Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
If you want a vassal-heavy game, take Feudal Society and just integrate vassals once they've proven thsemselves in combat. Take the relevant Ascension Perk too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Rookersh posted:

Space Rome.

My current run is republican Space Rome: muthoritarian/materialist/militarist, oligarchy, with Mechanist and Citizen Service. It's going pretty fun - I've been subjugating aliens as Castes to reflect incorporating conquered elites into the power structure (while giving my synths full citizen rights as soon as I got them). I cracked open the L-gate and saw a nanite fleet get thrashed by an Ether Drake which was pretty cool.

Now I've turned myself and my client species into robots (pretty bummer that the flying monkeys, penguins and murdertrees all turn to the same humanoid bot) and thought about joining a federation started by the the two Determined Exterminator empires but alas - some of their neighbors asked for protection, got integrated, assimilated and suddenly the Dekron Eliminators found themselves on the wrong side of my Pretty Borders faction.

Up until this run I thought the Shared Destiny perk is pretty much useless but having to incorporate four vassals, each with 80-120 pops, made me change my mind pretty quickly.

RedSnapper fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 28, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was thinking of playing a bit of Stellaris again, but I was wondering if there is a mod to restore the original good FTL system? I would like to try out the new features, but neutering the game is a deal breaker for me. Or am I going to have to stick to version 1.9.1?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Rutibex posted:

I was thinking of playing a bit of Stellaris again, but I was wondering if there is a mod to restore the original good FTL system? I would like to try out the new features, but neutering the game is a deal breaker for me. Or am I going to have to stick to version 1.9.1?

Just bump hyperlane density up to 10,000 and pretend it's warp drive?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
av/post combo

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

skeleton warrior posted:

When I got this event, I only had one L-gate in my territory and I saw a bunch of other empires stars to suddenly uncolagonized, but no fleets came out to fight me. I ended up sending in 3 50K fleets, killing the nanites in the entryway system, and fought a holding action for about five years where nanite fleets would come in, get killed, and I’d rotate fleets out to get them healed and upgraded before the next nanite wave. This went on for like five years - I started wondering whether I’d started the Stellaris version of the Vietnam war - before the waves slowed enough that I could explore the star and build an outpost, upgrade it to a station, and throw shipyards on it to allow immediate healing and defense station support.

I think after that I had eaten most of the wandering nanite fleets, so I was able to slowly advance, kill defensive fleets, and explore/outpost the L-sector.

THEN (double spoiler) I either missed their home base because it was behind another star, or the star didn’t show up until then, and just as my ships were half-way Home to parades and refits, another 5 nanite fleets popped in and overwhelmed the non-existent defenses and rolled me all the way back to the gate before my fleets came back and I had to redo the whole campaign. My fleets sat at a choke point until I was able to build them up to 200K total, and then they were able to invade the nanite home world and end the whole threat.

In the end, it was maybe 15 years of constant direction and maneuver of fleets, throwing scientists to their doom to get eyes on stars, and tens of thousands of resources for lost ships and bases. By the end, my personal war weariness was closing in on 100%, but the rewards - strategic resources unavailable anywhere else and six systems with 1-3 20+ sized planets - felt well worth it.

But yeah: This felt more like takin out an FE than anything else. Very late-mid game, or “oh, the Khan is my neighbor” sized.
In my game the L-gate nanobots got wrecked by my starbases that were researching the L-gate black holes. Turns out that disruptor-style weapons are terrible against star bases/defense platforms—my bases were at ~20k power and I typically lost only a few platforms.

In the same game I had a pulsar starbase kill the Great Khan.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Matlock posted:

Just bump hyperlane density up to 10,000 and pretend it's warp drive?

I enjoy different races having different options on the same map. That wouldn't work. Also, no wormhole drives!

Is there no mod to restore the good FTL system?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Rutibex posted:

I enjoy different races having different options on the same map. That wouldn't work. Also, no wormhole drives!

