Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
It's too bad that Reincarnate only includes the PHB races because the idea of Nott reincarnating into another goblin or something even worse is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

CuwiKhons posted:

Reincarnation would be the faster ... The only issue is that only druids can use it

Waitaminute. How long after campaign 1 is campaign 2? Supplementary question, how long is Keyleth supposed to live for?

I'm not saying that they should or would quest to request Keyleth's aid for the sake of Druid spell, but it's neat to try and imagine how they'd go about that particular interaction.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Campaign 2 is only twenty years or so after Campaign 1. Nobody should be dead from C1 (aside from the obvious one). And Keyleth has somewhere between a 1000-1500 year lifespan. She's a half elf expected to live 100-150 years normally and druids only age 1 year for every 10 years starting at level 18.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

CuwiKhons posted:

Campaign 2 is only twenty years or so after Campaign 1. Nobody should be dead from C1 (aside from the obvious one). And Keyleth has somewhere between a 1000-1500 year lifespan. She's a half elf expected to live 100-150 years normally and druids only age 1 year for every 10 years starting at level 18.

Ten bucks says Grog didn't make it another 5 years.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Sion posted:

Ten bucks says Grog didn't make it another 5 years.

Depends on whether or not he got the Deck back I imagine

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

There's no way Vex let him have that back. Also don't forget he's living with Pike and Scanlan. Pike won't let Grog die.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

A tiny bit of me hoped that Matt was going to let that catastrophe in the s1 epilogue just go unresolved and maybe one day in a later campaign if they wander into the Astral Plane they find him out there.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

That would have been amazing but I can understand why Matt decided it was unrealistic for a team that had just defeated a god to throw up their hands and just let Grog disappear without hunting his dumb rear end down.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
gonna run a one-shot of a group of thieves breaking into the most secret vault in Whitestone to retrieve a pack of cards

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't think Nott's motivations are that murky. She's a goblin in a D&D game. People hate goblins, and even other goblins hate her in particular, and the racial dimorphism (?) that exists in D&D means that'll follow her everywhere she goes for the rest of her life. Fjord was teased for his tusks so he removed them. Nott is vilified for her status as a goblin, even by other goblins, so she doesn't want to be one. I don't think she especially wants to be a Halfing so much as she'd rather be literally anything else; a Halfing is just something of comparable stature.

She does remind me of Persona 4's Naoto Shirogane, but Naoto isn't trans either (as much as Western fans unfamiliar with Japanese sexual politics like to paint her in that corner). Naoto is a girl who wants to be a police detective, but women on the police force in Japan aren't taken very seriously. She acts like a boy because she believes that's a necessary sacrifice to get what she wants, and being recognized as a detective is more important to her than being recognized as a woman. If being a woman wasn't such a disadvantage in the field she'd chosen to pursue, she'd have no reason to change anything about herself. The catch is she's been playing the part so long she no longer feels comfortable engaging in traditional femininity, so even after the jig is up she retains her masculine persona.

That's a solid comparison, and it's part of why I think you can make the trans comparison but only on the surface level of "I don't feel comfortable in my body as it is right now." To me it reads as an intense dislike of the culture she grew up in, and the cultural heritage is always with her since most goblins are evil baby-eaters and lots of people will respond to her with hatred or distrust just based on how she looks. Fittingly since she's so close with Caleb, the rough (not perfect) real-life equivalent would be if you were German in WW 2, knew all the horrible things the Nazis were doing and wanted nothing more than to get the hell out of the country, but were forced to serve in the military, wear the uniform, eat with the soldiers, etc. And then when you did desert and run away you could never take off the uniform and everyone would know you were with the Nazis, and all you can do is say that you didn't believe in their cause and wanted out and trust them to believe you. And poor Nott has to tell people that with 5 charisma.

Going back to Nott vs. Naoto, I can see things working in kind of an opposite way where if she does manage to change into another race she still likes eating rats and does things that might gross out the other party members, where it's not that she was playing a role and has trouble getting out of it but instead that she's used to being a goblin and might have trouble adapting to the life and social mores of another race.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Dameius posted:

I'd say in campaign one the best of Pike came from her improv moments with Travis. Teaching Grog letters was a drat genius moment. It does seem like her personality/preference is to boost for her friends to a fault rather than take a spotlight when it comes, and that gets magnified by filming in NYC constantly and missing episodes. Yasha almost feels like a muted straight man in a party of punchlines, so you know, way different energy. Not worse I'd say, just different.

'Flash cards' with Taryon was also great. Maybe it's a coincidence that it was another teaching scene.

Ashley seems to be content with a more supporting role position in the group, which is fine and arguably a good thing when you have several players who are clearly eager to be in the spotlight. I trust that it isn't that she (and Matt) literally know nothing about her character, but that something else is going on, probably that Yasha really doesn't want to discuss anything to do with Xhorhas and the character isn't smooth enough to be evasive about it in anything but the most awkward fashion possible.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Ashley's talked before on Talks Machina about how roleplaying doesn't come as easy to her as it does the others and she really has to work at it.

