Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Inko is supposed to know she's in a manga and that the MC will never be permanently crippled. Yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
If there ever was a Fourth Wall quirk, AFO would have already stolen it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Oxxidation posted:

watching the anime really makes it clear how absolutely overwhelming the hero society's force and numbers is, you practically have to elbow superpowered state police out of your way to cross the street

shigaraki is a tremendous underdog

yeah when "still in the triple digits" is an impressive feat for hero rankings it's clear that there's just an absurd amount of heroes right now, even if "hero" can refer to anything from a cop to a firefighter to a caped crusader to a school chef

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

That fight would’ve been perfect if All Might bit it there

That would have been way too predictable. Having him continue to live afterwards was actually the more interesting option, because it lets you see him coping with no longer being an active hero.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

That would have been way too predictable. Having him continue to live afterwards was actually the more interesting option, because it lets you see him coping with no longer being an active hero.

I like him coming to the realization that he's now the one to be protected

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Countblanc posted:

yeah when "still in the triple digits" is an impressive feat for hero rankings it's clear that there's just an absurd amount of heroes right now, even if "hero" can refer to anything from a cop to a firefighter to a caped crusader to a school chef

To be fair school chef is just what he does at UA. Presumably he has a quirk that allowed him to do actual hero work prior to joining UA.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

His quirk allows him to subdue people with the great smells and taste of his fresh cooking.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he can induce cooking manga reactions, so while villains are having hallucinations about being naked and surrounded by visual metaphors the cops arrest them

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What the absolute gently caress?

Deku "Midoriya Inko" Mom is a wonderful person, what do they have against her?

I agree she's a wonderful person!

I just was noting that she doubted Deku's dream, and All Might was the one who both said it was possible and made it possible. Inko even apologized for doubting her son, so that both cements her as a fine mom, and clarifies why Deku saying he owed everything to All-Might is reasonable.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Countblanc posted:

Still though, how many of those heroes are actually worth a drat? Gentle managed to beat 4 random scrub heroes on his own and the nomu in Hosu were tearing through the heroes until Endeavor and Gran Torino showed up.

Even though they have the numbers advantage, I feel like most normal heroes wouldn't stand a chance against anyone from the Vanguard Action Squad.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Well, maybe not Spinner.....

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 28, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rhonne posted:

Still though, how many of those heroes are actually worth a drat? Gentle managed to beat 4 random scrub heroes on his own and the nomu in Hosu were tearing through the heroes until Endeavor and Gran Torino showed up.

Even though they have the numbers advantage, I feel like most normal heroes wouldn't stand a chance against anyone from the Vanguard Action Squad.

Its honestly kinda weird how most non-major heroes have been portrayed (as generally worse than many class A kids in combat) given how challenging the hero license exam was.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
until fairly recently villains weren't a major problem, so naturally the ability to fight villains wasn't prioritized. what few villains did pop up were mostly chumps, and the top heroes could handle the even fewer non-chump villains. also, while ua is the best hero school there are a bunch of other, shittier schools around too.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I wouldn't be surprised if most of the heroes topping the charts were UA graduates.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

I think I can see how the audience could be annoyed with Inko. It's one thing to harbor doubts that your kid can realize their dreams; sounds messed up but really it's important that someone in the family is a realist. It's another thing to tell a kid to their face that their dream is impossible. By itself, that's not enough to really dislike Inko. She was just a heartbroken mother who couldn't stand to watch her son put himself through what he had.

I think the audience, having gone through that, now has to watch as Deku's mom comes at her son from the other side. He wanted so dearly to achieve this dream, he found a way to do so after his mother had given up on it, and now that he's living that dream she's calling it into question because it's getting dangerous.

I like Inko's depiction, frankly. She's handled pretty darned well, and I can totally relate to her worries and fears when Deku sneezes and explodes all his bones. That said, it would not surprise me if some viewers just wanted 100% shonen battles all the time, and are annoyed that Deku and UA's actions have consequences.:v:

chiasaur11 posted:

I agree she's a wonderful person!

I just was noting that she doubted Deku's dream, and All Might was the one who both said it was possible and made it possible. Inko even apologized for doubting her son, so that both cements her as a fine mom, and clarifies why Deku saying he owed everything to All-Might is reasonable.

