Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The new Maul movie looks great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I legit believe there will be a Maul movie within the next decade unless he gets a bunch of backstory in the Kenobi movie.

More McGregor as Kenobi is a dumb spinoff I’m actually looking forward to, to be fair

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

xiw posted:

I actually found the dialogue incredibly hard to hear in this movie - I haven't missed so many important lines since Interstellar.

I noticed this too. My thought was maybe they were intentionally burying a few choice flubs by Aldehn in the mix to compensate for what was otherwise the best take given the circumstances/reshoots.

Overall I enjoyed the movie, but the same as all of the other Disney SW movies they obviously never had a final cut to score properly less than a day before release so that aspect got pushed as far from the fore as is permissible. The music for these films now is as cookie cutter as having laugh tracks on sitcoms. Don't even need a live studio audience/band, just set up a soundboard and mash a few loops every twenty seconds.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

one of the weirdest things about the Disney Star Wars is how mismanaged everything seems at like, a production level post TFA. like say what you want about TFA but the movie is polished to a mirror sheen. everything since has been kind of a mess in one way or another, mixed with the weird statement that they had no plan/arc planned out for the franchise post TFA and it’s like, what is going on over there. it feels like a bizarre level of gently caress it for such a massive franchise and investment

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Even TFA was a clusterfuck of a production and post-production, considering Abrams and Kennedy were begging to have the movie pushed to May 2016, Iger refused because it had already been delayed once, post-production was frenzied (Nyongo said she had to go in five or six times to record her dialogue because Maz's character kept changing) and Abrams did a near-total re-edit of the whole thing like a month before release. That it feels as polished as it does is a minor miracle.

If anything, Last Jedi is the one that went the most smoothly, considering Johnson had the final picture locked in the third week of September.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I legit believe there will be a Maul movie within the next decade unless he gets a bunch of backstory in the Kenobi movie.

More McGregor as Kenobi is a dumb spinoff I’m actually looking forward to, to be fair

We have a canon death before ANH for maul, his movie would be even more useless than rogue one. At least solo gave us Donald Glover in some cool capes. I don't know if the hot topic crowd can sustain a movie.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ingmar terdman posted:

ok just checked to make sure this was the spoiler thread before posting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B1hLltaDbg

disney stopped doing this bit because it was damaging the prestige of the lucrative star wars brand I'm not loving joking

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Maul didn't need to be kept around for the other movies but I think Dooku should have been in Episode I.

Or just give his role to Mace Windu - Jackson's "bad cop Jedi" character seemed to only come about because he kept asking Lucas to give him more action, and even then it was pretty limp.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

bushisms.txt posted:

We have a canon death before ANH for maul, his movie would be even more useless than rogue one. At least solo gave us Donald Glover in some cool capes. I don't know if the hot topic crowd can sustain a movie.

Who knows, the below got plenty of coverage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djo_91jN3Pk

And there is some stuff to see - like how he survived but I am sure that's covered in comics and stuff.

I'd like to say people like Maul - a lot.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

do a loving Mace Windu movie you cowards

if darth maul survives being cut in half and dropped 5000 feet on his head down a reactor tube im pretty sure Mace Windu could survive an attack that’s literally killed like no one in Star Wars ever

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Cutting off a hand and being thrown out into the void may as well be a walk down the street for a Force-user

I'm sure Mace Windu is bumming around who-knows-where doing who-knows-what

He's probably chilling on some forest moon and playing some Pazaak

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

I still can’t get over the mention of Teras Kasi. Of all the awful references to the old EU that was something else.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Duckula posted:

I still can’t get over the mention of Teras Kasi. Of all the awful references to the old EU that was something else.

