Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

TimWinter posted:

No it was tooterfish. I read this and thought "I didn't see any spoilers" and I looked back in the thread like an idiot. Report and move on, I guess.
The "book spoiler" you complained about was me pointing out that Collateral's analysis of the Drummer airlock scene wasn't a book spoiler, because someone was saying it was.

It's the very same analysis you praised by the way, so how about you get off your high horse you loving twatmonkey?

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Lol no you idiot the analysis was good, you and the show writers both have a strong grasp on the tenuous power structures in loosely defined organizations.

I was talking about you posting protomolecule lessons from the wiki here, which includes a bunch of concepts not discussed or yet revealed in the show.

You know, "spoilers". The kind that originated from the books.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TimWinter posted:

Lol no you idiot

tooterfish posted:

get off your high horse you loving twatmonkey?
I too get super angry about spaceships

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Super interesting (and disturbingly in-depth - but don't worry, it's pretty skimmable and broken into sections and the worst of the math is behind hyperlinks to spreadsheets) breakdown/theorycrafting as to exactly why SyFy canceled the show: https://destroythecomics.com/nerd-tv-shows/quantifying-the-expanse-cancellation-diving-into-the-numbers-syfy-the-future-at-amazon/

As someone who enjoys knowing how various types of metaphorical sausage is made, I found it an engaging look at what goes into making shows like this, how it appears to compare to others in the same vein, the fact that it was likely still the best-rated/best-liked show on the network, how thin the profit margins probably were, etc.

Doesn't ultimately change the story we already know (SyFy only having first-run linear distribution rights meant the show needed to have literal gangbusters viewership to give the channel what it wanted) but worth reading anyways IMHO.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

TimWinter posted:

Lol no you idiot the analysis was good, you and the show writers both have a strong grasp on the tenuous power structures in loosely defined organizations.

I was talking about you posting protomolecule lessons from the wiki here, which includes a bunch of concepts not discussed or yet revealed in the show.

You know, "spoilers". The kind that originated from the books.
Mate, your "OH GOD BOOK SPOILING" rant at me came immediately after my defence of Collateral's post, and way before the post you're referencing here.

I might have over stepped the bounds with the protomolecule post, I agree I definitely shouldn't mentioned the wiki. But what I described is literally what happened on the screen, it's not a spoiler.

I apologise for calling you a twatmonkey, you are being disingenuous though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bitprophet posted:

Doesn't ultimately change the story we already know (SyFy only having first-run linear distribution rights meant the show needed to have literal gangbusters viewership to give the channel what it wanted) but worth reading anyways IMHO.

Yeah looks like the whole distribution deal was sort of set up to fail for Sy Fy since they only had linear live broadcast US rights and I imagine most fans of the show tend to be cable cutters.

At least with the Amazon deal it will harmonize distribution for the series for both US and international fans of the series.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Edit: nevermind

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

tooterfish posted:

Mate, your "OH GOD BOOK SPOILING" rant at me came immediately after my defence of Collateral's post, and way before the post you're referencing here.

I might have over stepped the bounds with the protomolecule post, I agree I definitely shouldn't mentioned the wiki. But what I described is literally what happened on the screen, it's not a spoiler.

I apologise for calling you a twatmonkey, you are being disingenuous though.

Oh, that was you too. Yeah, you mean this post, where you literally describe a bunch of plot directly from the book.

No, what you called me a twatmonkey for was when I was continuing this conversation:

DaveKap posted:

As much as I don't find the "Jeff Bezos is evil" chatter interesting at all, I do still think that next to Elon Musk launching rockets and Zuckerberg trying to control society, buying your favorite TV show so you can renew it is the best Evil Genius move I've ever seen.

So now that that's out of the way, I have to assume that when the dude went Sploot into the ring, that was like... the ring slowing down all inorganic matter and completely ignoring organic matter, yes? I've been going through my head trying to figure out if there's any better "separation" for why everything in and on the ship wasn't crunched except for the dude himself.

tooterfish posted:

If everything were slowed down equally, nothing would've happened to him. Ships have crash couches because acceleration isn't applied equally, as per the law of inertia.

~ snip book spoilers ~

DaveKap posted:

I was kinda hoping with all the people saying "no book chat in this thread, there is another thread for book chat" that me having fun speculating about the sploot would've made for good tv watching chatter but instead it went instantly to book posts so my apologies that half the new updates are about books and spoilers and whatever.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I sure as hell dont hope you don't mean me, talking about what just happened.

DaveKap posted:

Nope, not you.

TimWinter posted:

No it was tooterfish. I read this and thought "I didn't see any spoilers" and I looked back in the thread like an idiot. Report and move on, I guess.

You're, like, really bad at not talking about info from the books.

TimWinter fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 27, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

We can banish bookreaders to another thread and forbid spoiler tags all we want, and it still won't keep people from freaking out about potential spoilers, trailer spoilers, speculation spoilers, etc, because some goons are a bunch of paranoid neurotics about gleaning even the slightest glimmer of future information about their spaceship laser pew pew stories.

