Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

khwarezm posted:

This whole conversation is pissing me off because we're talking about this horrible monster Totalbiscuit in his capacity as what? Some guy on Twitch? On Youtube? With a Twitter account? You'd swear to god this was Henry Kissinger being acclaimed by the media from what you're reading here as opposed to some bozo on the internet, but no, here we are, literal life-ruiner Totalbiscuit, can't even wait a loving month after he straight up dies to tear into him because, look! He said bad things on Twitter!

That's like saying "This guy only said things on the internet, it's not like that matters to anyone's real life". Like that the internet and real life are different or distinguishable in the year 2018.

Guess what, popular internet people who say insane poo poo attract other crazy internet people who use their word as gospel, and when TB does big public 'all of you go attack this person' poo poo, they use that as a guideline and hound people constantly. We have had people in this thread talk about how TB sic'd fans on them, and time and time again we see the crazy GG enablers pull this poo poo without a single consequence, while their fans track down people's names, jobs, personal information, whatever, and use that to attack them. And you're saying that that doesn't matter because "it's on the twitters, it doesn't matter!"

So, yes, if you want to play :decorum: games with it, let's talk about what difference it makes to wait. People are talking about him right now as being a special luminary promoting tolerance and whatever other postmortem bullshit people spew, so it is absolutely within people's rights to get the narrative back on track to the things he actually did. And those things he did led to people being horribly abused by his community.

Edit:

Junpei Hyde posted:

Curse of the moon owns.

Also no more TB chat. Please.

I spent a while typing that bit up, so sorry, I didn't catch this bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

https://twitter.com/remembrancermx/status/999825419204415488

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also the idea that TB genuinely thought 'it's about ethics' would mean he's so profoundly stupid it's still hilarious he's being called such a brilliant guy. Like, he had tons of victims of his own fan mob explain the situation and he no poo poo said stuff like 'well those death threats aren't legit, you're still alive'.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Jesus Christ shut up already, quit trying to get the last word in.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's an interesting topic, sorry.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Leal posted:

Jesus Christ shut up already, quit trying to get the last word in.

You know, this is the internet critic discussion thread so I don't think we should have to stop talking about this.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Have you heard of jokes at any point in your life.

I've got a sense of humor, I laugh at Tony Danza

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

khwarezm posted:

You know, this is the internet critic discussion thread so I don't think we should have to stop talking about this.

of all the threads this dumpster fire has wheeled through, yea this is kinda the literal exact one for it

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

khwarezm posted:

The mod

Junpei Hyde posted:

Curse of the moon owns.

Also no more TB chat. Please.

Said otherwise. Ya'll got your last licks in too so the other guy didn't get the last word, let it go already.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And every time, I wonder why content producers ever stick around here instead of cutting their losses.

So you're all terrible. Here's a new Game Maker's Toolkit looking at combat systems.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Leal posted:

The mod

Said otherwise. Ya'll got your last licks in too so the other guy didn't get the last word, let it go already.

Fine, unless Junpai Hyde says I can continue I'll leave it.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

And every time, I wonder why content producers ever stick around here instead of cutting their losses.

So you're all terrible. Here's a new Game Maker's Toolkit looking at combat systems.

Beats me, I should make like Max Payne and quit while I'm still behind.

My boi DJ Slope has a new KICKSCAMMERS out and also appeared in a video for DidYouKnowGaming, he's been doing bits. But we're getting a little ahead of ourselves so let's go back to the beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlYR8ht9yVs

And at the risk of bringing up ANOTHER potentially controversial personality but I really hope in a totally non-controversial way, drat has Boogie lost a lot of weight. Like really, he's doing super well

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

OK, just to be super clear, the topic is done. I will probate for it. Stop.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kim Justice posted:

And at the risk of bringing up ANOTHER potentially controversial personality but I really hope in a totally non-controversial way, drat has Boogie lost a lot of weight. Like really, he's doing super well
Losing weight is hard so good for him.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's rare and refreshing to see good coverage of what makes a good combat system. I mean, I don't think I learned anything from it personally, but for newcomers to the discussion, I think this hits all the high points. Usually I see videos like this and it's complaining about how cancelling and combos and whatever are the worst things ever put into combat systems.

