Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Why don't people play text adventures anymore

e: also to hell with aviary attorney those developers lied to me

Who is still making high profile ones? Last time I followed Emily Short a few years ago she was burned by iOS upgrade that killed a Roman game I really wanted to play and nothing else came from that company. Aside from yearly competitions I just don't know who is releasing the big titles anymore.

Looking forward to this years IFComp. I've got a fun idea that's been rattling around for too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Kins posted:

So, basically, a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't situation that's led to a sense of pessimism where people immediately assume the worst and stop caring about or taking part in the process, taken advantage of by moneyed Russian interests.

Why does this sound so familiar...?
lol yes, its the public thats to blame

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

The Kins posted:

Well, I mean there's also the fun you had playing all your old games again and not just opening and closing them immediately to notch up the quest completion.

Not that I did that.

No, seriously, this event really wanted me to play Quake 2. Who was I to argue?

There were a number of tasks that wanted me to play Half-Life: Blue Shift, so I did, for about half an hour. Then I uninstalled the game once I hit the third platforming section that involved jumping onto Half-Life ladders, because I don't think anyone has the patience to deal with those that much.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Kins posted:

Wasn't the entire controversy of the last week or so rooted in them responding to reports?

only in as much as idiots on 4chan thought that with no evidence

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

She Bangs the Drums posted:

maxed out the Spring Cleaning badge, only nets you backgrounds and a special gold feather duster emoticon.

The level 3 badge also tops off at a whopping 500 XP, if you still care about your Steam level.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

John Murdoch posted:

The level 3 badge also tops off at a whopping 500 XP, if you still care about your Steam level.

does that or any of the spring stuff matter at all? beyond needing a larger friends list

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Well every 10 levels increases your booster pack drop rate. And there's the mystery item. Otherwise, no.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This thread noticed that a fundamentalist christian group was celebrating the anime ban. This sounds more credible than the sjw menace that reddit was blaming.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

This thread noticed that a fundamentalist christian group was celebrating the anime ban. This sounds more credible than the sjw menace that reddit was blaming.

I really doubt that group actually caused it. It's far more likely Steam just did it randomly for no reason.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

al-azad posted:

Who is still making high profile ones? Last time I followed Emily Short a few years ago she was burned by iOS upgrade that killed a Roman game I really wanted to play and nothing else came from that company. Aside from yearly competitions I just don't know who is releasing the big titles anymore.

Looking forward to this years IFComp. I've got a fun idea that's been rattling around for too long.

It's a very niche genre, there's Twine but you'll have to look for recommendations from people who regularly use it.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

I really doubt that group actually caused it. It's far more likely Steam just did it randomly for no reason.

part of the effort to get that app approved by the itunes store, is my guess

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
How do you get Talos to give you hints?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

so in each of the three hubs there's a semi-secret area that has a messenger's tomb in it. solve the puzzles around the tomb and you unlock the messenger............ for one hint. access the hint by using the shrine in each puzzle, you've probably seen them.

messengers are consumable. you can get three messengers across the entire game. that means you can only ask for hints a maximum of three times, after solving three (sometimes annoying and involved) puzzles to unlock the hints. and sometimes the hints don't even help.

it's dumb

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Do the Choice games count? I like some of those..

I did also buy Open Sorcery but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Open Sorcery is definitely one of the best text adventure games made recently and I look forward to the sequel Sea++

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rain World: climbing the Wall is bullshit and not in a fun way. Most of the game is "here's a difficult area, you've got several paths, open-world, survive, explore!!" and while there are tough gauntlets they've never been this long or reliant on lizard-rng-ness. It's the first case in the game where I've felt that something is genuinely bullshit and it doesn't seem like I have any other paths I can take?

*Yes I know about using spears to create makeshift ladders.
**Yes I've tried swimming past leeches in a certain underground area but there is more than one way to get there.
***I even did this super long jumping-puzzle/crawl down to a totally dark area so I've done gauntlets before.

It's the Chimney Canopy writ large and I'm. Very frustrated.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

You type the name of the puzzle into Google and/or YouTube or you hit Shift-Tab and click on Community Guides.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

dmboogie posted:

so in each of the three hubs there's a semi-secret area that has a messenger's tomb in it. solve the puzzles around the tomb and you unlock the messenger............ for one hint. access the hint by using the shrine in each puzzle, you've probably seen them.

messengers are consumable. you can get three messengers across the entire game. that means you can only ask for hints a maximum of three times, after solving three (sometimes annoying and involved) puzzles to unlock the hints. and sometimes the hints don't even help.

it's dumb

Well I already thought it was when the game gave me an arcane response to asking for help, but now I definitely won't bother with that, thanks.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Rain World: climbing the Wall is bullshit and not in a fun way. Most of the game is "here's a difficult area, you've got several paths, open-world, survive, explore!!" and while there are tough gauntlets they've never been this long or reliant on lizard-rng-ness. It's the first case in the game where I've felt that something is genuinely bullshit and it doesn't seem like I have any other paths I can take?