Here's my idea: people can post spoilers inside of tags within reason. If people post blatant spoilers outside of tags, report them. If people are having a massive conversation inside of tags, ask them to take it to the other thread. If someone speculates and happens to be mostly correct, don't freak out and get a mod to edit their post (ironically spoiling it for them). Most of the rest of the forums seems to be fine with this, so I don't think this is too unreasonable.

"Be cool about spoilers" goes both ways.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Fister Roboto posted:

We can banish bookreaders to another thread and forbid spoiler tags all we want, and it still won't keep people from freaking out about potential spoilers, trailer spoilers, speculation spoilers, etc, because some goons are a bunch of paranoid neurotics about gleaning even the slightest glimmer of future information about their spaceship laser pew pew stories.

Here's my idea: people can post spoilers inside of tags within reason. If people post blatant spoilers outside of tags, report them. If people are having a massive conversation inside of tags, ask them to take it to the other thread. If someone speculates and happens to be mostly correct, don't freak out and get a mod to edit their post (ironically spoiling it for them). Most of the rest of the forums seems to be fine with this, so I don't think this is too unreasonable.

"Be cool about spoilers" goes both ways.

You're not at all wrong, but goons are not remotely capable of acting in this very reasonable manner, as a whole.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Buy spoiler titles for everyone crying about spoilers.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The worst thing about spoilers is that every time someone posts one or something that could be one, there will be another long boring discussion about spoilers and what is a spoiler and those dumb babies who complain about spoilers and those dumb assholes who cant stop posting spoilers and etc etc

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

You're not at all wrong, but goons are not remotely capable of acting in this very reasonable manner, as a whole.

At some point you just have to let people occasionally gently caress up. If someone gets spoiled on something it's not the end of the world. This obsession with keeping the thread 100% airtight from spoilers does more harm than good.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The really annoying poo poo, that I've posted about before, is that bookreaders need to stop responding to speculation AT ALL. Yes, we might know more about what happened to that slingshot pilot, but when someone posts "If the ring works like X that might mean...", that's not actually an invitation for you to tell him about it, that's an invitation for other show-only people to speculate further.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

also

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm surprised how little automation we see in the expanse. One great thing about space is that it's probably one of the easiest "terrains" to have automated vehicles in, and with life support and crew areas taking up so much space and fleshbags being so unsuited to high-Gs it's weird we don't see more drone-ships and the like.

Like I get having some sort of Cant-like mothership with a small decently paid crew who are there to mostly help direct the fleet of ice-harvesting drones and keep them in good condition. I know the show really wants the belt to be this oppressed 3rd world of cheap exploited labour, but in space sending a robot/drone to do a belter's work would be much much cheaper. Automation is already such a big looming issue today, and with the like 90% unemployment on earth I can only imagine a lot of that is due to automation on earth, but we never really see it or hear about it.

If I was writing the expanse, the belter's main problem would be that in the past all the early extraction economy needed humans out there working and overseeing things, but now automation has put most of them out of work. Eros used to be the gem of the belt because its workforce had a value, but automation turned it into a poverty stricken slum. The belters should be mad that they worked to build up this economy, they sacrificed to settle this frontier, and now that the hard part is over, Inner corporations just have fleets of drone miners doing all the work. This would make a lot more sense to me.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

Now that spoiler chat is out of our system, we can just speculate on stuff at this point, correct?

If the hallucinations are a real thing and not entirely a literary or storytelling mechanic, why would Julie Mao tele-incept Miller? Didn't she not know him at all, and he was just some cop on Ceres who was tangentially related to her? Even if the protomolecule has some ulterior, not-just-eat-everything motive, why would it give a poo poo about a corrupt cop on a backwater asteroid?

And then why would Miller tele-incept Holden? I thought Miller had the same opinion of Holden as the fan base, tolerance and even mild appreciation, but it stops there.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

The shot of the ship flying along the ring of Saturn(?) was so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A8LdDqWrps&t=102s

e: also "So What?" is pretty much the best ship name ever.

bloom fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 27, 2018

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

TimWinter posted:

Oh, that was you too. Yeah, you mean this post, where you literally describe a bunch of plot directly from the book.
That's an interesting interpretation. Collateral was being accused of surreptitiously bringing up plot points from the book to make themselves look cleverer, all I was trying to say is "that's not true, because that situation is entirely new".

Explaining the physics of the rock hopper splatting isn't a spoiler either. I already admitted I shouldn't have mentioned the wiki description, but nothing in that post can't be inferred from what happened on screen and an understanding of inertia.

TimWinter posted:

No, what you called me a twatmonkey for was when I was continuing this conversation:
No, I called you a twatmonkey for haranguing me repeatedly and what I felt was a tad unjustly.

I suggest we leave it here. For the sake of thread cohesion I'll try to consider my words more carefully in the future, but I honestly think you've got a stick up your arse over nothing here.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Pull up thread.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm surprised how little automation we see in the expanse.

I think i remember an interview where the writers say that the reason there is so little automation is because they want to write a story about humans living in those labor conditions and reacting to them, and so automation would detract from that aspect.

