Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I will admit I haven't upgraded my modem to something that can handle my full 200mbits because I don't want to spend the money, and I only have the 200 because it was a promo that was cheaper than my 75. I can still download games off of Steam at 16mbps while my wife is streaming Netflix, that's good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Turns out the idea of 'enough' is subjective!

Running wires in my house sucks. WiFi works. That's enough for me

You haven’t lived until you’ve taken an eighteen inch drill bit through your wall from the outside to get gigabit to your second floor from your detached garage.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh, 18" long. I was wondering what sort of connector you had on the end.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
iSCSI over Wifi then?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Rorac posted:

:stare:

But that...

Why would that matter? HOW would that matter?

my guess would probably be dns not being possible but connection via ip is somehow

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Turns out the idea of 'enough' is subjective!

Running wires in my house sucks. WiFi works. That's enough for me

Older home not built for it, sure, but if you're building, I really don't see a point in NOT running conduit before drywall goes up.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

Older home not built for it, sure, but if you're building, I really don't see a point in NOT running conduit before drywall goes up.

Tubes are drat expensive (though obviously better if you wanna replace the cable). The builder quoted me more than $2000 for it. I opted for just cat6e in every bedroom, living room and kitchen, all meeting down in the basement (essentially a star configuration). That's "just" $1000.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Javid posted:

I clearly remember 28.8k dialup and have a hard time complaining about what minimal losses my AC router on 5ghz imparts to my 60 mbit connection. It works for everything I need it for.

You kids and your fast dialup.

Try 300bps on a Commodore 128 in C64 mode.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, we probably should have checked the cable earlier but it's been in use for weeks without issue. Also if it was just broken I would understand but I don't get how three wires in a cable suddenly rearrange themselves.
Since nobody else has said this yet, grats on your Schroedinbug.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

You kids and your fast dialup.

Try 300bps on a Commodore 128 in C64 mode.
The good thing about 300baud is that it's a perfect speed for reading irc while the text scrolls by, like I used to do.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

The good thing about 300baud is that it's a perfect speed for reading irc while the text scrolls by, like I used to do.

Oh God I just remembered I had to turn off color text on BBSs otherwise the even at that point sad 300 baud modem I was using took forever. Sending the formatting coding was too much haha.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Malek posted:

iSCSI over Wifi then?

:stonk:

Why... why would you say something like that? I'm not going to sleep tonight.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My dad's an electrician and ran Cat5e throughout the entire house I grew up in, so I got spoiled.

My FIL is also an electrician and did the exact same thing to his house. However, he's not a computer guy. When I saw the way he wired it I nearly had a conniption.

A for effort, I would've never been able to do that myself, but a solid C for execution.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I had electricians come in and do 4 drops of CAT6 in all of the following while my wife was away for a week:

Dining Room
Living Room
Bedroom
Wife's Study

All of which terminate in My Study in a patch panel.

They did such a good and clean job that you can't tell where the holes were drilled, and the conduit blends into the skirting boards. My wife did not even notice until I pointed the CAT6 plate out to her in her study.

£1300 all in, 3 sparkys for 3 days p much, including all material and labour. Best money ever spent. Would have taken me weeks and it would like rear end and my wife would never let me hear the end of what a shoddy job I did.

Also gently caress crimping/punching down.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

There seems to be a bunch of random conduits around my new house, but I can't figure out where they lead to/where the central point would be.

I suspect it was used to put satellite into multiple rooms in the past, but there's no cabling present now.

Considering working out at least how to get some wiring up from the router in the living room up to my study.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

£1300 for nine person-days of labour and all the bits is a very good price. Even if you only got one qualified spark and the other two were apprentices or whatever.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Weatherman posted:

:stonk:

Why... why would you say something like that? I'm not going to sleep tonight.

I assure you, my customers have said worse ideas.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Commodore 64 was my first computer experience, then aa 286, then a 486/sx, then a Pentium 100...I can go on and on. Man I loved computers back then. Now I work with them and dislike them.
Network chat - Cat5 for life. I'm starting to reno the house, and as I do that, I'm running cable as I can. I hate wireless.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I thought about wiring up for a network when remodeling, but everything besides laptops/tablets/phones is clustered around the TV already, which is where we had the internet tech set up the modem, so I only bothered right there so we could hang the TV on the wall and not have a mess of cables going to it. The old desktop is also there as an HTPC.

