Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just watched the documentary Hitler's Hollywood, about the Nazi movie industry. It got a lot into the sort of ideology and values expressed by official Nazi cinema and how they changed from 1933 to 1945, but the most interesting thing was just seeing clips from all of those various Nazi movies. Other than Triumph of the Will and the 1943 Baron Munchausen, I don't think I'd ever seen anything from the Nazi era before.

Plus it's narrated by Udo Kier, who has the perfect voice for a documentary on Nazi movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Interesting 4 part thing on Netflix now called "Evil Genius." Don't know how long it's been on there, but I recently stumbled across it. It follows the developments on a bank robbery case over a period of several years. One day a man with a bomb strapped to his chest, and carrying a homemade cane shotgun, walked into a bank and tried to rob it. He was eventually surrounded by police. He said that he was a pizza delivery man, and that he had been abducted by some black men who had strapped the bomb on his neck. He had been set off on an intricate scavenger hunt to find keys to take the device off. He didn't make the deadline, and the bomb went off, killing him immediately. From there, you go down the rabbit hole.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
the family bemoaning the coroner's office for severing the deceased's head, thus preventing them from having an open casket funeral is.. odd. Dude just had an IED go off while hanging around his neck and detonate on his chest. If you thought you were having an open casket, I feel like you are sorely mistaken.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

I just watched the documentary Hitler's Hollywood, about the Nazi movie industry. It got a lot into the sort of ideology and values expressed by official Nazi cinema and how they changed from 1933 to 1945, but the most interesting thing was just seeing clips from all of those various Nazi movies. Other than Triumph of the Will and the 1943 Baron Munchausen, I don't think I'd ever seen anything from the Nazi era before.

Plus it's narrated by Udo Kier, who has the perfect voice for a documentary on Nazi movies.

I've watched one of the German movies from that era, Der Kaiser von Kalifornien (the King of California). The best way I can describe it is what if the Nazis had won the Civil War? The main character is basically Hitler, rolling his Rs, and when he makes his entry into San Francisco at the end, it's like watching a Nuremberg rally, except cowboys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxmD4UeHBe4&t=4847s

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Interesting 4 part thing on Netflix now called "Evil Genius." Don't know how long it's been on there, but I recently stumbled across it.

I hope it's better than the comedy made about that story, "30 Minutes or Less."

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Evil Genius is a good watch but way too long

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Garth_Marenghi posted:

I hope it's better than the comedy made about that story, "30 Minutes or Less."

Didn't the makers of that movie try and claim that it was their totally original idea and that they had never heard about the real life case at all?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Are any of watching Dirty Money on netflix? Seems good so far and I liked Smartest Guys in the Room...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dirty money is amazing (apart from the quebec maple syrup one) - especially the trump episode.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Groovelord Neato posted:

dirty money is amazing (apart from the quebec maple syrup one) - especially the trump episode.

How dare you, the great Maple syrup caper is an important part of our history!

(Nah, you're right)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was expecting some big reveal but there was just...nothing.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Currently enjoying Captive on Netflix. Very interesting real life stories of people being held... eh, captive.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Agreed, its really good and also will probably make you very angry!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Just saw a theatrical screening of Ramen Heads and it was just really a good time. I coulda done with a bit more of a look in the cultural pervasiveness of Ramen outside of Japan...but that was beyond the scope of the project, so I don't hold my wishlist against it.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I watched 32 Pills: My Sister's Suicide on HBO and it's... quite the trip.

In retrospect a friend telling her "you should throw all of these away immediately " should have been a clue how things would go.

Obvious content warnings apply, but it's also :nws: for nude photographs.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

I liked the maple syrup episode because of how bizarre the syrup business in Canada is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
New season of The Toys That Made Us is up. This season they go into a lot better detail (and the episodes are longer). The one on Hello Kitty is pretty interesting, and the one on Transformers is great.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alhazred posted:

I liked the maple syrup episode because of how bizarre the syrup business in Canada is.

it is kinda interesting but the other episodes are - car company brings us closer to the apocalypse to become market leader and succeeds and gets away with it, payday lender and his wife and lawyer whine about how unfair it is that they're getting prosecuted for bilking hundreds of million of dollars out of poor people, drug company dooms people to death or bankruptcy (or both) to increase shareholder value, the government decides not to pursue a slam dunk case against a giant bank that's been washing money for ultraviolent drug cartels, and the most powerful country on earth elects a transparent huckster and failure to the highest office in the land.

it's like having a horror anthology full of extremely grotesque and depressing stories and one of em is about a guy who stubbed his toe real bad.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 29, 2018

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

precision posted:

New season of The Toys That Made Us is up. This season they go into a lot better detail (and the episodes are longer). The one on Hello Kitty is pretty interesting, and the one on Transformers is great.

This program is what the [skip intro] button was made for. I hope these episode are better than the first season, I want more interesting facts and anecdotes and less of the head up it's own rear end set pieces.

