Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway the best battle theme is ar tonelico because it rewards you with ten seconds of stock sound sample rap at the end, for no reason. doesn't fit anywhere in the song. it just, turns into a rap at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKUljsCXyzU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

anyway the best battle theme is ar tonelico because it rewards you with ten seconds of stock sound sample rap at the end, for no reason. doesn't fit anywhere in the song. it just, turns into a rap at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKUljsCXyzU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CugyaQzmx8

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Its weird to me that so many games can only have one general battle song when Earthbound figured out it was better to have a bunch back in 1994.

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if there were games that came before Earthbound that had a bunch of battle songs.

it should be a cardinal sin for rpgs to only have one non-boss battle theme

I really dig Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates way of handling music though. maps will have a calm track playing that smoothly transitions into a more percussive and bombastic version of the same track when a battle starts up and then transitions back when it ends

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh0vPLWj_7U

atelier ftw

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Actually, if the pubg devs did win their Stealing Our Gameplay case, wouldn't that set a huge precedent for every proto-battle royale game to vulture in and pick their company's bones dry? :v:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Looper posted:

it should be a cardinal sin for rpgs to only have one non-boss battle theme

I really dig Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates way of handling music though. maps will have a calm track playing that smoothly transitions into a more percussive and bombastic version of the same track when a battle starts up and then transitions back when it ends

Xenosaga 1 with a single battle theme except for literally the final boss. In fairness they were both pretty good, though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Mystic Quest will always be the game with the best battle music

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Having a strong hook to open your normal battle theme is fine if that hook is incredibly good, Atelier again ahead of the curve there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDc96BpTN_s

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I still love the FF13 battle theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Cg92jbc88

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This battle music is also very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEW3VQiRdQM

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh man i love that song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHl4X6KiJLQ

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone know a good browser other than Firefox and Chrome? I like having multiple browsers open for various things (general browsing, videos, reference pics, etc.) since it keeps my tabs from being cluttered. I'd be using Microsoft Edge for some stuff but I'm sick of it so I'm looking for something better.

Or just a way to have multiple windows from one browser show up as separate tabs on the task bar.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also literally every boss theme in Drakengard 3 is fantastic.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Anyone know a good browser other than Firefox and Chrome? I like having multiple browsers open for various things (general browsing, videos, reference pics, etc.) since it keeps my tabs from being cluttered. I'd be using Microsoft Edge for some stuff but I'm sick of it so I'm looking for something better.

Or just a way to have multiple windows from one browser show up as separate tabs on the task bar.
if you use multiple profiles in chrome they show up separately on the taskbar

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

You can have multiple windows of the same browser open you know

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Real hurthling! posted:

You can have multiple windows of the same browser open you know

Yeah but they show up in the same tab on the taskbar. That adds a whole extra step to click between them!

homeless snail posted:

if you use multiple profiles in chrome they show up separately on the taskbar

That'll work then!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

chumbler posted:

Xenosaga 1 with a single battle theme except for literally the final boss. In fairness they were both pretty good, though.

Xenosaga Ep. 1's entire soundtrack is baffling. What's there sounds good but it feels like they only had the orchestra to record for one afternoon or something.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Internet Kraken posted:

Microtransactions make more money than regular business models now because they prey on people that will plunk thousands of dollars into the game without a second thought. It doesn't matter if your game is free when some players are spending more money than you would get from dozens of traditional sales. Also I dunno how those games handle their microtransactions but a lot of them use predatory business tactics that are akin to gambling but without any form of regulation.

This is part of why I'm puzzled about PoE and Warframe: neither one is egregious about the microtransactions, unlike, say, gacha games where you're literally gambling. In both PoE and Warframe you pay for either early unlocks or cosmetic stuff or slots, and none of them are like, essential?

It feels very generous, is what I'm getting at: I haven't dropped a dime on Warframe at all and it's difficult to tell the difference between it and a game I'd drop 60$ on? There's even a huge open-world area where you go do bounties in a hand-crafted area.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is part of why I'm puzzled about PoE and Warframe: neither one is egregious about the microtransactions, unlike, say, gacha games where you're literally gambling. In both PoE and Warframe you pay for either early unlocks or cosmetic stuff or slots, and none of them are like, essential?

It feels very generous, is what I'm getting at: I haven't dropped a dime on Warframe at all and it's difficult to tell the difference between it and a game I'd drop 60$ on? There's even a huge open-world area where you go do bounties in a hand-crafted area.

Unchecked capitalism doesn't care about things that are only highly profitable when there's an alternative that's super omega gangsta profitable. The scale of profitability for a game like PoE is not even in the same galaxy as what EA rakes in from FIFA cards and never will be.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

exquisite tea posted:

Unchecked capitalism doesn't care about things that are only highly profitable when there's an alternative that's super omega gangsta profitable. The scale of profitability for a game like PoE is not even in the same galaxy as what EA rakes in from FIFA cards and never will be.

