Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Need to find something that will provide adequate sustenance for the Doctor Who marathon. Anyone know any 100 tacos for $100 offers going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ooh, I like that.

https://twitter.com/doctorwho_today/status/993871798407172099

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Box of Bunnies posted:

Need to find something that will provide adequate sustenance for the Doctor Who marathon. Anyone know any 100 tacos for $100 offers going on?

When that episode came out that probably would've been a far deeper cut, wouldn't it?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If the show had gotten a 27th series back in 1990, this was one of the designs floated as the new TARDIS interior

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

If the show had gotten a 27th series back in 1990, this was one of the designs floated as the new TARDIS interior

Oh yeah, I know that, but not that big and expansive. No spiral staircase here:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

Haha, that would've been fun; with Eighth Doctor Richard Griffiths, of course.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Haha, that would've been fun; with Eighth Doctor Richard Griffiths, of course.

They’d have had to pull the K9 trick and cut away every time he got in and out of the TARDIS.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

This is lovely.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Love the color scheme

Very warm and inviting

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Wow, that's gorgeous

Wheat Loaf posted:

When that episode came out that probably would've been a far deeper cut, wouldn't it?

It was early '96, so the tv movie was a few months away. But apart from that it would have been pretty deep into the show's cultural irrelevance, yeah.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

This is lovely.

Clearly very heavily inspired by the TV movie's TARDIS but with enough of its own thing going on. I like it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Clearly very heavily inspired by the TV movie's TARDIS but with enough of its own thing going on. I like it.

Oh yeah, easily an early version of it that evolved over time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, it's a lovely hybrid between the classic and the TV movie, I really dig it. Especially the "floating" console.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m really digging that “floating” console

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The really cool thing about the time we live in is that lots of people are going to that image and make more cool drawings of it, and when they post them somewhere, it is likely to spread everywhere, including this very thread.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:siren: Up to 50% off Jago & Lightfoot audios at Big Finish! :toot:

Use code FOREVER at checkout.

EDIT: talking of Big Finish, just picked this up:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 25, 2018

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Listening to Blood of the Daleks. Only got up to the first part and cracked up at the Dalek Supreme warming up to ”the Doctor MUST BE EXTTTTTTTracted for trial” and then having to physically choke back the urge to start screaming exterminate.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Okay, can someone help me out here with the Eight Doctor BigFinish stuff? I'd stopped after Dark Eyes 4. It looks like it then goes into Doom Coalition 1 - 4. Where does it go from there? The Time War Series 01? Ravenous 1?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Mortanis posted:

Okay, can someone help me out here with the Eight Doctor BigFinish stuff? I'd stopped after Dark Eyes 4. It looks like it then goes into Doom Coalition 1 - 4. Where does it go from there? The Time War Series 01? Ravenous 1?

Ravenous is the direct followup to Doom Coalition and is the "current" Eighth Doctor era, yeah.

The Time War sets are further on in the Doctor's life once the war is in full swing and will presumably eventually lead off into Night of the Doctor

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Chokes McGee posted:

Listening to Blood of the Daleks. Only got up to the first part and cracked up at the Dalek Supreme warming up to ”the Doctor MUST BE EXTTTTTTTracted for trial” and then having to physically choke back the urge to start screaming exterminate.

Davros did the same in "Davros"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I did get the next J&L on sale (I'm up to like S8 now) but I also dipped into River Song today.

She's kinda a No Fun Nancy at least in her first few eps, eh? "Woe is me, I must suffer and I can never cry!"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Astroman posted:

I did get the next J&L on sale (I'm up to like S8 now) but I also dipped into River Song today.

She's kinda a No Fun Nancy at least in her first few eps, eh? "Woe is me, I must suffer and I can never cry!"

Coming from someone who really didn't like River in the tv series, I feel she gets better in the audios as it goes along. (Also thought she was great in Doom Coalition) But I remember thinking she was oddly stilited in her first few episodes - she does loosen up though - the last boxset she was in I had a blast.

Speaking of, I finally got around to listening to UNIT: Cyber Reality - I like their take on the cyberman voices - they purposefully tried a weird amalgamation of the 80s style tone, the 60s sing-song pitch, and the current series filter. It's kinda neat.

The one problem I have is that the threat of the cybermen completely dissipates when the Master shows up, because he's such a force of nature. But enjoyable, nonetheless, and it's nice to see Kate and UNIT not acting like complete idiots.

I'm undecided on the latest monthly one; Lure of the Nomad. Spoilers ahead the twist that the companion is actually the antagonist, and has been since before the start of the story, and it's not mind control, or a ploy, but an honest-to-god attempt to manipulate events (and the Doctor) to their advantage is neat, but I'm conflicted if it would have had more impact had we had a few stories with the companion first, or if it's fine and works as a one-and-done with the audience expecting more adventures with the new companion, only for it to abruptly come to a stop after he murders someone, and then admits to the Doctor that everything was actually part of their plan.

Am curious what all you think? If it works better as a one-and-done, or would have been better serviced over multiple stories.

Also, completely forgot, as much as I like the new logo, it was a pleasant surprise to see them use the period appropriate logos and fonts as an alternative option.

Davros1 posted:

Davros did the same in "Davros"

"The Doctor is a known saboteur! He is our enemy! HE MUST BE E-*chokes*... incarcerated".

God I love, Davros.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 26, 2018

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Box of Bunnies posted:

Ravenous is the direct followup to Doom Coalition and is the "current" Eighth Doctor era, yeah.

