Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No one should have to endure the SW EU ever. So of course people are like WTF Darth loving Maul??? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

sassassin posted:

Darth Maul died, that's just another member of his species in similar makeup. Y'all are racist.

It's on makeup. He's a red Dathomorian Zabrak. It's just color that his species comes in. The old EU had this whole bullshit about Sith tattoos which led to really ridiculous poo poo in Legacy Comics, but Canon has it as just another species skin color.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CelticPredator posted:

No one should have to endure the SW EU ever. So of course people are like WTF Darth loving Maul??? Why?

If you've paid for a ticket to a movie, you shouldn't be expected to have to go off and pay for a novel or a comic or something to explain something you saw in the movie.

(This wouldn't be an issue if this was going to get a sequel but lol :v:)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

If you've paid for a ticket to a movie, you shouldn't be expected to have to go off and pay for a novel or a comic or something to explain something you saw in the movie.

(This wouldn't be an issue if this was going to get a sequel but lol :v:)
I remember when The Matrix Reloaded came out and there was a bunch of either unexplained or skipped-over stuff in the movie that you were expected to have watched some cartoons or played the lovely game to understand.

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
I don't think anyone's expected to run off and learn about Maul anymore than they were expected to educate themselves about who Thanos was after the Avengers. If you know about the tv shows it's a cool tie-in, if you don't it's just a fan favorite character surprisingly returning for a reason that are sure to be elaborated on in whatever future movie he actually becomes relevant to the plot in.

If this was the first time Maul showed up since TPM, there wouldn't be any expectation that this movie has to explain how he got back. The surprise of him being back at all would be enough.

Hansen85 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 27, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Covok posted:

It's on makeup. He's a red Dathomorian Zabrak. It's just color that his species comes in. The old EU had this whole bullshit about Sith tattoos which led to really ridiculous poo poo in Legacy Comics, but Canon has it as just another species skin color.

There's a guy on the jedi council in TPM with the same horns and stuff though.

Maul was a very showy dude so putting on full dramatic makeup before fights and rooftop meetings seems right up his alley.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

To be fair, a very significant portion of the fan base knew he survived from the official tv shows. But still, why the gently caress is he in this film?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

To be fair, a very significant portion of the fan base knew he survived from the official tv shows. But still, why the gently caress is he in this film?

The story group is trash and crashed headlong into the issues that plagued the EU and every other IPs expanded universe concept.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

The story group is trash and crashed headlong into the issues that plagued the EU and every other expanded universe concept.

I believe the story group is mostly comprised of the people who were in charge of continuity etc. for the EU, so it shouldn't be surprising.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe the story group is mostly comprised of the people who were in charge of continuity etc. for the EU, so it shouldn't be surprising.

Yes, also they must be reverant without understanding what that means beyond doing the equivalent of fracking for nostalgia

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Barudak posted:

Please, good people, the EU is dead and in its place is a different pile of lovely, tedious, background filling stories except they now are considered as cannon as the films.

yeah and also a bunch of bad books, comics, and tv shows :grin:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
to this day i'll defend the way Darth Maul looks. he does look heckin' cool

that first Phantom Menace movie trailer owned bones. Everything was new and fresh and you didn't know what the gently caress anything was and then bam, this dude comes out looking like the motherfucking devil and he's got a DOUBLE SIDED LIGHTSABER? holy fuckin moly i'm pumped for this movie.

and then the movie comes out and it has no less than three (3) racist stereotypes running around, darth maul is a dumb chump, movie sucks.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Galactic Empire seems like it'd be even more stable with a publicly adored emperor who maintains the nice grandpa thing.

It could be the case, Rebels hinted at it, when Erza was captured, that would seem to suggest that only the Imperial command/inner circle [ and the audience] would know the true form of Sheev, while the general galactic public's image would be a kindly, overconcerned grandpa...

I mean, otherwise why bother with that subterfuge in Rebels:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mike N Eich posted:

that first Phantom Menace movie trailer owned bones. Everything was new and fresh and you didn't know what the gently caress anything was and then bam, this dude comes out looking like the motherfucking devil and he's got a DOUBLE SIDED LIGHTSABER? holy fuckin moly i'm pumped for this movie.

and then the movie comes out and it has no less than three (3) racist stereotypes running around, darth maul is a dumb chump, movie sucks.

