Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I wish the levels actually meant something. It's just weird seeing level 20, 25, and 30's walking around when it would be more interesting (and practical) to see their light level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I got this game as part of the Humble Bundle. Put a few hours into it and now I'm left wondering why I want to continue playing it.

What are some of the cool things to do as a lowbie? These adventure missions or whatever are boring as gently caress, the public missions are pretty neat (when there's other people around to do them). Outside of that I don't see anything else to do. What am I missing?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
As the above page says over and over, find a group to play this game with. It sucks on your own.

Find some cool people to do pvp, run nightfalls and strikes, do raids and generally gently caress around.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think I'd really care for PVP in this game.

What are nightfalls and strikes? How to I get to them? Same for Raids I guess. I'm assuming these are high level things to do? I was kinda wondering what low level stuff there is to do other than running around in an open zone aimlessly shooting things.

In the few hours I've played it basically boils down to feeling like I'm playing the bastard child of Warframe or something. Starting to think that I should probably just play something else since after 8 hours of play I do not feel compelled to login and play.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Nightfalls and strikes are basically 3 man dungeons, raids become available from power level... 270 iirc?

PVP is a matter of taste, but becomes better with people you like.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fathis Munk posted:

I prefer a different type of manshoots.

Playing with like minded people always makes any game (even bad ones) that much better ;).

Atari teenager
May 29, 2008

Fathis Munk posted:

Stanley Pain posted:

I prefer a different type of manshoots.

Playing with like minded people always makes any game (even bad ones) that much better ;).

I don't know I have better success when I play pvp solo haha (captainweedo)

Atari teenager fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 28, 2018

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Have you been doing the Red War story missions? Because just running around doing Public Events is actually boring as gently caress and will take you forever to get to level enough to get to multi-player content.

Though I love the vanllia campaign and just beat it again for the second time.

But, yeah, if you aren't feeling it after several hours - and been doing more than Public Events and just shooting things in the patrol space - maybe this isn't the game for you. And that's fine, you gave it enough of a fair shake thay hopefully you feel like you didn't waste your money.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I didn't like pvp in this game till I got a pulse rifle and it basically became halo.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Penpal posted:

I wish the levels actually meant something. It's just weird seeing level 20, 25, and 30's walking around when it would be more interesting (and practical) to see their light level
Light level barely matters with how level scaling works, but I agree that it'd be more interesting to see LL.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

kater posted:

I didn't like pvp in this game till I got a pulse rifle and it basically became halo.

Time Worn Spire. It’s a goddamn kill laser. Grind it out in Iron Banana if you haven’t already

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Twincityhacker posted:

Have you been doing the Red War story missions? Because just running around doing Public Events is actually boring as gently caress and will take you forever to get to level enough to get to multi-player content.

Though I love the vanllia campaign and just beat it again for the second time.

But, yeah, if you aren't feeling it after several hours - and been doing more than Public Events and just shooting things in the patrol space - maybe this isn't the game for you. And that's fine, you gave it enough of a fair shake thay hopefully you feel like you didn't waste your money.

Yeah I've done a bunch of the red missions and some of those orange missions (adventures)? Super dry, boring poo poo for me unfortunately :( Nothing really stuck. The cost was 10 bucks and it came with a bunch of other games so no real loss here at all. Got 8 hours of some entertainment :thumbsup:

On a side note it did make me start playing Battlefield again :shobon:

I'll probably but a few more hours into it before I free up that drive space.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
If you don't find a group to run strikes and raids with, this game is not for you imo.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Stanley Pain posted:

Yeah I've done a bunch of the red missions and some of those orange missions (adventures)? Super dry, boring poo poo for me unfortunately :( Nothing really stuck. The cost was 10 bucks and it came with a bunch of other games so no real loss here at all. Got 8 hours of some entertainment :thumbsup:

On a side note it did make me start playing Battlefield again :shobon:

I'll probably but a few more hours into it before I free up that drive space.

The thread lives up to the title.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
That's like playing WoW or Diablo to level 47 and then quitting.

If you're not having fun then quitting is the right choice if you're not making money on it, but be aware that you're pretty much missing out on the majority of the game.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

QuasiQuack posted:

That's like playing WoW or Diablo to level 47 and then quitting.

If you're not having fun then quitting is the right choice if you're not making money on it, but be aware that you're pretty much missing out on the majority of the game.

I think it goes beyond the story/setting/whatever. I just don't really find the core gameplay all the engaging. At least I think that's it.

Father Wendigo posted:

The thread lives up to the title.

I'm 1/2 way into a yearly Humble Bundle subscription. It's been a roller coaster ride for sure ;)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
If you don't find shooting mans in the head satisfying, this game is probably not for you yeah. There's a lot of head clicking, with some ball touching and running and jumping for diversity in the raids.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

so this game is available pretty cheaply now due to its various missteps

I love the vibe/premise/aesthetic of this franchise, and enjoyed the first game (which I played at the end of its life cycle, after it got good) enough that I will probably give this a shot at some point

should I get it now while it's cheap, or wait for the deluxe bundle Bungie will inevitably release once they do a big Taken King-type expansion

I played every halo game pretty extensively and thus can probably be classed as a general Bungie shootmans fan

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:shrug:

The game is fun imo, I dunno what else I can tell you. Join a goon clan and click on heads.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fathis Munk posted:

If you don't find shooting mans in the head satisfying, this game is probably not for you yeah. There's a lot of head clicking, with some ball touching and running and jumping for diversity in the raids.

Other games scratch that itch much better for me.