As someone who has absolutely had players like that (and used to be a player like that) the fact that she has as many good bits as she does is impressive.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

This week's show is live!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I just realised Sam's shirt says 'Missing' because he wasn't in Ep 20 of campaign 1.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Keru posted:

I just realised Sam's shirt says 'Missing' because he wasn't in Ep 20 of campaign 1.

The first episode he missed, he wore the green screen. Then I think he started skipping missed episodes in the shirt order, and if he no longer had the shirt he'd wear something appropriate-- an ERROR 404 one week. I'm guessing he no longer has whatever shirt he wore next on the show, hence the Missing.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Teddybear posted:

The first episode he missed, he wore the green screen. Then I think he started skipping missed episodes in the shirt order, and if he no longer had the shirt he'd wear something appropriate-- an ERROR 404 one week. I'm guessing he no longer has whatever shirt he wore next on the show, hence the Missing.

Nah, I checked. Ep 20 was the first Trial of the Take where they split up the group into two teams for each guest-pair.

Edit: oh I guess it's time for Yasha story time.

Keru fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 25, 2018

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Nah, he's just skipping the weeks that he wasn't there. Last week's shirt was actually from episode 24 of the first campaign. So I agree, he must have lost the shirt that he wore in episode 25 last time around.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Silynt posted:

Nah, he's just skipping the weeks that he wasn't there. Last week's shirt was actually from episode 24 of the first campaign. So I agree, he must have lost the shirt that he wore in episode 25 last time around.

Oh right, I forgot he was skipping them if he wasn't there.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

They should really get some new dice boxes if they keep getting cocked dice.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Matt Mercer putting in a kenku just to show off

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

I'm enjoying this episode too much.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Really hoping that the latest addition to the Nein stays around for a long time, it's already a better spirit animal than Trinket ever was and seems like there's still plenty of depth to explore there.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I'll be honest

The biggest thing i cared about this episode is that SPELLSLINGERS IS BACK

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

They should really get some new dice boxes if they keep getting cocked dice.

I use those dice trays and have never once had a cocked roll so I always assume they’re bullshitting.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I doubt it. They usually have people leaning over their shoulders and often two or more people will say "cocked" at the same time. Post-Orion, I don't think any of them are interested in cheating.

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
Not that I think they’re cheating, I just genuinely don’t understand how they have so many cocked dice. It does seem like a lot of them roll by dropping, which I guess might make it more likely.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

It also seems to happen more often to people who have more dice like Laura or Marisha or Liam. Travis almost never rolls cocked dice and he's proud of the fact that he only has one set. I'm guessing part of the problem may be the dice they're rolling hitting other dice in the tray?

I don't know, I only play D&D online and while I have a few dice, I don't have a tray. I don't know what those doofuses are doing.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Lid posted:

I'll be honest

The biggest thing i cared about this episode is that SPELLSLINGERS IS BACK

I'm always happy for more Day9 in whatever form.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Apprentice Dick posted:

I'm always happy for more Day9 in whatever form.

Sure

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Finished watching the latest episode and I'm enjoying this baby Kenku so much. I'm sure it'd get annoying in the long term but they're probably not going to keep Kiri indefinitely so it's very very cute right now. Before the art for the new characters came out, I had considered that a professional voice actor playing a Kenku would be amazing but also incredibly difficult and might get frustrating for everyone after awhile. An NPC or a guest is definitely the better way to do it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

They gave a child a knife.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Moving up from Nott knifing a child

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Lid posted:

Moving up from Nott knifing a child

Or Beau crushing a child’s windpipe.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I really feel like most people overestimate just how young Kiri is for a Kenku. She's probably not far from being a teenager.

They gave a teenager a knife, gently caress.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Arthil posted:

I really feel like most people overestimate just how young Kiri is for a Kenku. She's probably not far from being a teenager.

They gave a teenager a knife, gently caress.

everyone's reaction to her swinging it around was the best

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Technically Kenku in 5e have a lifespan of about 60 years and are considered adults at 12. I'd say a 4 year old is closer to a pre-teen than an actual teenager. Kenku are a little longer lived than goblins but not by a lot.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Boy I got to episode 63 where they fight Sondur in the feywild and the video is broke as gently caress. Audio cuts out repeatedly throughout, and at the break the video turns into flashing blocks of green and purple for the rest of the video. It’s a shame.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Spoilers for the very end of S1, but I just watched that Matt Colville video where he explains the bit about Scanlan's plan for his 9th level spell, and the reactions and everything, and it's such a doozy. What a moment for a tabletop game, holy poo poo....

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Teddybear posted:

Boy I got to episode 63 where they fight Sondur in the feywild and the video is broke as gently caress. Audio cuts out repeatedly throughout, and at the break the video turns into flashing blocks of green and purple for the rest of the video. It’s a shame.

They uploaded a fixed version of that, I thought? This should be the fixed one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS5aMcxkldI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Keru posted:

They uploaded a fixed version of that, I thought? This should be the fixed one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS5aMcxkldI

Oh. Well. Wish that they didn’t have it unlisted so that it would’ve come up as the next one. I’m not using the official playlist.