here with some delicious TGI Friday's Fully Cooked Baby Back Ribs - WHAT ARE WE EATING??

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I did a video reminiscing and playing The Sims 1. Unlike my previous La-Mulana and Dial-Up videos this one was more stream of consciousness and thus took less time to make because it was so loose. I even get into my style of play where I make 8 adult Sims and stick them in a cheap house together before the money starts rolling in.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

somekindofguy posted:

Thank heavens for passive agressiveness as well.

I can't find good content to post at the moment, so can anyone recommend any good Reality TV podcasts or recap series? I'm kind of stunned the genre really hasn't been touched upon a lot by "angry review" types, given the wealth of terrible content.

I'm not trying to be passive aggressive. I'm just shocked at the sheer amount of vitriol and hatred that some people have been clearly waiting to unleash. I've seen John called a "terrorist thought leader". Utterly false allegations that he mentally abused his wife. Developers essentially saying "He reviewed my games badly so I'm glad he's dead". People close to him attacked for mourning him (including his wife), openly mocking those that do, talking about wishing they could piss/dance on his grave, other people justifying this revelling while giving the nod at other ridiculous accusations of him being a Nazi or a transphobe or whatever...and for what? You'd think he was a dictator. Not a critic or a reviewer who happened to die at a young age. It has frankly been horrible going online the past couple of days because of it. Some of this poo poo even coming from people I used to follow and respect.

I'm sorry, but all this has had me feeling kind of low. Any talk of how some people care about media too much, laughing at their stupidity and all that just feels hollow in the light of all this. It's incredibly depressing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he sucked and it's why i made my twitter handle mocking him (he blocked me pretty much right away because he was extremely thin skinned) but it is a little weird to gloat over someone dying who wasn't a legit evil politician or something.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Kim Justice posted:

It has frankly been horrible going online the past couple of days because of it.

Hmm with lines like this maybe you should feel more sympathetic to the people bringing up TBs lovely behaviour. Since he and his fans made their lives horrible.

While I haven't been personally harassed by him/his fans, they maybe games a lot more inaccessible to me since they poisoned the discussion about high framerates in games, a tool which is very important for me to deal with my flicker/flash sensitivity, So now whenever I bring it up to devs etc. I have be careful and preface any communication with a disclaimer that I'm not one of those assholes.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

I'm not trying to be passive aggressive. I'm just shocked at the sheer amount of vitriol and hatred that some people have been clearly waiting to unleash. I've seen John called a "terrorist thought leader". Utterly false allegations that he mentally abused his wife. Developers essentially saying "He reviewed my games badly so I'm glad he's dead". People close to him attacked for mourning him (including his wife), openly mocking those that do, talking about wishing they could piss/dance on his grave, other people justifying this revelling while giving the nod at other ridiculous accusations of him being a Nazi or a transphobe or whatever...and for what? You'd think he was a dictator. Not a critic or a reviewer who happened to die at a young age. It has frankly been horrible going online the past couple of days because of it. Some of this poo poo even coming from people I used to follow and respect.

I'm sorry, but all this has had me feeling kind of low. Any talk of how some people care about media too much, laughing at their stupidity and all that just feels hollow in the light of all this. It's incredibly depressing.

The dude just passed away. It's so weird going through the previous pages or jumping on twitter and seeing some of the things being said, because you'd think people would have enough decency to wait like a month or something before mouthing off on the guy

He had flaws and did stupid stuff, most of it he owned up to and regretted during the later years of his life.He also did heaps for many indie developers ( Warframe for example would not be around if not for him) and helped jump start the careers of many people who owe a lot of their success to him.

If you didn't like the guy fair enough. He was a mixed bag and if you can't look past his shortcomings, whatever, no ones asking you to suddenly like who he was. But some of the posts I read here and on twitter are disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself if you partook in any of it. He was a games critic, not some evil dictator.

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

I think the kind of folks most likely to be into the angry reviewer thing are also the kind of folks who consider reality TV beneath them. Also, reality TV tends to be kind of bland and samey, so not great for a regular series.