Only the most dedicated nerds would ever get the reference. I'm a huge dork and I needed to google it. That kind of subtle reference is fine, it's ridiculous stuff like the cartoon character Darth Maul reference that went overboard.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Mandrel posted:

if darth maul survives being cut in half and dropped 5000 feet on his head down a reactor tube im pretty sure Mace Windu could survive an attack that’s literally killed like no one in Star Wars ever

Sam and George both agree with this. I would totally be down for an origin story where it's mace dealing with the purple Crystal's evilness in his lightsaber, as a flashback while he's in hiding on some planet during order 66.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Mandrel posted:

I disagree about giving him his own movie, but being a major character in an Obi Wan film would be nice.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
A Lando movie is the needful, Donald Glover was pretty much the best part of Solo.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
As much as I'd enjoy seeing Glover's Lando (and McGregor's Obi Wan) again, I don't want to see Lando: A Star Wars Story. These characters don't need origin stories. Put them in a real story like Rogue One or something. Preferably though, just develop new characters and stories. It's a big galaxy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
They don't need to be origin stories, they just need to be "a story where X person is a major character."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bushisms.txt posted:

We have a canon death before ANH for maul, his movie would be even more useless than rogue one.
We had a canon death before AotC for Maul too.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Duckula posted:

As a child who had no friends because every time I invited someone over to play Masters of Teras Kasi with me I owned the poo poo out of them with Vader's boomerang lightsaber move on endless loop, gently caress you I clapped at that reference and you can suck on these balls. :madmax:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Handen posted:

As a child who had no friends because every time I invited someone over to play Masters of Teras Kasi with me I owned the poo poo out of them with Vader's boomerang lightsaber move on endless loop, gently caress you I clapped at that reference and you can suck on these balls. :madmax:

Seriously. Most ps1 fighting games are uninspired trash but nothing loving beats pile driving luke Skywalker into the ground as a gamorrean guard making pig noises and shooting a swirling ring of fire out your rear end.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
When I saw this last night I laughed so hard I erupted into a goddamn coughing fit and almost threw up.

edit: I should prob use a different verb than "erupted"

ah gently caress it.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Ingmar terdman posted:

I'm always surprised when people think Maul should have been kept through the PT though. He was so unappealing, I think somewhat by design. Even when I was a kid I thought it was weird that he was just kind of Sheev's dumb attack dog, and despite all the years of establishing him as a spooky 3D chess crime master, it's still hard for me to square with how he's presented in TPM. Just kind of a blunt instrument. As far as all the bad and good warrior-monks in these movies go he always seemed all warrior no monk. eh

No dialogue. No motivation. No screen time. Maul has always seemed to me like just another example of why the prequels were trash. And now, there's all these young folks saying that he's awesome. I guess I'm just too old.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Ema Nymton posted:

No dialogue. No motivation. No screen time. Maul has always seemed to me like just another example of why the prequels were trash. And now, there's all these young folks saying that he's awesome. I guess I'm just too old.

The entire story in TPM is about this band of do-gooders thinking they’ve saved the world when in fact they’ve just empowered a fascist and achieved all of his goals for him. Maul turning out to be a nothing is the point—he's just a scary face whose death gives the Jedi an empty victory.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ema Nymton posted:

Nah, Maul's the same as Boba Fett: He's a plot device with a few lines of dialogue, but because he looks cool, he has this mystique around him.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Ema Nymton posted:

I actually rewatched the prequels over the weekend because I had nothing else to do. It blows my mind that anyone can romanticize those movies. They're really not very good. They're not worse than I remember them, just dumber than I remember. Seeing online reactions to TLJ really makes me appreciate the fact that Twitter didn't exist until after the last prequel film was released. Granted, message board users (hey goons!) bitched about them more than enough, but there wasn't a giant bullhorn into infinity to spread that negativity to.