That said though, some of the terminology he went with is kinda 'eh' but it's good enough and I guess I can kinda get why he went with it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

somekindofguy posted:

I can't find good content to post at the moment, so can anyone recommend any good Reality TV podcasts or recap series? I'm kind of stunned the genre really hasn't been touched upon a lot by "angry review" types, given the wealth of terrible content.
I've not listened myself, and I'm sure it won't fit the 'Angry review' mould at all, but Rose Buddies, Griffin Mcelroy's show about The Bachelor, is the only Reality TV podcast I'm even aware of.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

somekindofguy posted:

I can't find good content to post at the moment, so can anyone recommend any good Reality TV podcasts or recap series? I'm kind of stunned the genre really hasn't been touched upon a lot by "angry review" types, given the wealth of terrible content.

RalphTheMovieMaker has a few recap videos looking at Ghost shows, Bigfoot shows and Mystery DinersCHARLESSTYLESMYSTERYDINERS

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

show is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qectRXY6vGE

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I watch the channel of this guy named Jim Gisriel. Recently he did a video on Marcia Lucas, famed editor and ex-wife of George Lucas. In this look into the elusive figure, Jim tries to piece together a career of a woman that doesn't appear a lot in memoirs and doesn't give out many interviews. I've never been a non-believer in the legend that Star Wars was a movie that was created in editing but this video illustrates just the kind of problems that the movie had in development and how editing and editors like Marcia Lucas saved the project.

Did this guy seriously do a "this show is so bad I MIGHT JUST KILL MYSELF" gag? Where's this guy from, Channel Awesome?

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 27, 2018

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

FoldableHuman posted:

The rewards at first were those kinds of intangibles like "traction" and "identity" and to that degree it was worth it. "Talking box" left more of an impression than "guy who talks about movies but doesn't scream and shoot a toy gun and actually tries to delve into how and why things end up being the way they are" which, in the environment of 2011 was pretty valuable especially since my tech sucked and delivery was so often sub-par. It's worth noting that the puppet, despite the fact that it was a lot of work, still solved a lot of problems with my tech as it was at the time. It allowed me to just read the script instead of trying to memorize or read-without-looking-like-I'm-reading while using my laptop webcam, and I didn't need to worry about covering the entire timeline with other visuals.

Of course it also means that I now have a pile of popular videos that are extremely discontinuous with my current videos, so I don't *regret* it, but I also kinda wish I had magic powers and could just make those videos better.

In a way, it kinda is an interesting point on how much one applies to a certain face for a youtube series. Whereas someone like Nick Nocturne's avatar, if he goes on with that Patreon Poll promise, is to put a cat head mask and some handpaws, possibly a long sleeved getup for some live action scenes, Foldy would be akin to having to put on Hogger for every video.

I refresh once and boom, speak of the devil, new Night Mind video!

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Mr Phillby posted:

I've not listened myself, and I'm sure it won't fit the 'Angry review' mould at all, but Rose Buddies, Griffin Mcelroy's show about The Bachelor, is the only Reality TV podcast I'm even aware of.

I'll second Rose Buddies, it's a pleasant podcast but still pretty funny. It also highlights the reason that there's probably not a ton of reality show coverage. After covering it for a while it's painfully obvious how they script the seasons and it starts to make it hard to get invested in the show. With the Bachelor/Bachelorette it started to be really hard to like the week to week drama when you figured out that "oh, she's just the second attempt at a villain, I bet she's gone next week" and eventually gross stuff surrounding the show starts to weigh it down, which is what took out Rose Buddies.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

RalphTheMovieMaker has a few recap videos looking at Ghost shows, Bigfoot shows and Mystery DinersCHARLESSTYLESMYSTERYDINERS

Dunno if it was posted, but Jenny Nicholson talks about Opposite Worlds which is a pretty nightmarish reality show.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Zedd posted:

I saw an Idea on twitter (I think) last week that sounded like an awesome concept.
Part 1 of 1 : Media that planned set up a franchise and failed.

Unironically would like to find out more about this sort of thing. I mean, the one that immediately comes to mind is The Mummy with Tom Cruise & that whole Dark Universe that didn't go anywhere. I've been listening to Dead Pilots Society and I'd like to see somebody review TV pilots that weren't picked up.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Yvonmukluk posted:

The Mummy with Tom Cruise & that whole Dark Universe that didn't go anywhere.

Supposedly, they're actually still trying to make this work, lol.

I also think it's a good idea for a video series though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Dark Universe is now 2-for-2 on aborted starts, it was originally supposed to start with Dracula Untold back in 2014 and that only made $56 million domestic so *thhhhhhpt*

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Alaois posted:

The Dark Universe is now 2-for-2 on aborted starts, it was originally supposed to start with Dracula Untold back in 2014 and that only made $56 million domestic so *thhhhhhpt*

I'm honestly kinda sad they keep loving it up, it would rule if they were competent.

But that's also true of the DC movies and welp.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm honestly kinda sad they keep loving it up, it would rule if they were competent.

