Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

fast cars loose anus posted:

Imagine if I went back to 2015 and told you that in 3 years the Astros would have the majors' best rotation and Keuchel would arguably be the worst part of it

e: arguably isn't even fair to McCullers after today's wet fart

I feel like I'd be angry at you for not opening with the fact that the team won a world series

oh hey top of the page: ASTROS ARE THE REIGNING WORLD CHAMPS BTW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

TheChirurgeon posted:

I feel like I'd be angry at you for not opening with the fact that the team won a world series

And rob you of the pleasant surprise? Hardly

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Fisher sent to the 10-day DL for “gastrointestinal discomfort”, so he’s either got appendicitis or he can’t stop making GBS threads.

Either way, they’ve called up Davis.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ESPN posted:

With seven scoreless innings from Lance McCullers, the Astros' rotation ERA sits at 2.25. It's averaging 10.55 strikeouts per nine innings -- just about equal to Randy Johnson's career rate of 10.6. Batters are hitting .186 against them -- that's less than the .195 average Pedro Martinez held hitters to during his 1997-2002 peak. They've allowed a .254 wOBA -- only seven regular batters are worse this season. Incredible.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The Astro Lounge 2018: We Can’t Get Hits, But We Can Hit Dongs

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Dallas is the official #5 in our rotation and should be treated as such.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I brought this up in the GDT the other night but besides all the other amazing stats about our rotation, Verlander is rocking a 376 ERA+ right now

No one has ever posted a 300+ over a season and surely his will come down but wow

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

fast cars loose anus posted:

I brought this up in the GDT the other night but besides all the other amazing stats about our rotation, Verlander is rocking a 376 ERA+ right now

No one has ever posted a 300+ over a season and surely his will come down but wow

He is on a another level for sure. If it wasn't for Cole he would be hands down #1 Cy Young contender.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
:rip: Johnathon ":420:" Singleton

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-rotation-could-rank-among-best-ever/c-277542622

:woop:

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Now that we've had a few years to settle into the AL West, I find my baseball hates have shifted.

Back in the NLC, I despised the Cards and Cubs...but was indifferent about the Brewers and actually kind of liked the Pirates. I also tended to forget the Reds existed.

I still hate the Cards because that's the Correct Take, but the Cubs not so much.

Now its the Angels and Rangers I hate, Oakland I'm indifferent about and I actually like the Mariners.

Is this the correct way to think about the AL West?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

gently caress the Cardinals has become gently caress the Rangers. I don't care for the Angels at all, like the Mariners and Athletics.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Apparently if you remove that 8 run meltdown inning against the Twins, McCullers's ERA drops down to 2.20

That would still leave him with only the fourth best ERA in the rotation

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
lol if you haven't always taken the stance "gently caress the Rangers" even when the Astros were in the NL

Also, still gently caress the Cardinals forever

I don't particularly care about the Athletics and Mariners and Angels. Hell, I've had a soft spot for the A's since I first read Moneyball back in 2005 and the Angels seem pretty fun right now.

Eventually this may shift, I guess

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

My hatred in the NL was 1. Cardinals, 2. Yankees, 3. Rangers. The Rangers and Cardinals have swapped positions.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

On the one hand I'm sad about the AL move because gently caress the DH and also I used to like the A's and Mariners (and I still kinda do but maaaaan) but at least now I get to like the Brewers

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
also, gently caress the Yankees

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I feel like the move to the AL was just so we would have to continue to face Pujols for as long as the dude plays. He was the primary reason I hated the cards and is now the primary reason I hate the Angels.

Edit: Always and forever 'gently caress the Yankees'.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Astro Lounge: gently caress the Yankees

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The leg infection Reddick gave himself by digging at an ingrown hair has worsened, which means...

...marisnick is back

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The leg infection Reddick gave himself by digging at an ingrown hair has worsened, which means...

...marisnick is back

christ, that's gross

in both ways

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
gently caress the Yankees, Cardinals and Rangers, regardless of league, but I'm also old enough to remember the original gently caress the Dodgers days as well as gently caress the Braves.

I just can't hate on Seattle though, they were my AL team growing up, especially after Ken Griffey Jr.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
gently caress the Yankees on principle
gently caress the Red Sox on merit
gently caress the Braves for their constant commercials in the 90’s

I would say gently caress the Rangers, but living and playing in a Dallas suburb is punishment enough.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
gently caress the Rangers and Yankees and basically everyone else I kinda don't care about

soft spot for the Mariners though

That's gross about Reddick's leg

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Reddick would be the type to keep loving with an ingrown hair

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Verlander allowed one run in six innings today and his ERA went up

It's almost June

He still has fewer earned runs allowed than starts

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Verlander: best trade or greatest trade in franchise history?

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The Astros scouting, management, and health/fitness team should be given a lot of credit for the pitching success. They've struck gold 3 times in the last in last year and a half buying low on pitchers with injury problems and turning them all into pitchers that would be #1s on just about any other team. Arguably, the JV and Cole trades are less impressive because they had a good body of work pre-injuries, but getting them back to absolute top form combined with the success of Charlie Morton has to be indicative that something is very right in the Astros system.

Between them and the Rockets, it's good to be a fan of competently run teams.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Really like Kemp in the 9 hole. He is getting on base for Springer and Bregman to drive him in.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Blind Pineapple posted:

The Astros scouting, management, and health/fitness team should be given a lot of credit for the pitching success. They've struck gold 3 times in the last in last year and a half buying low on pitchers with injury problems and turning them all into pitchers that would be #1s on just about any other team. Arguably, the JV and Cole trades are less impressive because they had a good body of work pre-injuries, but getting them back to absolute top form combined with the success of Charlie Morton has to be indicative that something is very right in the Astros system.

Between them and the Rockets, it's good to be a fan of competently run teams.

And of course the T... the T... *hork*... the Te....

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

What's the consensus on this 4 game series with the Indians? I feel like we leave with a split.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is anyone here still worried about the Astros? I told y'all not to panic.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
All I want is for Dallas Keuchel to play like a #2 starter. I paid :10bux: for this avatar!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

gently caress the Angels and gently caress the Yankees are just correct opinions regardless of your team affiliations

and of course gently caress the Cardinals when we were in the NL Central and gently caress the Braves was probably second because of bouncing us in the playoffs forever

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I can't put the Rangers at #1 on my hate list because they have a bunch of Venezuelans

gently caress the Cardinals forever and ever

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Kirios posted:

Is anyone here still worried about the Astros? I told y'all not to panic.

I was never worried about the Astros.

We'll see how Kemp plays out in the long term, but surprisingly, the offense looks much better when the bottom of the order isn't a black hole.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Oh my god I can’t believe I forgot gently caress the Cardinals

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm going to be at Astros-Yankees on Tuesday :smug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Edward Mass posted:

I'm going to be at Astros-Yankees on Tuesday :smug:

Here lies Ed Mass, pummeled to death by drunk yankees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'll be back in Houston late August and I'm planning on going to the August 29th game against the Athletics. I'm leaning towards Crawford Boxes tickets (Want to get Shake Shack and maybe a ball during BP or the game itself). Is this a good seat or should I look elsewhere? Should I buy the tickets now or wait closer to the game itself?

• Locked thread