**Yes I've tried swimming past leeches in a certain underground area but there is more than one way to get there.
***I even did this super long jumping-puzzle/crawl down to a totally dark area so I've done gauntlets before.

How did you get to The Wall? From the Chimney Canopy or from the Underhang? Because I think going up The Wall from the bottom is an optional challenge. Sorta. There's a neat thing at the top of The Wall, and there's also a very tricky maneuver you can do to sequence break and get to an important location from an unintended direction. I managed to fight my way up that lizard hell after dying endlessly, but I couldn't figure out how to do the maneuver.

Otherwise, there's a karma gate halfway through The Underhang, and that's the intended route. Note that I don't think you can really get back into The Underhang from The Wall; there's a big 4-screen room with a column in the middle and a shelter in the bottom-right, and I don't think there's any way to get to the upper-right pathway, unless maybe with a squid or worm or something. So, basically, you don't have to climb up The Wall, since it's not actually part of the main intended route.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
If you're going Chimney Canopy -> Wall, that's probably the more difficult way to go in that direction. The game is set up that you're instead 'supposed' to go through a totally different gauntlet (ending up in Underhang) that starts deep in Shaded Citadel.

e: it IS possible to go wall->underhang through that wide screen, but you have to use a thing.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

StrixNebulosa posted:

Walls are made to keep people out.

But seriously, you can make it up but it's kind of one of the few linear regions, as in you're gonna be going through it in a certain direction (climbing down.) and there's not much reason to try it in the reverse. IIRC, there's another path around the base of it if you want to keep going to that general direction, I think it's beneath where the gate you came through is. I /believe/ going that way is possible for new players but if one of the other RW players in the thread knows it's not then listen to them

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

FreeKillB posted:

e: it IS possible to go wall->underhang through that wide screen, but you have to use a thing.

I don't doubt it, but I just remember trying to find a way up there over and over and feeling deep regret in the end. Maybe I should've went out to get an animal friend. I think in the end I teleported.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pigbuster posted:

How did you get to The Wall? From the Chimney Canopy or from the Underhang? Because I think going up The Wall from the bottom is an optional challenge. Sorta. There's a neat thing at the top of The Wall, and there's also a very tricky maneuver you can do to sequence break and get to an important location from an unintended direction. I managed to fight my way up that lizard hell after dying endlessly, but I couldn't figure out how to do the maneuver.

Otherwise, there's a karma gate halfway through The Underhang, and that's the intended route. Note that I don't think you can really get back into The Underhang from The Wall; there's a big 4-screen room with a column in the middle and a shelter in the bottom-right, and I don't think there's any way to get to the upper-right pathway, unless maybe with a squid or worm or something. So, basically, you don't have to climb up The Wall, since it's not actually part of the main intended route.

Knorth posted:

Walls are made to keep people out.

But seriously, you can make it up but it's kind of one of the few linear regions, as in you're gonna be going through it in a certain direction (climbing down.) and there's not much reason to try it in the reverse. IIRC, there's another path around the base of it if you want to keep going to that general direction, I think it's beneath where the gate you came through is. I /believe/ going that way is possible for new players but if one of the other RW players in the thread knows it's not then listen to them

Oh thank god I was beginning to consider breaking my keyboard after another round of tries. I'm leaving and exploring elsewhere, thanks!!!!!

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

I don't doubt it, but I just remember trying to find a way up there over and over and feeling deep regret in the end. Maybe I should've went out to get an animal friend. I think in the end I teleported.
Actually I misread you. The room you're referring to can be crossed without anything that isn't nearby, I'm pretty sure. I've watched a streamer playing hunter go wall->underhang several times that way.

e: It's certainly possible to go up the Wall, but it's very much designed to be descended instead of ascended, and at the very end you can get stuck in theory if not enough spears spawn. (Requires 2 spears unless you can do a very fancy trick.)

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 28, 2018

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
e: double post

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

CJacobs posted:

Unrelated to the current discussion, just wanted to give my kudos to Valve for their intuitive integration of Dualshock 4 support. Not sure how the Xbone controller support is, but with the DS4, you have to hit the PS button three times to connect it to or disconnect from Steam.

Semi related, does anyone know if there's a quick way to switch an Xbone controller from Bluetooth to console mode? I could swear I saw on a Microsoft page somewhere that it was hold the guide button and press B or something but I'll be damned if I can find anything and I want to save the literal seconds from resyncing it each time I want to change platform

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh thank god I was beginning to consider breaking my keyboard after another round of tries. I'm leaving and exploring elsewhere, thanks!!!!!

Godspeed, slugcat

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

That dude's game naming..er, game, is on point.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

That dude's game naming..er, game, is on point.