Ooh, right, I completely forgot to take into account where the anime is so I didn't realize they'd be discussing that scene. I agree with you two though, her reaction is both honest and relatable, I too would at least try to dissuade my child from doing the thing that is destroying their body every other week. (something something american football) Especially given her history with Deku it's an understandable reaction and anyone expecting her to shonen mom it up and not give a poo poo what Deku's doing to himself hasn't been watching any of her other scenes up until now.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Deku needs to visit his mom more often.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of Deku's family, you think we'll see his dad anytime soon? I know we've been told that he's "out of the country on business" or whatever, but with all the huge events that have happened in Deku's life in the past few months, you'd think he would at least call, right? Does his dad even know he's in UA?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

until fairly recently villains weren't a major problem, so naturally the ability to fight villains wasn't prioritized. what few villains did pop up were mostly chumps, and the top heroes could handle the even fewer non-chump villains. also, while ua is the best hero school there are a bunch of other, shittier schools around too.

it is mentioned at least once by the ua teachers that they're out of practice. wouldn't be surprised if most heroes had been coasting since all might dismantled most criminal organizations

it's not too surprising that some elite kids from the nation's best hero academy are better at fighting than some average heroes either

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
It also kind of makes sense that there are plenty of normal-ish heroes about. We're obviously viewing the world through the shounen lens so everything is constantly high stakes/high action, but I imagine most of the day to day beat work these guys take on isn't anything special. They really seem to be patrolling enforcers, while the cops of the MHA world are more about investigation and detainment.

Within the cast of characters we've been exposed to thus far, there aren't many who would have had an answer for what Gentle was bringing. He legit had a pretty tricky quirk to deal with, even without La Brava's trump card to fall back on. It's not really an indictment against the rank-and-file heroes to have lost to him.

There's also the fact that we've seen, at least with Endeavor and Jeanist, that the pro heroes often have a bunch of sidekicks working under them too, which is probably where most of your on-the-street heroes find work that doesn't involve outright combat prowess.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 28, 2018

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Rhonne posted:

The Wild Wild Pussycats, a non-combat rescue team, held off and subdued multiple VA villains (yeah okay one was spinner, but still).

On top of what other people have said about being out of practice or whatever, the point is that the guys who easily trounce heroes are pretty powerfu - their power can be measured by how many heroes they can beat up. Noumus? Really really freaking strong. Gentle? About 4+ dudes strong.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbf the pussycats are pretty highly ranked. doubt that's possible if you can't punch a few villains out

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
having one member that can fight well is probably good enough for search and rescue work.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

having one member that can fight well is probably good enough for search and rescue work.

Pixie-Bob's Earth-Flow quirk also seems really powerful, we just never got a chance to see her use it on the villains because they took her by surprise.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda wish there was a better space for all of the omake stuff. It's kinda interesting.

Apparently before All Might's retirement team offices weren't really a thing. Now everyone's teaming up, which is a good change I think.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 28, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maybe, but Mandalay was also shown to have some skill for close quarters combat as well. Probably they train together anyway, so it's good to make sure everyone can at least cover the basics in an emergency.

One thing about Class 1-A (and to a lesser extent, 1-B) is that they've been thrown in the deep end early. From the slime monster attack, most heroes (until recently) were used to only fighting if the situation was overwhelmingly to their advantage. Meanwhile, 1-A has dealt with multiple villain ambushes, and had their curriculum massively rewritten to focus on not dying.

Constantly going sink or swim means you get good swimmers or dead ones, and thanks to more than their share of lucky breaks, 1-A's gotten through as the most promising class in a while.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
1-A is also quite lucky for as Eraserhead said, they have to insanely tenacious students from which to inspire the other students which is made all the more potent as Bakugo and Midoriya evoke different aspects of what makes a hero so no matter what a students temperament might be, at least one of them will be a source of inspiration. Thinking back on the first training exercise 1-A was already unconsciously showing just that because after watching Bakugo and Midoriya clash they got to saw a glimpse of the type of ferocity they would need to have if they would hope to thrive as heroes.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
My favorite thing about the Pussycats is that only one of them has vaguely cat themed powers and it's the "if it fits I sits" meme. Bobtail just loves cats so much she made it their team aesthetic and went hard on it. I want to know if they have an official mascot.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Alopex posted:

My favorite thing about the Pussycats is that only one of them has vaguely cat themed powers and it's the "if it fits I sits" meme. Bobtail just loves cats so much she made it their team aesthetic and went hard on it. I want to know if they have an official mascot.

