Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Re-watching Karate kid a few years back I kinda saw it different- with my more modern eyes Daniel is kinda of a self proclaimed "white knight" and objectifies the poo poo out of the girl, while Johnny, while a troubled kid, isn't really that bad of a guy and just has a terrible influence in Kreese.

"No such thing as bad student, only bad teacher." It was a line we all blew off in the 80's, because obviously Johnny was the villain, but this entire new series is based on that. Johnny was never a terrible person, he was just a kid with bad role models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Johnny and Daniel, same.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I know this is a goofy observation, but I loved Johnny's "down the forearm bottle cap snap." That's so 80's.

This post sponsored by Coor's Banquet.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Just when you think you don’t have any more Coors Banquet left, in comes Johnny Lawrence to check behind the big ol box of Pacifico yeeeeeeah

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I get the feeling that William Zabka(Johnny) really likes Coors and they didn't plan on the product placement at all.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

someone finally made a tribute to the fail son

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Aq61C9ayE

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Just finished watching the show. It was great!

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Re-watching Karate kid a few years back I kinda saw it different- with my more modern eyes Daniel is kinda of a self proclaimed "white knight" and objectifies the poo poo out of the girl, while Johnny, while a troubled kid, isn't really that bad of a guy and just has a terrible influence in Kreese.

Some else said that it was a good balance of 80's machismo and millenial "snowflakiness". I liked how the show addresses how bullying has never left, it just took more insidious forms now that it can be done anonymously and online. Even Johnny thought it was too much, and that should tell you something, since he ran Daniel off a cliff! :v:

GORDON posted:

"No such thing as bad student, only bad teacher." It was a line we all blew off in the 80's, because obviously Johnny was the villain, but this entire new series is based on that. Johnny was never a terrible person, he was just a kid with bad role models.

I was ready to not like Johnny from what I remembered from the movie, but the series did a really good job of showing that, yes he's kind of an rear end in a top hat, but he's not cartoonish-evil: accepting the girl when she shows she can take and dish punishment, praising Eli HAWK when he changed his looks to be more badass, talking to his ex-wife about taking his kid back for a while to make sure he goes to school.

If anything, I'm surprised I ended up disliking Daniel as much as I did by the end. I think it's to show how people can just coast through life because they were "the champion", whereas for someone like Johnny, being branded a loser results on people judging him more harshly and not giving him the same chances.

I liked how complex the relationship between Sam and Miguel was, that neither of them is "the bad guy". They both made mistakes that led to their break-up, and makes me hope that they will learn from this, without needing to get back together.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

etalian posted:

someone finally made a tribute to the fail son

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Aq61C9ayE

I love that they resent that kid so much that his creation is an acceptable reason for the wife not to do karate. That would be incredibly sad if Antonio deserved any pity (he does not).

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Propaganda Machine posted:

I love that they resent that kid so much that his creation is an acceptable reason for the wife not to do karate. That would be incredibly sad if Antonio deserved any pity (he does not).

Like Johnny before him, Antonio just has a terrible role-model: the internet, and Daniel during his worst period of bougie emptiness. Of course the kid grew up thinking karate was dumb if all he ever saw his dad do with it was sell cars to rich bastards

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Butter-drinker is the best character in this show.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

zeal posted:

Like Johnny before him, Antonio just has a terrible role-model: the internet, and Daniel during his worst period of bougie emptiness. Of course the kid grew up thinking karate was dumb if all he ever saw his dad do with it was sell cars to rich bastards

But the mom is awesome. Also, differentiating Street Fighter (I think) from karate because "it has fireballs" doesn't indicate the depth of thinking that would associate karate with late stage capitalism. He thinks karate is stupid because he's a petulant little poo poo, not because he engages in critical thinking.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Not letting her text her friends to let them know she's grounded is a move that costs her all her cool mom points, especially when there's no good reason to do that other than that the plot needs it to happen.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Propaganda Machine posted:

maybe the fail genes are tied to the Y side of the family?

Sort of like how Sam is badass compared to her fat lazy brother.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Thranguy posted:

Not letting her text her friends to let them know she's grounded is a move that costs her all her cool mom points, especially when there's no good reason to do that other than that the plot needs it to happen.

On the other hand, would've killed Sam to use the phone at the living room/kitchen to call Miguel and tell him she was grounded?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: drat it

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

On the other hand, would've killed Sam to use the phone at the living room/kitchen to call Miguel and tell him she was grounded?

