Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah Trump's not a fascist if he were fascist he'd be trying to be some sort of "strong man" threatening to jail the free press while using his state media to spread lies, certainly nothing like that is going on.

Or running a special police that exists solely to round up and abuse a specific minority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

blue squares posted:

Or running a special police that exists solely to round up and abuse a specific minority

Listen it's not like they are flat out handing captured children to sexual predators or anything, there's no reason to be getting aggressive with them.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

blue squares posted:

And surely having constant self-fellating, dogwhistle-filled rallies in non-campaign years is something normal, totally-not-fascist presidents do

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

Advocating for violence to solve problems makes me upset as a gay person so diff strokes for diff folks

good thing the rights we have were never gained through any violence whatsoever no siree bob

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

wtf does being gay have to do with one's stance on violence

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh, sorry, I forgot Stonewall meant I have to personally be okay with violence my bad

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

imho there's a big diff between what was happening to our community then and fighting back against that, and punching people who are just saying dumb things fwiw

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I love this thread now

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

esperterra posted:

imho there's a big diff between what was happening to our community then and fighting back against that, and punching people who are just saying dumb things fwiw

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-hatecrime-fbi/u-s-hate-crimes-rise-for-second-straight-year-fbi-idUSKBN1DD2BA

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My enjoyment of Serena getting shot is entirely contingent on my assumption that that scene took place after the Sons had begun gaining power, and specifically had "bought" the schools pursuant to Emily's flashback scenes.

If that scene took place at a time when nobody knew who the Sons were and she was basically just being Ann Coulter, then no, we probably should not be shooting Ann Coulter.

Yet.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
nah i'd be chill with ann coulter/tomi lahren/etc. getting shot tbh

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
its crazy that so many people in the thread for the loving handmaids tale adaptation in the year 2018 are pulling "so much for the tolerant left" bullshit. like holy poo poo how many levels of ahistorical liberal nonsense do you have to be on to think killing nazis is bad.

Kanine fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 28, 2018

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

imho there's a big diff between what was happening to our community then and fighting back against that, and punching people who are actively committing hate crimes against us and other minorities while the government helps them

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

nice merton

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

esperterra posted:

nice merton

lol

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
honestly by the time we get to the point where most spineless liberals who go "i dont like violence" are ready to actually do anything it'll be too late for them to help

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Good thing you are making a real difference by throwing an internet tantrum at people who probably agree with you on most issues. Fight the power bro.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

veni veni veni posted:

Good thing you are making a real difference by throwing an internet tantrum at people who probably agree with you on most issues. Fight the power bro.

dear somethingawfuldotcom today i learned being slightly annoyed at liberals in tviv is throwing a tantrum

i mean i do literally fight the power by helping organize with the iww and anti-fascist groups in dc but go off

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

blue squares posted:

Fascists also never argue in good faith. Nor do most conservatives.
Most people, most of the time, do not argue in good faith. That's not unique to fascists or conservatives.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
im surprised when people act like im unreasonable for wanting to respond in kind to people who would gladly see me put in a gas chamber and whose predecessors did it to my great grandparents and other family.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Most people, most of the time, do not argue in good faith. That's not unique to fascists or conservatives.

I mean it's a specific strategy rather than just being a douche. There are articles about it

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

blue squares posted:

Fascists also never argue in good faith.

Fascists never argue at all. When people argued against Mussolini he didn't try to reason with them. He had them shot.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Kanine posted:

honestly by the time we get to the point where most spineless liberals who go "i dont like violence" are ready to actually do anything it'll be too late for them to help

The ironic thing is these are the same people who latched onto Offed as their fictional Yassss Kween.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
fascism (we can say totalitarianism in a more generic sense) is a deliberate attempt to collapse society and the state into an indivisible, ideologically-driven, monolithic, whole. trump doesn't have an ideology. he just has random chauvinistic gestures. he attacks the press and then gives them exclusive scoops. he race baits and then fails, perhaps even deliberately fails, to build the wall. he uses the justice department to attack sanctuary cities but then systematically sabotages and undermines the guy (jeff sessions) supposed to do it because of his own earlier incompetence.

anyway the tv show is ok. but i'm growing sick of the underlying fever swamp of political ideological brinksmanship that these and other kinds of media apparently flourish on.

Zane fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 28, 2018

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Yeah, it should be a fun, lighthearted romp about sexual servitude in a theocratic nightmare state, why drag politics into it?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
if you use an allegory to inform your political orientation, but it is a flawed, or over-determined allegory, then you won't make good political judgments.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The message I read out of that episode is that the assassin who shot Serena should have aimed for the head.

Ofglen's got the right idea, make loving sure

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

PostNouveau posted:

The message I read out of that episode is that the assassin who shot Serena should have aimed for the head.

Ofglen's got the right idea, make loving sure

The guy looks like Tim Tebow so it would make sense that he had bad aim.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh man this episode is already off to a great start

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
okay so yeah that episode was amaaaaaazing. that ending was beautiful (the sharing of names part I mean)

not totally on board with where they're going with the Serena plot tbh

precision fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 30, 2018

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

precision posted:

okay so yeah that episode was amaaaaaazing. that ending was beautiful (the sharing of names part I mean)

not totally on board with where they're going with the Serena plot tbh

It was inevitable. She never wanted Gilead to go this far and now she's fighting back.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
People chatting about episode 7 being out. According to the wiki, it airs tomorrow. What's happening? Leaks?

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
It releases 12AM EST on Wednesdays.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Watching this season while pregnant myself has been....intense.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Alterian posted:

Watching this season while pregnant myself has been....intense.

My wife and I were laughing so hard during the yoga scene we had to pause it. June's shitlist is identical to my wife's, #1 feet swelling like balloons and having to wear orthopedic grandma shoes and #2 disagreement on how to stack dishwasher.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
dishwasher manuals usually have a little drawing on how to load them, hth

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

idg how that bomb killed more handmaids than commanders. Sure, we saw there were some handmaids inside on the second floor, but that bomb went off right in the middle of the ground floor where all the commanders were sitting

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

datajugend posted:

dishwasher manuals usually have a little drawing on how to load them, hth

We're not having this discussion again.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Wafflecopper posted:

idg how that bomb killed more handmaids than commanders. Sure, we saw there were some handmaids inside on the second floor, but that bomb went off right in the middle of the ground floor where all the commanders were sitting

yeah i just figured gilead executed a bunch of handmaidens on the down-low for international and domestic sympathy. "evil terrorist bombing kills alot of innocent civilians" conspiracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This season got good. I wish it hadn't taken 5 drat episodes though.

So Nick's just, like, magic I guess? He can get commanders arrested for treason now?

• Locked thread