Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

Alternatively, you could get a Mikrotik RB3011.

Running one of these on a 200/200 connection. Thing rarely gets over 5% usage with a bunch of firewall rules. I love the little touchscreen/status display on the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Spectrum (TWC) came to try to fix my line for the 4th time yesterday. They couldn't find which tap was mine in the box downstairs. Like, they tried every possible one with the mechanism hooked up in my living room and there were 0 matches. They say this is due to a splitter behind the wall. They said they're coming back for the fifth day in a row but what can they do besides tear down this wall?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Spectrum (Charter) always wants to not spend a bunch of time troubleshooting and just run new lines along the path of least resistance (on outside wall), so they may try to just do that.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Thermopyle posted:

Spectrum (Charter) always wants to not spend a bunch of time troubleshooting and just run new lines along the path of least resistance (on outside wall), so they may try to just do that.

I sure as poo poo hope so. I've not been able to really stream any sports games or play any video games for upwards of a week now and sure that sounds entitled but paying $80/month for this poo poo to work at less than 50% - they should really be able to do something after 4 consecutive days of visits.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Its funny, I was kind of surprised by your response.

See, I deal with them all the time because I take care of a couple hundred rental properties and Charter is always wanting to do things to fix problems tenants are having. And we dont let them attache stuff to the outside of buildings or houses because they always do a poo poo job that looks like poo poo and its poo poo hell trying to get them to come back and fix their poo poo.

But, of course, from your perspective it shouldn't be a big deal.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Thermopyle posted:

Its funny, I was kind of surprised by your response.

See, I deal with them all the time because I take care of a couple hundred rental properties and Charter is always wanting to do things to fix problems tenants are having. And we dont let them attache stuff to the outside of buildings or houses because they always do a poo poo job that looks like poo poo and its poo poo hell trying to get them to come back and fix their poo poo.

But, of course, from your perspective it shouldn't be a big deal.

So the tech from yesterday replied already. She's absolutely awesome and thorough and if all of their techs were half as interested in helping a rando rear end in a top hat like me they'd be in great shape. Anyway, she talked to her supervisor and they looked at all my readings and still feel as if something in the wall is blocking my single from reaching strength. Her supervisor is going to call me back today to discuss our options but it doesn't sound like there will be any fix anytime soon, which sucks because I'm around all weekend with nothing to do :razz:

At least I've finally got someone who gives a poo poo working on my case now.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

FSMC posted:

What are the recommendations for routers for VPN speed? I was looking to get the Edgerouter pro but after some googling I'm seeing post about VPN speeds of ~50Mb/s for openvpn. Some Asus routers seems to be getting 250Mb/s. So what is the cheapest router I can get that will give over 100Mb/s over OpenVPN?

OpenVPN typically doesn't take advantage of any hardware accelerated encryption, so you're better off throwing as much generic CPU at it as you can afford. IE pfSense like Twerk from Home suggested. If you have a real use-case for VPN speeds faster than that, you should be looking into hardware accelerated IPSEC VPN from major vendors like Juniper, Cisco etc.

Devian666 posted:

This sounds worth investigating.

Let me put it this way - the last time Cisco published a performance tear sheet was 2008: https://goo.gl/GwJBs8

Devian666 posted:

e: Oh yeah the most disorganised and poorly planned point to point wireless setup I've ever seen. I should put a Linus Tech Tips warning as well because it's kind of infuriating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYJFwXw1ZIc
I hate you. Why did I click this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One of the worst things about Ubiquiti is the community that found it from charlatans like Linus. The old WISP guys are generally pretty cool.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Thanks Ants posted:

One of the worst things about Ubiquiti is the community that found it from charlatans like Linus. The old WISP guys are generally pretty cool.

I cannot disagree with this post.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

One of the worst things about Ubiquiti is the community that found it from charlatans like Linus.

I'm having a hard time parsing this sentence.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Thermopyle posted:

I was worried I was having a stroke for a moment trying to understand it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For "found it" read "discovered the products".

Pottsdam
Sep 11, 2000

MY MEAT!
MY MEAAAATTTTT!
Wi-fi on my PS4 sucks and I want to connect it with powerline. I'm in a 10 year old house and the distance is not far so I'm wondering if I should just get something cheap (like this $23 refurb D-Link AV500 I found) or should I spring for an AV1000 or 1200? Good pings are a consideration, more than speeds (iirc I can't get my PS4 to max out my 150mbps connection on wired). I'm buying from a place with a good return policy either way.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Pottsdam posted:

Wi-fi on my PS4 sucks and I want to connect it with powerline. I'm in a 10 year old house and the distance is not far so I'm wondering if I should just get something cheap (like this $23 refurb D-Link AV500 I found) or should I spring for an AV1000 or 1200? Good pings are a consideration, more than speeds (iirc I can't get my PS4 to max out my 150mbps connection on wired). I'm buying from a place with a good return policy either way.