The AI pathfinding code was significantly simplified when the FTL methods were changed, so I'm not sure if it's even possible to mod it back in.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Rutibex posted:

Star Trek New Horizons people say it's impossible, they've had to fake warp drive in their mod.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Distant Stars is so good. Loving the new events, and the L-Gate stuff with the crazy nanite fleets is awesome. There's a lot of cool new things, like the Enigmatic Cache, that make the galaxy feel alive.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 28, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Rutibex posted:

No. They subsumed Wormhole code into Gateways, and Warp's gone entirely. You'll take your Master of Orion and like it. Yes, I'm still a little bitter.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chalks posted:

The AI pathfinding code was significantly simplified when the FTL methods were changed, so I'm not sure if it's even possible to mod it back in.

Thom12255 posted:

Star Trek New Horizons people say it's impossible, they've had to fake warp drive in their mod.
:negative:
1.9.1 it is then! Are there any mods that back-port the newer features to the old version?

Bloodly posted:

No. They subsumed Wormhole code into Gateways, and Warp's gone entirely. You'll take your Master of Orion and like it. Yes, I'm still a little bitter.

The only Master of Orion I like is Moo2. The newer ones hosed it up with space lanes.

If I wanted to play a 4X game with space lanes I would play Space Empires 4, they pretty much perfected it. Including late game technology that lets you create/destroy new lanes.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

So, Rutibex, is Stellaris 1.9.1 peak Stellaris in the same way Minecraft peaked at 1.2.5?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyTolradi posted:

So, Rutibex, is Stellaris 1.9.1 peak Stellaris in the same way Minecraft peaked at 1.2.5?

Peak minecraft is 1.7.10 with Project Ozone 2 installed.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

For what it's worth, the hyperlane changes really improve the gameplay in a bunch of ways. Sure, there's less variety in how empires move around, but the strategic terrain of the galaxy is excellent now.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chalks posted:

For what it's worth, the hyperlane changes really improve the gameplay in a bunch of ways. Sure, there's less variety in how empires move around, but the strategic terrain of the galaxy is excellent now.

:shrug:
I was never really into Stellaris as a "strategy game". It is more of a sandbox RP galaxy simulator for me. I can't put the United Federation of Planets into my game now that they don't have warp drives. It breaks the immersion!

I like the option of starlanes, then I can do EVE online vs The Federation. But having only star lanes is lame as heck. Why not just leave the other FTL options in? Its not like you didn't have the option of playing "starlane only" under the old system. What is the point of removing variety.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 28, 2018

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Rutibex posted:

:shrug:
I was never really into Stellaris as a "strategy game". It is more of a sandbox RP galaxy simulator for me. I can't put the United Federation of Planets into my game now that they don't have warp drives. It breaks the immersion!

I like the option of starlanes, then I can do EVE online vs The Federation. But having only star lanes is lame as heck. Why not just leave the other FTL options in? Its not like you didn't have the option of playing "starlane only" under the old system. What is the point of removing variety.

In the new system - especially given the new structure of lanes and exploration system - you couldn't leave other FTL options in without completely breaking the game. Early game is now primarily about exploring the hyperlane map to work out where to best expand, there's no way you could just choose to be able to jump anywhere and have that system make any sense. Expansion has to be along hyperlanes, not just adjacent systems and there are a bunch of events and mechanics (Gates, L-Gates, wormholes) that would be completely broken if you could just jump anywhere on day one.

Securing your space is now a case of reinforcing a handful of frontier bastions at choke points and having several fleets to guard them, another mechanic that would not work if you can simply jump past these chokes.

Space terrain requires it to have a shape that applies to everyone. The ability for some empires to simply opt out of that system and move where ever they want doesn't add variety, it removes the all the upsides of hyperlanes and just makes it a gigantic disadvantage.