The Time War sets are further on in the Doctor's life once the war is in full swing and will presumably eventually lead off into Night of the Doctor

I still believe we need to fund an up-to-date Doctor Who Reference Guide, where all the stories are listed in chronological order so you don't end up confused.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edward Mass posted:

I still believe we need to fund an up-to-date Doctor Who Reference Guide, where all the stories are listed in chronological order so you don't end up confused.

That sounds confusing just thinking about it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

The old website is gone, but the Wayback Machine keeps its spirit alive!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

I prefer chronological order by release, personally. I made a spreadsheet by just going to the wikipedia page with all the releases and CTRL-F-ing for, say "September, 2016," but mine is hopelessly out of date these days.

I did try to do one that did things by chronological order (according to the Doctor's perspective), but it gets really complicated with most of the Big Finish Doctors, and I just wasn't interested enough. I think Eight is the easiest, though, and given that he's mostly a Big Finish Doctor, that would probably be worth it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oh, it's kind of a bummer that they're gone. I get how most people would be like "Why would anyone ever bother doing this for a continuity that has so many contradictions, anyway?" but I've always thought one of the great things about the internet is that any time you have a nagging question that you don't have the time to devote to answering, you can find someone for whom it was enough of an obsession that they answered it publicly and arranged it in a nice chart for you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I think it was Oxxidation/Toxxupation (I lost track of all their name changes) who once said they wanted to watch every scene of the revival in chronological order, which is such an insane idea I think it might have retroactively caused the 2008 Global Financial Crisis.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I mean, THEORETICALLY, if we got enough people together, we could use the collective wisdom to piece all the material released since the Day of the Doctor into one chronological list. I, however, don't have time for that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

I think it was Oxxidation/Toxxupation (I lost track of all their name changes)

I believe he's now Lick! The! Whisk!.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

I mean, THEORETICALLY, if we got enough people together, we could use the collective wisdom to piece all the material released since the Day of the Doctor into one chronological list. I, however, don't have time for that.

Yes, but it would be a TERRIBLE idea to watch it, and it wouldn't make any sense, and it's crazy.

Timby posted:

I believe he's now Lick! The! Whisk!.

I believe they had at least one more name change after that.

Fake edit: Yep, they're NieR Occomata now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bleary-eyed Ph.D student: Okay, folks, what did we think of my dissertation in which I arrange ever Doctor Who story, across all media, in chronological order from the Doctor's perspective?
Committee Member 1: I'm impressed you were able to complete this work in seven years.
Committee Member 2: Question: given the extensive memory erasure and amnesia, can you please clarify what you mean by "from the Doctor's perspective?" What about instances in which the Doctor encounters himself? How are those documented here?
Committee Chair: Anyway, who even signed off on this idea? You're extremely expelled, without any degree.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Seems like the best way to do multi-Doctor stories would be to do it over again for each one. So for Day Of The Doctor you'd play it right before Rose, then between Waters Of Mars and End Of Time, then a third time in its original spot. Oh no but then all the previous ones come in for one scene and there's a Capaldi cameo, to say nothing of the Curator :psyduck:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

2house2fly posted:

Seems like the best way to do multi-Doctor stories would be to do it over again for each one. So for Day Of The Doctor you'd play it right before Rose, then between Waters Of Mars and End Of Time, then a third time in its original spot. Oh no but then all the previous ones come in for one scene and there's a Capaldi cameo, to say nothing of the Curator :psyduck:

I was going to say that at least you can narrow it down that Capaldi seemed to be alone in that cameo, but that only knocks it out of happening during the latest season, because Clara and Bill weren't travelling with him (he was always with Nardole last season, though). The Doctor's lie places it at the end of Death In Heaven, though, which specifically says it has to have taken place after that point. That places it most likely during series 9, although it could turn up almost anywhere in there.

Personally, I'd put it between The Husbands of River Song and The Return of Doctor Mysterio, but that's just gut feel.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Plus you've got episodes likes Hide, in which the Doctor has a scene where across the span of a few minutes he travels from the start of the universe to the end with multiple stops inbetween.

It's like the idea of putting the entire thing in chronological order is TERRIBLE and wouldn't make any sense, and is crazy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey gents! I was moving my book collection and I found a box with forgotten purchases. Would any of you be interested in some of the Doctor WHo RPG hardcovers from Cubicle 7?

I have Vols. 1 (two copies) , 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 9. Cover price on each volume was $35, I'd let let them go far cheaper than that.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Putting the whole thing in order is a terrible idea, but watching the River Song episodes in her POV order is pretty doable and fun, and her character arc holds together pretty well considering.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The River Song audios seem to be set in the 24 years after Darillium, is that right? At some points she has a sonic screwdriver, and sometimes the sonic trowel.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cleretic posted:

I was going to say that at least you can narrow it down that Capaldi seemed to be alone in that cameo, but that only knocks it out of happening during the latest season, because Clara and Bill weren't travelling with him (he was always with Nardole last season, though). The Doctor's lie places it at the end of Death In Heaven, though, which specifically says it has to have taken place after that point. That places it most likely during series 9, although it could turn up almost anywhere in there.

Personally, I'd put it between The Husbands of River Song and The Return of Doctor Mysterio, but that's just gut feel.

I remain surprised Moffat left that thread hanging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Somewhere from 126 to 156 days until we get a new Doctor Who television story.

:smith:

• Locked thread