Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

If you think Najimi is male or female or something in between you've missed the point and should instead be talking about how Manbagi is a great friend to Komi and the best addition to the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Darox posted:

If you think Najimi is male or female or something in between you've missed the point and should instead be talking about how Manbagi is a great friend to Komi and the best addition to the cast.
I mean. Yeah. I was more curious of what the original text said in that one panel since it was so out of place.

And yes, Manbagi is extremely good. She's totally going to get shot the gently caress down by Tadano and then Komi will realize more than just her has an interest in him, though.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, you're right. I suppose I more meant the series handles a gender ambiguous character way better(most of the time) than I've seen in other series, the kamabakka kingdom thing was just what immediately came to mind since they brought them back in the last handful of chapters, and it's a particularly grotesque example.

yeah fair it's an easy example, just saying komi is better than that doesn't tell me if komi is good because there's a lot of room for bad stuff between that and where I'd personally rank komi.
I don't have an idea in mind for a najimi focus arc i just like the character a lot and wish they had more characterization + I've liked most of the other focus arcs and trust the author to do something good with theirs.

skaianDestiny posted:

Najimi could have been done better, yes. Them and Yamai (more so her) are what I can tell would be the main caveats to recommending this series to everyone.

Najimi's honestly what sold me on the manga

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Najimi is the second best character behind komi, and also kind of the driving force behind nearly every event in the series. They rule.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Agronox posted:

Back in chapter 11:

Meanwhile, two chapters earlier:

So, yeah. Najimi is Najimi.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh yeah, I wasn't saying it couldn't be handled better, I was just doing the annoying "on the other hand..." thing.

Sorry.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Binged through this last night, it is very good. The He/She thing is annoying as hell, and clunky to read.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Comey-san Can't Communicate

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Comey-san Can't Communicate

Holy poo poo

Remember that time Comey tried to hide from Trump by blending in with the curtains? Total 100% legit Komi move

And of course he got loving spotted when he got giant panicking owl eyes

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Torquemadras posted:

Holy poo poo

Remember that time Comey tried to hide from Trump by blending in with the curtains? Total 100% legit Komi move

Uh....

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Torquemadras posted:

Holy poo poo

I have been waiting so long to be able to make this joke.

EDIT:

It's true!

quote:

"But as he told me the story, he tried hard to blend into the background and avoid any one-on-one interaction. He was wearing a blue blazer and noticed that the drapes were blue. So he stood in the back, right in front of the drapes, hoping Trump wouldn't notice him camouflaged against the wall.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 29, 2018

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

people have talked about it enough i decided id just check the raws wrt to pronouns

anyway, i could only find two examples to compare against the raws, and in both cases the he/she/it was a translator liberty. japanese pronouns aren't exclusively gender neutral like some were claiming (彼女/kanojo can be used for she/her and 彼/kare for he/him) but these aren't used too often and in the cases I found they used こいつ (koitsu) and あいつ (aitsu) which are casual gender neutral pronouns basically meaning this guy and that guy resp. its possible they're extrapolating from something the manga does somewhere i didn't look but im not going through the whole thing.

anyway this has been cake flexing his japanese knowledge on you all, peace

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This manga is good and I will be posting here. Komi and manbagi are best girls.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
makeup manbagi > no makeup manbagi

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
manbagi is an artist bullied into conformity by peers who don't share her genius

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 29, 2018

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All Manbagis are good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would not want to have an eye poked out by a unicorn sticking out of someone's hair tho.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Clearly the best result from the Komi/Chadano/Manbagi triangle is a threesome.

A awkward, blushing threesome.

Prove me wrong.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Excuse me, let's not lewd the komi-san cast. :colbert:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That's Yamai's job.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
post your non main komi-san ships itt

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Najimi x Komi

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
you just said non-main

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Najimi cannot be shipped because the childhood friend always loses*.

*Unless it was forgotten that they were a childhood friend, but that does not apply to Najimi.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Captain Invictus posted:

Excuse me, let's not lewd the komi-san cast. :colbert:

Who said anything about lewding? I just want domestic polyamory.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

you just said non-main

I mean the "canon" ie Tadano Komi, unless that;s the joke in which case I agree

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Komi will marry her cat plush.

Najimi is such a social chameleon they are whatever gender will enable them to have the most friends at any given time.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ninja dude/chuuni girl, and they go on to found a ninja assassin clan

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Tadano x Katai ...

... oh. Never mind.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Any time I think about Yadano's name, I chuckle a little bit when I remember one of my friend's in Tokyo and the way she says "Yaddaaaaaa..."

This comic is good. :kimchi:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

DisDisDis posted:

post your non main komi-san ships itt

Komi's Mom x Komi's Dad

They're the best.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Mirage posted:

Tadano x Katai ...

quality ship right there

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Raws are out.

It's another Komi-bro and Tadano-sis chapter.

GET DUNKED ON

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like how tadano and his sister aren't very similar, but get similar results anyway

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm reading this comic and it is good; the Yamai portion people mentioned almost crosses over into being funny just because it's so incredibly bizarre and off-tone compared with everything else. Like there's just this short "actual crazy person literally kidnaps Tadano" arc randomly in the middle of this school comedy series.

edit: Her brother is the Persona 5 protagonist when he was younger, I think.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 30, 2018

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Looking back Old!Najimi was almost a different character.

I'm glad the author dropped this aspect of their character.

Though I like Najimi's gender being Najimi, the headcanon that it's just a brother/sister pair where they switch off going to school and managing the friend network got a chuckle out of me.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
hundred percent do not remember that lol

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

DisDisDis posted:

hundred percent do not remember that lol

Was like, the first 1 or 2 chapters they were introduced in.

En Family Mook
Apr 29, 2017

Agari was actually weirdly horny like that in the early chapters too and basically had a total character revision some point after the Yamai chapters. I defo get the sense that from like chapters 10 ~ 27 the author was still kinda trying to figure out the overall tone for side characters before settling down on weird and quirky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Agari's the masochist dog lesbian right? never noticed that she changed tbh.