Garth_Marenghi fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 29, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wait, is that a standard Netflix feature now? That's pretty funny.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

precision posted:

Was coming here to suggest this, I kinda liked the first season although I wished the episodes were longer. It was neat hearing the guys talk about how they came up with names and ideas and I'm a sucker for some of the concept art :)

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
The Transformers episode is cool, as is the Lego one. Especially nice to see how Bionicle saved Lego, I had no idea it was that popular, because I always saw them as "Not-Lego".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

The Transformers episode is cool, as is the Lego one. Especially nice to see how Bionicle saved Lego, I had no idea it was that popular, because I always saw them as "Not-Lego".

Lego is such a weird company. I keep waiting to hear about some bizarre corporate rituals they have or something involving sacrifices to Moloch because by all accounts they are one of the most chill and awesome places to work on the entire planet.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
There is a 3 part documentary about the Paris attacks on Netflix. It is really good.

It's called: 13 Novembre: Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I know lots of folks think he's a blowhard (they're not really wrong, either), but I wish someone would make a Jello Biafra documentary. He's definitely led an interesting life.

Heck if you wanted to just do a doc on the PRMC situation and how it ruined the Dead Kennedys (and influenced music buyers for a decade), that could be hella engrossing.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 6, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I know lots of folks think he's a blowhard (they're not really wrong, either), but I wish someone would make a Jello Biafra documentary. He's definitely led an interesting life.

Heck if you wanted to just do a doc on the PRMC situation and how it ruined the Dead Kennedys (and influenced music buyers for a decade).

There's a doc on that but I can't seem to Google it up right now. If I can remember it I'll post it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

precision posted:

There's a doc on that but I can't seem to Google it up right now. If I can remember it I'll post it.

My man! Thanks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

El Gallinero Gros posted:

My man! Thanks.

In the meantime, I recall the fictionalized movie about it being pretty good:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warning:_Parental_Advisory

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Volkerball posted:

Interesting 4 part thing on Netflix now called "Evil Genius." Don't know how long it's been on there, but I recently stumbled across it. It follows the developments on a bank robbery case over a period of several years. One day a man with a bomb strapped to his chest, and carrying a homemade cane shotgun, walked into a bank and tried to rob it. He was eventually surrounded by police. He said that he was a pizza delivery man, and that he had been abducted by some black men who had strapped the bomb on his neck. He had been set off on an intricate scavenger hunt to find keys to take the device off. He didn't make the deadline, and the bomb went off, killing him immediately. From there, you go down the rabbit hole.

Well the bomb was a little too sturdily constructed,it didn't shrapnel the way it was supposed to. If it had gone off as intending he likely would have just been a pair of red pants in the middle of the road. Since it failed to shrapnel however it really just blasted a giant hole in his chest and shoulder, but his head and neck were fine(relatively speaking). He lived for a few minutes afterwords and was able to sort of communicate, so it's not unreasonable to expect that they could have had an open funeral.

I understand why they had to to decapitate him, but I did wonder why they couldn't put the head back on for the funeral. Just bury him in a turtleneck to hide the neck scars.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Anyone see the Mr. Roger's doc that is playing at select theaters right now? Its getting pretty good buzz.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The Staircase has been added to Netflix. It’s a true crime doc series from before true crime doc series were a thing. I wanna say it’s maybe 10 years old. It’s really good and they’ve actually produced 3 new episodes of it. I haven’t seen it in a few years so I’m kind of interested in watching the whole thing again with the new episodes.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wait, is that a standard Netflix feature now? That's pretty funny.

Combine that button with a browser plugin that automatically clicks it, and you're done with intros forever.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mahoning posted:

The Staircase has been added to Netflix. It’s a true crime doc series from before true crime doc series were a thing. I wanna say it’s maybe 10 years old. It’s really good and they’ve actually produced 3 new episodes of it. I haven’t seen it in a few years so I’m kind of interested in watching the whole thing again with the new episodes.

Blowpoke:byodood:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Win by Fall is on Amazon Prime. It was one of my favorite films at sxsw last year. It's about a wrestling school for girls in Germany and it has some absolutely riveting fly-on-the-wall work. If you like great sports narrative, it's a fine example.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mahoning posted:

The new episodes are largely more entertaining than the originals, I thought. Maybe because they're a lot more focused and there's only 3 of them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

magiccarpet posted:

Evil Genius is a good watch but way too long

yeah after the first couple episodes it's so blah. plus i loathe true crime where the author/director inserts themselves.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the first 2 episodes are really good though, just know you can stop before the end if you want

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

precision posted:

the first 2 episodes are really good though, just know you can stop before the end if you want

This is the way to watch the Bobby Kennedy series

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

Anyone see the Mr. Roger's doc that is playing at select theaters right now? Its getting pretty good buzz.

Saw it tonight, was already tearing up about 5 minutes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hope that Rogers doc comes to Netflix