Look for a newer device than the Dlink AV500. You want one that has the third prong so you can take advantage of MIMO. Wirecutter had a good article about powerline devices: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-powerline-networking-kit/

I have 4 of the TPlink devices that they recommend and it works great for my house.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

"People who discovered Ubiquiti, by watching Linus, are the worst part of Ubiquiti's community."

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I discovered Ubiquity from this thread. I bought an AP, it works just fine, but in no way I would recommend or be willing to buy the rest of the products for my home network. A good AP is hard to come by. A good router or switch ... they're dime a dozen. To pay hundreds of $ for that ... I need more many money than brain cells (Bezos apparently has that).

edit: money, money

Volguus fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 26, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Volguus posted:

I discovered Ubiquity from this thread. I bought an AP, it works just fine, but in no way I would recommend or be willing to buy the rest of the products for my home network. A good AP is hard to come by. A good router or switch ... they're dime a dozen. To pay hundreds of $ for that ... I need more many than brain cells (Bezos apparently has that).

The most commonly recommended Ubiquity routers (and is in the OP) are less than 100 dollars.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So why are Ubiquiti as recommended versus MikroTik? Ease of setup with the Cloud Key?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

The most commonly recommended Ubiquity routers (and is in the OP) are less than 100 dollars.

That's $90 more than a router is worth.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Volguus posted:

What $10 router are you using on your gigabit fiber internet connection?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Volguus posted:

Well, no. But regardless I was responding to you saying it was "hundreds of $".

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

What $10 router are you using on your gigabit fiber internet connection?

I am using a PC with OpenBSD on it. The PC was more than $10 in its time, today ... probably not even that. Yes, it can handle my measly 250Mbps connection just fine. OpenBSD is free. And more capable than any "router" (including pfsense) could be.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie

CrazyLittle posted:

OpenVPN typically doesn't take advantage of any hardware accelerated encryption, so you're better off throwing as much generic CPU at it as you can afford. IE pfSense like Twerk from Home suggested. If you have a real use-case for VPN speeds faster than that, you should be looking into hardware accelerated IPSEC VPN from major vendors like Juniper, Cisco etc.

I found a old pfsense install on my esxi server when I gave it a try but stopped before my head exploded. I assume the virtual machine environment won't seriously affect the performance. I think the issue I had last time was trying to figure out how to set it all up now.

So would the following work:
For all devices not on the server
Internet ------(nic1)-> esxi box ->pfSense VM -(nic2)------>Switch ->Lan Network
For the VMs on the esxi box, would I be able to route Internet from nic1 to a VM, and also the routed pfSense on nic2 to a VM?

Are there any good tips or guides on how to set all this up on VMware esxi servers.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

FSMC posted:

I found a old pfsense install on my esxi server when I gave it a try but stopped before my head exploded. I assume the virtual machine environment won't seriously affect the performance. I think the issue I had last time was trying to figure out how to set it all up now.

So would the following work:
For all devices not on the server
Internet ------(nic1)-> esxi box ->pfSense VM -(nic2)------>Switch ->Lan Network
For the VMs on the esxi box, would I be able to route Internet from nic1 to a VM, and also the routed pfSense on nic2 to a VM?

Are there any good tips or guides on how to set all this up on VMware esxi servers.

What you want to do is setup 2 vswitches in esxi. One you might want to name WAN will have a physical nic attached to it and one virtual port for your pfsense vm. The second vswitch might be called lan, it has the other physical nic and the lan side virtual port for pfsense.

https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/PfSense_on_VMware_vSphere_/_ESXi

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Just moved and decided to up my router game; got an Edgerouter 4. I guess I’ll switch my AEBS/Time Capaule over to being an AP only for now. If I move to a bigger place or Apple finally stops pushing FW updates for it, I’ll hop over to Ubiquiti land.

I can set up a simple VPN on the ER4 to allow me to VPN into my network from anywhere, right? Have some software I want to use on my laptop but the license server lives on my LAN. So speed isn’t super important, especially if I can get a split tunnel working.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

movax posted:

I can set up a simple VPN on the ER4 to allow me to VPN into my network from anywhere, right? Have some software I want to use on my laptop but the license server lives on my LAN. So speed isn’t super important, especially if I can get a split tunnel working.

Yep

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204950294-EdgeRouter-L2TP-IPsec-VPN-Server

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Moderately pleased with myself.

That was 20/5 with the old gear.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Finally got my Archer C7.

Huge improvement over the Linksys E2500. Totally worth it.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
VPNFilter Question

I have an older (100Mb) Netgear router that is listed as impacted by VPNFilter. This is what I had going on:

• Disabled remote management
  • Disabled uPNP
  • Changed default password (strong password)
  • Kept updated to most recent firmware
  • Respond to ping disabled (default)
  • DNS set to OpenDNS

I just went and took the router offline (disconnected from the modem), did a factory reset, changed password, reloaded the most recent firmware from Netgear's site (it was the same as the existing firmware - I am assuming it just overwrote it, didn't do this via the net, did this from a downloaded file on the local network, verified remote management was disabled, and reset everything else on the router, and reconnected the modem. Had to reboot both the modem and router to get everything to work.