It's one of those things that you kinda have to accept, like the magical super efficient engines, to have the story work.

Edit: It was this one, and Frank is a bit more blunt than i remembered :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6CeDizcyC4&t=3998s

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 27, 2018

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

TimWinter posted:

why would Julie Mao tele-incept Miller? Didn't she not know him at all, and he was just some cop on Ceres who was tangentially related to her? Even if the protomolecule has some ulterior, not-just-eat-everything motive, why would it give a poo poo about a corrupt cop on a backwater asteroid?

I always assumed that was just a case of a PI becoming obsessed with the person he was investigating. seeing someone who isn't really there because he was spending all his time thinking about her.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I was thinking: wanst Mei also injected with protomolecule in Io?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That was just treatment for her genetic disorder AFAIK.

Crazy doc guy and Mao were discussing turning her blue just as the Roci landed, so she was saved by the bell.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TimWinter posted:

Now that spoiler chat is out of our system, we can just speculate on stuff at this point, correct?

If the hallucinations are a real thing and not entirely a literary or storytelling mechanic, why would Julie Mao tele-incept Miller? Didn't she not know him at all, and he was just some cop on Ceres who was tangentially related to her? Even if the protomolecule has some ulterior, not-just-eat-everything motive, why would it give a poo poo about a corrupt cop on a backwater asteroid?

And then why would Miller tele-incept Holden? I thought Miller had the same opinion of Holden as the fan base, tolerance and even mild appreciation, but it stops there.

Maybe her proto ghost saw him going into her apartment or whatever that was and latched onto him.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

TimWinter posted:

I figure it has to be the proto-molecule assimilating materials to do its job rather than just breaking things down to raw materials to build with. It took apart and studied the ship that was observing it over Venus, which if it already had a plan for how to leave Venus and travel space and build a ring maybe it wouldn't have needed. Those monsters it made are still humanoid (I think the whole research on the kids and monsters was on slowing down the PMs growth not controlling the form necessarily). Could be pretty Borg-like that when it takes over stuff theres still something left buried inside it (who knows how much of the kid was left over in the change but he spoke english still).

EDIT: so maybe Julie and Miller are now Borg.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 27, 2018

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Someone just purchase spoiler banners for the Expanse

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Blackchamber posted:

I figure it has to be the proto-molecule assimilating materials to do its job rather than just breaking things down to raw materials to build with. It took apart and studied the ship that was observing it over Venus, which if it already had a plan for how to leave Venus and travel space and build a ring maybe it wouldn't have needed. Those monsters it made are still humanoid (I think the whole research on the kids and monsters was on slowing down the PMs growth not controlling the form necessarily). Could be pretty Borg-like that when it takes over stuff theres still something left buried inside it (who knows how much of the kid was left over in the change but he spoke english still).

EDIT: so maybe Julie and Miller are now Borg.

Could also have been simply analysing potential threats to the work when it disassembled she ship over Venus, we also saw humans being disassembled and analysed as well.

It's interesting that the PM was sent to the solar system before life existed here, so perhaps the molecule seemingly integrating knowledge and memories from intelligent organisms it encounters is not part of its design but more of an accident. Like it's meant to be an unthinking machine for building some sort of gateway, but it absorbed concious intelligence so now it's integrated that and is becoming concious.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

tooterfish posted:

That was just treatment for her genetic disorder AFAIK.

Crazy doc guy and Mao were discussing turning her blue just as the Roci landed, so she was saved by the bell.

Oh, I though the whole treatment thing was a lie and they were all being injected with PM from the start, Mei's friend just being in a more advanced stage of the thing

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

Also, I wonder if we'll ever see that ship that actually landed on Venus again. The one taken apart was actually the second ship to get close to the protomolecule crash site, the first did a suicide burn style landing to beat them to the punch.

:perfect:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One third Jeff Bezos jokes, one third complaining about bookchat, and one third crushing rear end to dust.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Don't fool yourself, no one itt is cool enough to crush rear end to dust.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

One third Jeff Bezos jokes, one third complaining about bookchat, and one third crushing rear end to dust.

12% posting their favorite Drummer gifs

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
anybody who gets this het up about spoilers on teevee needs to get stuffed in a locker ASAP

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

thread title

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

Oh, I though the whole treatment thing was a lie and they were all being injected with PM from the start, Mei's friend just being in a more advanced stage of the thing
Dr Strickland tells Mao at one point, (season 3 episode 5,) that he prefers to do the tests one at a time because of his limited supply of Protomolecule. So no.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

presumably he also changes the dosage or does some other SCIENCE! stuff in between each test case to improve the human consciousness' survival.

I do ponder whether Katoa's lucidity was because of anything strickland did or because the protomolecule had become more familiar with human organisms.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The one goon that was super nazi about spoilers in TV shows was Aatrek and that dude hosed little kids so don't be like Aatrek.

Also, I guess easing up on spoilers is the good thing to do as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

The one goon that was super nazi about spoilers in TV shows was Aatrek and that dude hosed little kids so don't be like Aatrek.

He just found a more effective way than Jared's method of visiting playgrounds.