In this day and age would she have any chance to remember his number without a contacts list?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Thranguy posted:

In this day and age would she have any chance to remember his number without a contacts list?

I'd expect learning Miguel's contact info would be the first thing she'd do as his girlfriend.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Rhyno posted:

Butter-drinker is the best character in this show.

How did I miss the butter-drinking scene?! Maybe I got up to get a straw for my tall glass of melted butter soda

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LadyPictureShow posted:

How did I miss the butter-drinking scene?! Maybe I got up to get a straw for my tall glass of melted butter soda

Shame on you.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

joebuddah posted:

I wish I could justify keeping youtube red but the other shows are crap and so is the music.
Since all it does is pull the audio from youtube videos, the sound levels are all over the place.

I thought Good Game was pretty good

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'd expect learning Miguel's contact info would be the first thing she'd do as his girlfriend.

Ha, I've been married 8 years and if I try to say my wife's number without looking I got a 50/50 shot

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

So does "The Next Karate Kid" exist in this world? Can we expect a Hillary Swank cameo in the future after Daniel messes up teaching his students?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

At their age their communication would be 100% snapchat/whatsapp/facebook messenger/something we've never heard of so no. She wouldn't know his contact information.

freeranger posted:

So does "The Next Karate Kid" exist in this world? Can we expect a Hillary Swank cameo in the future after Daniel messes up teaching his students?

Screw that, lets bring back Michael Ironside. :getin:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

freeranger posted:

They'd probably have to dip in to magical Google money to come even close to affording her.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The creators have said all the movies are cannon. All of them.

Which means I REALLY should watch them.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

MiddleOne posted:

Screw that, lets bring back Michael Ironside. :getin:

:aaaaa: Oh my god. I had totally forgotten he was in that. (Just goes to show what a lovely movie it really was).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

:aaaaa: Oh my god. I had totally forgotten he was in that. (Just goes to show what a lovely movie it really was).

It's also Walt Goggins second (maybe third) film appearance.

And yes, he's always had that forehead.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

^^^

That is awesome, I saw his name when I looked up the IMDB page of it and was amazed he was in it. Made even better by your description of his forehead!

I also really enjoyed KK3 when I was a kid.

I couldn't tell you a thing about it now, other than the Bonzai tree on the side of the cliff scene, and err the punching the photo of the other karate guy....

Skyfire
Jul 2, 2004

freeranger posted:

Well she spends half the movie looking after a hawk......

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Did the next karate kid get panned as hard as the new Ghostbusters for using a woman? I don't remember

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It got panned for being lovely in general and basically retelling the first movie without adding anything new or compelling.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Wasn't Johnny a returning champion in KK1?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All I remember about next karate kid is a guy in charge of school ROTC orders all his cadets to attack Hillary sank in rain in a circle of fire for little discernible reason? I think he's mad cause she dated one of his recruits?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Wasn't Johnny a returning champion in KK1?

Yea, and while Johnny moved on, had a family, a divorce and all that, Larusso wouldn't let anyone loving forget about it and canonized his living self into a champion bourgeoisie.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The main love interest of Swank's character in The Next Karate Kid had the reverse Machio going. He was only 23 during the filming of the movie but looked to be in his mid thirties at best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc2Ctw8pGrc

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Even if she doesn’t have much going for her these days, it’d be really hard to get Hilary Swank into this show by virtue of the fact that she’s Hilary Swank and will upstage EVERYONE on this show just by standing still. It would either have to be a fun cameo, or Julie Pierce would have to turn into the kind of Joker-esque villain that makes Terry Silver look like Putnam from The Wizard, creating a credible threat that would force Johnny and Daniel to work together.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He could run into her while visiting Miyagi's grave

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DivisionPost posted:

Even if she doesn’t have much going for her these days, it’d be really hard to get Hilary Swank into this show by virtue of the fact that she’s Hilary Swank and will upstage EVERYONE on this show just by standing still. It would either have to be a fun cameo, or Julie Pierce would have to turn into the kind of Joker-esque villain that makes Terry Silver look like Putnam from The Wizard, creating a credible threat that would force Johnny and Daniel to work together.

Yeah what happened to her career? She was A list for the longest time (I could never understand why) and then she fell off a cliff.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She's just over forty and women over forty don't get cast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

She's just over forty and women over forty don't get cast