Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Midjack posted:

mc chris is a loving dickhead irl.

He's a nerdcore rapper, why is anyone surprised by this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
He swears he's not nerdcore though :rolleyes:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

He's a nerdcore rapper, why is anyone surprised by this?

Many of them aren't once you get them away from big conventions. Frontalot is a thoroughly decent guy at live shows that aren't PAX, and Lars and Schaeffer ate friendly everywhere I've encountered them.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Wasabi the J posted:

He swears he's not nerdcore though :rolleyes:

Lol he sing starwars songs

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

I did a remix for him of an ancient song off his 'demo' stuff from 1999-ish. He was really really nice, sent me original CD-Rs and I did it in what was Sonic Foundry's Acid.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

MC Chris sounds like he's 4'10" tall.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

BloodBag posted:

MC Chris sounds like he's 4'10" tall.

Big shock that a below average height nerd is angry

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Realtalk I was into MC Chris in high school and even went to one of his shows but I recently put some on for nostalgia's sake and holy gently caress is it cringey.

Like, really really bad. No way dude isn't a sex pest.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://i.imgur.com/KWqgW17.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
German engineers are hard at work finding new ways to release pollution.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Platystemon posted:

German engineers are hard at work finding new ways to release pollution.

Unfair and racist. Kias do the exact same thing :colbert:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Previa_fun posted:

Realtalk I was into MC Chris in high school and even went to one of his shows but I recently put some on for nostalgia's sake and holy gently caress is it cringey.

Like, really really bad. No way dude isn't a sex pest.

I hope he eventually went and picked up that friend of his who got locked out of his apartment and was sleeping on a bench in the PATH station

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

Unfair and racist. Kias do the exact same thing :colbert:

And Harley Davidson.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

I see no problem here, the spring is working fine.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Heh. My colleague's Opel key just did the same. He was actually able to glue it together and make things work for a bit until a new key arrived.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

InitialDave posted:

gif went hurr

Superior German engineering at work.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What if you want to toss someone your key so they can open the door or start the car or whatever that key does, but you still need your key chain? Problem solved. Checkmate atheists.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Superior German engineering at work.
Looks like the superior german adhesives didn't hold.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

From the EV anticipation thread:

Related: apparently the upper control arms on the Tesla Model 3 are plastic?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's good that manufacturers are finally admitting the salt belt exists and putting more plastic into critical structural elements.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Darchangel posted:

Mmmhmmm.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Magical. Can't expect designers in California to have ever heard of anything like sub zero temperatures and keeping in mind how plastics become brittle in the bitter cold.

Can't wait to see how that handles hitting a pothole when the ambient is at -40.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrYenko posted:

Mmmhmmm.

EDIT for picture:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Darchangel posted:

:stonk:
Jesus gently caress. I don't even know how anyone could look at that and say that it was acceptable to put on a vehicle

Thankfully, Musk's goodwill has been wearing thin and some of the Tesla Evangelists I've talked to are now voicing doubts about the company

E: the aluminum I mean. I have so many doubts about load bearing plastic, but that's a different issue entirely

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 30, 2018

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Bajaha posted:

Magical. Can't expect designers in California to have ever heard of anything like sub zero temperatures and keeping in mind how plastics become brittle in the bitter cold.

Can't wait to see how that handles hitting a pothole when the ambient is at -40.

Maybe they were too busy also ignoring the 120+ temps that parts of CA hit every summer!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yes all plastics are identical and perform just like a spork from Chipotle.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Yes all plastics are identical and perform just like a spork from Chipotle.

Well, when put in context with the high quality cast aluminum part in the same post and Tesla's consistently amazing QC, I don't trust that critical plastic part to perform uniformly across the range of temperatures that Teslas are expected to run in

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

The Door Frame posted:

Well, when put in context with the high quality cast aluminum part in the same post and Tesla's consistently amazing QC, I don't trust that part to perform uniformly across the range of temperatures that Teslas are expected to run in

Yeah, given Tesla's overall QC, I have to wonder if they bothered to take the operating range of, y'know, all the temperatures of just the North American continent into account.

Maybe they did. Maybe I'm not being charitable enough.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, Tesla is still garbage, on the whole. But holy poo poo what a " muh metal" circlejerk the last few posts are.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Uh.

