Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu reference is the nerdiest thing I've ever tried to explain to someone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CheesyDog posted:

The Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu reference is the nerdiest thing I've ever tried to explain to someone else

I actually didn't get the reference. Pray tell?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

I actually didn't get the reference. Pray tell?

He was starting to narrate his holo chronicles and was leading into a story about Sharu when he was interrupted

Pretty sure that story he was using to hit on the woman playing sabaac at the end was referencing the one with the space whales as well

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Qui Gon was a Jedi Master the same way Wimp Lo was a martial arts expert in Kung Pow; the Jedi Council clearly trained him wrong on purpose, as a joke.

Which is why he's the only one who actually seems to believe in his weird race science midichlorian testing

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Trump posted:

Solo massively underperformed. Rogue One made almost twice the money in it's 3-day weekend as Solo and 50% more even if you include Solos 4-day weekend.

And before you retards start crying about how the numbers aren't bad; Yes, it will turn a huge profit and overseas will probably be huge. But that doesn't change the fact that this is a Star Wars movie and it barely broke 100 million in a 4-day weekend.

It's bombing harder overseas, and with the mess that was production...

We're actually looking at a Star Wars film losing money.

Yet let's be content, and the times lament, you see the world turn'd upside down.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This will all be worth it to cut to George Lucas pulling a black robe hood over his head cackling that all is as he foresaw it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Groovelord Neato posted:

nobody's "confused". dude got cut in half and he fell down a shaft. you don't survive that. it's dumb they brought him back.
Yeah. Lucas had him cut in half specifically so that people wouldn't bring him back.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah. Lucas had him cut in half specifically so that people wouldn't bring him back.

Lucas oversaw the show that brought him back

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And then brought him back in the animated series he oversaw and for which he signed off on all creative :shrug:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
And it was apparently even George's idea to bring Darth Maul back from the dead...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that does not surprise me in the least.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

darth maul was an extremely cool design and character with a pretty cool EU backstory. they probably shouldn't have killed him off in 1 and kept him around til 3 instead of recycling through boring rear end dooku and grievous. i was down with the idea of bringing him back but from my youtube research most of what he was brought back to do (other than his fight/final death against Obi Wan in rebels) was loving dorky and lame. also his hammy cartoon voice is terrible and it's even hammier and more terrible superimposed over ray park maul in Solo

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mandrel posted:

darth maul was an extremely cool design and character with a pretty cool EU backstory. they probably shouldn't have killed him off in 1 and kept him around til 3 instead of recycling through boring rear end dooku and grievous. i was down with the idea of bringing him back but from my youtube research most of what he was brought back to do (other than his fight/final death against Obi Wan in rebels) was loving dorky and lame. also his hammy cartoon voice is terrible and it's even hammier and more terrible superimposed over ray park maul in Solo

Listen, people have a right to their opinion but saying Sam Witwer's Maul voice is bad is factually wrong

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

CheesyDog posted:

He was starting to narrate his holo chronicles and was leading into a story about Sharu when he was interrupted

Pretty sure that story he was using to hit on the woman playing sabaac at the end was referencing the one with the space whales as well

From what I caught, he actually name drops every one of the three adventures from that series in some way. The crystal skull from one of the covers of the Han Solo Adventures shows up in Vos's menagerie of display items as well. As in, it's the same exact skull, not a reference to the Indiana Jones skull. Though the Raiders totem shows up in the display too.

Teek fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 28, 2018

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Covok posted:

Listen, people have a right to their opinion but saying Sam Witwer's Maul voice is bad is factually wrong

it's bad

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

psyman posted:

The sound effects really let this film down I think, I’m surprised at how weak and anemic the audio was. I’m convinced it’s part of why people are saying they found the experience a bit bland.

The train heist had almost no ambient noise, weather effects, carriages & track creaking or ship engine sounds (think of the cool popping/bursting effects in the prequels). The mixing heavily favoured music and dialogue.

Even the Mil Falcon was absent of any humming or throbbing ambience. By far the weakest audio in any Star Wars film I would say, though the score had a great choir part that came on a few times.

Has anyone seen it in Dolby Atmos, would that be different?

I actually found the dialogue incredibly hard to hear in this movie - I haven't missed so many important lines since Interstellar.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

SeANMcBAY posted:

20 years from now people will remember Solo in the same way we remember the Ewok movies today.