In my opinion, the only one-up the PT really has on something like Last Jedi is that the plots beef up the lore of Star Wars a lot more than anything Disney has done with their two cracks at the primary saga. Maybe that's in the eye of the beholder. But my only real complaint with the two new trilogy movies is that I don't think any of it really matters. It's all in the shadow of a nasty Empire that already had its rear end kicked in pretty epic fashion. My personal preference would have been to repeat the beats of the PT and actually show forces coming together to create a new threat to the galaxy instead of just handing us 'Diet Empire' and this half-assed version of the Rebellion. Same cool looking poo poo, a lot less calories.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I always liked the nerd headcanon idea of having Dooku be a Jedi in I, and having Maul and Grievous be the same person. The prequels suffer from not having consistent villains. You've got Sheev but the good guys don't know about him so he feels different from a proper villain like Vader.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

You could say that each of the villains represent a piece of what Vader would become, which is an interesting concept, but they don't really have much to do with his arc as a character so just sort of fall flat if that was the intention.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I always liked the nerd headcanon idea of having Dooku be a Jedi in I, and having Maul and Grievous be the same person. The prequels suffer from not having consistent villains. You've got Sheev but the good guys don't know about him so he feels different from a proper villain like Vader.

Never heard this but I could get into it. Dooku is a Windu-like naysayer of Anakin on the council, and then in the next one he's secretly doing clone stuff and then you have his turn revealed. And then you can still have Maul come back in a robot suit and have an Obi rematch. Kinda not awful

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Timby posted:

Nah, Maul's the same as Boba Fett: He's a plot device with a few lines of dialogue, but because he looks cool, he has this mystique around him.

That's a good analogy.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's a good analogy.

So far we have no NuCanon source claiming Fett survived the Sarlacc, do we?
Even in the Aftermath books, where we see some guy on Tatooine buying a set of battle (and stomach acid) damaged Mandalorian armor, it never mentions Fett's fate explicitly.
My bet is his survival will either be revealed in the Fett movie or the media leading up to it. Depending how close after ROTJ the Resistance TV show is set, we might even see him in there.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Ema Nymton posted:

Maul is popular for the same reason Boba Fett is because they look cool. Star Wars is a franchise designed to sell toys and n64 games at the end of the day.

At least Thrawn is a fleshed out character.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Robot Style posted:

You could say that each of the villains represent a piece of what Vader would become, which is an interesting concept, but they don't really have much to do with his arc as a character so just sort of fall flat if that was the intention.

I know Grievous's coughing was meant to foreshadow Vader's sinister breathing. It came off as kind of goofy rather than creepy most of the time.

Obi-Wan making Grievous look like a massive dork every time they're on screen together was good fun, though.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

I know Grievous's coughing was meant to foreshadow Vader's sinister breathing. It came off as kind of goofy rather than creepy most of the time.

Obi-Wan making Grievous look like a massive dork every time they're on screen together was good fun, though.

And the lengths they went to keep Anakin and Grievous apart were quite amusing

Closest they ever got was in the unfinished, but still canon Utapau arc

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's like poetry, it rhymes. :colbert:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ema Nymton posted:

It's amazing what a story that actually builds his character (as in, gives him one at all) and makes him more than a random villain of the week/movie can do.

I don't understand why people are so against the idea of taking characters who originally had very little and like, actually giving them something to do. Why not fix something and make it better? Use the potential that was originally unrealized?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Ema Nymton posted:

star wars has always been about design imho that is why people like the cool looking things and are correct tod o so

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Taintrunner posted:

disney stopped doing this bit because it was damaging the prestige of the lucrative star wars brand I'm not loving joking

Uhh yes. Everything Disney does is absolute garbage, and it only gets worse the further you get from their filmmaking.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Zas posted:

star wars has always been about design imho that is why people like the cool looking things and are correct tod o so

This is true - the making of book for the first film mentions a bunch of times how Lucas basically just had a few scenes/images he wanted to put on screen and had to build a story around them.

The only scenes that appear in every draft of the script are the Death Star battle, the cantina, and (up until the final draft) a character slamming their left fist down on a table, splitting their arm open and dramatically revealing that they're entirely mechanical other than their head and right arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
gently caress that last part sounds metal as hell