I've been working on a video about My Super Sweet Sixteen with the idea of doing this and yeah, that's pretty much the case for the non-competition shows. And considering how it's no secret that every reality show uses manipulative editing in some form and "stars" actual people and not made-up characters, going full angry reviewer on these things just makes you look like a gullible idiot, in my opinion. This is especially the case with Sixteen where that is so clearly the mood they want the audience to be in. (Unless they're focusing on a celebrity or someone MTV was trying to promote's party. Those are much more flattering than the episodes focused on rando rich kids no one's heard of.) This is made worse by the fact that MTV's editors were hilariously bad at making some of their edits look organic at times. (Frankenbiting doesn't work when the two clips are of radically different sound quality, guys.) Out of the 40 some episodes I've been able to track down and watch so far, only one got past that filter in my head and made me want to guillotine a bitch. (A girl whose dad is the reverend of a megachurch franchise in Cleveland. Buddy, I've seen the Last Week Tonight segment. I know where the money for those 40-some Chanel handbags, the private jet, and that yacht came from.)

I'm also finding out that it's kind of a pain in the rear end to find usable footage of old reality shows, even the older seasons of some long running series. The networks seem to memory hole them the second they stop making money. VH1's done hundreds of the things over the years and only about 5 of them are available on Hulu et al.

Adnachiel fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 27, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
yeah, can we stop talking about how bad this dude who died from cancer is

it's just a loving rear end in a top hat thing to do, mkay?

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Oh hey new not Thundercats related Nightmind video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRLUo84TRRk.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Asuron posted:

The dude just passed away. It's so weird going through the previous pages or jumping on twitter and seeing some of the things being said, because you'd think people would have enough decency to wait like a month or something before mouthing off on the guy

He had flaws and did stupid stuff, most of it he owned up to and regretted during the later years of his life.He also did heaps for many indie developers ( Warframe for example would not be around if not for him) and helped jump start the careers of many people who owe a lot of their success to him.

If you didn't like the guy fair enough. He was a mixed bag and if you can't look past his shortcomings, whatever, no ones asking you to suddenly like who he was. But some of the posts I read here and on twitter are disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself if you partook in any of it. He was a games critic, not some evil dictator.

Do you seriously think TB or his idiot GG cronies would bother with any of this weak willed :decorum: bullshit? The guy was one of the lead faces of anti-women and anti-trans poo poo in games circles, gently caress him for that. Nobody deserves to die young from a horrible disease like cancer, but nobody should be forgiving or downplaying the disgusting poo poo he did just because some he had something tragic happen to him. Hell, just poo poo like loudly proclaiming that you're getting rid of Intel stock because they're gonna be hiring more women is bad enough before you get into the whole TB crusaders poo poo.

Tired Moritz posted:

yeah, can we stop talking about how bad this dude who died from cancer is

it's just a loving rear end in a top hat thing to do, mkay?

Hmm, yes, unlike TB who is a super good and upstanding person who definitely deserves this trend of postmortem vindication and scrubbing away the horrible poo poo.
https://twitter.com/pixelpynk/status/999871773037420544

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I love terrible reality TV, currently hooked to the Dutch version of Ex on the Beach. The whole party/gig industry around the D-tier celebs that come from them is quite interesting and I know way too much about it. I'd have plenty to say about it but my """knowledge""" is mostly focussed around the local versions I'm afraid.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Do you seriously think TB or his idiot GG cronies would bother with any of this weak willed :decorum: bullshit? The guy was one of the lead faces of anti-women and anti-trans poo poo in games circles, gently caress him for that. Nobody deserves to die young from a horrible disease like cancer, but nobody should be forgiving or downplaying the disgusting poo poo he did just because some he had something tragic happen to him. Hell, just poo poo like loudly proclaiming that you're getting rid of Intel stock because they're gonna be hiring more women is bad enough before you get into the whole TB crusaders poo poo.

Hmm, yes, unlike TB who is a super good and upstanding person who definitely deserves this trend of postmortem vindication and scrubbing away the horrible poo poo.

Yeah, that tweet that said "We lost a great thinker" about TB is still making me laugh.

e;
Saying "Well he wasn't John McCain" is great because it's making John McCain the new Hitler of apologia for dead assholes.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 27, 2018

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Do you seriously think TB or his idiot GG cronies would bother with any of this weak willed :decorum: bullshit?

Most :decorum: should be done for the sake of the moderates who might agree with leftist policies but would be put off by stereotypical angry leftist behaviour.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Film Joy's Deep Dives crew takes a look at Xanadu and comes away surprised:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1J20c6FMdw

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Not gonna argue with you on it.

If you think the right thing to do is mouth off on a guy who just died, that's on you. Most people would at least let a little time pass, so the people who are affected by the passing can grieve properly. But if you think now is the best time to let it all fly, you go nuts. Just don't expect people to think very highly of you when you do it.

