Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Josef bugman posted:

I don't enjoy high school dramas or other things that are traditionally associated with V/N. I do like King of Dragon Pass, but that barely needs mentioning.

Try this one:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/477740/Zero_Escape_The_Nonary_Games/

It's a collection of two games. The first one, 999, is a brilliant thriller, like escape room mashed with Saw franchise. No high school stuff there. The other two games in the trilogy are ok, but 999 is one of the best VNs out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

I don't enjoy high school dramas or other things that are traditionally associated with V/N. I do like King of Dragon Pass, but that barely needs mentioning.

You might like Steins;Gate. Though the beginning is a bit stereotypical of a VN.

Edit: /\ Zero Escape is an even better recommendation

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

I do like King of Dragon Pass, but that barely needs mentioning.
Does KODP qualify as a VN? I suppose on a certain level it ticks off the boxes, but I think it's focus is a bit different from what's typical of that genre due to the random events and management sim stuff. I feel like it's more interested in creating a story for the player to tell others through its mechanics and how they come together, rather than telling its own pre-structured story to the player in a linear fashion. I mean, that story is still there, of course, but it mostly sits as a looming objective in the distance and people are less likely to discuss it than they are the trials and tribulations of their own personal clan or tribe.

Geez, this is a whole lot of umming and ahhing about genre definitions. I think we need to get to the proper point: Why isn't Phoenix Wright on Steam? You'd think they'd at least poo poo out a bad port of the mobile versions that traced the cool sprites into crappy "HD" Flash art or something.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Kins posted:

Does KODP qualify as a VN? I suppose on a certain level it ticks off the boxes, but I think it's focus is a bit different from what's typical of that genre due to the random events and management sim stuff. I feel like it's more interested in creating a story for the player to tell others through its mechanics and how they come together, rather than telling its own pre-structured story to the player in a linear fashion. I mean, that story is still there, of course, but it mostly sits as a looming objective in the distance and people are less likely to discuss it than they are the trials and tribulations of their own personal clan or tribe.

I know, which is part of why I like it. Also, must admit I am not a big fan of anime styled thingamajigs.

Saying that I may give some of these a look, they don't look too bad!

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 27, 2018

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Terminally Bored posted:

Try this one:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/477740/Zero_Escape_The_Nonary_Games/

It's a collection of two games. The first one, 999, is a brilliant thriller, like escape room mashed with Saw franchise. No high school stuff there. The other two games in the trilogy are ok, but 999 is one of the best VNs out there.

I bought that on the strength of the recommendations and made it halfway through the first one before I gave up. Most of the time even if I don't like something I get why others do, but this one? None of the dialogue seems to be even remotely human, and about half of it seemed to center around explaining each other the most basic things again and again. "I got it, if you turn this left, it turns left!" - "Hmm, so you're saying..." - "Yes! If you turn it left..." - "...it turns left! Great! No about this other thing?" - "If we turn it right, maybe it turns right?"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Josef bugman posted:

I know, which is part of why I like it. Also, must admit I am not a big fan of anime styled thingamajigs.

Saying that I may give some of these a look, they don't look too bad!

Try the House in Fata Morgana.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

GhostDog posted:

I bought that on the strength of the recommendations and made it halfway through the first one before I gave up. Most of the time even if I don't like something I get why others do, but this one? None of the dialogue seems to be even remotely human, and about half of it seemed to center around explaining each other the most basic things again and again. "I got it, if you turn this left, it turns left!" - "Hmm, so you're saying..." - "Yes! If you turn it left..." - "...it turns left! Great! No about this other thing?" - "If we turn it right, maybe it turns right?"

There's certainly a bit of that with puzzle solutions and anything that has to do with numbers, but there's also the fact that the game defaults to "Adventure Mode" where all the text narration is removed and much of the descriptions and whatnot from that narration is incorporated into the dialogue instead, with varying levels of smoothness.

That's the (somewhat clumsy) solution they went with since the original relied on dual screens with the narration always at the bottom.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Kins posted:

I think we need to get to the proper point: Why isn't Phoenix Wright on Steam?
Here you go.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Kanfy posted:

There's certainly a bit of that with puzzle solutions and anything that has to do with numbers, but there's also the fact that the game defaults to "Adventure Mode" where all the text narration is removed and much of the descriptions and whatnot from that narration is incorporated into the dialogue instead, with varying levels of smoothness.

That's the (somewhat clumsy) solution they went with since the original relied on dual screens with the narration always at the bottom.

Oh so they pressed a lot of prose narration into dialog? That would explain a few things.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Yo Josef bugman this is the game you want to play.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Why don't people play text adventures anymore

e: also to hell with aviary attorney those developers lied to me

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Will free weekend games still be playable if I’m in-game once they expire? I think I could beat Tyranny if that was the case.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

corn in the bible posted:

Do the Choice games count? I like some of those..