So we have that, the TV, and the game consoles wired up, and we just keep everything else on wifi. We're remodeling one room at a time, and we have 10 mbps rural 4G, so wifi isn't hurting anything speed-wise.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Renegret posted:

My FIL is also an electrician and did the exact same thing to his house. However, he's not a computer guy. When I saw the way he wired it I nearly had a conniption.

A for effort, I would've never been able to do that myself, but a solid C for execution.

I'm curious what he did, as a computer guy who did a little bit of wiring work as a teenager.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm curious what he did, as a computer guy who did a little bit of wiring work as a teenager.

God how do I even explain this one?

In the basement, there was a 4 port ethernet drop that I was trying to plug something into but none of the ports were working. The drop itself was hilarious too, it was installed in one of the cabinets of a computer desk, with the back cut out to give access to the wall. Since nothing was working, I asked him for some help, so he took me into the garage. He had a bunch of 4 port consumer switches daisy chained to each other, with a rats nest of (thankfully labeled) cat5 wires. The basement wire was unplugged for some reason, so he rewired the whole house until he freed one of the 4 port switches and plugged the basement in. Then he took the switch back to the 4 port drop in the basement, and plugged all 4 ports into the switch. Finally, he closed the cabinet door so the whole thing was nicely tucked away and hidden from view.

Turns out, only the top right port in that drop went to the garage for the LAN. The other 3 ports went to different parts of the basement, and that 4 port drop was actually a make shift patch panel. In hindsight I guess it's not THAT bad, but at the time I had shellshock from my confusion as to why he was using a consumer switch to plug a drop into itself before I realized what he did. For the record, he's a very good electrician and everything was labeled and well organized (except the drop, apparently), but it was needlessly complicated and totally poo poo in the face of standard convention because he simply doesn't know better. The wiring job was fine, it's just that the network design was questionable.

They've since sold that house and moved. While we were clearing out the garage, I found an honest to god patch panel mounted on the wall, and clearly still in use for...something. I didn't ask what it was for, I was happier that way. When he remodels his next house, I'm buying him a 14 port switch and miles of cat6e.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 28, 2018

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

I always learned that as long as the wires are the same on both ends, and you keep the pairs paired, the actual colors didn't matter. Is this not true? :confused:

Your wiring will fail certifying tests if you do this as they’re not wired to a standard. If you don’t split the pairs relative to the positioning maybe it works but why would you do that.

Just do it properly for TIA-568B like 99% of plant so that you don’t have to get your rear end kicked when you rewire something in a vendor warranted plant and violate that warranty.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Partycat posted:

Your wiring will fail certifying tests if you do this as they’re not wired to a standard. If you don’t split the pairs relative to the positioning maybe it works but why would you do that.

Just do it properly for TIA-568B like 99% of plant so that you don’t have to get your rear end kicked when you rewire something in a vendor warranted plant and violate that warranty.

Even tho not every length of cable has the same color pairs? I've seen spools that used red instead of brown, and other spools where it was almost impossible to tell the difference between brown and orange. This was all certified cable.

Full disclosure, I'm a sysadmin, so I have never cabled a data center. I've only ever run cable in someones home.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Aren't the twist rates on each pair different to each other - and are they consistently different (e.g. twist on the orange pair is always x), or are PHYs good enough as long as there's sufficient difference to keep the crosstalk down?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

RFC2324 posted:

Even tho not every length of cable has the same color pairs? I've seen spools that used red instead of brown, and other spools where it was almost impossible to tell the difference between brown and orange. This was all certified cable.

Full disclosure, I'm a sysadmin, so I have never cabled a data center. I've only ever run cable in someones home.

Every length of cable should absolutely have the same color pairs. The standard is orange-white, orange, green-white, blue, blue-white, green, brown-white, brown (that's B, swap the two oranges and the two greens for A). It should always be those eight (four) colors. What you're describing is probably just super-cheap cable and/or fading colors. Old cable can eventually have the colors fade away almost completely, and let me tell you that's a lot of fun to repair. I'm not telling you it's impossible that some manufacturer has some weird nonstandard color scheme, but if they do, it's just that: nonstandard.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It doesn't matter which twisting rates you use on which pairs, so long as they're all different from each other pair, and consistent through the cable.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

fishmech posted:

It doesn't matter which twisting rates you use on which pairs, so long as they're all different from each other pair, and consistent through the cable.