I never thought the request to respect the recently passed would be a difficult one, yet here we are.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Asuron posted:

I never thought the request to respect the recently passed would be a difficult one, yet here we are.

So what part of him should we respect. What part of the views expressed publicly that he devoted his life towards espousing should we respect? Should we respect the fact that even as he was dying he still using his platform to undermine and spread anti-women and anti-trans sentiment, but overwhelmingly support pro corporate apologia?

Again, gently caress decorum. The man ruined lives, and pretending that he should be given any level of respect for that is sick.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

somekindofguy posted:

Yo dude, Reality Show Show was an Earwolf podcast by the Hollywood Handbook guys, short-lived but very funny. It only resides on Stitcher now, but it's worth a free trial or 5 bucks for a month or whatever. It's from like 5 years ago so those are the shows they talk about.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I always get Xanadu mixed up with The Apple. It’s like my mind does the Amazon arrow with weird nightmare disco cheese.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

have you watched the cannon documentary because the poo poo on the apple is great.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Asuron posted:

Not gonna argue with you on it.

If you think the right thing to do is mouth off on a guy who just died, that's on you. Most people would at least let a little time pass, so the people who are affected by the passing can grieve properly. But if you think now is the best time to let it all fly, you go nuts. Just don't expect people to think very highly of you when you do it.

Fixed your post.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You can disagree and all plenty but just maybe don't be shocked that not everyone agrees with a stance of 'well he made good review videos' should make 'he also was a huge rear end in a top hat to anyone not like him and often would get his fans to attack people he disliked for no reason' something that has to be sealed in a secret vault forever.

Like yea no poo poo he's not Steve Scalise, who's getting his pecker and balls blown off was hilarious because he's an active white supremacist controlling American politics, but if the bar is that low what even is the point of having one.

Things that own and are funny:

-Scalise getting his balls blown off and still being such an NRA slave he said 'actually guns are great' like as soon as he got out of the hospital.
-John McCain's brain being scooped out with an ice cream scoop
-Reagan died making GBS threads his pants and thinking movie scripts were real

Things that don't own but also aren't gonna be viewed as super sacred by a not-minor amount of people and maybe that's fine:

-an rear end in a top hat who a fair amount of his career was built on attacking others is dead and being called a 'great thinker' and a 'legend' who taught people about ethics.

There is a scale, but that doesn't mean it's an all or nothing scale.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 27, 2018

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

somekindofguy posted:

There's one pod called Watch What Crappens that's only possible to like if you actively watch all those Bravo reality tv shows. It's a recap show with A LOT of impersonations. I have thought about making some videos on reality tv. Like not the ones that are deemed okay to watch but the most looked down upon trash that I love.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You’d expect reality tv to eventually develop a following similar to professional wrestling, as they seem extremely similar from the outside.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

business hammocks posted:

You’d expect reality tv to eventually develop a following similar to professional wrestling, as they seem extremely similar from the outside.

in pro wrestling you get to watch the bad guy get thrown through a table, typically in reality shows the best you get is a drink toss.

That's why Real Housewives rule so hard, by the way, because they're the closest to full pro wrestling style reality TV.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

So Dan, why did you stop using the puppet in your video?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So what part of him should we respect. What part of the views expressed publicly that he devoted his life towards espousing should we respect? Should we respect the fact that even as he was dying he still using his platform to undermine and spread anti-women and anti-trans sentiment, but overwhelmingly support pro corporate apologia?

Again, gently caress decorum. The man ruined lives, and pretending that he should be given any level of respect for that is sick.

Yeah, the man was so anti-trans that Laura Kate Dale was a close associate/friend of his (and far from the only one), he blasted his audience when they gave her poo poo after she appeared on the Co-Optional, and he had someone thrown out of CoxCon for asking if traps were gay. The chuds really loved him for that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
And he also did a lot of poo poo like that toaster tweet and whined about how you can't MAKE anyone use your pronouns because of free speech and would sic his dipshit fans that he clearly didn't scold too much on trans streamers/devs and all who pissed him off because whoo boy those comments were always fun.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
When your ethics revolve around 'don't embarrass me when I'm in the room and can be blamed directly' it's not surprising when people don't believe they actually exist.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Or, you know, going on huge ranting screeds about how anti-trans jokes are good because something something censorship thoughtcrimes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
remember when IBM literally said said they were pushing for diversity and TB and his wife made a big public show of selling their stock off because gently caress that.

