Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Acuna might be OK. :unsmith:

I don't know what exact connections this guy has besides working for Univision - and he's the first verified account to tweet any news - but hopefully this does mean actual good news.

https://twitter.com/bvenezolano/status/1000901434257428480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Acuna being okay after that is all the evidence I feel like baseball fandom should need as far as evidence that the Braves are God's chosen team this year imho

divx
Aug 21, 2005

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Acuna might be OK. :unsmith:

I don't know what exact connections this guy has besides working for Univision - and he's the first verified account to tweet any news - but hopefully this does mean actual good news.

https://twitter.com/bvenezolano/status/1000901434257428480
Looks like he confirmed it himself :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/JTBaseballNews/status/1000908578457206784

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

my god, if Acuna ends up alright, no biggie after that, just lmao wtf

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Sydin posted:

Oh god why did I just watch that :stonk:

I hope he's okay, yikes.

I wasn't gonna watch the clip, but then I couldn't resist out of morbid curiosity. I had your exact reaction.... :psyduck:

I was thinking that it kinda reminded me of what Harper did last year (and it didn't turn out too bad.)

New Concept Hole posted:

It was extremely important to leg out that single at the cost of the rest of his season #hustle

Bench the lazy bum! :bahgawd:

Popete posted:

Kyle Schwarber tore his ACL and then won the World Series the same year, so...

Yeah but Acuna is no Beefy Lad.... :colbert:

Niwrad posted:

Cubs starting Heyward again against a lefty. See how many games Joe can get the Cubs back in the Central before he plays his best players.

FTFY

New Concept Hole posted:

Giants are desperate for offense at 2B, with Hansen and Panik being hurt, and Kelby's offense looking even worse this year

To be fair, who needs "range" or "agility" when you can block balls with your girth?

Niwrad posted:

Schwarber, Almora, and Zobrist/Happ in RF. This shouldn't be that difficult for Joe. Heyward has been one of the worst players in baseball the last 3 years.

Even without Ben or Ian, put Kris in right and Tommy on 3rd. Or Willson in right and start Gimenez behind the plate. Or put Carl Jr. in the field. There's literally no other lineup that's worse in terms of production at the plate.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
How the gently caress do you possibly come out of that without an exploded knee

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Yeah I was listening to the radio broadcast and they sounded like he died and then when he got up it was like Jesus personally lifted him to his feet. Then watching it later looked even worse. I'm assuming "all good" means 10-day DL minimum cause I don't want to see him on the field for a while.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Dutchy posted:

Every Sunday teams should have to assign positions based on drawing from a hat

we call this move "The Jim Tracy"

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

He's flexible because he's younger than Bartolo Colon's career.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

whoa

https://twitter.com/Cut4/status/1000853469350146048

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://twitter.com/BarryBonds/status/1000615505328193536

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Barry Bonds hit a rice ball off of Ken Griffey Jr. at BottleRock. There isn't a metaphor in that sentence.

https://twitter.com/miichellie/status/1000623961070190597

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So Darvish is having an MRI on his sore tricep Tuesday. That sounds bad.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Epic High Five posted:

my god, if Acuna ends up alright, no biggie after that, just lmao wtf

Remember when it looked like Doug Mientkiewicz broke his neck on Mike Lowell’s thigh but ended up with a concussion and a neck sprain instead of, like, being dead?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm starting to get the feeling the Cubs chose poorly with Darvish over Arrieta.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Kirios posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling the Cubs chose poorly with Darvish over Arrieta.

Yeah, kinda, and it's a thing that's been pretty obvious to fans as well. Jake was offered the same contract as Yu and he refused it, though, so it's not simply about one being chosen over the other by the team.

I'd be cool with both Darvish and Arrieta over Chatwood, though!!! :toot:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Let us take this Memorial Day to commemorate the events of 20 years ago.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xi7IPZAcP78

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Oh, Pudge's son, pitcher Dereck Rodriguez, (inevitably D-Rod) got called up by the San Francisco Giants.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjT_f50Deo9/?utm_source=ig_embed

I'd like to think Pudge told him, in the way that fathers do, of the horrors of catching and to do anything else on the field except squat like a crazy person behind the plate.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Russell Martin is starting in left field today .... okay

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, kinda, and it's a thing that's been pretty obvious to fans as well. Jake was offered the same contract as Yu and he refused it, though, so it's not simply about one being chosen over the other by the team.

This has been denied by both sides.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Russell Martin is starting in left field today .... okay

The ultimate utility player?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

There’s no escaping the incessantly repetitive MLB.tv commercials. Probably not even if you go to hell.

1 The DirectTV black dude commercial uses an ear destroying klaxon which not coincidentally is the same horn sound the US Marines played at monster volumes in Panama to get Noriega to stumble mindlessly from his hidey hole. Nothing can redeem this monstrosity.