For once I can recommend that you take this up with an inanimate object - a calibrated cable certifying tester - which has expected results for various levels of signal integrity given a cable type and performance standard . You probably want to check as you may have blown the lid off a massive industry wide scam.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Telecom color code is standard at this point. On 5e you could usually ascertain which of the two “browns” was orange on lovely cable but yeah, not good.

There’s a lot of headroom for 100BaseT/1000BaseT where usually you get away with things being less than perfect. For most of the work we have been doing for the last 25 years we’ve clearly all seen you can get away with a lot.

But, when you’re buying cable that has questionable cladding, or no per reel test results because it’s $150/box from Amazon, you should be prepared for this to possibly bite you in the rear end later. If this doesn’t matter because it is a 7 foot patch to a printer then go for it.

If you’re building infrastructure where you want to use 10GBaseT or 802.3bz then when you find you don’t get that perf and you’re pulling a second cable to your wave2 ac access point you’ll wish you’d done better.

But again for the most part for most of what we deal with, wires is wires so you usually can’t justify the expense when it “works fine” - and usually does, even out of spec.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Malek posted:

iSCSI over Wifi then?

I actually set up a dedicated WAP once just to do this. It works, but about as performant as one would expect. It was a hilarious conversation piece, though: it was fun to show people my lab and say, “yeah, we are about to set up a wireless iscsi storage network between buildings for our prod environment. Why?”

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You prove the database guys right once that storage latency is a problem and it will haunt you forever

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Agrikk posted:

You haven’t lived until you’ve taken an eighteen inch drill bit through your wall from the outside to get gigabit to your second floor from your detached garage.

hammer drills are a hell of a thing; I don't recall using it on brick though, I'm sure it would gently caress brick up horribly.

v-- Shatter I doubt, but it's pretty likely the hole will be larger than the bit.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 28, 2018

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I feel like that might just shatter the brick.

Double post edit:

Ticket came in. Subject: Microsoft from remote server. Body: While using <software> is not work

Lovely.

ChubbyThePhat fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 28, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Putting like a 10mm hole through a brick wall is easy with a decent SDS drill - just make sure you have a good idea of how thick the wall is. I went through a skin of brick, another skin of concrete block and then a plasterboard skim and didn't tear anything up. You can feel once you're at the small gap between the plasterboard and the concrete and calm it down a bit.

If you need a bigger hole then put a larger drill through afterwards but go from the outside in halfway each time. If you need a massive hole then core drill it.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 28, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

“A hammer drill will shatter brick” is some crazy talk, drilling into bricks is what they’re for.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Jaded Burnout posted:

“A hammer drill will shatter brick” is some crazy talk, drilling into bricks is what they’re for.

Yeah, I just recalled we did have some smaller brick bits, I generally used larger carbon/diamond tipped bits to get through slabs/foundation walls, but we did have a few 6-8" bits made for brick, they were smaller in circumference and I don't think they were diamond tipped.

v-- Nah you can drill through standard masonry bricks, although if they're really old and falling apart already it's likely you could do more damage than you want.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Upon further consideration; yeah that's crazy. I admittedly haven't drilled anything more than plywood pretty much ever in my life, so for some reason thought those lovely little red bricks would react very poorly to being assaulted. Maybe they even would, but I'm going to wager those aren't the bricks in question.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jaded Burnout posted:

If you give it the beans you will blow half a brick out on the other side of the wall quite easily

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I give no beans

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'm gonna start using "give it the beans" any time I need to kick a printer to restart it, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Wireless chat: I don't think i'll ever trust wireless when i'm still playing online games.

I wouldn't give a poo poo if I was just browsing or watching youtube, because whatever it'll pick up. But packets dropping for 30 seconds is enough to get me hosed out of whatever lobby i'm in.

Also troubleshooting wired is far easier than troubleshooting wireless, from my very, very limited experience.