Normal people.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I was trying not to start a whole new page with this poo poo, but okay.

Kim Justice posted:

I can't speak to much of that, as I've been off Twitter for a while. It is very unfortunate that people feel the need to lie and attack the mourners, but who knows what some of those revelers have been through. I'm sure a lot of it is schadenfreude l, but there may be a few who've had to deal with him or his more rabid fans. Unforunately as well, I think the point someone above brought up about decorum might have some weight as well. The Big Game Thing left a trail of chaos in its wake, and it may be years more before a recovery.

Just know you're not the only one who thinks it's too soon (there's some people in the GBS thread with similar views on that). And if you've been reading Twitter/FB for extended periods, for the love of God remember to take a break.

Sorry to bag on you when you've already been bagged on several times, but several of your posts sounded like you wanted to say something but didn't. I don't know how to describe that if it's not passive agressive, but clearly you were not happy with the discussion, as you said above. I'll try not to single you out in the future. Have a nice weekend.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

And he also did a lot of poo poo like that toaster tweet and whined about how you can't MAKE anyone use your pronouns because of free speech and would sic his dipshit fans that he clearly didn't scold too much on trans streamers/devs and all who pissed him off because whoo boy those comments were always fun.

Well...you can't make anyone use your pronouns, that's kinda true. Doesn't mean you aren't an rear end in a top hat for not using them.

Look, I'm not saying the guy didn't have a very toxic fanbase - he certainly did. Almost any Youtube creator of that size does, and it's incredibly hard to manage such things (lord knows he had plenty of running battles with his fanbase over all sorts of poo poo). Nor am I saying that he wasn't argumentative and opinionated - like, that goes back to the days when he was a goon and beyond. I'm certainly not saying that you have to like the guy at all - he was in many ways quite unlikeable, and no-one but the most dedicated is going to say different. But what's been happening over the past couple of days, the examples that I've seen, is utterly trashy. What's the excuse for some of the behaviour there? We didn't like what this guy did in his life, so our response to that is...be worse?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The worst thing TB did was die because like half the threads I read can't stop talking about it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

How bout we just shut up about totalbiscuit altogether instead of dumping all our gripes with him/his fans/the haters/sjaysdoubleyous/tumblr/woke leftie twitter/shitposters/journalists/the Donald Trump administration/ the alt right/whatever all over the thread

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The distance created by the internet really does a number on people sometimes. It sounds like this guy forgot that the people on the other end of the screen from him were just as much people as he was. It’s good to not forget that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kim Justice posted:

Well...you can't make anyone use your pronouns, that's kinda true. Doesn't mean you aren't an rear end in a top hat for not using them.

Look, I'm not saying the guy didn't have a very toxic fanbase - he certainly did. Almost any Youtube creator of that size does, and it's incredibly hard to manage such things (lord knows he had plenty of running battles with his fanbase over all sorts of poo poo). Nor am I saying that he wasn't argumentative and opinionated - like, that goes back to the days when he was a goon and beyond. I'm certainly not saying that you have to like the guy at all - he was in many ways quite unlikeable, and no-one but the most dedicated is going to say different. But what's been happening over the past couple of days, the examples that I've seen, is utterly trashy. What's the excuse for some of the behaviour there? We didn't like what this guy did in his life, so our response to that is...be worse?

I think a lot of the backlash is because of how drat near canonized he's being, with everyone saying what a noble kind soul he was who basically invented long form reviews and constantly fought for the underdog (consumer, in the majority demos). Like, I have no idea who's making fun of mourners beyond literal nobodies but considering everyone is doing some big tribute to him as a bastion of gamer rights I can imagine people who were more directly affected by his toxic elements feel like going 'gently caress that'.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

business hammocks posted:

The distance created by the internet really does a number on people sometimes. It sounds like this guy forgot that the people on the other end of the screen from him were just as much people as he was. It’s good to not forget that.

Goes for a lot of people, not just him.

Thanks for the recs by the way. It seems a little limited, but a lot of the points people brought up about why reviewing reality TV regularly wouldn't work make sense.

Not to say there isn't now or hasn't been some real hot garbage out there that could be viable to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

even if he hadn't said all that dumb poo poo he wasn't particularly good at what he did and was obnoxious so i never understood how he got an audience.

it'd be like if angry joe died. i wouldn't gloat but i'd still go wtf to people acting like we'd lost some luminary.