I did also buy Open Sorcery but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

corn in the bible posted:

e: also to hell with aviary attorney those developers lied to me

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, Slammed and... Choice of the Swedish-Lithuanian wars are both pretty good.

Also, by "lie to you", you mean "delayed the final ending for a few months"? Who cares to begin with, much less now that the game has all three?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Anybody playing Floor Kids? I'm having a blast with it, also i was born in the 90s so this is my poo poo

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 27, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A neat looking text adventure/cyoa - Omen Exitio Plague: "Omen Exitio: Plague is inspired by the gamebooks of the '80s and '90s, mixing the alien and horrifying universe created by H.P. Lovecraft with an original plot and characters, all guided by your choices."

I'm waiting to grab it but it looks insanely cool and good.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

quote:

$19.90

Noice.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

I liked OS a lot.

The Kins posted:

I think we need to get to the proper point: Why isn't Ghost Trick on Steam?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Really Pants posted:

Why isn't Ghost Trick on Steam?
That too! The iOS port of that was actually pretty good since most of the art was 3D so it scaled up to the high-DPI screen resolutions really nicely, so a PC port would probably look fantastic. It always, always broke with every iOS update, though, so it was probably a mess under the hood, and Capcom usually took months and months to fix it. :(

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

kirbysuperstar posted:

I play those too, I just don't like wasting my money on shite so I find it hard to know which to go for.

Choice of Heroes makes Dragon Age 2 look like Infinite Jest.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I say "on Steam" but I actually mean "on a hypothetical decent service made by people who give half a poo poo about their work"

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
A review on Catlateral Damage that made me :laugh:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Really Pants posted:

I say "on Steam" but I actually mean "on a hypothetical decent service made by people who give half a poo poo about their work"
So, on that one weird GAMING CRYPTOCURRENCY service Brian Fargo was wanking on about a while back? I wonder what happened to that, but not enough to the point where I'm willing to look it up or recall what it was called.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I did say "decent"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Really Pants posted:

I did say "decent"
Well, I mean, as long as we're dealing in fictions.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
maxed out the Spring Cleaning badge, only nets you backgrounds and a special gold feather duster emoticon.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

She Bangs the Drums posted:

maxed out the Spring Cleaning badge, only nets you backgrounds and a special gold feather duster emoticon.

"Only"!?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fallom posted:

"Only"!?
Well, I mean there's also the fun you had playing all your old games again and not just opening and closing them immediately to notch up the quest completion.

Not that I did that.

No, seriously, this event really wanted me to play Quake 2. Who was I to argue?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Well I finally beat the Downwell hard mode boss. Thanks event.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is valve gunna ever do anything about all the weird anti-LGBT Russian games that get released every week now or nah

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Do they have anime tits in them?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is valve gunna ever do anything about all the weird anti-LGBT Russian games that get released every week now or nah
are you clicking the report flag on them and checking the "Hate Speech" radio box or nah

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Kins posted:

are you clicking the report flag on them and checking the "Hate Speech" radio box or nah

I do report those games, yes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is valve gunna ever do anything

no

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Kins posted:

lol if you think valve listens to reports

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

lol if you think valve listens to reports
Wasn't the entire controversy of the last week or so rooted in them responding to reports?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

weird anti-LGBT Russian games
?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The Kins posted:

Wasn't the entire controversy of the last week or so rooted in them responding to reports?

I don't think that was ever proven? I saw a bunch of people say they maybe thought it would be that, but no actual evidence. And frankly I have a hard time believing Valve gives enough of a gently caress about quality on steam to actually pay attention to reports.

I assume steam reports automatically generate an email sent to an address that doesn't exist, which is followed by a bounceback that goes to a different address that also doesn't exist.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

The Kins posted:

Well, I mean there's also the fun you had playing all your old games again and not just opening and closing them immediately to notch up the quest completion.

Not that I did that.

No, seriously, this event really wanted me to play Quake 2. Who was I to argue?

This event really wanted me to play Peggle Deluxe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Deformed Church posted:

I don't think that was ever proven? I saw a bunch of people say they maybe thought it would be that, but no actual evidence. And frankly I have a hard time believing Valve gives enough of a gently caress about quality on steam to actually pay attention to reports.

I assume steam reports automatically generate an email sent to an address that doesn't exist, which is followed by a bounceback that goes to a different address that also doesn't exist.
So, basically, a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't situation that's led to a sense of pessimism where people immediately assume the worst and stop caring about or taking part in the process, taken advantage of by moneyed Russian interests.

Why does this sound so familiar...?