Yeah, she's real good at that. If you haven't tried it, she has a game on her homepage that is free called 16 Ways To Kill A Vampire At McDonalds and it is real good and neat because it is such a short title and some of the methods have multiple ways to accomplish them and there are some fun unlockables and it's just an all around neat little game.

http://abigailcorfman.com/Home/Vampire

I can't remember what her username here is though, I know she had an account for years but iirc her first post ended up being the thread she made advertising Open Sorcery.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

CJacobs posted:

Unrelated to the current discussion, just wanted to give my kudos to Valve for their intuitive integration of Dualshock 4 support. Not sure how the Xbone controller support is, but with the DS4, you have to hit the PS button three times to connect it to or disconnect from Steam. This is clever because it means I can keep it synced to my PS4 (since to use it you hold down the button) while also having it synced to my PC via bluetooth. Thanks Valve.

uh you and i seem to have different settings going on. my ps4 turns on with any press of the ps button. my ds4 turns on and steam catches it with a single press. i couldnt find the default in "turn off controller" setting so i bound it to holding the share button

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is there a controller battery indicator anywhere btw? didnt see one on the overlay

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
So a few days ago Destructive Creations released their new, historic RTS Ancestors Legacy which seems to have turned out pretty well and from having been in the multiplayer beta can say plays like a mixture of Company of Heroes's scale and mechanics mixed with a little bit of Total War's army composition/melee combat. I really enjoyed the beta, want to play it some more... but I wasted my money embarking on the Disgaea 5 disappointment ship :downs: Instead, and considering Steam is currently under hot water thanks to that upcoming school shooting game I decided to play Destructive Creation's first (and currently heavily discounted) game: Hatred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gcmgG7ej_I

Hatred is also a historic game, based on daily life in 21st century america, and was a pretty big controversy magnet way back when it was released. It's the kind of game that could be described as a "psycho simulator" much like Postal before it (the first one specifically) and follows the steps of hilarious cartoon person Not Important, also known officially as "The Antagonist": He wears trenchcoats, has long, greasy black hair, hates everyone and begins the game by declaring that he wants everything dead (including himself). Thankfully Not Important is magically proficient with every weapon known to man and can, in fact, heal his wounds by executing other helpless people and thus armed with these abilities our hilariously mean protagonist heads out to cleanse the world of humans beings or something.

It's pretty decent. It is the dumbest, most obvious, heavy-handed and self-deprecating parody of reality anyone could have come up with and if you ever overheard kids on a playground talking about how cool it would be to blow up Ms. Stevenson's with a missile, you might have just overhead Hatred's design process. That said the guns are really punchy, the animations are visceral and the destruction is pretty eye-catching. It's really fun, at first I thought it was not really the kind of game that you binge on because the levels are pretty large and admittedly really samey but the wave based Survival Mode they patched in after launch is far more frantic and sort of arcadey in a "one more try" kind of way. Pretty difficult too, even the main campaign on the easiest difficulty has some questionable difficulty spikes that can catch you off guard but the Survival Mode is both fairer and tenser given that you recover way less health per execution.

I'd say it's worth two bucks. Just be mindful that it seriously tries to be pretty edgy so it might not be to everyone's taste. In my opinion though it's almost like a very deliberate, knowingly dumb edgy. Like the protagonist is a movie villain without a script and just goes around doing whatever, trying his best to come up with one-liners (spitting out some gems like "gently caress yoooooou" and "I think at the next stop there's a nice blood bath. I mean, will be.") and bumbling his way through implausible situation after implausible situation until you get an ending so absurd it's kind of magic. Also kind of magic is the fact that the game got mods and while the modding scene never really took off, there's a couple interesting mods for converting the game into third person, first person as well as giving it color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvIIkBQh8hg

It's entertaining. Maybe not as fun as Postal 2's multitude of zany weapons and objectives but it's pretty interesting seeing a modern version of the first Postal and especially interesting seeing how pretty much the same game caused so much controversy twice.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
That's mostly since the Hatred devs went around spouting white supremacist rhetoric and stuff, yes

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, she's real good at that. If you haven't tried it, she has a game on her homepage that is free called 16 Ways To Kill A Vampire At McDonalds and it is real good and neat because it is such a short title and some of the methods have multiple ways to accomplish them and there are some fun unlockables and it's just an all around neat little game.

http://abigailcorfman.com/Home/Vampire

I did actually! It was good fun.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

corn in the bible posted:

That's mostly since the Hatred devs went around spouting white supremacist rhetoric and stuff, yes

Also their other other game is literally a "Gun down slavering Islamic Hordes before they despoil the purity of Europe" simulator.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jagged Jim posted:

Also their other other game is literally a "Gun down slavering Islamic Hordes before they despoil the purity of Europe" simulator.

Lol, the achievement for clearing the game is, uh, something else.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Lol, the achievement for clearing the game is, uh, something else.

Well share it with the class.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Crusade Complete

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hatred is "okay" for maybe the first two levels but the difficulty spikes to a near impossible level. It took me hours to get through the military base and I had to employ boring hit and run tactics to do it. The final level is just a slog through awful level design.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
He looks like Nathan Explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011