The variety of the old system was interesting, but the depth that hyperlanes can bring now that they're used by everyone is far more so.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Another cool thing Distant Stars does is add a whole ton of unique star systems that may or may not spawn. Really, Wiz, if you guys can keep releasing little packs that add stuff like this, I'll keep buying them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chalks posted:

In the new system - especially given the new structure of lanes and exploration system - you couldn't leave other FTL options in without completely breaking the game. Early game is now primarily about exploring the hyperlane map to work out where to best expand, there's no way you could just choose to be able to jump anywhere and have that system make any sense. Expansion has to be along hyperlanes, not just adjacent systems and there are a bunch of events and mechanics (Gates, L-Gates, wormholes) that would be completely broken if you could just jump anywhere on day one.

Securing your space is now a case of reinforcing a handful of frontier bastions at choke points and having several fleets to guard them, another mechanic that would not work if you can simply jump past these chokes.

Space terrain requires it to have a shape that applies to everyone. The ability for some empires to simply opt out of that system and move where ever they want doesn't add variety, it removes the all the upsides of hyperlanes and just makes it a gigantic disadvantage.

The variety of the old system was interesting, but the depth that hyperlanes can bring now that they're used by everyone is far more so.

Moo2 had warp drives and space terrain. You couldn't warp through space with a black hole, and going through a nebula made your warp drive go to a crawl. Taking out the other FTL options just feels lazy as gently caress to me. If they wanted to they could have added terrain modifiers to the other types of movement.

Having different strategic considerations based on what sort of FTL type you opponent uses adds all sorts of interesting gameplay. If its two star lane civilization next to each other you get the choke points, but if you happen to be next to a wormhole species you need to adjust to that and play differently. That sounds like variety to me!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Chalks posted:

Yeah, as someone who was very skeptical of the FTL changes, I really think the game is much better for it.

Chalks posted:

This basically sums up a lot of how I've found the post 2.0 gameplay, variety doesn't always had depth and hyperlanes only means there's a focus on the game mechanics that is better able to be balanced as opposed trying to balance three different FTL types.

Milky Moor posted:

Another cool thing Distant Stars does is add a whole ton of unique star systems that may or may not spawn. Really, Wiz, if you guys can keep releasing little packs that add stuff like this, I'll keep buying them.
Same, the new systems, the anomalies and bits of lore that have been added are really enjoyable.

Comparing Stellaris 2.1 to Stellaris 1.0 and it just feels like a game that's been fleshed out a lot more now. I remember saying to my partner when Stellaris released that it felt like the core of a solid 4x game, but that it'd probably start to get really good after a few DLC/patches and it really feels like it's at that point now.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Moo2 had warp drives and space terrain. You couldn't warp through space with a black hole, and going through a nebula made your warp drive go to a crawl. Taking out the other FTL options just feels lazy as gently caress to me. If they wanted to they could have added terrain modifiers to the other types of movement.

Having different strategic considerations based on what sort of FTL type you opponent uses adds all sorts of interesting gameplay. If its two star lane civilization next to each other you get the choke points, but if you happen to be next to a wormhole species you need to adjust to that and play differently. That sounds like variety to me!

Yeah, there probably were a variety of ways that it could have been implemented, but having multiple methods obeying the same terrain limitations would always have tended towards redundancy. It seems like hyperlanes were a logical choice for wanting to implement terrain.

Removing FTL options doesn't seem lazy, the laziest option would be to do nothing and leave it as it was. Cutting the options and completely rewriting a bunch of game mechanics to better compliment the remaining one, then re-implementing warp jumping and worm holes as more interesting gameplay elements is considerably more work.

Just to double check you're aware that warp jumping is still in game as a mid game technology, yeah? And wormholes are an extremely powerful late game galactic wonder.