But that's also true of the DC movies and welp.

The best thing about Dracula Untold is that it had reshoots done to work it into the Dark Universe, and they wanted Luke Evans Dracula to cameo in The Mummy, and then when they were actually starting to promote the Mummy Alex Kurtzmann completely disowned the movie and said it wasn't canon

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Alaois posted:

The best thing about Dracula Untold is that it had reshoots done to work it into the Dark Universe, and they wanted Luke Evans Dracula to cameo in The Mummy, and then when they were actually starting to promote the Mummy Alex Kurtzmann completely disowned the movie and said it wasn't canon

Aw that sucks. I haven't seen either movie yet but I like Luke Evans. :(

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zedd posted:

I saw an Idea on twitter (I think) last week that sounded like an awesome concept.

Watch_dogs, woof

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Watch_dogs, woof

Watch_Dogs 2 got made, and somehow got good reviews!

I have no idea why!

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I've been playing 2, and I've been enjoying it more than the first. It helps that the MC of 2 isn't Aiden, the white breadinest dude to live going through the most white breadinest story that's ever existed. Farting around with drones and the rc cars been pretty fun.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Alaois posted:

I have no idea why!

Yeah but they were setting up the dull as poo poo protagonist of the first game to be like this incredibly cool and iconic character with his stupid trench coat and baseball cap ala the assassins in ac but then quietly dropped that with 2
Granted I know he still cameos in 2 but his involvement is minimal compared to how previous assassins always showed up in different ac games

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
In Watch Dogs 1 you're a psychotic white dude who keeps putting his family in danger so that he can keep murdering people based on computer statistics that predict they're going to do a crime, but he's also trying to stop the bad guys who are doing the same thing, and then at the end he becomes essentially a fascist surveillance state personified superhero.

Watch Dogs 2 has you play a black guy who's been profiled out of society by an the algorithm of the first game, joining a group of idealistic hacktivists who (mostly) nonviolently try to take down the crypto fascist Sillicon Valley CEO guy who runs the profiling system.

It's not perfect, but basically everything about the second game is like a direct refutation of the first. Even the hacking system gets expanded, instead of 'Press q to hack' every hackable device (and there are more) has like 4 different things you can do to it, as well as more global abilities you can use. Hell you can even complete most missions without stepping foot inside the enemy area if you use the drone/RC car and get creative.

So not only is the actual gameplay a lot better, the story framework around it is now actually fun and not completely stupid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's entirely possible to play WD2 nonlethally legitimately (ie; doesn't negate it in cutscenes or "KILL THESE PEOPLE NOW!!" moments). Ubisoft made it even easier to do by adding a stun shotgun and assault rifle.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's entirely possible to play WD2 nonlethally legitimately (ie; doesn't negate it in cutscenes or "KILL THESE PEOPLE NOW!!" moments). Ubisoft made it even easier to do by adding a stun shotgun and assault rifle.

until the final mission of the game and have to play as Wrench with a grenade launcher

I just found absolutely every aspect of the writing in WD2 completely and utterly insufferable, and more than anything else, wickedly cynical and forced. I actually respect Watch_Dogs more than 2 because at least they tried to tell a serious story with a serious main character. They hosed it up spectacularly, but at least they gave it a shot. Watch_Dogs 2 feels like it's leaning on irreverence to get away with incredibly lazy writing.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kim Justice posted:

Beats me, I should make like Max Payne and quit while I'm still behind.

I don't even produce content, and I question why I continue to follow and post in this thread.

"Turn around, walk away, blow town. That would have been the smart thing to do."
"Guess I wasn't that smart."

Alaois posted:

I have no idea why!

I played WD2 just recently, and I really liked it. I didn't play the first one, but WD2 seems a lot more fun or bright with its content. It also seems like it focuses more on the perils of surveillance in the digital age (though it does feel a little weird since it's a game made by Ubisoft).

EDIT:

Alaois posted:

until the final mission of the game and have to play as Wrench with a grenade launcher

It's difficult, but I think you can sneak through without casualties (can't remember if you still get access to the stun-gun or not).

Interestingly, when I finished the game, I found that there wasn't an achievement for doing a non-lethal playthrough, which I was trying to do (and mostly succeeded with).

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 28, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zedd posted:

BUBSY

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I feel like a “stun assault rifle” would probably be lethal anyway.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Don't worry that you just brutally brained that guy with a weird billiard ball on a rope, he ain't dead its fine, its fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Calaveron posted:

Watch_dogs, woof
Which is somewhat ironic since it was built on the grave of the Driver franchise.