2 Charge it to the Game is well produced but I had to look up the phrase “charge it to the game” because I wondered if this was a credit card commercial but it wasn’t. I think their target audience is watching another sport because it has English sub-titles for mom and dad. I don’t think this is mom and dad’s favorite commercial.

3 The What's in your Wallet beer girl is really cute. Like really, really cute. I don’t mind this commercial. Can she do color announcing?

4. Verlander’s nose goo commercial is thankfully short but leaves me wondering if he could have made more money pitching Pepsi.

5. There’s a “no, not that leap, THAT leap” ad for somebody called Mophie, which would be a good baseball nickname. I don’t know what they are selling.

Those are the main ones. Is there some kind of marketing dogma that values strapping people to a chair, forcibly wiring their eyelids open and playing the same thing over and over again?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

YeahTubaMike posted:

The ultimate utility player?

He is going to be transitioning into a utility role for the 2019 season. The Jays team is looking very nebulous for next year so they're going to be playing him outside of C as much as they can.

....Is what Fuckin' Pat told me throughout the Philly series on TV, anyways.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Pancakes posted:

Let us take this Memorial Day to commemorate the events of 20 years ago.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xi7IPZAcP78

There needs to be an addendum to the new IBB rule that if the bases are loaded you can't just signal and you have to throw the four balls while the opposing team's mascot blows an airhorn in your ear.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

the popes toes posted:

There’s no escaping the incessantly repetitive MLB.tv commercials. Probably not even if you go to hell.

1 The DirectTV black dude commercial uses an ear destroying klaxon which not coincidentally is the same horn sound the US Marines played at monster volumes in Panama to get Noriega to stumble mindlessly from his hidey hole. Nothing can redeem this monstrosity.

2 Charge it to the Game is well produced but I had to look up the phrase “charge it to the game” because I wondered if this was a credit card commercial but it wasn’t. I think their target audience is watching another sport because it has English sub-titles for mom and dad. I don’t think this is mom and dad’s favorite commercial.

3 The What's in your Wallet beer girl is really cute. Like really, really cute. I don’t mind this commercial. Can she do color announcing?

4. Verlander’s nose goo commercial is thankfully short but leaves me wondering if he could have made more money pitching Pepsi.

5. There’s a “no, not that leap, THAT leap” ad for somebody called Mophie, which would be a good baseball nickname. I don’t know what they are selling.

Those are the main ones. Is there some kind of marketing dogma that values strapping people to a chair, forcibly wiring their eyelids open and playing the same thing over and over again?

I believe Mophie is a phone case that also charges your phone, but they completly destroy the phone battery since there no way for the phone to not be plugged into the case.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kirios posted:

Arrieta's been a bit lucky this year. His K/9 is way down.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Bumgarner struck out 8 of 12 batters in his first rehab start and is lobbying the team to let him make his next start in the majors. If so he'd start on Friday.

We miss you, angry redneck man.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

Arrieta's been a bit lucky this year. His K/9 is way down.

Dude, just the other day you were saying that Theo hosed up and should have kept Arrieta.

the popes toes posted:

I never thought I'd yearn for the return of that phone commercial from last year of the fathers talking to their sons.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1001153148076118017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Timby posted:

Dude, just the other day you were saying that Theo hosed up and should have kept Arrieta.

I would rather have Arrieta for 3 years than Darvish for 6.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Acuna's knee is made of rubber. I don't know how after watching the video he didn't blow his knee to pieces.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

I'm less afraid to watch the video in which he injured himself now, but I'm still afraid.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A charmed season for the braves indeed

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Also said he could be back by June 8

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Pirates broadcast just announced that this is the 2,500th Pirates vs Cubs game, first MLB matchup to reach that total.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
What are you guys complaining about mlb.tv commercials watching through because I usually am going through a browser on a PC and never get any

I also just checked on my iPhone in at-bat and I havent gotten any there either

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 28, 2018

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Struggling to understand how Acuña didn’t tear something on that injury. Wow.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

fast cars loose anus posted:

What are you guys complaining about mlb.tv commercials watching through because I usually am going through a browser on a PC and never get any

I also just checked on my iPhone in at-bat and I havent gotten any there either

I think adblockers, if you are running any, work for mlb.tv commercials. I never get any on desktop where ublock is running but I haven't setup anything on ios so I get ads *all the time* there.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Mike Montgomery has allowed zero baserunners through three innings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Der Meister posted:

Struggling to understand how Acuña didn’t tear something on that injury. Wow.

IIRC everyone thought Harper blew up his knee when he hyperextended it too. Maybe that type of injury can look worse than it really is. Every injury is different but Bryce missed 6 weeks with his.

• Locked thread