I'll admit to not really understanding the RP impacts that these changes have since that's not the way I play, but in my opinion it's expanded travel from an interesting but fairly shallow choice at the start of the game to a complex system with multiple choices to be made throughout the whole game.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 28, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah I really like finding Great Wound

what happened there

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Rutibex posted:

I think that the Sword of the Stars comparison is apt: Giving species different movement types works well when it's baked into their design - if not, then it's a very difficult balancing act and the AI will probably struggle. Adding variety is interesting, but the game should be able to implement it well.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chalks posted:

Yeah, there probably were a variety of ways that it could have been implemented, but having multiple methods obeying the same terrain limitations would always have tended towards redundancy. It seems like hyperlanes were a logical choice for wanting to implement terrain.

They wouldn't all obey the same terrain, each FTL method could have its own terrain restrictions. So for example one part of the galaxy could be easily traversed by space lane guys, but black holes everywhere make it a nightmare for warp drives. Or maybe have pulsars block wormhole travel, you need advanced tech to travel near these stars, but space lane or warp ships can go there no problem. Differing terrain types for the different FTL technologies would result in much more interesting strategic situations. There would still be "choke points" but they would not be as obvious as "this system only has two space lines going to it!" and they would change based on who controlled what space.

Chalks posted:

Removing FTL options doesn't seem lazy, the laziest option would be to do nothing and leave it as it was. Cutting the options and completely rewriting a bunch of game mechanics to better compliment the remaining one, then re-implementing warp jumping and worm holes as more interesting gameplay elements is considerably more work.

Its lazy in the sense that they didn't bother trying to flesh out the three distinct FTL types and make them more strategic in combination with each other. That would have obviously been a lot harder to design, so the lazy option is to just throw it out and do the same space lane stuff every other 4X game does.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 28, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Are we still mad about hyperlanes

Quit gettin' mad at hyperlanes

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I find it weird that people don't seem to get that in a world where warp and wormholes existed, taking hyperlanes was literally the trap option.

Rutibex posted:

They wouldn't all obey the same terrain, each FTL method could have its own terrain restrictions. So for example one part of the galaxy could be easily traversed by space lane guys, but black holes everywhere make it a nightmare for warp drives. Or maybe have pulsars block wormhole travel, you need advanced tech to travel near these stars, but space lane or warp ships can go there no problem. Differing terrain types for the different FTL technologies would result in much more interesting strategic situations. There would still be "choke points" but they would not be as obvious as "this system only has two space lines going to it!" and they would changed based on who controlled what space.

I'm sure you wouldn't be mad as hell if you picked warp and then got a bunch of black holes near your starting location/where you needed to expand etc.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Rutibex posted:

Its lazy in the sense that they didn't bother trying to flesh out the three distinct FTL types and make them more strategic in combination with each other. That would have obviously been a lot harder to design, so the lazy option is to just throw it out and do the same space lane stuff every other 4X game does.

I can't blame them for taking three dysfunctional travel systems and deciding to make one working and indepth travel system with a couple variants, rather than three complexly interlocking ones. What you're describing is cool but it also sounds like an expansion unto itself. Personally I'd rather have them focus on refining the existing systems.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

Are we still mad about hyperlanes

Quit gettin' mad at hyperlanes

Don't worry I'm the only one mad at hyperlanes. I'm sure after 250 pages you all are used to them and I am just an angry curmudgeon.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Milky Moor posted:

I'm sure you wouldn't be mad as hell if you picked warp and then got a bunch of black holes near your starting location/where you needed to expand etc.

Thats part of the charm of the game! Some empires will be gimped by their circumstances and the way the galaxy is laid out. That makes it a good galaxy sim, but obviously a bad strategy game. Every point in the map should not be equal.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Milky Moor posted:

I find it weird that people don't seem to get that in a world where warp and wormholes existed, taking hyperlanes was literally the trap option.

This always did confuse me.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Thats part of the charm of the game! Some empires will be gimped by their circumstances and the way the galaxy is laid out. That makes it a good galaxy sim, but obviously a bad strategy game. Every point in the map should not be equal.
Stellaris is more about strategy, so yes, bolded is correct.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I never really liked the alternate methods of space travel. From minute 1 we never used anything but hyperlanes for MP, and even in singleplayer the other two were just really bad and poorly thought out.