Not true. The ewok movies are still the most daring, interesting and successful concept in the franchise.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mandrel posted:

it's bad

It’s not that it’s bad but it’s just really awkward to hear that voice come out of what was basically almost a silent character.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Mandrel posted:

count dooku is a good villain.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chiasaur11 posted:

It's bombing harder overseas, and with the mess that was production...

We're actually looking at a Star Wars film losing money.

It would be fascinating to be a fly on the wall at Lucasfilm right now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

It would be fascinating to be a fly on the wall at Lucasfilm right now.

If it gets the whole story team executed by Disney Troopers itll be worth it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

darth maul's design was comical even when i was a teenager.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Darth Maul was redeemed big time in the shows and I was pleasantly surprised to see him in this (altho spoiled by it but still felt cool for them to bring that to the big screen).

Also this movie is boring.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

darth maul's design was comical even when i was a teenager.

wow cool dude! I'm impressed!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that was "the design was bad even to a lame teenager".

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Does Darth Maul even speak in The Phantom Menace? I remember there was a scene of him speaking in the original trailer but then it was cut from the film.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ray Park had his lines cut and Peter Serafinowicz came in to voice:

Maul: Tatooine is sparsely populated. If the trace was correct, I will find them quickly, Master.
Maul: At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gug3R-bKt9U

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Vintersorg posted:

Ray Park had his lines cut and Peter Serafinowicz came in to voice:

Maul: Tatooine is sparsely populated. If the trace was correct, I will find them quickly, Master.
Maul: At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gug3R-bKt9U

I forgot how poorly dubbed that was.:lol:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Star Wars: But Ray Park Does All The Voices And Sound Effects

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

clown shoes posted:

Does Darth Maul even speak in The Phantom Menace? I remember there was a scene of him speaking in the original trailer but then it was cut from the film.

I think he speaks twice in the whole film.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

that was "the design was bad even to a lame teenager".

The design was badass to me when I was 7, and was badass to my dad who watched the original trilogy in theatres, and by all accounts the character is popular. As in, the only prequel character you can meet at disney world popular.

It might just be that teenagers are dumbass douchey contrarians and citing your teenage opinions makes you sound stupid as all gently caress

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he’s even dumber now that I’m an adult so the opposite of what you said.

my far more cynical friend dressed as him for the premiere you idiot lol

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Maul was very different when he came out. I remember when the star wars fan magazine came in the mail and it the cover was his face. In some way he was kind of a teaser for how much the prequels leaned into unique and crazy designs for characters. In the originals all the villains were old white guys. Jabba I guess.

I'm always surprised when people think Maul should have been kept through the PT though. He was so unappealing, I think somewhat by design. Even when I was a kid I thought it was weird that he was just kind of Sheev's dumb attack dog, and despite all the years of establishing him as a spooky 3D chess crime master, it's still hard for me to square with how he's presented in TPM. Just kind of a blunt instrument. As far as all the bad and good warrior-monks in these movies go he always seemed all warrior no monk. eh

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maul didn't need to be kept around for the other movies but I think Dooku should have been in Episode I.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The design is kinda EXTREME FUCKER but it is pulled together by each voice actors work. I love the calm hatred.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The design was badass to me when I was 7, and was badass to my dad who watched the original trilogy in theatres, and by all accounts the character is popular. As in, the only prequel character you can meet at disney world popular.

It might just be that teenagers are dumbass douchey contrarians and citing your teenage opinions makes you sound stupid as all gently caress

You can’t meet Darth Maul at Disneyworld. You can meet Kylo, Rey, Chewie and Vader tho

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Maul didn't need to be kept around for the other movies but I think Dooku should have been in Episode I.

Agreed, it would have been cool to have him around earlier since the seeds of Palpatine playing everyone against each other are planted in Episode I. By the time he and Obi-Wan meet he's already just telling them outright that they've been duped and is hesitant to even raise his hand against them at first. It kind of put them in a corner too because they needed him to be on screen with Anakin for a while but magically suddenly decide NOT to reveal any of the truth to him even to the point where it probably would have saved his life (Anakin's still at the point of errant force users being brought to trial rather than executed at this point in the story) :wtc:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CelticPredator posted:

You can’t meet Darth Maul at Disneyworld. You can meet Kylo, Rey, Chewie and Vader tho

Chewie, Kylo, and BB-8 were at the official meet n greet when I was there, but Maul is among the characters that appear on stage at events that you can catch after, take pictures with, etc

I was wrong though because I think clone troopers have the same gig

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

ok just checked to make sure this was the spoiler thread before posting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B1hLltaDbg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club