Yeah, if there's anything good about the TPM is the look of Darth Maul, not his character and the Podraces (since it spawned the world's greatest racing game), Darth Maul looks cool as all loving poo poo, better than Kylo Ren that's for drat sure.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kylo Ren isn’t supposed to look cool.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Solo massively underperformed. Rogue One made almost twice the money in it's 3-day weekend as Solo and 50% more even if you include Solos 4-day weekend.

And before you retards start crying about how the numbers aren't bad; Yes, it will turn a huge profit and overseas will probably be huge. But that doesn't change the fact that this is a Star Wars movie and it barely broke 100 million in a 4-day weekend.

CelticPredator posted:

Kylo Ren isn’t supposed to look cool.

In his mask and awesome cape and 3 pointed lightsaber? No... ofc not.

Trump fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 27, 2018

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Kylo Ren has good hair and a cape and a scar. Darth Maul is like, what, an evil clown with bad teeth? That's not cool.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Kylo Ren is easily EASILY the best thing about the new trilogy

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

adam driver is better than cool, he's hot

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Solo was very dope.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Trump posted:

Solo massively underperformed. Rogue One made almost twice the money in it's 3-day weekend as Solo and 50% more even if you include Solos 4-day weekend.

And before you retards start crying about how the numbers aren't bad; Yes, it will turn a huge profit and overseas will probably be huge. But that doesn't change the fact that this is a Star Wars movie and it barely broke 100 million in a 4-day weekend.

:shrug: Who cares? My entertainment -- though I was mostly neutral on this -- isn't based on box office performance. If that were the case, I'd hate a lot of my favorite movies.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

:shrug: Who cares? My entertainment -- though I was mostly neutral on this -- isn't based on box office performance. If that were the case, I'd hate a lot of my favorite movies.

There is no need to defend "enjoyment" of a work against charges of box office failure. What matters is the merit of the work in question.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hopefully it makes them rethink putting out a new Star Wars every year until the sun burns out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They can probably keep up an annual schedule if they make it a Christmas-only thing. I reckon this'll put them off any plans they may have had to start doing two movies a year, which is probably for the best.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Covok posted:

Alright, so, I decided to scroll back just to see what the general buzz was and I find it hilarious how many people are confused about Darth Maul.

nobody's "confused". dude got cut in half and he fell down a shaft. you don't survive that. it's dumb they brought him back.

Mike N Eich posted:

correct.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 28, 2018

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Hopefully it's the thin end of the wedge to bring back even more implausible dead characters. Only when anakin comes back can the endless trash truly begin

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mike N Eich posted:

Yeah Darth Maul what a chump, only killed one Jedi master.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

sassassin posted:

Yeah Darth Maul what a chump, only killed one Jedi master.

Qui Gon was a Jedi Master the same way Wimp Lo was a martial arts expert in Kung Pow; the Jedi Council clearly trained him wrong on purpose, as a joke.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Adam Driver is cool as hell. Kylo Ren is a weirdo who is un cool, but an amazing character who I love.

I think he’s my favorite Star Wars character of them all.

Covok
May 27, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There is no need to defend "enjoyment" of a work against charges of box office failure. What matters is the merit of the work in question.

The movie is pretty neutral. The more I think about the more I think it was just okay. I think their biggest mistake was bring this out in a summer of big movies. You have Avengers Infinity War, Deadpool 2, Jurassic world, Incredibles 2, Ant-Man and the wasp, and that's just the ones I can think of. This would have done fine in December when it would be the only Big Show on the Block, but it's going to just get destroyed when it's legs get pulled out of it by another Disney movie.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

so how mad were people in this thread that Solo is literally 100% about slavery and in fact explicitly has a droid rebellion

Covok
May 27, 2013

grieving for Gandalf posted:

so how mad were people in this thread that Solo is literally 100% about slavery and in fact explicitly has a droid rebellion

Why would we be mad?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

i think people would need to see the movie first

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
the better question is whether cocaine is making a resurgence in hollywood (or did it ever go away)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mike N Eich posted:

And Brutus is an honorable man.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Solo was better than I expected tbh.

And it had by faaaaaar the best alien designs of any Disney Star War

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

It’s pretty messed up that wanting equal rights is used as a punchline multiple times in the movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevin Palpatine posted:

the better question is whether cocaine is making a resurgence in hollywood (or did it ever go away)

Well, it was one of the half-dozen drugs found in Carrie Fisher's system after her death...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

Timby posted:

Well, it was one of the half-dozen drugs found in Carrie Fisher's system after her death...

good point, although I meant more the people that write and/or greenlight this stuff