What do you think Kota's being groomed for?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I like that Pixie Bob is the cat lover but Tora's the one with the giant catface shirt.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The most catlike face, too.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mercury Hat posted:

I like that Pixie Bob is the cat lover but Tora's the one with the giant catface shirt.

pixiebob came up with the idea and it got them some fame so everyone leaned in real hard

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

In a highly competitive environment like the hero society, marketing is important. You want to go all-in on your trademark, and in their case, it's cats.

Also, cats are good, therefore the Pussycats are good.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I just noticed that the Pussycats are all ranked as a team instead of individually. Idea: series ends with Deku and Bakugou(and probably others) forming a team so they all end up ranked #1.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Reminds me of my current D&D party where we named ourselves "The White Foxes" just because my sorceress had an arctic fox familiar.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rhonne posted:

I just noticed that the Pussycats are all ranked as a team instead of individually. Idea: series ends with Deku and Bakugou(and probably others) forming a team so they all end up ranked #1.

I'm of two minds on this take, really.

The first thought is that it doesn't seem to click with the themes the story has been hitting over and over. They've been pushing the idea that healthy competition between the kids is good(provided it doesn't result in off-the-books street brawls like Deku vs Bakugo) and necessary for their development, and several characters(Bakugo, Todoroki, Iida) have pretty much defined themselves by their rivalry with Midoriya and each other. Their school curriculum has been full to the brim with competitions and they've been told repeatedly by their teachers and mentors that they need to stand out and prove themselves unique and special to thrive. Even the baseline of getting a hero license is subject to murderous competition due to the limited number of spots. This is not a story setup that feels like they're pushing the idea that the end result will be a long term teamup. Also Bakugo willingly teaming up with Deku outside of times of great duress is a big ask still.

The second thought is that the current state of society in the manga is a rickety jenga tower that is about to collapse largely because it put so much focus on the power of an individual and assumed that single individual would always be there to make things okay if bad stuff happened, and now he's gone. The kids have had multiple moments where they would have utterly failed on their own but have scraped out stunning achievements due to the power of teamwork(big example being Bakugo Rescue). One of the major antagonists in the series so far, Stain, has been presented as being a murderous psychopath but several characters have been "well hmm he might have a point about something needing to change".

I guess I could see it going either way. Boku no Justice League would be a pretty rad ending.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rhonne posted:

I'm almost positive this is the ultimate conclusion. All Might cannot be replaced by a single person, and so here comes the Symbols of Peace Hero Agency

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I'm almost positive this is the ultimate conclusion. All Might cannot be replaced by a single person, and so here comes the Symbols of Peace Hero Agency

I wonder if this next arc is going to be about Endeavor trying to replace All Might as the Symbol of Peace only to fail horribly. Just drive home the fact that there will never be another All Might.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if this next arc is going to be about Endeavor trying to replace All Might as the Symbol of Peace only to fail horribly. Just drive home the fact that there will never be another All Might.

Driving home there will never be another All-Might has kind of been Deku's arc already. Deku's still trying to be the next SYMBOL OF PEACE, but doing that well has meant learning how to carve his own path as opposed to just trying to be ALL-MIGHT, but again.

As for hero teams, it feels worth bringing up that there are two of the three members of a hero team in the top ten right now. Kamui Woods and Edgeshot are coworkers, but that doesn't mean they're only doing jobs together.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I wonder if there would even be able to be another successor after Deku. One For All is already so taxing on his body even after he trained it up, I can't imagine how anyone could handle the strain of One For All with Deku's power added to it. They'd probably need to already have some kind of Quirk that enhances their body in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Viridiant posted:

I wonder if there would even be able to be another successor after Deku. One For All is already so taxing on his body even after he trained it up, I can't imagine how anyone could handle the strain of One For All with Deku's power added to it. They'd probably need to already have some kind of Quirk that enhances their body in some way.

look at deku, then look at muscle form all might, and tell me deku has sufficiently trained up his body

i mean you're not wrong, i'm just saying, deku's got a lot more lift ahead of him