Should I pretty much carry on, or should I dump this older router and get a newer Netgear router? (I am guessing that some of the newer ones might be impacted as well.)

(Also I'm really not into the Tomato or other firmware stuff - I also heard that this stuff might be compromised as well.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 27, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Three-Phase posted:

VPNFilter Question

I have an older (100Mb) Netgear router that is listed as impacted by VPNFilter. This is what I had going on:

• Disabled remote management
  • Disabled uPNP
  • Changed default password (strong password)
  • Kept updated to most recent firmware
  • Respond to ping disabled (default)
  • DNS set to OpenDNS

I just went and took the router offline (disconnected from the modem), did a factory reset, changed password, reloaded the most recent firmware from Netgear's site (it was the same as the existing firmware - I am assuming it just overwrote it, didn't do this via the net, did this from a downloaded file on the local network, verified remote management was disabled, and reset everything else on the router, and reconnected the modem. Had to reboot both the modem and router to get everything to work.

Should I pretty much carry on, or should I dump this older router and get a newer Netgear router? (I am guessing that some of the newer ones might be impacted as well.)

(Also I'm really not into the Tomato or other firmware stuff - I also heard that this stuff might be compromised as well.)

The articles about VPNFilter suggest that resetting it clears any infection and if it's got the latest updates it's probably not vulnerable any more (they're not totally clear on that but suggest disabling remote management). If you want a new router just to be sure, I wouldn't buy netgear at this point, though. They haven't made great stuff recently (last 10 years or so).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm getting the Archer C9 because it's only like $80 on Amazon now.

Am I correct in assuming the beamform technology they're touting is basically useless through a wall?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

jokes posted:

I'm getting the Archer C9 because it's only like $80 on Amazon now.

Am I correct in assuming the beamform technology they're touting is basically useless through a wall?

It's just the router making its signal more directional with space age router magic. It can potentially be useful if you use a device that's not moving around much. It might even help with walls.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Are the Netgear GS105 and GS108 still unbeaten in terms of a wire-speed unmanaged gigabit switch?

Exploring my new apartment (WaveG installer doesn’t show up until Friday :negative:), I found some pre-installed CenturyLink CPE that I probably need to ask about (it’s all pre-installed so you can activate it without asking a tech, I assume) removing. However, I also found a nice little patch panel which got me thinking about simply installing my ER-4 in there along with a GS105 to service all the jacks in my apartment, and then adding other switches as needed (like a GS108 near my TV/computer desk to feed those guys).

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Just set up my first access point and it wasn't too hard at all. Speeds are almost as fast as my wired connection.
Thanks for the thread and help!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

movax posted:

Are the Netgear GS105 and GS108 still unbeaten in terms of a wire-speed unmanaged gigabit switch?

Exploring my new apartment (WaveG installer doesn’t show up until Friday :negative:), I found some pre-installed CenturyLink CPE that I probably need to ask about (it’s all pre-installed so you can activate it without asking a tech, I assume) removing. However, I also found a nice little patch panel which got me thinking about simply installing my ER-4 in there along with a GS105 to service all the jacks in my apartment, and then adding other switches as needed (like a GS108 near my TV/computer desk to feed those guys).

I'm still using a GS105 in the office. I say use it. Until 1 Gbps seems like a terrible bottleneck in the home this advice probably isn't going to change.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Devian666 posted:

I'm still using a GS105 in the office. I say use it. Until 1 Gbps seems like a terrible bottleneck in the home this advice probably isn't going to change.

That’s what I figured; stops me from spending money too.

I guess what I have in my closet is a “structured media enclosure”. Is there a general purpose bracket + zip-tie combination I can use to neatly mount my ER-4 and GS105?

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I have an old Alfa 121u I put attitude adjustment on it. Now for some weird reason I can't connect to the WiFi network. I know that the WiFi radio is enabled because I can see the said.

I have tried to connect with a windows 8 of, Android phone and a Linux Mint laptop.
As of now there is no password as I'm just trying to connect.

When I try to connect, the device always times out even when I'm about 1 foot away so signal isn't an issue.

Anyone have any ideas on what's going on?

Edit:

The Alfa isn't even connected to my modem. The end goal is to put Nord vpn on there so I separate AP with a VPN

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 1, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If it's not connected to your router at all, then perhaps they're timing out waiting for a DHCP that will never come?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

movax posted:

I guess what I have in my closet is a “structured media enclosure”. Is there a general purpose bracket + zip-tie combination I can use to neatly mount my ER-4 and GS105?

The most I found was a rackmount plate that you could slot an edgerouter or switch into. Might be best to fabricate something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

movax posted:

Most people just screw a piece of plywood into the studs and mount those kinds of devices onto the wood, kinda like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!