Well, yes? This is part of why I'm marveling at these two games - they exist, in the state they're in, and it's a bit nuts. I like it a lot!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

For a second I thought, when did they add microtransactions to Pillars of Eternity

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You must match the donation level of a kickstarter backer to permanently remove their awful fanfic stories from the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

StrixNebulosa posted:

They're probably microtransactions done the "right" way, though I bet they still have some kind of gambling loot box element which is where the real money in these games come from. Getting people to compulsively spend cash in pursuit of something they have little to no control over receiving is a huge cash cow.

I mean Fortnite is the biggest game in the world right now, probably because it is F2P versus PUBG being a paid entry. Fortnite still makes cash hand over fist from cosmetics. As dumb as it might sound, things that are purely cosmetic due hold value in these games and people will feel obligated to pursue them.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I saw an article on polygon or something that praised fortnite for perfecting the microtransaction, and I'm thinking like lol remember monthly subscriptions really pissing people off? and now people are really happy to pay epic $10/mo

glad though, I'm much happier to pay a sub for a good game than get nickle and dimed on a crappy f2p game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Detroit looks to be super-popular still and is still backordered on Gamefly. After watching Combo Breaker this weekend, I think I'm gonna rent Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late[St] instead for after I finish God of War

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e0OSMyUEjs

Yesterday's Opponents are Today's Ingredients :black101:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

glam rock hamhock posted:

I mean, only a loving idiot would consider putting a black guy or a woman on the cover controversial

I'll bet EA considers it controversial and had several meeting to decide it it was worth the risk.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Saint Freak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e0OSMyUEjs

Yesterday's Opponents are Today's Ingredients :black101:

Man that music is such a loving contrast between the video picture.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
playing maverick hunter x for the first time and of all the very basic improvements to make to mega man x they... made the dash slightly more confusing to get???

well. ok

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They remixed all the upgrade locations, or at least the armor bits, which is interesting ig until you remember it's X1, one of the upgrades is just the dash, and it's made unavoidable for a reason.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Maverick Hunter X isn't a great remake but it's fine and I think it gets undue poo poo. It's still MMX and the Vile mode is cool.

Still, it pales in comparison to Mega Man Powered Up, which was basically completely fantastic. It's tragic both those games flopped (mainly by being PSP exclusives) because there were plans to continue with both series.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

The Colonel posted:

playing maverick hunter x for the first time and of all the very basic improvements to make to mega man x they... made the dash slightly more confusing to get???

well. ok

I still don't know why they decided to move the armor locations around.

Still least you have Domon Kasshu as X.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm trying to force myself to take a video game break but gently caress...anyone recommend something on Switch? I'm thinking of Stardew Valley or any other easy action RPG game with a decent enough story to keep me playing. Any recommendations?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Housh posted:

I'm trying to force myself to take a video game break but gently caress...anyone recommend something on Switch? I'm thinking of Stardew Valley or any other easy action RPG game with a decent enough story to keep me playing. Any recommendations?

I recommend not buying a game and taking a break.

Definitely don't buy Stardew Valley because that game seems to be a blackhole that sucks up most people's freetime when they play it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah I guess that's what I needed to hear. It's summer and I should be outside. Watching E3 pressers should be enough of a fix this month. I have Kiwami 2 coming end of August and then it's holiday season.

I'll gently caress off.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

glam rock hamhock posted:

Maverick Hunter X isn't a great remake but it's fine and I think it gets undue poo poo. It's still MMX and the Vile mode is cool.

Still, it pales in comparison to Mega Man Powered Up, which was basically completely fantastic. It's tragic both those games flopped (mainly by being PSP exclusives) because there were plans to continue with both series.

i mean the fact that it's just mmx is kind of the problem. it's not a lot worse but it's also just a lot more forgettable and mmx does have some issues that they could've fixed but just, didn't, for some reason

but it does have flat cars

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I mean I don't know why you feel like you need to take a break from games, I'm just saying if you think you should then buying a new one is probably the worst thing you could do since you'll be tempted to binge play it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Internet Kraken posted:

They're probably microtransactions done the "right" way, though I bet they still have some kind of gambling loot box element which is where the real money in these games come from. Getting people to compulsively spend cash in pursuit of something they have little to no control over receiving is a huge cash cow.

I mean Fortnite is the biggest game in the world right now, probably because it is F2P versus PUBG being a paid entry. Fortnite still makes cash hand over fist from cosmetics. As dumb as it might sound, things that are purely cosmetic due hold value in these games and people will feel obligated to pursue them.

Warframe has no actual lootbox mechanic. The premium currency is Platinum which is used for: "can be used to purchase Warframes, weapons, Equipment, sentinels, Mod packs, and other various items from the in-game Market. It can also be used to instantly finish crafting wanted items in the Foundry." Straight from the Wiki. There is an item, a Relic, that is like a lootbox but you don't purchase it with Platinum. You can earn any item that has an effect on gameplay, through grinding. Grind. Grind. Grind. Grind.

So what's the appeal, you ask? I don't know. For some it just clicks and you really get into the movement system and "number go up." There's a reason why the Warframe thread title was "Why do I have a 1000 hours in this terrible game?"

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

The Colonel posted:

immx does have some issues

Alright, I"m kinda interested in what issues there were with MMX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You should have gotten the dash immediately after finishing the opening stage.

• Locked thread