I.... uh.

Guys, when normal automakers focused on cheapening poo poo out won't touch CRITICAL SUSPENSION COMPONENTS with plastic (I'm not talking things like sway bar link rods) there's no way in hell a company with Tesla's QC issues should be.

Jesus christ.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The fun part is when you google the part, they were made out of metal for a while.

Then some intern got the idea that they could do it faster and cheaper with plastic, who got a high five from Elon as he walked into the sunset alternating flipping off the NHTSA and using a phone app to launch another rocket.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I am so afraid that going all in on Tesla is going to end up killing Space X.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

xzzy posted:

The fun part is when you google the part, they were made out of metal for a while.

Then some intern got the idea that they could do it faster and cheaper with plastic, who got a high five from Elon as he walked into the sunset alternating flipping off the NHTSA and using a phone app to launch another rocket.

http://www.performance-materials.ba...-suspension-arm

:jerkbag: That's not how it went at all.

I get that it's cool to hate on Tesla, and they deserve it, but this is dangerously jerkoff-y right now.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 30, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

http://www.performance-materials.ba...-suspension-arm

:jerkbag: That's not how it went at all.

I get that it's cool to hate on Tesla, and they deserve it, but this is dangerously jerkoff-y right now.

Why you gotta ruin the fun.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Yeah, given Tesla's overall QC, I have to wonder if they bothered to take the operating range of, y'know, all the temperatures of just the North American continent into account.

Maybe they did. Maybe I'm not being charitable enough.

Though, you have that issue with traditional manufacturers as well.

How many corrosion related issues have popped up over the years due to manufacturers forgetting that cars spend 1/4th to 1/2th the year bathed in brine?

My 2002 WRX had a control arm recall due to that and my 2011 WRX had a brake line recall over it.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

The failure modes of metal stuff are comparatively nice and gentle compared to engineering plastics.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

xzzy posted:

Why you gotta ruin the fun.

I mean, all you gotta say is "Tesla panel gap" or "touchscreen" or "GLOSSY BLACK PLASTIC WHERE FEET GO" and the fun starts right back up :v:

mekilljoydammit posted:

The failure modes of metal stuff are comparatively nice and gentle compared to engineering plastics.

It has a steel core, plastic reinforcement sheathing, instead of aluminum all around. Only a 15% weight reduction from aluminum but a more graceful failure mode, the steel core holds together if the plastic cracks.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 30, 2018

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Darchangel posted:

it's worth noting that this twitter account is probably a troll that's been banned from that tesla forum a few times

it's really easy to criticize changing from steel to aluminum to plastic for suspension components but's worth mentioning that the goals of engineers aren't going to necessarily be obvious to the public and the potential legal liabilities of switching materials to plastic was probably not taken lightly. i'd bet a sizeable sum of money that the plastic suspension went through FEA during design.

Aluminum frame vehicles are very difficult to straighten and repair so its worth considering that perhaps it's better to have a sacrificial suspension link break rather than have it tear out the mount to the chassis (or bend the chassis) in an accident.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

mekilljoydammit posted:

I am so afraid that going all in on Tesla is going to end up killing Space X.

Well, it seems like investors are getting real tired of Ol' Musky's poo poo. Tesla's credit rating has been lowered and the company has had to push back production milestones for its semis and roadsters after missing almost every milestone for the Model 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

it's worth noting that this twitter account is probably a troll that's been banned from that tesla forum a few times

it's really easy to criticize changing from steel to aluminum to plastic for suspension components but's worth mentioning that the goals of engineers aren't going to necessarily be obvious to the public and the potential legal liabilities of switching materials to plastic was probably not taken lightly. i'd bet a sizeable sum of money that the plastic suspension went through FEA during design.

Aluminum frame vehicles are very difficult to straighten and repair so its worth considering that perhaps it's better to have a sacrificial suspension link break rather than have it tear out the mount to the chassis (or bend the chassis) in an accident.

That might be so, but Tesla is in trouble for stunts such as this, and its worth noting that Elon is having a hard time answering hard questions, and is ducking investors questions as well.

Being banned from Tesla Forums isn't a sign of anything other than they are probably intolerant of counter opinions to their own little world.