Warp was just a cheap way to completely invalidate any kind of border defense, and Wormholes was a ton of micromanagement that left you completely unable to get to half of the galaxy by the midgame.

Hyperlanes were lovely in the old version because they weren't planned out very well, despite being the only option for actual gameplay, and now they're very good.

Edit: OH! And the new system really lets gateways and wormholes shine. Also the new science ship fuckery is neat. Really, I think there's actually a greater variety of FTL options in the game now than when there were three poorly thought out choices you made at the beginning of the game.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 28, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Also is it just me or is the AI much better about trades in Distant Stars? I get actual trade offers of things like "hey give me x minerals, which you are full of, and i will give you x energy, which you are not full of".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not equal presently, you can get very good or very rough starts.

Shugojin posted:

Also is it just me or is the AI much better about trades in Distant Stars? I get actual trade offers of things like "hey give me x minerals, which you are full of, and i will give you x energy, which you are not full of".

Everyone just keeps on giving me free poo poo with is a bit weird tbh.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Shugojin posted:

I just had some random power I've never interacted with give me 12,000 minerals, so they're pretty smart.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hmm, I just noticed something but apparently when you upgrade a starbase with modules that have combat effects, it also upgrades the defence platforms with those effects too.

So on a full combat starbase the defence platforms have +60% health and armour and +70% range.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 28, 2018

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Hyperlanes Only is the best change to the game ever, and enshrines Wiz amongst the Pantheon of the Wise and Great.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Milky Moor posted:

I don't think it has to be. In SotS, the hyperlane options were totally viable because they were very fast compared to the other travel modes, and that worked well in combination with the expansionist species that used them. Whereas the warp drives were comparatively slow, and gateways had all sorts of limits on them. And even then, all the species could use STL travel as a backup when necessary. But their movement types were bound up with their other racial traits. The strength of individual Morrigi vessels was balanced by how slow they traveled when alone. The potent swarms of Hivers were balanced by limitations on how many could fit through a gate. The races who could react quickly tended to have weaker ships meaning they needed spend more time marshaling forces. It wasn't a perfect system, but it was one founded upon counterbalances. I do agree that without those counterbalances, the inherent inflexibility of node-based travel would always really struggle to compete in an asymmetric system.

Baronjutter posted:

I just had some random power I've never interacted with give me 12,000 minerals, so they're pretty smart.

And I bet your Opinion of them improved, didn't it? :D

Kaal fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 28, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
While you can certainly have multiple FTL types in the same game, for Stellaris in particular I think it would have necessitated significant reworking on the galaxy layer to make it function well. Things like 'nebulas and black holes slow your FTL' sounds good on paper but Stellaris doesn't have the right kind of map data granularity to do that well, and it's already difficult enough to locate certain types of systems without map mode toggling or carefully mousing over systems for tooltips. I also don't want to imagine the performance hit of detailed FTL pathfinding in a realtime game with lots of AI empires and one-button-press fleet reinforcements that sends lone ships out by the dozens.

Hyperlanes-only also made individual system characteristics actually more important, because things like black holes reducing movement speed frankly didn't matter in the past when you literally never moved from your jump-in point while en route elsewhere. Now you have to actually traverse the system and it matters, along with lane layouts creating natural chokes and defense stations to further inhibit movement. The switch also coincided with a much more discrete claim system which I prefer to the old "eyeball the border range and hope it doesn't get pushed back", though I suppose that change isn't inherently tied to FTL mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Hmm, I just noticed something but apparently when you upgrade a starbase with modules that have combat effects, it also upgrades the defence platforms with those effects too.

So on a full combat starbase the defence platforms have +60% health and armour and +70% range.

And +fire rate from the Command Centre. This means you can put autocannons and plasma cannons on your platforms and not be particularly gimped. Or stick KA and Neutrons on there and kill anything the moment it arrives in-system.