PupsOfWar posted:

I love the vibe/premise/aesthetic of this franchise, and enjoyed the first game (which I played at the end of its life cycle, after it got good) enough that I will probably give this a shot at some point

should I get it now while it's cheap, or wait for the deluxe bundle Bungie will inevitably release once they do a big Taken King-type expansion

I played every halo game pretty extensively and thus can probably be classed as a general Bungie shootmans fan

If you can find it for less than $12 go for it. If not the Humble Monthly is 12 bucks and gets you the game + some others.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

PupsOfWar posted:

Come play. September is when most of us are going to sound the alarm of “you better return to this game because now the game is officially out” but this last expansion moved the game in a better direction.

Verdict: Yeah, come play for cheap.
Still on the fence?: September is when we all pile back in 100%. Even the goons who left after release...you’re coming back!

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Also, if anybody here does Humble Bundle Monthly, already owns the game and doesn’t want to sell their Destiny 2 key, I have and know plenty of goons who we could introduce the game to.

If you want your key to go to a good home, I’ll take it and let you know what goon I give it to. I already gave mine away to stuntrock because we are friends.

Just throwing this out there—would love to have even more goons come play and hopefully stick around.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

This game is indeed a lot more fun with an active group. Last week I did Leviathan and Eater of Worlds for the first time. Did EoW again today, all with goons.

Both times were a blast.

I can't say Destiny 2 is as good as Destiny 1, it isn't buuuttt the go-faster update was a great change and Warmind was waayyyy better than the Wet Shart of Osiris.

Hopefully things keep improving.

Edit: saying this because anyone having not good times playing solo should play with goons

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 28, 2018

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Ah, looks like I was dropped from the Hot Dog clan. Can I ask for a invite again? #RBunker1234

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I like how people think these retards will actually fix the game come September.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Revolver Bunker posted:

Ah, looks like I was dropped from the Hot Dog clan. Can I ask for a invite again? #RBunker1234

Invited. Double check and make sure I invited the right Rbunker.

And don’t forget to join the discord! :)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What exactly is being done in the much-vaunted September update?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Elysiume posted:

Lol it's all hopes and dreams and "hurr the taken King was good so this big revision will be too"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Elysiume posted:

:shrug: Bungie is essentially President Camacho right now.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I like how people think these retards will actually fix the game come September.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Elysiume posted:

Who knows. But the April? May? I can't remember tbh. The go-faster update seriously reduced the ability timers across the board for everything. The masterworks weapons add the ability to generate light orbs on double kills, so now your supers recharge faster in addition to going from the initial 7+ minute cooldown to only 5 minutes. Shorter with masterwork orb pickup.

It was a huge step in the right direction and general consensus is at least Destiny to is heading between dead-game (because devs have no idea what their base wants) and potentially being good enough to warrant a purchase now. Rather than straight ahead for dead-rear end-game as it was tanking very, very hard, and deservedly so.

Destiny 1 kind of went through the same process and eventually with The Taken King Destiny 1 loving soared from "it's a good time waster" to "this is really loving good." People are hopefully Destiny 2 has resumed this trend.

But it still boggles the mind how much they poo poo the loving bed with D2. Everything they learned, even stuff they learned the hard way, seemed like it was thrown out and they just learned hard into the whole "whatever people will play it because it is Destiny/Bungie."

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

doctor 7 posted:

But it still boggles the mind how much they poo poo the loving bed with D2. Everything they learned, even stuff they learned the hard way, seemed like it was thrown out and they just learned hard into the whole "whatever people will play it because it is Destiny/Bungie."

Watching the reveal today in the light of what year one has been, you can see exactly where that poo poo came from. They over-corrected HARD towards accessibility. One of the first things Luke Smith brings up in his intro to D2 is the fact that 50% of destiny players that have reached the level cap have completed at least one raid once. Which sounds great, but, if you're gonna spend time and resources on something, you really want more than half of all people that play your game to see it. And that means making sure that it's a formality to get raid ready, so the climb to max Light becomes so easy as to become meaningless.

Same principle applies to crucible. People complained it's hard to follow, so they jack up the cooldowns and the TTK, they make it so one gun can only ever be that one gun, and that results in the incredibly dull state of 4v4. So on and so forth, they throw the baby out with the bathwater, and now they're trying to find out how they can fill the tub again.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

They sure as hell haven't done any sort of fix for why nobody plays raids.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Everybody plays raids lol

That achievement is like 69% unlocked across the game population

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Elysiume posted:

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lol it's all hopes and dreams and "hurr the taken King was good so this big revision will be too"

All the Twitch streamers who were asked for their input at the community summit said they need to bring back random weapons and said it's going to be so amazing and they're super hyped and it's kinda funny when you think about the game taking one more step to be like D1 and said step being hailed as a lifesaver rather than a very small bullet point on a long list of much larger and more significant changes like it should be.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Argas posted:

They sure as hell haven't done any sort of fix for why nobody plays raids.

If anything, D2 has been extremely successful in getting the active playerbase involved in the raids.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Everybody plays raids lol

That achievement is like 69% unlocked across the game population

Nice

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I really need to get into raids on my day off, Leviathan seems really fun.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Eej posted:

If anything, D2 has been extremely successful in getting the active playerbase involved in the raids.

That's actually a surprise to me.

But they still need matchmaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Got sherpa'd through Leviathan with some goons today and had a blast. Highly recommend.

Also learned my new PC case has no USB 2.0 ports and 3.0 doesn't support my headset mic. Fun times.

• Locked thread